Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's cool guys but

So, is clutchpuck right? Is it best with weight on it? If it says "20 % 25 mm" is about an inch of play with me on the bike good? I read on the ducatimonster.com forums that they often go about 30mm or so.

I do one inch of play.

You take the measurement 1/2 way between the sprockets (basically the front of the rear tire). The bike should be unloaded and on the kickstand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

:siren: OIL QUESTION :siren:

What are the drawbacks of running 5w40 in a bike that the manual states 10W40? I know the first number is the cold viscosity and I would think in theory the thinner oil should be better on a cold start up, but I assume bike manufacturers know this too and are sticking with 10W for a reason?

Is thicker oil better for some reason when cold?

Multi-weight oils are made using viscosity improvement additives, which shear when exposed to heat and pressure, ultimately thinning them out and protecting less. Generally, the wider the spread between winter weight and sae weight, the more viscosity additives are in the mix.

Running an oil with lower winter rating (thinner when cold) shouldn't be a big deal as long as it's fairly close, especially since a vast majority of the time you should be operating at full temp. I would be careful about letting the oil get to the top of the engine before riding and not beating on it until its warmed up.

One thing to look out for is the oil's viscosity index. A lower number means it will potentially shear down faster.

I'll guess you're looking at running Rotella T6. This is high quality stuff, JASO-MA wet clutch safe blah blah blah - it has a better viscosity index than Mobil1 4t, and is designed for long service in heavy duty applications, so it has a lot of shear resistance. I ran it for a few months in my vstar before I sold it and it seemed to work pretty great. There are lots of UOAs and discussions here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=49&page=1 - many T6.

THAT SAID, deviating from the manufacturer's recommended specs always carries risk.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 21, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say basically what clutchpuck just said. Also important to note that VI additives don't actually lubricate on their own.

You know the heavier your oil is, the more resistance it provides, so it's harder to crank off a cold start and loads your engine (and oil pump) more until it comes up to temp. Too thin is bad as well, you want that film there for your bearings to ride over and too thin = really unwanted contact. But the drop from 10w to 5w shouldn't be horrifyingly out of bounds.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'm not a motorcyclor and I've got question about some of the motorbikes that go past my house. They're coming up a slight incline from a roundabout, approx 150 yards from my house and I'd estimate they're going 50+mph when they go past me. They make different noises, some make a kind of barking noise and some really scream, are those ones that scream 600cc bikes?
I'm just guessing that the higher redline on 600cc bikes allows them to make the scream and the deeper sounding bikes are 1000cc?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where do you live?

The deep-sounding ones that rumble and crack are probably Harleys, and the high-pitched screaming ones are likely to be 600cc supersports, yes. The Harleys use a big, slow-turning V-twin and the supersports generally use a smaller, fast-spinning inline four.

There is a difference in sound between a 1000cc and 600cc inline-4 supersport with the same firing order and exhaust, but it's not significant unless you listen to a lot of motorcycles.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Crankit posted:

I'm not a motorcyclor and I've got question about some of the motorbikes that go past my house. They're coming up a slight incline from a roundabout, approx 150 yards from my house and I'd estimate they're going 50+mph when they go past me. They make different noises, some make a kind of barking noise and some really scream, are those ones that scream 600cc bikes?
I'm just guessing that the higher redline on 600cc bikes allows them to make the scream and the deeper sounding bikes are 1000cc?

600's need to run at higher RPM's than a literbike to make power. You'll hear them winding around 12-16k if they are trying to make power and staying in the right gears around a corner. The Literbikes are probably turning anywhere from 5k-10k. A lot of it depends on what exhaust the bike has and whether it's an inline 4 cylinder or a V-twin.

There's a guy in my in laws neighborhood that thinks I burn through there at 80 mph. He comes over every time I ride through to yell at me. I rarely get out of second gear on my DRZ going into the neighborhood so I'm not going more than 30, it just sounds like I'm going fast because I'm in the 7-9k RPM range. I am really getting tired of his baseless complaints though so I may just start wheelieing into the neighborhood just so he actually has a valid complaint.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

his baseless complaints

There are noise by-laws, you know. I assume your exhaust is within the limit but it would still be a pain in the rear end to get a defect ticket and have to get it examined.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

There are noise by-laws, you know. I assume your exhaust is within the limit but it would still be a pain in the rear end to get a defect ticket and have to get it examined.

Stock DRZ CA model exhaust is compliant with the noise laws. He's just an old rear end in a top hat, he gives everyone in the neighborhood poo poo about everything. He yelled at me for letting my dog poo poo in my own yard and I had a baggy in my hand. He's not complaining about the noise, but about the "speed" which as I've said is sub 30mph in a 25 zone. Lots of kids/animals in the neighborhood and my in laws aren't 1/8th of a mile from the turn in, no reason whatsoever to go stupid fast.

That being said there's a squid on a Gixxer down the street that I know has run 90+ through the nigheborhood. It's possible the old coot thinks that's my bike even though they look nothing alike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think it's just the guy mistakenly associates high revs with high speed. I've had people admonish me for 'riding too fast' when I've taken off from a light in front of them and left them way behind, even though I had just accelerated quicker than them - I hadn't broken the speed limit or anything.

In short, people are idiots and don't know the difference between velocity and acceleration or how gears and revs don't correlate 1:1 with speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In Ontario, "excessive acceleration" is a street-racing offense that can carry a $10,000 fine with instant license suspension and roadside vehicle impoundment. If you chirp your tires on the way to 35mph, that counts.

:(

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think it's just the guy mistakenly associates high revs with high speed. I've had people admonish me for 'riding too fast' when I've taken off from a light in front of them and left them way behind, even though I had just accelerated quicker than them - I hadn't broken the speed limit or anything.

In short, people are idiots and don't know the difference between velocity and acceleration or how gears and revs don't correlate 1:1 with speed.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. My neighbor has a new born baby and sleep is a precious commodity for them. They asked me if I could start my bike out a little further in the mornings. I was more than happy to oblige and I've actually started rolling it down a house length before cranking it. If you have a valid complaint I'll gladly listen and respond in a pleasant manner. If you're just being a controlling dick to damned bad for you, jackass.

I'll admit I'm kind of confrontational, but it's more a result of people trying to tell me what to do. I really don't appreciate that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

In Ontario, "excessive acceleration" is a street-racing offense that can carry a $10,000 fine with instant license suspension and roadside vehicle impoundment. If you chirp your tires on the way to 35mph, that counts.

:(

There is a similar law here in NZ, and it's purely up to the cops discretion whether you get ticketed or not.

Basically, if you're burning rubber and making a ruckus ... you're gonna get a ticket. I have heard of people getting tickets just because the cop had a bad day so ...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

:psyduck: How do you even quantify that as a rule?
Is $10,000 the maximum fine, or the default, flat rate?

What if you put a little too much throttle down on the exit of a turn and the back starts to drift out? I do that probably twice a day...

Can you get done for excessive deceleration? I am way too used to a slipper clutch and I often chirp the back tyre on loaner bikes which don't have one.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones to use while riding and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. In particular I'm looking for ones that are comfortable, have a slim profile (i.e. easy to fit under a helmet), and have decent sound quality. I don't mind spending a bit more for nicer ones.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kuvo posted:

I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones to use while riding and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. In particular I'm looking for ones that are comfortable, have a slim profile (i.e. easy to fit under a helmet), and have decent sound quality. I don't mind spending a bit more for nicer ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-MODA-Vibe-Earbuds-Red-Roxx-/120881021679?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c251202ef#ht_1491wt_1398

I have these, and have also lost a pair. They're amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-MODA-Vibe...1#ht_500wt_1156

Silver is cheaper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

There's a guy in my in laws neighborhood that thinks I burn through there at 80 mph. He comes over every time I ride through to yell at me. I rarely get out of second gear on my DRZ going into the neighborhood so I'm not going more than 30, it just sounds like I'm going fast because I'm in the 7-9k RPM range. I am really getting tired of his baseless complaints though so I may just start wheelieing into the neighborhood just so he actually has a valid complaint.

DRZ's seem to piss people off who dont know poo poo about poo poo.

STORY TIME!

Back when I had my 05 DRZ SM, I was cruising through some neighborhood, and some guy there got the impression that I was doing 100mph, despite doing the speed limit of 25. I didnt even see him, and continued on my merry way, which involved heading out on to a rural highway.

While cruising along (again, at the speed limit), I see his BMW (car) closing rapidly on me in my rear view mirror. When I pulled up to the next stop sign, he rushes up alongside me screaming about how I was going to kill someone, and how he was going straight to the police.

Thankfully I didnt instantly tell him to gently caress off, instead I asked him what the hell he was talking about. He proceeded to explain how I was speeding, and going so fast that he had to do 140mph in his bimmer (on a 55mph road) to catch me. Then came the greatest feeling ever in these situations. I just calmly explained to him that I'd be glad to follow him to the police station so he could explain how he did 140 in a 55 to catch a bike that cant even break 100mph. He claimed he was still going to the police, so I followed him. Oddly enough, he never went to the police station.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know some of you have had laser eye surgery, so how did it go? My eye doctor said I'm an excellent candidate, so I'm strongly considering it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

:psyduck: How do you even quantify that as a rule?
Is $10,000 the maximum fine, or the default, flat rate?

What if you put a little too much throttle down on the exit of a turn and the back starts to drift out? I do that probably twice a day...

Can you get done for excessive deceleration? I am way too used to a slipper clutch and I often chirp the back tyre on loaner bikes which don't have one.

"Street racing" in Ontario is a separate charge that goes on top of whatever your actual violation is. Having street racing appended to your violation is a mandatory flat rate of $10,000 with vehicle impoundment and license suspension (30 days and up) on top of whatever you get for the basic violation.

50km/h over the limit is always considered street racing, even if there's no one else on the road for you to race with. The other situation is basically "if the cop thinks you were racing". Not too long ago there was a guy in my town who got written up in the paper for his charge; he was pulled over going 90km/h in a 60, but the policeman saw him take off from the stoplight down the road with squealing tires, so it became street racing via excessive acceleration.

You're not likely to get stopped *just* for chirping the tires, but if a cop sees you backing it in around a turn with the rear tire losing traction and he's having a bad day, welp

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I have a rather unorthodox question. What kind of physical training should I focus on to feel more confident on a bike? I'm going to be getting my license from the BRC this summer, and I probably won't be buying and riding a bike until the start of the season next year, so I have plenty of time to work on an exercise regimen. I just don't know how confident I would be riding around on a 300-500lb motorcycle.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I know some of you have had laser eye surgery, so how did it go? My eye doctor said I'm an excellent candidate, so I'm strongly considering it.

A friend of mine (who doesn't ride) was told the same thing by his doc. He was unsure at first but after he went for it he marvelled that he hadn't done it sooner. He said the surgery was pretty uneventful, you don't feel anything, the main ball-ache is not having the use of that eye for a few days after (while it heals).

Dzus posted:

What kind of physical training should I focus on to feel more confident on a bike?

In my experience? Riding the bike more is the best way. You use an odd set of muscles when you ride; I've noticed certain muscles have developed way more than normal in the 3 and a half years I've been riding daily. I may have had an easier time initially, though. Certainly when it comes to shifting around on the bike, because I had cycle commuted for about 11 straight years before I got into Motos. So maybe do some road cycling? If nothing else it will do a lot for your situational awareness in traffic as all the morons nearly kill you.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 22, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dzus posted:

I have a rather unorthodox question. What kind of physical training should I focus on to feel more confident on a bike? I'm going to be getting my license from the BRC this summer, and I probably won't be buying and riding a bike until the start of the season next year, so I have plenty of time to work on an exercise regimen. I just don't know how confident I would be riding around on a 300-500lb motorcycle.

You'll be surprised at how the weight disappears (well, within the weight range you're talking about, tourers are always pigs) once you get the bike up to speed. Riding a motorcycle is not like riding a bike, where you can muscle it around with your weight...it's more like a horse, where you can steer it to where you want it to go but you can't just overpower it. You operate the controls, but the bike does the work of steering. Get it?

That said, core strength and arm strength are both good so you can maintain a good position comfortably, and steering "effort" is going to be stronger than a modern power-steering one-finger car, if there's any way to make that comparison that isn't stupid.

(I know nothing about really hard track riding etc but I have heard that it requires immense muscle control, if not outright strength, so only take what I'm saying as the case for average street riding)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 22, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Thankfully I didnt instantly tell him to gently caress off, instead I asked him what the hell he was talking about. He proceeded to explain how I was speeding, and going so fast that he had to do 140mph in his bimmer (on a 55mph road) to catch me. Then came the greatest feeling ever in these situations. I just calmly explained to him that I'd be glad to follow him to the police station so he could explain how he did 140 in a 55 to catch a bike that cant even break 100mph. He claimed he was still going to the police, so I followed him. Oddly enough, he never went to the police station.

Of all the times not to have a GoPro.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Dzus posted:

I am made of noodles and have no problem. Muscling the bike around isn't smooth, but not poo poo either.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I muscle the DRZ around all the time... In dirt riding it's very common to muscle it during slow technical riding. You can't always be at speed on a bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

That said, core strength and arm strength are both good so you can maintain a good position comfortably, and steering "effort" is going to be stronger than a modern power-steering one-finger car, if there's any way to make that comparison that isn't stupid.

Yeah I should say that pretty much all the muscle I have developed is to do with me moving around the bike and not the other way round. There is really very little effort required to get a bike going in one direction or another. When you start hanging off the inside or pulling stoppies and wheelies it requires slightly more physical prowess however.

I'm still poo poo at wheelies. Can stoppie like a boss though. :c00l:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dzus posted:

Once you get moving, a 100lb motorcycle is essentially the same as a 500lb bike, in the sense of keeping it upright, and basic maneuvering. Once you get beyond that, then the weight of the bike makes a difference.

Still though, there are plenty of 120lb people who drive 800lb Harleys

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I want to make the switch over to a master link chain, something like a D.I.D. I know the DRZ uses a 520 chain, but what length do I need? I'm only -1 on the front sprocket. The stock chain is still binding a bit, I think at 5 years old and 7k miles it might be ready to be retired.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Endless Mike posted:

I ride and I had it done six years ago. It is one of the most awesome things I have ever done! Keep in mind that many people suffer from severe dry eye for many months after the surgery. (It took me over a year to really get over it.) Riding a motorcycle while recovering sort of sucked, but now I LOVE IT.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Still though, there are plenty of 120lb girls who drive 883 Harleys

I couldn't resist. A late fifties sporty showed up on the list for a stolen price the other day. I want it. But I'll stick to Cheap Bikes.

Anyone have an HJC IS-16? I am looking at them as they seem to be a decent helmet for the price. How loud are they? For reference I currently have a beat up Cl-12 that needs replacing, and it's a bit loud.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endless Mike posted:

Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit. Best decision I ever made. gently caress having to deal with glasses + helmet again. Or even just glasses full stop. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3179993&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Have you LASIK people had issues with dry eyes? I can imagine that'd be a huge pain in a helmet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, and yes it is. But it's far out-weighed by the positives.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How often do you guys use nutral while riding?

Mines easy as pie to find. So I find myself using it pretty often. But the jolt every time I engage first makes me wonder if I'm beating the poo poo out of my dogs.

As far as I can tell, the clutch is adjusted properly

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ziploc posted:

Mines easy as pie to find. So I find myself using it pretty often. But the jolt every time I engage first makes me wonder if I'm beating the poo poo out of my dogs.

Never unless the cops are chasing me and I want to turn around backwards on my busa and flip them off while going 80mph

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll usually get neutral instead of second a few times after I set off, which is a combo of clutch/gearbox(/bike in general) being grumpy when it's cold and lazy shifting on my part. Apart from that nah, don't even get falses on mine and I beat on it hard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I meant while stopped for any time longer than 5 seconds.

Should have added that.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

Pretty much every bike clunks when it goes into first, I've never had one that didn't.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ziploc posted:

Like, use it to coast? Never, once I found out that you can hold the clutch in forever. That, and these things have the aerodynamics of a brick, so coasting is pretty much useless. If it bumps into first hard, try going into second, then down to first; that should help.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
One of my schools has a big fuckoff hill that I like to coast down in neutral. No good reason to, I just do it because I can.

My first bike had a really stiff clutch when I got it and I used to pop it in neutral at longer stops because my fingers would get sore otherwise. Then I adjusted the clutch :downs:

Glad to know I won't be expected to find N at every stop on my upcoming bike exam, was actually wondering about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The only way I can get into neutral is by going into second, then slightly pushing the lever down into N. It's basically impossible to get into neutral while in first.

Except of course, when I'm actually RIDING it. Bad bike.