Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LesterGroans posted:

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

:suspense:
Oh dear God,I don't like Robert "Foot Face" Pattinson very much, but I have to see this.
Win me with this, and I'll forget the Twilight garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Max22 posted:

I've always liked Robert Pattinson, because he seemed to have a sense of humor about the Twilight films (which it was obvious he loving hated).

Him making Rupert Grint read the twilight books is the best thing ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LesterGroans posted:

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

Uhh, yeah, I'm now 110% sure I need to see this.

Looks Cronenbergy as gently caress.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhh, yeah, I'm now 110% sure I need to see this.

Looks Cronenbergy as gently caress.

Yeah, it's like old Cronenberg too. Oh, how I missed you skullfucker. I loved History of Violence and Eastern Promises, but they seemed like they came from a different man.

Long live the new flesh!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I can't be the only one who wondered "WTF is K'Naan?" after seeing that poster.

And I think Robert Pattinson is kind of this generation's Leonardo DiCaprio right after Titanic. We (males) loath him right now, but he'll have some amazing roles in the (near) future.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 22, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A true DiCaprio fan has appreciated him since Critters 3 :colbert: and knows Titanic was just a small film to give him exposure.

Speaking of, the re-released covers of Critters 3 with him in the cover are hilarious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's like old Cronenberg too. Oh, how I missed you skullfucker. I loved History of Violence and Eastern Promises, but they seemed like they came from a different man.

Long live the new flesh!

A Dangerous Method and A History Of Violence were both incredible, but Eastern Promises didn't grab me at all. Though I only saw it once (when it was in theaters). All I really remember about it is Viggo Mortensen doing naked acrobatics through a bath house.

I should probably re-watch it one of these days :shobon:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's really messed up because I think Eastern Promises is the best of the bunch and it isn't close. You should watch it again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So is K'naan some sort of Klingon?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Gonz posted:

So is K'naan some sort of Klingon?

Saw K'naan open for Massive Attack. He was replacing DJ Shadow last minute.

gently caress K'naan.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

kiimo posted:

That's really messed up because I think Eastern Promises is the best of the bunch and it isn't close. You should watch it again.
I remember seeing Eastern Promises, and I remember enjoying it, but I don't actually remember much of anything *about* it. If you were to ask me what it was about, all I could say was "Russian mobsters". Not because it had a strange plot, but because it just wasn't memorable to me at all for some reason. I didn't think it was a bad movie, I just keep forgetting I ever actually watched it.

It's the only Cronenberg movie I've seen, though. Well, actually, I tried watching The Fly when it showed on TV once, but it was too nasty for me (in every meaning of the word, even edited for TV), so I didn't watch all of it.

Still, this new one looks... interesting (the teaser made me literally go :stare:), and I'm actually kinda looking forward to it. I like the poster, too, and don't think it's that much like the Social Network style that's been aped a lot lately (It's not a giant face/floating head, the words are only really in the middle of the poster, not covering the whole thing, and instead of a tag-line, it's the title and two big names of people involved with the movie).

Edit:VVVVVV Just looked it up, Videodrome is on Netflix Instant, think I will check it out. And I know somebody in my family has a copy of History of Violence, might have to track it down as well.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 22, 2012

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Eh! Frank posted:

It's the only Cronenberg movie I've seen, though.

Clear out your weekend and rent Videodrome and A History Of Violence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You're doing yourself a disservice as a viewer of film if you don't watch The Fly all the way through at least once. Videodrome too, but to a lesser degree (I still love it but I wouldn't say it's required viewing for everyone).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Triumphant posted:

Clear out your weekend and rent Videodrome and A History Of Violence.

Videodrome is on Netflix Streaming. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
No one ever mentions ExistenZ :sigh:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I brought it up earlier today! In the Prometheus thread though...

That Cosmopolis poster looks great. I didn't think the book was one of DeLilo's best, but in Cronenberg's hands I can see it being utterly fantastic.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

muscles like this? posted:

Videodrome is on Netflix Streaming. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

Videodrome is one of those films-- like Network --that's aged really well and become a better satire of the present age than of its own. Given that its central theme is how our immersion in media is changing what it is to be human, it seems like a much better look at the information age than the VHS age. The fact that Netflix streaming even exists feels like proof of this.

Anyone interested in Cronenberg should also check out Crash, although probably not more than once; that film's like an exercise in how bad a movie can make you feel.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bugblatter posted:

I brought it up earlier today! In the Prometheus thread though...

I don't venture there any more. Wanna keep myself pure for the film. :angel:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone else get sort of an Enter The Void feeling from the Cosmopolis trailer? It's probably the names being all in neon and a bit in the soundtrack than anything seen in the trailer (besides sex, I guess), but that was my immediate reaction.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Dissapointed Owl posted:

As much as I love Cronenberg (and I love me some Cronenberg)I've always felt that ExistenZ was a bad remake of Videodrome, but with video games replacing the role that television played in the earlier film.

Also, it's worth reading up on media theory, especially the works of Marshal McLuhan, then watching Videodrome again. Between that and the commentaries on the Criterion disc, I realized that Cronenberg is one of the most intelligent people working in film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone talking about how The Social Network poster keeps getting ripped off knows that they just bit that design from Michael Clayton, right?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Triumphant posted:

...this looks like the most Cronenberg-y thing since Videodrome, oh my god.

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with the style of films he's been making since A History of Violence, but this still feels overdue.

It was only a few weeks ago that I finally caught Dead Ringers, and holy poo poo did that feel like a punch in the stomach (in a good way).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Something about telling someone who couldn't sit through The Fly to watch Videodrome just makes me laugh and laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't even imagine how someone could be bored watching The Fly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Fly and Videodrome are both on Netflix Instant. You have no excuse not to watch them and experience old-school Cronenberg.

Plus The Fly has Jeff Goldblum. How can anyone be bored by Jeff Goldblum? :psyduck:

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 23, 2012

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't even imagine how someone could be bored watching The Fly.

He didn't say he was bored, he said it was too much for him. Thus the Videodrome statement.

I haven't watched The Fly in many moons, but I adore Videodrome.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

More movie posters, less talking.

The fly is, of course, one of my favorites. I'm still wondering WHY did my mother let me, a little girl, see this movie? :psyduck:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

You have to scar kids early so they'll grow up with good tastes in movies, I guess.

My parents showed me The Thing when I was like, 8, and it gave me nightmares for months afterwards.

Now it's in my top ten favorite movies though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

More movie posters, less talking.

The fly is, of course, one of my favorites. I'm still wondering WHY did my mother let me, a little girl, see this movie? :psyduck:

Because she was an awesome mom and wanted her kid to start out watching good movies?

My parents were not awesome. I didn't see The Fly until I was like 17, and I had to hear about it on my own. Needless to say I loving loved it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Everyone talking about how The Social Network poster keeps getting ripped off knows that they just bit that design from Michael Clayton, right?

No man, Barbara Kruger! The Social Network even borrows the font.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was eight when Jaws 3D came out. Yes I'm old.

My older brother was 17 and worked at a movie theater. They had a very illegal after-hours 3D screening for my idiot brother and all his degenerate friends and my brother brought me.

An eight year-old.

To loving JAWS.

I grew up in Kansas thank god because I wouldn't even go near a waterbed for years.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kiimo posted:

I was eight when Jaws 3D came out. Yes I'm old.

My older brother was 17 and worked at a movie theater. They had a very illegal after-hours 3D screening for my idiot brother and all his degenerate friends and my brother brought me.

An eight year-old.

To loving JAWS.

I grew up in Kansas thank god because I wouldn't even go near a waterbed for years.

Why would that be illegal?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Theaters screening films for employees after hours isn't illegal. Most theaters do it and it is often encouraged (Pixar does this a lot) to ensure the film will run perfectly for paying customers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Theaters screening films for employees after hours isn't illegal. Most theaters do it and it is often encouraged (Pixar does this a lot) to ensure the film will run perfectly for paying customers.

Well yeah, that's what I was thinking. I dated a girl in high-school that worked at a few theatres and after-hours screenings happened every single friday and saturday. Too bad it didn't work out..... free movies was pretty boss.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because she was an awesome mom and wanted her kid to start out watching good movies?

My parents were not awesome. I didn't see The Fly until I was like 17, and I had to hear about it on my own. Needless to say I loving loved it.

Jeff Goldblum puking fly goo is a great childhood memory :thumbsup:

I was allowed to watch the sequel too, which left me scarred specially with the poor mutated dog scenes :(

But the only movie that really left a big impression on me was Poltergeist. I'm still afraid of clown toys,or any doll that looks like a clown. Creepy...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The Criterion cover for Videodrome has a lot to do with me wanting to see the film in the first place.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Desperado Bones posted:

But the only movie that really left a big impression on me was Poltergeist. I'm still afraid of clown toys,or any doll that looks like a clown. Creepy...

Funny, Poltergeist never affected me, although that may be because I saw it when I was so young I couldn't process it.

Silence of the Lambs, on the other hand, hosed me up pretty badly. Grandma! :argh:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ovanova posted:

Thor will be the quintessential "man this movie is so 2010" thirty years from now. From the overuse of special effects to the overdone Aviano typeface, from Natalie Portman to the overuse of chromatic mediant relationships in the music, that movie was just so 2010. Well, it came out in 2011 but still.

Oh man, we are all going to feel so FOOLISH then. They will point and laugh, and snicker behind their hands.

"Listen to all those chromatic mediant relationships, jesus loving christ what a bunch of rubes they were back then," they will cackle, and they will be right.

What were we thinking, as a society, when we opened ourselves up to such criticism? We are going to have so much egg on our face in thirty years when they look back on the chromatic mediant relationships in our superhero movie music.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

Jeff Goldblum puking fly goo is a great childhood memory :thumbsup:

I was allowed to watch the sequel too, which left me scarred specially with the poor mutated dog scenes :(

...there's a Fly II? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah but its not very good.