Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The White Dragon posted:

Haha, well we'll see. It would make for a good combo thread of Shining Soul + Crystal Chronicles; I just haven't been very lucky with recording, is all. Are there any Kaillera-compatible GBA emulators? I'm seeing some hits about Hamachi.

Not really... in fact there aren't supposed to be any netplayable GBA emulators period.

The closest thing I know of is using a VBA build with LAN playing capability, and using Hamachi to trick the emulator into letting you do it over the Internet. I cannot imagine that works well "at all" though. Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Douche Bag posted:

Could I get some opinions on Planescape: Torment? I've never played a crpg before and I need to fix that. Is it a good place to start?

You should probably 'modernize' Planescape Torment before you play. This guide is pretty handy.
http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

The guide tells you exactly what it is you're doing, and the options are all entirely customisable; if you don't want to install bugfixes, then don't, just up the game resolution.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 21, 2012

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Yechezkel posted:

These Final Fantasy games are in sale in Playstation Store for US and Canada from today until next Tuesday:

Are the PS1 ports of FF 5 & 6 as lovely as the Chrono Trigger one was? As in, are there any weird slowdown or loading issues at all?b FF6 was part of the same collection as CT if I recall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
FF6 was pretty awful, yeah. FF5 is playable even though it's slower than it should be, but the translation is pretty hillariously awful, which sucks when you look at the great GBA translation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I ran through Planescape a year or two ago, and while I enjoyed it I found it very much a product of its time. Everything requires a lot of patience, whether it's the combat or simply figuring out where to go next. That's always been my problem with games like Planescape and the first two Fallouts; there's a lot of really brilliant stuff in there, but a lot of fun was sapped out simply because I was constantly worried about loving up some very specific requirements for the plot or a sidequest. I pretty much had to walkthrough all of these sort of games from the get-go, which of course isn't really the right way to go about it. I guess back then they just expected you to play these games over and over to memorize all of the sub-events and stuff.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
With Fallout I'd say the trick is to just do what seems cool and say "gently caress it" to anything you don't happen to experience. The game is all about each play through being unique, and it definitely doesn't encourage you to try and do everything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think you have to worry about screwing side quests up so much as just flat out missing them. There's a lot of hidden stuff in general.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just got an old ps2 from a friend with some sweet rpg games. I have three choices it seems: Persona 3, Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Quest 8. I'm leaning a bit towards dragon quest because I gaddamn love the old games. What do you goons suggest? (For the record I thought ff13 was a piece of garbage, loved ff6 and FFT, played all the PS1 final fantasys and didnt really like them)

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Draque 8 if only cuz FF12s getting a HD port and P3 has better version on PSP

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WYA posted:

I just got an old ps2 from a friend with some sweet rpg games. I have three choices it seems: Persona 3, Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Quest 8. I'm leaning a bit towards dragon quest because I gaddamn love the old games. What do you goons suggest? (For the record I thought ff13 was a piece of garbage, loved ff6 and FFT, played all the PS1 final fantasys and didnt really like them)

DQ8 by far, if you like the old stuff. It does not skimp on classic gameplay, plus the 'world map' is really well done with some good music.

Persona 3 comes in second. But there's also a better version on PSP.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Definitely don't get P3. However, do get P3FES, the enhanced rerelease. P3P is not unquestionably better; it as a new twist on the story with a female protagonist (but how would you appreciate that without playing the original) and some combat improvements from P4 but at the loss of the 3D environments in favor of a visual novel style which is at least to me a huge bummer.

E: Oh, you already had these? Is your version isn't Persona 3 FES you're kinda missing out, they added a whole playable epilogue an poo poo.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Amppelix posted:

Definitely don't get P3. However, do get P3FES, the enhanced rerelease. P3P is not unquestionably better; it as a new twist on the story with a female protagonist (but how would you appreciate that without playing the original) and some combat improvements from P4 but at the loss of the 3D environments in favor of a visual novel style which is at least to me a huge bummer.

E: Oh, you already had these? Is your version isn't Persona 3 FES you're kinda missing out, they added a whole playable epilogue an poo poo.

I think its just the regular one, how do you tell? Yeah when I get home I'm gonna crack open the DQ8

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It will literally say "FES" in the title, you can't miss it.

E: See here: http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-Playstation-2/dp/B0014CN2H6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332350677&sr=8-1

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 21, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a lot of main game refinement in FES: more side quests, more items, more personas, and a few other gameplay related tidbits.

The epilogue chapter is actually kind of lovely in all honesty since it's mainly a dungeon crawl, arguably one the weaker aspects of the Persona games.

FES and P3PSP are basically in a constant argument over which is the definitive version of Persona 3 these days. It honestly wouldn't be the end of the world if you ever played the original P3 and then went straight to P3PSP. That's basically what I did as I saw no reason to replay FES after P3 - all the little refinements weren't enough of a motivator for me. P3PSP offers a new character arc through the female MC which is different enough to warrant a new play through.

--

DQ8 is a really good game. I would definitely play that first based on your post.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WYA posted:

Dragon Quest 8 no question. Especially if you love the old games. I have to ask, why would you even consider playing FF13 when you didn't play DQ8?

Also, if you didn't like the PS1 FFs or FF13, I really don't see why you would like FF12.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Dragon Quest 8 no question. Especially if you love the old games. I have to ask, why would you even consider playing FF13 when you didn't play DQ8?

Also, if you didn't like the PS1 FFs or FF13, I really don't see why you would like FF12.

Because FF12 is completely different in so many aspects including gameplay, music, art, story presentation, dialogue, and the ever important FUN FACTOR?

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

nene. posted:

Because FF12 is completely different in so many aspects including gameplay, music, art, story presentation, dialogue, and the ever important FUN FACTOR?

Yeah FF12 is much more similar, stylistically at least, to FF6 and FFT (FFT and FF12 even share the same drat setting).

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Okay, maybe a dumb question, but why wouldn't Pier Solar work in one of the Genesis emulators? If it can work on a standard Genesis... shouldn't it not also work on the emulator? Not advocating piracy, but that would surely increase their audience tremendously.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It would. They just don't want to distribute a ROM. This is an experience only for the Sega Genesis :byodood:

I kind of understand, but it seems so stupid to spend huge amounts of effort on a game and then let only the most limited of crowds play it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Morpheus posted:

DQ8 by far, if you like the old stuff. It does not skimp on classic gameplay, plus the 'world map' is really well done with some good music.

Persona 3 comes in second. But there's also a better version on PSP.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, this game is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. A fun classic-inspired rpg. I'm not afraid of a little bit of grind and am delighted to find the first dungeon pretty difficult if you dont grind a bit.

Edit: What are copper monster coins for? Just selling? Can I ruin the game by not allocating skills correctly? Any respecs?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Monster medals are for selling. You won't need them.

The game won't give you enough skill points for everything and you can't respec; you should pick two things per character to specialize in. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you the important unlocks until later. But it's not hard enough that you'll screw yourself over. For the characters in order of recruitment, I recommend: Swords and Courage, anything because they're all good, Staves and anything else, and anything because they're all terrible.

Dragon Quest 8 isn't just classic-inspired.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!
So just to clarify, before I plunk down $5, the PSN version of FF6 still has the load time slowdown that the PS1 discs did? I never played the PS1 re-releases; is the load time a deal breaker?

I have FF6 for the GBA already but I really want to play it on my TV :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

So just to clarify, before I plunk down $5, the PSN version of FF6 still has the load time slowdown that the PS1 discs did? I never played the PS1 re-releases; is the load time a deal breaker?

I have FF6 for the GBA already but I really want to play it on my TV :ohdear:

The PSN version of FF6 does indeed have Problems.

Other, better ways to play it on your TV include:
  • Getting it on Wii Virtual Console
  • Getting the GBA version and playing it on a Gamecube with the Game Boy Player
  • Attaching your computer to your television and running it in an emulator

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

nene. posted:

FF12s getting a HD port

Wait, what? When was this announced? 12 is only second to 6 as my favorite FF so I'm really excited about it, but I can't believe I missed the announcement!

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Azraden posted:

Wait, what? When was this announced? 12 is only second to 6 as my favorite FF so I'm really excited about it, but I can't believe I missed the announcement!

Pretty sure they're thinking of the HD remake of 10 which was announced last year.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The rumor is that if the remake of 10 does well then they'll follow up with remakes of 10-2 and 12.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Amppelix posted:

It would. They just don't want to distribute a ROM. This is an experience only for the Sega Genesis :byodood:

I kind of understand, but it seems so stupid to spend huge amounts of effort on a game and then let only the most limited of crowds play it.

That's up for debate, supposedly due to the hackery involved in getting a 64mbit cartridge to work it wouldn't work in an emulator without some patching involved. It can be dumped but none of the emulator makers are working on patches because they don't want to be the dickhead that made an indie game pirate-able.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

flyboi posted:

That's up for debate, supposedly due to the hackery involved in getting a 64mbit cartridge to work it wouldn't work in an emulator without some patching involved. It can be dumped but none of the emulator makers are working on patches because they don't want to be the dickhead that made an indie game pirate-able.

I said it before but the solution is simple: create a Steam version. Built in DRM and it sounds like these guys can do it. You can already buy Sega Genesis games on Steam as it is, why not this one? Hobbyists, man.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Levantine posted:

I said it before but the solution is simple: create a Steam version. Built in DRM and it sounds like these guys can do it. You can already buy Sega Genesis games on Steam as it is, why not this one? Hobbyists, man.

Steam games are still pirated quite frequently.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

When someone makes a cartridge game more powerful than what the console can handle, they can make up for it by putting additional resources on the cartridge itself. The best example of this would probably be Star Fox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_%28video_game%29#Development

The processor put into the Pier Solar, by necessity, is more powerful than the genesis itself. The genesis only had a 7.67 Mhz 16 bit processor and could only address at most 16 Mb of memory. Which means it would be incapable of even looking at 3/4ths of cartridge.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bank switching was hardly an unknown technique and there were plenty of 32Mb releases (and a 40Mb one) late in the system's life.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

Steam games are still pirated quite frequently.

Doesn't mean the site isn't a good place for the game to be sold at.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 1, 2014

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Every Diablo game, Borderlands, Neverwinter Nights off the top of my head

Rakion and a ton of the other lobby based action MMOs as well

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Bank switching was hardly an unknown technique and there were plenty of 32Mb releases (and a 40Mb one) late in the system's life.

I've been looking in to this a bit. Preliminary research is showing that there were a few different ways they implemented games larger than the 4MB limit that was in place when the system originally came out. None of those variations supported 64 MB sized games, so no hardware variations implemented in emulators will currently run it. It seems the only active genesis emulation project I could find is currently avoiding implementing it because of some agreement with the developers of Pier Solar and it's angering homebrew developers who aren't trying to make money because they would benefit from people having easier access to their games.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mill Village posted:

Doesn't mean the site isn't a good place for the game to be sold at.

Yeah, I'd pay good money to play it on my PC but I'm not buying another piece of gaming hardware 20 years outside its lifecycle. I can only imagine the fervor over 16 bit classic RPG style games would sell boatloads too just due to Steam exposure.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I'd pay good money to play it on my PC but I'm not buying another piece of gaming hardware 20 years outside its lifecycle. I can only imagine the fervor over 16 bit classic RPG style games would sell boatloads too just due to Steam exposure.
poo poo, I still have my Genesis and I'm not interested in messing around with getting it hooked up and such to play some game I've just suddenly heard of.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Haha I just played Dragon Quest 8 to the point where you get Jessica and I just need to ask this question: whats the deal with RPGs and tit-bounce physics? Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous and slightly creepy?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

rodbeard posted:

I've been looking in to this a bit. Preliminary research is showing that there were a few different ways they implemented games larger than the 4MB limit that was in place when the system originally came out. None of those variations supported 64 MB sized games, so no hardware variations implemented in emulators will currently run it. It seems the only active genesis emulation project I could find is currently avoiding implementing it because of some agreement with the developers of Pier Solar and it's angering homebrew developers who aren't trying to make money because they would benefit from people having easier access to their games.

Said developer also helped program Pier Solar, so you'll have that. Part of it though is the people responsible for Pier Solar aren't someone like Mojang or Nicalais who want to get rich selling indie games, these are hardcore NERDS who used to frequent a place called Eidolon's Inn which was/is a hub for all things Sega. It's like if Zybourne Clock came from somewhere full of people that weren't retarded lazy goons. They just wanted to make something for Genesis because they could, and are sharing it. Sure, it sucks it can only play on it but they honestly give no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

WYA posted:

Haha I just played Dragon Quest 8 to the point where you get Jessica and I just need to ask this question: whats the deal with RPGs and tit-bounce physics? Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous and slightly creepy?

Japan.

Jesto posted:

Also, any decent 2 player RPGs? Pay, free, whichever.

Friend let me make sure you're not excluding gems such as Trine and the upcoming Torchlight 2.