Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The girl Dark Shadows played the vampire in the American version of Let the Right One In, right? That's a bit of an amusing coincidence.

Or appropriate casting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

The girl Dark Shadows played the vampire in the American version of Let the Right One In, right? That's a bit of an amusing coincidence.

Chloe Moretz has been the go-to actress for any young girl character for the past couple years, particularly if they're supposed to be "edgey."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chloe Moretz will probably be the only good thing about that movie because Chloe Moretz loving owns.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

She's pretty good but she's pretty much a steaming pile of poo poo compared to Depp and Bonham-Carter, despite any audience backlash of them working together all the time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

kiimo posted:

She's pretty good but she's pretty much a steaming pile of poo poo compared to Depp and Bonham-Carter, despite any audience backlash of them working together all the time.

In terms of talent, or starpower? Because the answer to both is she's 14.

Jodie Foster or Dakota Fanning? The future is in your hands, Moretz.

Fake Edit: That may be unfair. Did Jodie Foster spend some time in the wilderness before becoming Jodie Foster?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

In terms of talent, or starpower? Because the answer to both is she's 14.

Jodie Foster or Dakota Fanning? The future is in your hands, Moretz.

Fake Edit: That may be unfair. Did Jodie Foster spend some time in the wilderness before becoming Jodie Foster?

I think Moretz darker roles will serve her well as she grows up. Too much of Fanning's appeal was bound up in being a cute child, which doesn't help an actor much once they pass 15.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

kiimo posted:

Yeah, that's one of the things that really frustrates me about Burton-- Depp and Carter are two of my favorite actors and the fact that he's made me actually angry to see them working together is pretty awful. Part of it is that, because they're his friends, he really doesn't seem to know how to cast them; so many of the roles he chooses for them are roles that don't work for their acting styles or personalities. Watching Depp muddle through Alice in Wonderland was just painful.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

I think Moretz darker roles will serve her well as she grows up. Too much of Fanning's appeal was bound up in being a cute child, which doesn't help an actor much once they pass 15.

I think Fanning has done a pretty good job transitioning over to more "adult" roles though. At least better than most child stars.

Although TBH, I feel like Elle is the one to watch more than Dakota right now. Could just be the roles, but I've been very impressed by the performances Elle has turned in lately.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Triumphant posted:

Yeah, that's one of the things that really frustrates me about Burton-- Depp and Carter are two of my favorite actors and the fact that he's made me actually angry to see them working together is pretty awful. Part of it is that, because they're his friends, he really doesn't seem to know how to cast them; so many of the roles he chooses for them are roles that don't work for their acting styles or personalities. Watching Depp muddle through Alice in Wonderland was just painful.

Watching Depp sleepwalk through Alice made me wonder if Burton was holding a gun behind the camera and forcing him to be QUIRKY AND WACKY. It was the least natural performance I've seen out of him, and this guy can usually do QUIRKY AND WACKY and make it funny and endearing without trying so hard. It was bizarre and awkward and made an already boring movie even worse.

Anne Hathaway was the best part of the movie and I'm not convinced that she was sober while shooting her scenes.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 22, 2012

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Anne Hathaway was channeling Lisa Marie with that performance.

swordfish707
Jul 2, 2007

Let it all out.

Benne posted:

Watching Depp sleepwalk through Alice made me wonder if Burton was holding a gun behind the camera and forcing him to be QUIRKY AND WACKY. It was the least natural performance I've seen out of him, and this guy can usually do QUIRKY AND WACKY and make it funny and endearing without trying so hard. It was bizarre and awkward and made an already boring movie even worse.

Anne Hathaway was the best part of the movie and I'm not convinced that she was sober while shooting her scenes.

For comparison, Benny and Joon. Quirky and wacky back when it was fresh, and well done, too.

Depp's Hatter always came off as just...forced.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

swordfish707 posted:

Depp's Hatter always came off as just...forced.

He always seemed really visibly bored to me. Like most of the goofy accents and weird tics were just things he was doing to try and give the character any semblance of personality or anything unique beyond "goofy makeup, Johnny Depp." Which makes me wonder how bad the screenplay and directing were, because it's really hard for Depp to turn in a performance that bad.

That movie was also just plain ugly. The CGI never looked natural, the art design was all over the place, and most of the plot was just mean-spirited and cruel. It broke my heart to watch it and think that the same man who gave us as gorgeous a film as Nightmare Before Christmas (yes I know Sellick directed it, but Burton's responsible for most of the visual style) made that and was proud of it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

swordfish707 posted:

For comparison, Benny and Joon. Quirky and wacky back when it was fresh, and well done, too.
It wasn't 100% fresh, considering he was using comedy routines from the 1920s. :colbert:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Anyway, back to movie posters. Or TV posters, in this case, because the posters for the new season of Game Of Thrones are fan-loving-tastic.

:siren: POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD :siren:

Benne fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 22, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Benne posted:

Anyway, back to movie posters. Or TV posters, in this case, because the posters for the new season of Game Of Thrones are fan-loving-tastic.

Link the first poster.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Benne posted:

Yeah, you might want to link to the first one. I didn't need to know that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So we have to use spoilers for things that happened last season?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bobkatt013 posted:

No, just don't spoil major events from a very current television show in the Movie Poster thread.

vvv Thanks!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

fenix down posted:

Link the first poster.

Done.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

bobkatt013 posted:

In threads completely unrelated to the show, where people who haven't finished the show don't expect spoilers? Probably.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yes

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

Holy poo poo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

I don't know what its meant to be about, but all I noticed was "interesting suit, five cuff buttons and pick stitching on the lapels". I do like that it appears to be an actual shot that he posed for.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I don't know what its meant to be about, but all I noticed was "interesting suit, five cuff buttons and pick stitching on the lapels". I do like that it appears to be an actual shot that he posed for.

It's basically a modern Ulysses-- one guy with too much money having an insane and self-destructive odyssey through Manhattan to get a haircut.

Also Cronenberg wrote the screenplay himself, which is a really good sign.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Triumphant posted:

It's basically a modern Ulysses-- one guy with too much money having an insane and self-destructive odyssey through Manhattan to get a haircut.

I will be lining up to see this. Thats the best one line description I've ever heard, and it looks like Rob Pattinson is turning into a real actor. Good on him.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
nevermind, wrong page

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I will be lining up to see this. Thats the best one line description I've ever heard, and it looks like Rob Pattinson is turning into a real actor. Good on him.

I've always liked Robert Pattinson, because he seemed to have a sense of humor about the Twilight films (which it was obvious he loving hated).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Surprised they left DeLillo in the small text, you'd think his name would be a pretty big draw. I guess the rule of three must be maintained.
e: whoever designed The Social Network poster must constantly feel they're owed royalties

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Max22 posted:

I've always liked Robert Pattinson, because he seemed to have a sense of humor about the Twilight films (which it was obvious he loving hated).

Isn't that the reason he took the role in Remember Me so he could troll the Twilight Fans? That movies ending was amazing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

Man. I really want to see this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Triumphant posted:

gently caress. I definitely feel an American Psycho vibe looking at that poster.

Also, I love that the text is essentially all you need to hear. "Pattinson Cronenberg Cosmopolis", all in slick and sharp Futura.

Also, didn't realize Kevin Durand is going to be in this. I might need to catch this on the first day.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

Are they hiring people from Tumblr now? Nah, just kidding. I think we will seeing this style of posters for a long time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Are they hiring people from Tumblr now? Nah, just kidding. I think we will seeing this style of posters for a long time.

Yeah I'm pretty sure in a few decades this style will be associated with the 2010s and we'll have some period movie that brings it back as a joke.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

At least with Cosmopolis it makes sense since the story, like The Social Network, is about a man who is intensely focused on himself, incredibly isolated, and bombarded by information. The style thematically fits with those movies, it's seeing it used on a poster for a film like Thor that's ridiculous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

:stare: What the gently caress is this and when is it coming out because I'm pretty sure I need to see it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: What the gently caress is this and when is it coming out because I'm pretty sure I need to see it

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LesterGroans posted:

Hahahah, I gotta see this. Amazing.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

...this looks like the most Cronenberg-y thing since Videodrome, oh my god.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Here it is in English

Cosmopolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Robert Pattinson is very obviously a good actor and a film geek to boot.

Thor will be the quintessential "man this movie is so 2010" thirty years from now. From the overuse of special effects to the overdone Aviano typeface, from Natalie Portman to the overuse of chromatic mediant relationships in the music, that movie was just so 2010. Well, it came out in 2011 but still.