Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
Here's a small game that some friends and I have been working on in our spare time.

We currently have a demo out - it's called What The Block.

It's a first person puzzle game, which currently has two game modes; one where you have to destroy as much as possible, and one where you have to collect some gold bars.
The game is made in Unity3d.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUOJdP9KsV0

Feel free to try it out - download links below:
PC: http://software.intel.com/file/42648
Mac: http://software.intel.com/file/42654

We would love to get some feedback :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Kristneder posted:

Here's a small game that some friends and I have been working on in our spare time.

We currently have a demo out - it's called What The Block.

This is really fantastic, nice work! Very clever use of a physics engine, and that art style is absolutely charming.

My only (very minor) suggestion was that the ball targeting system was a bit frustrating due to the amount of arc during flight. The targeting reticle isn't particularly useful for hitting things more than a few units away. Maybe that's supposed to be part of the challenge, but given the limited number of shots you get it sucked to have to use 1-2 throwaways just to home in on the correct aiming position. Maybe try increasing the initial velocity of the ball while reducing it's mass by the same proportion so that the shots have the same momentum? There'd still be some arc to contend with on the long shots but not so much as to make arc compensation a major component in your success/failure of a level.

Still, that's just a minor thing. I'd buy the full game as-is when all the levels are in!

e: You should cross-post this to the Making Games thread for more feedback.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2012

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Griffith86 posted:

working on a POS system for a company.

Login Screen

Main Window

Search View

(my hosting)

Hire a UI designer. Way, way, way too visually busy to be an effective UI. Lots of mixed visual metaphors (the use of red in particular) and there are lots of questionable positional choices. Make sure you user test the hell out of it (preferably done by a 3rd party), as a confusing POS system can cost a business lots of money.

parkov
May 4, 2005
Vintage Ahoy!
A side project I started about a month ago: themes for Bootstrap framework. You can check out the actual site here.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

parkov posted:

A side project I started about a month ago: themes for Bootstrap framework. You can check out the actual site here.

This is awesome, do you have any plans to add a swatch editor?

parkov
May 4, 2005
Vintage Ahoy!

Lone_Strider posted:

This is awesome, do you have any plans to add a swatch editor?

Thanks! Only vague plans for the time being. You can create your own variables.less with this site: http://stylebootstrap.info/. But the themes rely on more extensive LESS/CSS changes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My only suggestion would be to change the name of the Amelia one; it's strange to have only one be typified by a gender.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My only suggestion would be to change the name of the Amelia one; it's strange to have only one be typified by a gender.

Couldn't one make an argument regarding Superhero/Super-heroine?

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

Nickopops fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 1, 2019

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What do you plan to do with the city?

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

Couldn't one make an argument regarding Superhero/Super-heroine?

Superhero is relatively gender neutral (Wonder Woman is a superhero, and that doesn't sound odd). The word hero does have a masculine lean, but I'd think it's lost in the context of superheros.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
Thanks for your feedback - I'll try posting in the Making Games Megathread =)

Oh, and we've got a webbuild out, so one can try it straight from the browser. Though, the game will run more smoothly when trying the real build.

http://ikristoffer.dk/game/WhatTheBlock.html

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
I had a random thought a day ago about search engines and spent a few hours doing it. I present Avina:

Basically, it's kind of like a crowd-sourced search engine. Users (optionally) install a browser extension that simply POSTs the url/referrer/title of any site that they view. The only uniquely identifying characteristic of the submission process is that your IP is logged (for blacklisting later on if you poo poo it up with spam). The layout is pretty simple right now:

- The search bar filters on titles at the moment with a simple relevance search
- The number of click-throughs from Avina to the site is the second column
- The number of times people have navigated to this url is shown in the rightmost column (# of times submitted)

There are a number of other cool things I can think of to implement like graphing the url/referrer into a map of sorts, but overall I'm pretty chuffed with a few hours work.

If you want to help, just install the browser extension (Safari, Chrome - top right corner in the navbar) and help me populate the database with more results. You need Javascript enabled to make it shine. You can look at my lovely source over on GitHub.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Update on the Roguelike lighting engine: Shadowcasting is done!

The circles are omnidirectional lights at a height of 3 meters; the blocks labeled '1' and '2' are solid blocks of 1 and 2 meters high, respectively. The 'W' blocks are windows, consisting of (bottom to top) 1 meter of solid material, 1 meter of blue glass, and another meter of solid material.

I actually had to redesign a large part of the algorithm, because my original idea made accurate shadowcasting practically impossible. The new approach is a bit more complex than the old one (in terms of number of computations per square), but it's also far more flexible, and there's still plenty of room for optimization.

Up next: Diffusion!

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

From Earth posted:

Update on the Roguelike lighting engine: Shadowcasting is done!

The circles are omnidirectional lights at a height of 3 meters; the blocks labeled '1' and '2' are solid blocks of 1 and 2 meters high, respectively. The 'W' blocks are windows, consisting of (bottom to top) 1 meter of solid material, 1 meter of blue glass, and another meter of solid material.

I actually had to redesign a large part of the algorithm, because my original idea made accurate shadowcasting practically impossible. The new approach is a bit more complex than the old one (in terms of number of computations per square), but it's also far more flexible, and there's still plenty of room for optimization.

Up next: Diffusion!

I can't help but grin like an idiot at these screenshots. I love it!

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

I can't help but grin like an idiot at these screenshots. I love it!

Imagine how I feel. I spend far too much time just moving lights and objects around and looking at the results. :)

Jewel
May 2, 2009

From Earth posted:

Imagine how I feel. I spend far too much time just moving lights and objects around and looking at the results. :)

You should give us a bit more insight as to how you calculate the shadowing for different heights of materials and whatnot! It'd be nice to see exactly how it works, since the results are great.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Jewel posted:

You should give us a bit more insight as to how you calculate the shadowing for different heights of materials and whatnot! It'd be nice to see exactly how it works, since the results are great.

I'll do a detailed write-up when everything's done, but here's the basics of it.

For every point P near a light L, we can compute two angles, A and B (actually theta and phi, but I don't remember their character codes):

To determine the color and brightness of the light at P, we use a 256 x 128 pixel image that describes L, which I call a light map for lack of a better term. The horizontal range represents the angle A (from 0 to 2pi), the vertical range represents B (from -pi/2 to pi/2). To determine the color of a single point, we simply compute its angles, and sample the light map at the corresponding point. I then also divide this color by the distance between L and P (which I don't think is entirely accurate, but it produces the nicest results), and multiply it by a brightness factor, which I think was set to 2.0 in the previous screenshot.

Creating new types of light is as simple as drawing a new light map. For example, here's a blue-red siren and a flashlight.

Casting shadows essentially comes down to projecting the shape of an object onto the light map. For walls, this is easy: We compute the maximum and minimum values of A for the tile containing the wall, and we simply make this entire range of the light map black (from top to bottom). If we later process a point with an angle A within this range, we know that it's behind a wall, and we color it black.

Non-wall objects are a bit more difficult since their shadows also have a limited vertical range, but the basic idea is the same: Project the shape onto the light map, and all points lying within this shape will be colored black. For the windows, instead of projecting a black shape onto the light map, I project a small image onto it, with black at the top and bottom (representing the wall) and light-blue in the center (representing the glass).

And that's more or less it. The code itself is a bit more involved, as it includes some optimization strategies, but the core ideas are the same.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

Getting closer on this... anyone who wants to give it a go can now try out this build I just deployed (link). It's a ClickOnce installer, which is another aspect of this thing I'm playing with. Some stuff isn't finished but the default configuration should work.

Also, I hard coded my Imgur API key until I figure out something else, go hog wild

Todo:
- Out of box/post install experience
- Capture region functionality
- Color eyedropper
- Better uploading stuff (anyone have any tips for OAuth in a desktop app?)
- Documentation
- Website
- Perhaps revisiting in-app editing, at least cropping and probably also redaction and arrows

E: VVV Thanks. There's no metrics/feedback collection yet so I'm blind when it crashes. Minidumps are fine, or also the app spits out a debug log called "report.txt" in %localappdata%\factormystic.net\ProSnap, and if that could be pastebin+PM'd or otherwise sent to me that would be super helpful.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 24, 2012

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I installed it via the setup program, opened the options, switched to the Shortcuts page and pressed PrintScreen and it crashed after a few seconds. Minidump. I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So basically I run this website (in signature), and decided that over 200 items (which will grow over time) was too much to enter by hand.

So I created this:

Basically it crawls the http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ web page for items and categories, and formats the data into PHP code that will add the query to my databases if it isn't already found.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 25, 2012

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

parkov posted:

drat you! Where were you when I was creating my new site?! This is awesome stuff.

At this point, though, I can't just drop in your stuff, as I've made a number of other changes.

(crossposted from the Vita thread in games)

I've just let the base site go live now, at http://pimpmyvita.com

Features currently implemented:
- Login using Google, Twitter, Facebook, Windows Live, or Yahoo.
- Wallpapers are organized into sets, which can contain multiple wallpapers from the same user.
- A smarter tag system, which helps prevent 47 different spellings of "playstation"
- Batch downloading of complete sets
- Sharing with G+, Twitter, Facebook and Email
- Favorites

Features I'm working on:
- Search system. Pretty simple, I just need to make it handle tags smartly.
- Reporting. Because everyone loves goatse.
- Customizing wallpapers. This is kind of a big thing, as far as I'm concerned. Here's how this'll work:

1) choose a wallpaper, hit the "customize" button below it.
b) Add lockscreen zippers, change the hue/saturation, add a label for a given screen.
iii) Download it!
four) Load it again from your user menu, and edit it again, or just download it again.

I've done similar things in the past, for a silly image generator (http://shmups.info/phone), so this will be kind of fun.

I'm also going to play with making an API of some sort, so I can have an IRC bot tell me when people upload/report stuff.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

First crack at diffusion. The basic idea: Every time light bounces off a floor, wall, or ceiling, it stores a fraction of the incoming light as diffuse light in the current tile (for floors and ceilings), or in the adjacent tiles (for walls). Then, when all lights have updated, I blur these diffuse light values a number of times.

The effect seems really subtle so far. Blurring three times goes a long way to softening shadows near lit walls, which is the desired effect, but on the whole the result might still be a bit too subtle. Maybe I need to tweak the blurring kernel a bit.

Also, I'll probably be posting future updates in the Game Development thread, so keep an eye on that thread if you're interested.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
For my honours project at university I've created a Javascript-based turtle graphics system!

(screenshot is on my own hosting)

I had initially planned to have things like user-defined functions and animated drawings but I procrastinated like hell which is something nobody should ever do, ever. It does have nested loops, though! You can try it out here.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I wrote one of them too http://logo.twentygototen.org with the help of Scaevolus - https://github.com/rmmh/papert

I didn't do it for university, I did it because I hated my job. I was thinking of making a light-bike game where you programmed the bikes to avoid each other, rather than controlling them directly. It turns out logo is a pretty horrible language to use though, so I went back to procrastinating.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

From Earth posted:

First crack at diffusion. The basic idea: Every time light bounces off a floor, wall, or ceiling, it stores a fraction of the incoming light as diffuse light in the current tile (for floors and ceilings), or in the adjacent tiles (for walls). Then, when all lights have updated, I blur these diffuse light values a number of times.

The effect seems really subtle so far. Blurring three times goes a long way to softening shadows near lit walls, which is the desired effect, but on the whole the result might still be a bit too subtle. Maybe I need to tweak the blurring kernel a bit.

Also, I'll probably be posting future updates in the Game Development thread, so keep an eye on that thread if you're interested.

That language is that in?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Bastard posted:

That language is that in?

Currently in C# with XNA. If I end up building an actual game around it, I'll probably port it to C++ first (using SDL/Allegro/SFML).

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

From Earth posted:

Currently in C# with XNA. If I end up building an actual game around it, I'll probably port it to C++ first (using SDL/Allegro/SFML).

I would pay money to see that code. It looks amazing!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Not really a screenshot, but here is something I made while learning javascript/html canvas. Works best in chrome.

I accidentally left this running for 17 hours :downs:

Lunatic
Apr 6, 2004
I've been working on a HTML5/Javascript app to view the contents of iD Software's DOOM WADs. It can view:
Floor/Ceiling Textures
Wall textures
Maps
Sound Effects
Misc Images

You can find the online version at: http://michaeljhoward.com/doom/doom.html

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Compared to most of the people that post on this forum, I'm a pretty awful and inexperienced coder, but I've undertook a project in hopes to both learn a lot in the process of making it and create something I think both myself and the LoL community would find useful.

LoLTool is going to eventually be a Feature Rich™ League of Legends modeling tool, capable of kicking back a whole boat load of statistics based on the parameters you give it. I'm working on making it user friendly and approachable and I find myself wishing I was better at designing UIs in the process! So far, we have this:

Most of the empty space there will eventually be filled with more statistical fun, or places to input more parameters. It certainly won't be empty.

The other major portion I have done, the rune page, which includes things like live filtering (Which took me like 2 days to figure out, partial thanks goes to this fine forum for their help).

It's been a hell of a learning experience and I've already explored all sorts of things I've never had to before and I'm no where close to done. I'm sure in the future, I'll be bugging this forum or the IRC channel with more questions regarding the project, but for now, progress is steady and I think I'll have the base functionality complete rather soon.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Scaevolus posted:

I accidentally left this running for 17 hours :downs:

Holy poo poo

How much memory was that using?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HappyHippo posted:

Holy poo poo

How much memory was that using?

Bizarrely the thing is pretty well-behaved. When I had my 48 hour monster going it didn't max out on RAM or processor at all, it would just drop frames to the point where it was updating about every 4 seconds.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I've been trying to create Android apps on and off over the last year, but my projects are always too big for me to handle. Today I decided to create a simple project (random password generator) and I actually finished it! Peanuts for most of you guys, but I'm happy :)

(Now to improve the code and actually work on the interface)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's been a hell of a learning experience and I've already explored all sorts of things I've never had to before and I'm no where close to done. I'm sure in the future, I'll be bugging this forum or the IRC channel with more questions regarding the project, but for now, progress is steady and I think I'll have the base functionality complete rather soon.

Feel free to PM me if you want a way to retrieve summoner stats and runepage and mastery (first one only, they're stored clientside) page

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Thought I would show off a little project of mine I have been working on. It's basically like Broken Picture Telephone and Doodle or Die, except on Android!
Obviously the UI is going to look like trash as I'm not a designer and this is alpha stages.

Main Menu: Placeholder logo and placeholder title, just to see how it would look.
Probably going to put something like copyright and whatever else under the buttons to fill the whitespace.

New Game Menu:

Join Game:

Painting Screen:

Pressing the menu key brings up options to change brush color and size, as well as erase and clear. (Hopefully undo someday)

There are three ways to select color HSV, RGBA sliders, Hex code in ARGB format.

HSV:

RGBA Siders:

Hex Code:

Brush Size:

Eraser:Shows a black line while your dragging then erases everything when you let go.

It's mostly come together from me messing around with API demos and other people's libraries, I'm pretty happy I have come this far as I don't have much experience. I am going to try and get it online so I can start testing the actually mechanics of the game.

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 3, 2012

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've just published a little blog post explaining a lot of what I do as a developer working on Real Time Bidding and the kinds of optimizations we're doing all the time: http://ferd.ca/rtb-where-erlang-blooms.html. It's an area where we have to serve a crapload of requests with low latency (<35 ms) and get good throughput while never failing (or failing as little as possible, given we're always spending money).

I explain some of our tools, and general design ideas such as Queues suck, stacks are better, nothing is even better, and ideas of how we avoid bottlenecks, with little graphs like this:

(my hosting)

So hey, it might be interesting to some of you to know what kind of stuff we do in the RTB world :)

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 4, 2012

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

MononcQc posted:

So hey, it might be interesting to some of you to know what kind of stuff we do in the RTB world :)

This was great, thanks. Helps me understand the various graphs you've posted in this thread :). I don't do anything with RTB directly but I work with some non-profit clients that buy display advertising through exchanges, and your summary of that whole process at the top is a good intro to the whole idea.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

MononcQc posted:

I love reading about this kind of high performance, high scalability stuff, even though it will never be of any use to me. Your comments about the problems with queues reminded me of this talk http://www.infoq.com/presentations/LMAX where the target latency was <1ms. They ended up using ring buffers in a pretty interesting way.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

I love reading about this kind of high performance, high scalability stuff, even though it will never be of any use to me. Your comments about the problems with queues reminded me of this talk http://www.infoq.com/presentations/LMAX where the target latency was <1ms. They ended up using ring buffers in a pretty interesting way.
Yes, reading about high performance and high scalability is always fun.

MononcQc posted:

Great read, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Not really a screenshot, but here is something I made while learning javascript/html canvas. Works best in chrome.

I'm at my relatives for Easter and bored, so I have enhanced(?) this a bit with scoreboard and health bars. Makes it less pretty, but more interesting to watch in my opinion!

I hope that is OK?