Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Only took 6+ months, but I picked up my hardtop today after lucking in to a slightly overpriced (but color matching) top in great shape. Defrost and liner. I'm liking how quiet it is, and how free of holes and rips it is.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Yes I'm whoring this thread up. Why the F won't this axle come out? I've PB blasted it, hammered at it, heated it with a torch, and the thing won't budge even with my 12 ton press. Nut came off no problem.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes they just get locked in there, not a drat thing you can do to remove it but replace it. The right rear of my NB is never coming out :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
The rusty NB I'm working on had it pop out with just a tap of a deadblow. :wtf:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have another tyre question - neither Azeni's nor Star Specs appear to exist in England, at least not in Miata sizes. Does anybody have any other recommendations for tyres to fit 14" x 6" wheels? I know Toyo makes T1-R's in all sorts of oddball sizes and I'd happily put those on but wanted some second opinions.

r.e. the axle problem, do the splines twist easily on these? I have 0 experience with Miata axles but every other car I've seen that happen on the spline has made a nice spiral shape. :shobon:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That exact thing happened to the right front of my MS3. I'm pretty sure by the time you need a press poo poo has gone south since at this point you're probably mushrooming the axle further into the splines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the cheapo bluetooth OBD2 scanner arrived and I was able to pull the code that was causing CEL to come on from time to time. The code? P0500, speed sensor fault. I kind of figured it might be related to the speedometer not working from time to time :v:

From what I've seen this could be either a broken cable, or poor electric contact on the speed sensor. How does this actually work on a 5-speed NBFL? I'm having a hard time imagining how both options are possible on the same car. I think I sometimes can hear some speed-correlated noise from behind the dashboard, but it's really difficult to tell with all the normal Miata noises.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

jammyozzy posted:

I have another tyre question - neither Azeni's nor Star Specs appear to exist in England, at least not in Miata sizes. Does anybody have any other recommendations for tyres to fit 14" x 6" wheels? I know Toyo makes T1-R's in all sorts of oddball sizes and I'd happily put those on but wanted some second opinions.

r.e. the axle problem, do the splines twist easily on these? I have 0 experience with Miata axles but every other car I've seen that happen on the spline has made a nice spiral shape. :shobon:
I know AI considers the Azenis to be the best but I was told these were by a Miata guy.
dunlop direzza
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=195%2F&ratio=60&diameter=14

If that's not the case I'd like to hear about it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

I know AI considers the Azenis to be the best but I was told these were by a Miata guy.
dunlop direzza
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=195%2F&ratio=60&diameter=14

If that's not the case I'd like to hear about it.

No, AI doesn't consider the Azenis to be the best. And this guy is in England, where tire rack does not sell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sten Freak posted:

dunlop direzza
... z1 star spec

Which he said isn't available in England.

jammyozzy: What tire (or tyre) installers are available in your neck of the woods?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Sorry grouchy dudes, just trying to help and medicated for migraine.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The places I've been looking are https://www.camskill.co.uk/ (whose website looks shady as hell but they're legit), https://www.blackcircles.com and https://www.mytyres.co.uk

I have an excellent local garage that fits them for me so no need for a fully fitted service. :)

I guess my other question is how wide can I go on a 6" wide wheel? Is the stock 185 section my limit or can I go wider?

*E* At this point I'm tempted to just throw trackday tyres on it for a giggle. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know of a few people that fitted 225/45R15s on the stock 15x6 wheel. They were Hooiser A6 for autocross, though.

Just checked out all 3 sites for 195/60R14s and it does not look pretty. The Falken ZE-912s aren't bad, but they aren't super sticky summer tires. They ride alright, provide a decent amount of grip, and are pretty drat cheap.

You might need to look at buying 15" wheels to get into real summer tires, such as Hankook R-S2s which haven't been available in America for 2 years now (oh god).

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
That's what I was afraid of, I've already started looking at 15" wheels on EBay.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
What is everyone's opinion on these for a '99? I like their looks, weight, and price. The only issue I have with them is that they require a lug adapter. Will I run in any issues using a lug adapter at all?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

oRenj9 posted:

What is everyone's opinion on these for a '99? I like their looks, weight, and price. The only issue I have with them is that they require a lug adapter. Will I run in any issues using a lug adapter at all?

I'm partial to the 949racing wheels for any Miata. Why do you need a lug adapter?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're 4x100 :confused:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the lug adapter may be in reference to the spline-drive lugs popular with many aftermarket wheels?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Tire Rack just put that as one of the free installation hardware but didn't provide a picture. I have no clue why they include it. It may be what IOwnCalculus said.

tirerack posted:

(16) Required lugnut for vehicle (Nickel Plated)
(4) TR Motorsports light grey C-series center cap
(1) Lug adapter

I guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger them then. The 949racing wheels look awesome, but they are a bit more than I'm wanting to spend.

Thanks guys.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

They mean hub rings most likely which aren't anything to worry about either way.

E: oh wait just one, guess it's a deep well socket or something.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Piano posted:

They mean hub rings most likely which aren't anything to worry about either way.

E: oh wait just one, guess it's a deep well socket or something.

Deep well socket makes sense here.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

These look ugly as sin as is, but on a car they actually look o.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

So the cheapo bluetooth OBD2 scanner arrived and I was able to pull the code that was causing CEL to come on from time to time. The code? P0500, speed sensor fault. I kind of figured it might be related to the speedometer not working from time to time :v:

From what I've seen this could be either a broken cable, or poor electric contact on the speed sensor. How does this actually work on a 5-speed NBFL? I'm having a hard time imagining how both options are possible on the same car. I think I sometimes can hear some speed-correlated noise from behind the dashboard, but it's really difficult to tell with all the normal Miata noises.

I just recently had to replace my speedo cable on my 96. It started with some squeaking/rattling coming from the front of the car at 40+mph and worked it's way to to right behind the dash at 20+mph. It also caused the needle to bounce a little bit at higher speeds. After I replaced the cable it was all remedied. I never got a CEL code for it though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The place I got my cooper s from last year has a 99 w/ a hard top and ABS with 84k on it for $8,700. I don't like that it's red, and I think it's a little overpriced, but the place is really close so I'll stop there for a minute on my way to go look at this S2000 :black101:

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Only took 6+ months, but I picked up my hardtop today after lucking in to a slightly overpriced (but color matching) top in great shape. Defrost and liner. I'm liking how quiet it is, and how free of holes and rips it is.

Awesome, looks great.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody looking for a complete torsen upgrade? Looks like I have an extra one sitting around...

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

These look ugly as sin as is, but on a car they actually look ok.

I'm partial to the 6UL's myself. It's definitely worth saving up a little longer.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Anyone feel like telling me if this is worth jumping on? I've been casually looking for a cheap Miata, and this is sounding decent to me.

95 Miata, 100k ish miles. Has the Popular Equipment Pack so we should be good on the Torsen+other goodies. Seller says the AC isn't working (mumbled something about a compressor not working), and that there are two tears in the top, one maybe an inch or so, one more of a pinhole.

Without me even asking he offered it at $3100.

I'm trying to find a time to test drive today/tomorrow, but assuming it isn't rusted out it sounds like a pretty good deal. The AC I'd like to fix, but not urgently by any stretch, but the roof tears worry me a bit - can I just patch small holes effectively? Anything else I should be looking for?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I paid 3k for my '95 PEP with 130k miles on it, the only issue it has is rusted rockers where the roof drain is, but it's an easy enough fix. The car was really clean and well taken care of so I jumped on it, a lot of the Miatas out there (especially NA's) for sale are ragged on and need a lot to get them up to par.

I would say if the car is clean and doesn't seem neglected it's worth the asking price. Maybe try to talk him down a bit because of the top.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I would talk him down exactly the purchase price of a new top plus installation. That thing will leak. If you patch it, it will look like rear end. The patches will eventually wear and crack themselves.

If he doesnt budge then its just not worth it in my opinion. There are other miatas.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My top is using black gorilla tape to hold the rear window seal together along the top. Sure, it looks like crap but it keeps out water, cost me 5$ instead of the cost of a new top, and the top's down most of the time anyway.

I'll replace the top eventually, but for now I'd rather spend money on tires.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Rocker rust isn't a big deal to fix? I always looked at much rust anywhere as a very bad thing.

Welp, I'm driving it tomorrow morning. I'm not a total perfectionist, and I know that its going to be a car that would be eligible to vote in the upcoming election. If I can patch the holes to keep the thing watertight I'm all right with that.

Is there anything better than the used miata buying guide on miata.net to know what to check out on the car? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mutar posted:

Rocker rust isn't a big deal to fix? I always looked at much rust anywhere as a very bad thing.

It's really not that bad as long as you're not trying to match and blend paint colors. I'm just going to get the rust out, weld in some new sheet metal and paint the rockers black. The area that has the problem is pretty localized, about a 10"x5" area right in front of the rear tire, as long as it doesn't spread to far in it's not too hard of a fix. I didn't catch it before I bought the car because I was a dumbass, but I still would have bought it and maybe tried to talk the price down a bit more because of it.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

eh - the cars black anyway, so color matching doesn't have to be exact. Good to know on that being a good item to negotiate on vs walk away from.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I drove my my mother-in-law's '99 for the first time in ages tonight. Despite the fact that it now badly needs shocks, tires, a good cleaning, and a fix to the idle droop problem... gently caress me that car is fun. I seriously wish I could find a car that was just as good but with a hardtop and more room for the driver at that kind of price.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Idle droop? What's that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ever since I bought it - and it's been slowly getting worse over the ~70k between then and now - when you clutch out prior to coming to an actual stop, the engine tries to idle too low and shudders around until the car stops. Once you actually stop the idle picks up a hundred revs or so and smooths out, though less so lately. I think it just means the IAC is gunked to hell and back. Funny thing is it doesn't matter how long you coast for, it will keep shuddering along until the car itself stops.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

jammyozzy posted:

The places I've been looking are https://www.camskill.co.uk/ (whose website looks shady as hell but they're legit), https://www.blackcircles.com and https://www.mytyres.co.uk

I have an excellent local garage that fits them for me so no need for a fully fitted service. :)

I guess my other question is how wide can I go on a 6" wide wheel? Is the stock 185 section my limit or can I go wider?

*E* At this point I'm tempted to just throw trackday tyres on it for a giggle. :v:

I used to never fit anything but Eagle f1 GSD3's, but they have gotten so silly expensive for 15" tyres and are now impossible to find so reluctantly went with the Toyos everyone raves about, they seem good from what little I have driven with them on so if you can find them in 14" I would go for them.

I wonder if Americans and UK drivers like different things or the tyres both areas like are the same just made by different people for different markets.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ever since I bought it - and it's been slowly getting worse over the ~70k between then and now - when you clutch out prior to coming to an actual stop, the engine tries to idle too low and shudders around until the car stops. Once you actually stop the idle picks up a hundred revs or so and smooths out, though less so lately. I think it just means the IAC is gunked to hell and back. Funny thing is it doesn't matter how long you coast for, it will keep shuddering along until the car itself stops.

Mine does this too. It's worse before the engine warms up fully, but yeah. If it's bothering you just blip the throttle when you stop, and that usually fixes it quickly. Apparently it can be caused by the EGR tube getting clogged up, I was getting a P0402 for a while. Cleaned out the intake manifold when I was doing my timing belt and it went away for a while, but it's slowly coming back. No codes though, and it's such a bitch to clean out I really can't be bothered to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is there a way to eliminate the EGR? Would be useful in states that don't test.