Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

Ishamael posted:

Oh man, we are all going to feel so FOOLISH then. They will point and laugh, and snicker behind their hands.

"Listen to all those chromatic mediant relationships, jesus loving christ what a bunch of rubes they were back then," they will cackle, and they will be right.

What were we thinking, as a society, when we opened ourselves up to such criticism? We are going to have so much egg on our face in thirty years when they look back on the chromatic mediant relationships in our superhero movie music.

I'm sorry but as a chuge classical afficionado, all contemporary movie music is all one big loving cliche to me and it all sounds the same and all I can hear is the interchange between similar quality triads with roots a third apart. All I loving hear. Can't wait til Hollywood gets over it, not that movies in a pre-Phillip Glass era had better scores or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it's pretty clever from a design standpoint, but from a marketing perspective I don't think somebody at Sony really thought this all the way through:

That's the real, official DVD cover.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Farbtoner posted:

I think it's pretty clever from a design standpoint, but from a marketing perspective I don't think somebody at Sony really thought this all the way through:

Never mind the fact that no one actually burns things to DVDs anymore... plus isn't it ironic for Sony to be doing that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nybble posted:

Never mind the fact that no one actually burns things to DVDs anymore... plus isn't it ironic for Sony to be doing that?

I still do sometimes, my car doesn't have an MP3 player jack yet :gonk:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Oh, CDs I get. I still enjoy making a random CD for the car, but burning DVDs is the kind of poo poo Sony hates. And it barely looks distinguishable from your random home movie DVD. And, the worst thing... what does it actually have to do with the rest of the movie? It's such a lazy design.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Farbtoner posted:

Reminds me of

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Gaseous Snake posted:

Reminds me of

And as such System of a Down did so earlier

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nybble posted:

Oh, CDs I get. I still enjoy making a random CD for the car, but burning DVDs is the kind of poo poo Sony hates. And it barely looks distinguishable from your random home movie DVD. And, the worst thing... what does it actually have to do with the rest of the movie? It's such a lazy design.

I still use DVDs,specially because I don't own an external HD and sometimes I need to backup all my information.
Anyways, I think is a clever design, simple and clever,with little details here and there. What do people expected? Some generic bad Photoshop slapped there? Like this?:

(Custom made cover I found around)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is it all DVD copies that are like that? I thought it was just the ones that came with the blu-ray/dvd three pack, of which there are actually 4 different sets of discs:

Also, uh...have you seen the movie? Her burning a DVD is kind of a big thing that happens in it, so it being like that makes a lot of sense, and is actually pretty drat clever. It's one of the nicer blu ray's I've seen.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

homerlaw posted:

And as such System of a Down did so earlier

Which was probably inspired by

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nybble posted:

And it barely looks distinguishable from your random home movie DVD. And, the worst thing... what does it actually have to do with the rest of the movie? It's such a lazy design.

Watch the movie first my god.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Gotta say, as terrible (perfect) as the movie is, I love the poster for this '04 Sci Fi Channel production:

It's so EC Comics lurid.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it all DVD copies that are like that? I thought it was just the ones that came with the blu-ray/dvd three pack, of which there are actually 4 different sets of discs:

Also, uh...have you seen the movie? Her burning a DVD is kind of a big thing that happens in it, so it being like that makes a lot of sense, and is actually pretty drat clever. It's one of the nicer blu ray's I've seen.

I actually grabbed my set just to see which one I had. That's pretty neat. I have the lisbeth/parade

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Also, uh...have you seen the movie? Her burning a DVD is kind of a big thing that happens in it, so it being like that makes a lot of sense, and is actually pretty drat clever.

I can't for the life of me recall any point in the American film where she burns a DVD, let alone a time when doing so was a big deal?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gaseous Snake posted:

Reminds me of

This is really a brilliant troll. I remember that when I worked in refurbishment, we would find a lot of those DVDs and, since our policy was destroying pirated media, we would destroy those DVDs until I point out that's a gimmick. The brand is fictional and the "marker" is printed on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

I can't for the life of me recall any point in the American film where she burns a DVD, let alone a time when doing so was a big deal?

She burns a DVD of her brutal rape and then plays it for her rapist when she has him tied up. It's probably the most memorable scene of the entire film.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I got that beat.

Bunraku is okay as a story but it looks really neat, it's got a crazy shadow puppet thing going. A good poster would have looked like the opening credits of the movie. And Gackt can actually act, that surprised me.

It's on Netflix btw.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 25, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

She burns a DVD of her brutal rape and then plays it for her rapist when she has him tied up. It's probably the most memorable scene of the entire film.

Eh, she plays the video but no DVD is ever depicted. I guess I assumed it was playing from a drive or off the camera itself, because who the hell burns a disk anymore? Not that it matters. While the scene is certainly memorable, the format the video is playing off of is inconsequential and far too much of a footnote to justify basing the film's packaging around.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

penismightier posted:

Gotta say, as terrible (perfect) as the movie is, I love the poster for this '04 Sci Fi Channel production:

It's so EC Comics lurid.

Skeleton Man had a previous job:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Croisquessein posted:

Bunraku is okay as a story but it looks really neat, it's got a crazy shadow puppet thing going. A good poster would have looked like the opening credits of the movie. And Gackt can actually act, that surprised me.

It's on Netflix btw.

The titles are really neat: http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/10/17/bunraku/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, she plays the video but no DVD is ever depicted. I guess I assumed it was playing from a drive or off the camera itself, because who the hell burns a disk anymore? Not that it matters. While the scene is certainly memorable, the format the video is playing off of is inconsequential and far too much of a footnote to justify basing the film's packaging around.

I haven't watched the blu ray since getting it, but I'm fairly sure they show her popping it into the player hooked up. And even if not, I knew immediately what it was referencing, and so did every single person except for you, apparently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, she plays the video but no DVD is ever depicted. I guess I assumed it was playing from a drive or off the camera itself, because who the hell burns a disk anymore?

A computer security expert who was only raped in the first place because her laptop got broken in the course of a theft, and who wants to make it absolutely clear to her rapist that the footage he is watching is only a copy of an original not in her possession?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I haven't watched the blu ray since getting it, but I'm fairly sure they show her popping it into the player hooked up. And even if not, I knew immediately what it was referencing, and so did every single person except for you, apparently.

They didn't, I checked it right before my post. And all the first reactions in this thread were wondering what a pirated disk had to do with the movie, so clearly I'm not the only one. Maybe it was more prominent in the novel/Swedish film?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Bugblatter posted:

They didn't, I checked it right before my post. And all the first reactions in this thread were wondering what a pirated disk had to do with the movie, so clearly I'm not the only one. Maybe it was more prominent in the novel/Swedish film?

You should clearly keep defending your ridiculous position

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Actually he is completely right. A DVD being involved is completely inconsequential to the scene and utterly pointless as a design point for the film packaging.

Maybe you should stop defending a lovely design choice?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Darthemed posted:

Which was probably inspired by

My high school library had a copy of that book. For some reason.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Nutsngum posted:

Actually he is completely right. A DVD being involved is completely inconsequential to the scene and utterly pointless as a design point for the film packaging.

Maybe you should stop defending a lovely design choice?

I'm with you on this. I definitely saw the movie, and wouldn't have given two shits about what medium she played back the recorded video from. I was quite bit more concerned about everything of actual consequence going on in that scene.

A stitched flower design or something else would have been much more appropriate than lazy design referencing the smallest detail that only the gooniest of goons would catch in such a pivotal scene.

VVV This I can buy.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 25, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

It's an aesthetic/design principle, not a callback, you weirdos. It's the same reason the trailer was a "leaked" bootleg and the opening credits was a James Bond parody in which people were killed by USB cables - it's creating a feeling of technological secrecy, like you're in the shady back alleys of hackers and industrial spies.

I still can't believe how literal-minded this board gets sometimes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So apparently this is a thing...

I guess Edge at least has some trigger discipline.

And beads, lots of beads.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What on earth is the pattern on his shirt? Fortune cookies?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Flippycunt posted:

What on earth is the pattern on his shirt? Fortune cookies?
Toenail clippings.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

penismightier posted:

It's an aesthetic/design principle, not a callback, you weirdos. It's the same reason the trailer was a "leaked" bootleg and the opening credits was a James Bond parody in which people were killed by USB cables - it's creating a feeling of technological secrecy, like you're in the shady back alleys of hackers and industrial spies.

I still can't believe how literal-minded this board gets sometimes.

Thank you, you nailed it. My mind flies to a land of underground hackers when I see that design.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
From a few pages back but the theatrical release poster for Cosmopolis is awful:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I got that beat.

A few people have said it but Bunraku is a surprisingly watchable movie. Definitely worth getting from Netflix.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

cyberia posted:

From a few pages back but the theatrical release poster for Cosmopolis is awful:

That has to be one of the worst taglines I've ever read.

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!
I saw this while queuing at the supermarket. I'm sure the employees knew what they were doing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cyberia posted:

Wow, there is a huge discrepancy in quality between that one and the previous one -- the first one foregrounds Cronenberg and Pattinson and communicates so much both in Pattinson's expression and in the details of his suit. Plus, it's in the limousine which is a huge part of the story. The color scheme and font choice also oozes with the personality that the film seems to have.

That one, on the other hand, I could confuse with almost any generic movie that takes place in the city -- if you swapped out the title for Sidewalks of New York or something, I'd believe it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Shifter posted:

I saw this while queuing at the supermarket. I'm sure the employees knew what they were doing.

Seriously, holy poo poo. Is that placeholder art?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nope, they've got those covers here in Belgium as well.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Over here they keep the case covers, but give you the discs without any label. My Interview with the Vampire looks like a blank DVD.

Speaking of the devil, I'm kinda envious that the Japanese get cool posters:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, there is a huge discrepancy in quality between that one and the previous one -- the first one foregrounds Cronenberg and Pattinson and communicates so much both in Pattinson's expression and in the details of his suit. Plus, it's in the limousine which is a huge part of the story. The color scheme and font choice also oozes with the personality that the film seems to have.

That one, on the other hand, I could confuse with almost any generic movie that takes place in the city -- if you swapped out the title for Sidewalks of New York or something, I'd believe it.

After seeing The Fly and Thirteenth Floor posters a page or two back this poster looks really dated, too. I can imagine it being an 80s sci-fi about the New York of the future. Like some kind of Bladerunner-lite.