Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Oh God, now they've got Dave doing those terrible metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave & Bryan discussing all the ways in which Teddy is a terrible GM cracked me up. "I'm pretty sure he was poisoned once or twice... you lose points for that"

Monarchy
Apr 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

njsykora posted:

Wrestling Weekly this week reminded me why I stopped listening to that show. I wanted to hear that great FCW rant, and get the horrible sound quality that everyone not Bryan, Vinny or Alan4L suffers on that site (seriously, Skype exists) and just an old wrestler doing the whole "If you've never worked, you can't comment on the business" thing ON A FREAKING DIRTSHEET SITE!

Whole thing makes me so god drat angry to hear old guys tearing into FCW when it's the best it's ever been right now.

That's not what he was saying. He was saying that since he's actually been in wrestling he has a perspective that a dirtsheet writer can't ever get. Not that nobody else was qualified to talk about wrestling, or that dirtsheet writers didn't have a perspective he couldn't get.

Cranky Old School Guy Talks About Wrestling is great. :colbert:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I liked how, when talking about how dumb everything about Crimson and Matt Morgan is, Bryan posed the hypothetical "if there were a UFC tag division..." and Dave couldn't even listen to the point he was trying to make because that concept is so ridiculous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I liked how, when talking about how dumb everything about Crimson and Matt Morgan is, Bryan posed the hypothetical "if there were a UFC tag division..." and Dave couldn't even listen to the point he was trying to make because that concept is so ridiculous.

"Say Vince lives to be 150..."

"Well he's not going to."

Dave just doesn't hold with these new-fangled hypotheticals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

"Say Vince lives to be 150..."

"Well he's not going to."

Dave just doesn't hold with these new-fangled hypotheticals.

I love the Observer but them being just thick as all hell will never not be my greatest joy I get from my subscription.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Anyone else having issues with their itunes just forgetting observer credentials lately? It started with the site a few days ago not auto logging me in and then having to manually punch in my credentials (A browser issue more than anything else) but now the last 4 times it's updated I've had to put in my stuff manually. No idea why as it should be saving them automatically.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

Anyone else having issues with their itunes just forgetting observer credentials lately? It started with the site a few days ago not auto logging me in and then having to manually punch in my credentials (A browser issue more than anything else) but now the last 4 times it's updated I've had to put in my stuff manually. No idea why as it should be saving them automatically.

Mine's has been fine at work and at home

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cardboard Box posted:

Tag-team MMA fights would probably be the greatest thing to ever happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Tag-team MMA fights would probably be the greatest thing to ever happen.

They have happened before, DEEP has done them in Japan and I believe a group in Washington as well.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I grabbed some old Konnan shows after his appearance the other week.
He told a story about Mil Miscaras never taking his mask off even to shower in the back.

Bryan countered with stories from the 80s where the boys would bring a woman home then pass out and the woman would copy their ID and send Dave the information.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
From the 1995 Awards issue (for the year 1994) that just went up:

quote:

BEST PROMOTION

1. AAA (154) 1,810

2. All Japan Pro Wrestling (201) 1,658

3. Extreme Championship Wrestling (162) 1,187

4. New Japan Pro Wrestling (61) 889

5. All Japan Womens Pro Wrestling (87) 771

Honorable Mention: Smoky Mountain Wrestling 284, World Wrestling Federation 267, UWFI 152

Imagine having six wrestling promotions better than WWE now. :smith:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bikeage posted:

From the 1995 Awards issue (for the year 1994) that just went up:

Imagine having six wrestling promotions better than WWE now. :smith:

ROH, Chikara, Dragon Gate are 3. AAA, New Japan and All Japan are still around, and from what Dave spouts on the radio shows sounds like New Japan just put on a pretty good show but I have no clue about the others. Depending on your taste you *might* consider TNA a better show and if you weren't limiting yourself to prowrestling you could consider UFC/Strikeforce.

Also consider that in 1994-5 the WWE was a lot worse off than it was now, even by Observer standards.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
New Japan is awesome and easily the best wrestling promotion right now and also PWG and the others mentioned. I'm hesitant to call them all better than WWE because WWE is pretty good right now, but they're all magnitudes better than 94 WWF.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
In 1994 though most of those groups (not sure about ECW at that point) were running shows weekly and all had TV in some form.

There also wasn't quite so much of a production-values gap between the top promotions either. In '94 the Japanese companies had better production than WWF, and ECW's TV did cool music videos and video packages despite having a somewhat-worse arena presentation. I haven't seen any CMLL/AAA TV from around then (besides the When Worlds Collide PPV, which looked pretty comparable to US stuff, but WCW co-produced it) but I think the TripleMania shows had their share of pyro and elaborate entrances and such. Now, if you compare 2012 Raw to 2012 ROH TV, the former looks overwhelmingly more major league.

Don't get me wrong, I've been going to as many ROH and Chikara shows as possible the last few years and think they have awesome matches and oftentimes much better booking, but there is much less TV to watch (when you remove MMA from the equation) every week and many fewer shows going on every month that I would be clamoring to see like when I read these '94 reviews.

Lately I watch Raw, Smackdown, and Impact occasionally if there's something really interesting in the spoilers. In 1994 I would watch Raw, WCW Saturday Night, SMW, ECW, and tape trade the poo poo out of AJPW, AJW, and AAA whenever possible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lloyd Boner posted:

New Japan is awesome and easily the best wrestling promotion right now and also PWG and the others mentioned. I'm hesitant to call them all better than WWE because WWE is pretty good right now, but they're all magnitudes better than 94 WWF.

Aside from maybe production values, I see no reason why WWE is better than ROH. Even when ROH disappoints in a PPV, you still get your money and wrestling enjoyment worth. You don't have to make excuses and hone in on one thing you liked and claim it's a good PPV because of it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Aside from maybe production values, I see no reason why WWE is better than ROH. Even when ROH disappoints in a PPV, you still get your money and wrestling enjoyment worth. You don't have to make excuses and hone in on one thing you liked and claim it's a good PPV because of it.

WWE has Alex Riley and ROH just has a bunch of scrubs that put on four and five star matches. Check mate.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Eh, I like ROH but it's been pretty stagnant the past like 6 or so months. Steen needs to hurry up and win the title because I really couldn't give a poo poo about Davey's title reign anymore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lloyd Boner posted:

Eh, I like ROH but it's been pretty stagnant the past like 6 or so months. Steen needs to hurry up and win the title because I really couldn't give a poo poo about Davey's title reign anymore.

I couldn't give a poo poo either. However, Blind Destiny is a great concept, their tag division is booming and every TV show is exciting no matter who is wrestling.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lloyd Boner posted:

poo poo, Eddie should never have lost the title.The entire story of Davey/Eddie was that everyone thought Eddie was the Janetty of the American Wolves. He goes up against the Michaels and........ loses. Remember the hype and excitement surrounding Eddie's title win? All gone. All for nothing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Herman the Tosser posted:

poo poo, Eddie should never have lost the title.The entire story of Davey/Eddie was that everyone thought Eddie was the Janetty of the American Wolves. He goes up against the Michaels and........ loses. Remember the hype and excitement surrounding Eddie's title win? All gone. All for nothing.

I was fine with Eddie dropping it at Best in the World but him turning heel at Final Battle and winning the strap would have actually been interesting. It would have also kept us FOR ONCE from Davey Richards no selling a 30+ minute match to give out a boring as gently caress monologue.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I couldn't give a poo poo either. However, Blind Destiny is a great concept, their tag division is booming and every TV show is exciting no matter who is wrestling.

The TV's solid but exciting is not one of the first adjectives that would come to mind.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
This week's Art of Wrestling has Eddie Kingston as a guest. I hope it's as awesome as I imagine it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Kota Ibushi in the "Who's the best Japanese wrestler ever?" poll on the F4W page is loving hilarious.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Kota Ibushi in the "Who's the best Japanese wrestler ever?" poll on the F4W page is loving hilarious.
Yeah, YOSHIHIKO had to carry him in that match...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Right when I skipped ahead on today's Bryan & Vinny show, they scolded me for skipping past the granny segments. :stare:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Right when I skipped ahead on today's Bryan & Vinny show, they scolded me for skipping past the granny segments. :stare:

They know... :stare:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

As well they should have, this one was fantastic (domestic abuse stories notwithstanding).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If there isn't a song in a week or so involving Granny asking "What do jews eat?" then I will lose faith in The Board. Good grief there are so many good drops in that Granny segment this week.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, the Low-Ki interview a couple of days ago is an exercise in being a blowhard. Just loving amazing.

Edit: Okay, got to rant about this more. He:

* bragged about knocking a guy out (legit, I guess) on Evolve with a kick in the first minute and how that showed he was tired of wrestling not being real
* complained about how other wrestlers can't "keep up" with you in the ring when he incorporated MMA
* said that he doesn't recognize Punk & Bryan's title reigns as legitimate because they're facing people who can't work
* said there were too many people training in the business, which kills the business because it lets inferior workers into it

And the entire time he was pushing his "I'm the ultimate badass" schtick.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 24, 2012

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know, if I was a guy who only knew 2 moves (kick and stiff) I'd probably be pretty angry and bitter about the whole business as well. Surprise surprise rear end in a top hat, most people in wrestling don't actually like being in the ring with a guy who keeps stiffing the gently caress out of them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rodney the Piper posted:

bragged about knocking a guy out (legit, I guess) on Evolve with a kick in the first minute and how that showed he was tired of wrestling not being real

Low Ki, you goddamn idiot, wrestling's supposed to be fake. Why doesn't he just do MMA if that's how he feels?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Goddamn, Cornette was right. He said that wrestling used to be that people would pretend to beat the poo poo out of each other, and everyone thought it was real. Nowadays, people really beat the poo poo out of each other and nobody believes it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rodney the Piper posted:

Jesus Christ, the Low-Ki interview a couple of days ago is an exercise in being a blowhard. Just loving amazing.

Edit: Okay, got to rant about this more. He:

* bragged about knocking a guy out (legit, I guess) on Evolve with a kick in the first minute and how that showed he was tired of wrestling not being real
* complained about how other wrestlers can't "keep up" with you in the ring when he incorporated MMA
* said that he doesn't recognize Punk & Bryan's title reigns as legitimate because they're facing people who can't work
* said there were too many people training in the business, which kills the business because it lets inferior workers into it

And the entire time he was pushing his "I'm the ultimate badass" schtick.
Because ultimate badasses do ridiculous monkey poses.

WWE are lucky they got rid of this guy...

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Low Ki, you goddamn idiot, wrestling's supposed to be fake. Why doesn't he just do MMA if that's how he feels?

Doesn't want to get beat up. Wants to cheap shot people that aren't expecting it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'd have to guess at least the thing about the kick was somewhat in character, but still.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'd have to guess at least the thing about the kick was somewhat in character, but still.

So his fake wrestling character talks about how he really kicks people in fake wrestling matches instead of fake kicking them? :psyduck: Who does that gimmick appeal to?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Bikeage posted:

So his fake wrestling character talks about how he really kicks people in fake wrestling matches instead of fake kicking them? :psyduck: Who does that gimmick appeal to?

It was more of a "I knocked him out to make a point!", which would be fine, but later I think he went on to say "I'm about REAL WRESTLING~!" or something in that general sense, which got to be a bit eye roll-inducing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rodney the Piper posted:

It was more of a "I knocked him out to make a point!", which would be fine, but later I think he went on to say "I'm about REAL WRESTLING~!" or something in that general sense, which got to be a bit eye roll-inducing.

Well it was an Evolve show, I'd expect the crowd there would pop for anyone saying wrestling. That whole movement pisses me off, people saying its not sports entertainment, it's WRESTLING. They're the same loving thing, just different styles of presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

njsykora posted:

Well it was an Evolve show, I'd expect the crowd there would pop for anyone saying wrestling. That whole movement pisses me off, people saying its not sports entertainment, it's WRESTLING. They're the same loving thing, just different styles of presentation.

I see what you mean, but I can understand the divide. Pro wrestling is corny/lovable fake fighting for rednecks and high school dropouts. Sports entertainment is something WWE made up to hoodwink the NY and NJ athletic commissions, and has become synonymous with a hacky sideshow in which clumsy ex-bodybuilders act out Vince's myriad personal issues.

• Locked thread