Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
On a lot of bikes you have to rev it a little to get it to pop into neutral easily.

Tip of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My tip for shifting is to do it with authority. I kick that bitch like it refused to make me a sandwich, works good.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I only go into neutral when I'm parking or if I'm going to be stopped for a long enough time that I can't be assed to hold the clutch in.

If I'm stuck in roadworks or anything I'll just N and turn it off then get off for a stretch/smash my face into the tank out of irritation at being stuck in the same roadworks for 20 minutes for the 800th time that day because I do a lot of work around there. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

My tip for shifting is to do it with authority. I kick that bitch like it refused to make me a sandwich, works good.

I'm always scared that the lever will snap off if I use that much force. :ohdear:

Shimrod posted:

I only go into neutral when I'm parking or if I'm going to be stopped for a long enough time that I can't be assed to hold the clutch in.

If I'm stuck in roadworks or anything I'll just N and turn it off then get off for a stretch/smash my face into the tank out of irritation at being stuck in the same roadworks for 20 minutes for the 800th time that day because I do a lot of work around there. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Roadworks are the worst, especially then they're resealing roads with pebbly gravel. My first group ride (60 bikes) went on this one road that was about 10km long and the whole thing was gravel. 10km @ 20km/hr is a long-rear end time to be doing that poo poo.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

I'm always scared that the lever will snap off if I use that much force. :ohdear:

Roadworks are the worst, especially then they're resealing roads with pebbly gravel. My first group ride (60 bikes) went on this one road that was about 10km long and the whole thing was gravel. 10km @ 20km/hr is a long-rear end time to be doing that poo poo.

Yeah, one of my first rides ever we went out and there was a "surprise" roadworks - they must have just finished and were packing up their road signs on the other side of the roadworks and I nearly went face down in some really bad gravel poo poo (which doesn't do crap to fix the road). That was about 2.5km long.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I find myself sitting in neutral at a lot of stoplights. The clutch in -> pop it into first makes me cringe nearly every time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

I find myself sitting in neutral at a lot of stoplights. The clutch in -> pop it into first makes me cringe nearly every time.

I sit in gear at lights at all times. It has saved my rear end. I had a guy flying up on me at a red light and I knew something was up. I just got in front of the car to my left and he blew through a foot or so off my fender. He would absolutely have killed me if I hadn't moved. The light was red but no fucks were given apparently.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Glad to know I won't be expected to find N at every stop on my upcoming bike exam, was actually wondering about that.

If its an MSF exam, they will tell you to NEVER sit in neutral when stopped because of what Ponies just posted above.

Me? gently caress that. Red lights around here take so long to turn that I got sick of holding my clutch in. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to stretch my back out.

But for testing purposes, they shouldn't be asking you to find neutral unless you're about to park the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I keep it in gear mainly, but if it's a longer light and I've checked behind me, I'll put it in neutral. Usually it's to mess with a song track or something, but if I know a light is stupid long sometimes I'll use that time to check my lights and all of that. I guess I should probably be doing that before I set off but whoops.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Which reminds me. What are the intricacies of earbud/earplug law in CA? Can I listen to music? How about in DC?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

An observer posted:

Which reminds me. What are the intricacies of earbud/earplug law in CA? Can I listen to music? How about in DC?

This website is helpful.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/legisltn/laws.asp

Stupid PA is about the only state that headphones are completely illegal in (unless it's a comm system).

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Hahaha, CA prohibits ape hangers. Thanks for the link, it's going to be really helpful!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Odette posted:

The only way I can get into neutral is by going into second, then slightly pushing the lever down into N. It's basically impossible to get into neutral while in first.

Except of course, when I'm actually RIDING it. Bad bike.

Sometimes for finding neutral, it helps to rock the bike a few inches forward or backward.

Oh yeah and like others have mentioned, ideally you want to stay in gear at stops. You never know when a homicidal Subaru is going to try and drive up your tailpipe.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

An observer posted:

Hahaha, CA prohibits ape hangers. Thanks for the link, it's going to be really helpful!

So does Illinois but apparently nobody gives a gently caress up here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I sit in gear at lights at all times. It has saved my rear end. I had a guy flying up on me at a red light and I knew something was up. I just got in front of the car to my left and he blew through a foot or so off my fender. He would absolutely have killed me if I hadn't moved. The light was red but no fucks were given apparently.

I dunno. I'm pretty much always in neutral unless I know it's going to be a short light. I could probably come up with a potential scenario justifying almost anything, but I think it's far more likely for a tired or wet hand to slip off a clutch and cause a problem then to have a crazy guy come up from behind you out of the blue intent on killing you.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If I'm last in line, I am in gear with an escape route identified, all the time, every time. Once cars start lining up behind me and it's a long light, I might pop to N and shake off my clutch hand.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

I dunno. I'm pretty much always in neutral unless I know it's going to be a short light. I could probably come up with a potential scenario justifying almost anything, but I think it's far more likely for a tired or wet hand to slip off a clutch and cause a problem then to have a crazy guy come up from behind you out of the blue intent on killing you.

You don't live in a college town do you? I watched 2 people fly through red lights today alone. People in my area are loving retarded, especially the Cal Poly dollies. I mostly see massively lifted spotless shiny diesel 4x4's do it with an upside down sun visor bra driving.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit. Best decision I ever made. gently caress having to deal with glasses + helmet again. Or even just glasses full stop. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3179993&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
I wear contacts most of the time, but still.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

An observer posted:

You tempt me. It'll be expensive as gently caress in cables and hydraulic lines and uncomfortable as hell, but also kind of a testament.

I might be on to something that has no name yet.

Racing two strokes with quart fairings and ape-hangers will be the next hype.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

You tempt me. It'll be expensive as gently caress in cables and hydraulic lines and uncomfortable as hell, but also kind of a testament.

I want to ape hanger out a Moped!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I want to see an aped out Diavel. Worlds collide.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sir Cornelius posted:

.. you do realise CA means California and not cycle asylum, right?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endless Mike posted:

I wear contacts most of the time, but still.

I actually went and had laser done because I just couldn't do contacts. They were fine once in, but I just could not get the little bastards in.

clutchpuck posted:

I want to see an aped out Diavel. Worlds collide.

I was trying to find a pic of the Speed Triple with massive ape hangers, but found this instead:

you ain't aped 'til you standin up to ride

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I actually went and had laser done because I just couldn't do contacts. They were fine once in, but I just could not get the little bastards in.

I was trying to find a pic of the Speed Triple with massive ape hangers, but found this instead:

you ain't aped 'til you standin up to ride

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a loving trooper!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KARMA! posted:

.. you do realise CA means California and not cycle asylum, right?

What's the real difference?

Besides we're all on an ape-hanger-hype by now. We can't hear you.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Does anybody have a cb250 intake manifold laying around? I've read online that it may fit the the cm200t I'm fiddling with. I just need to know the spacing for the studs and how big the dual inlets are. I can't seem to find any info online.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I've read online that it may fit the the cm200t I'm fiddling with.

I can comfirm that it's the same manifold (same part#). Expect around $10-15 used.

Does this look right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-HONDA-...590707542373400

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Ever since I flushed my brake fluid I've kinda sorta been stoppie'ing (?) my 636. My question is how do I get the back end up while I'm still moving and keep it there? As I am now it feels like under hard braking it only comes up right as I come to a stop. Basically the whole bike pivots around the stopped front wheel which feels like a recipe for flipping over. I don't have any aspirations of being a stunter or anything, it just happened by accident at first and feels pretty cool so I kept doing it.

Also if I keep doing it all the time what repairs am I looking at (front forks, rear suspension parts smacking the ground, etc.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

X = force required to lift rear end with front axle as pivot
Y = braking force

1) Y > X = rear end lifts
2) Y = X = rear end stays put wherever it is until speed drops and
3) Y < X = rear end drops back

If you fail to modulate the brake quickly enough from 1) to 2), you encounter force Z, the impact of face A against road B.

edit: you are also limited by traction. If Y is greater than the front tire traction, there's another face/road scenario. The forces in a stoppie aren't that big, but over time the smacking can do damage. I think the front end suffers more from landing a wheelie than the rear end does after a stoppie.

Example of imminent road interfacing:

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 25, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

Also if I keep doing it all the time what repairs am I looking at (front forks, rear suspension parts smacking the ground, etc.)

It's unlikely that you'll directly damage any mechanical part of your bike doing this.

There'll be an increased front break wear, but you've probably already figured that out.

There's a few non-mechanical but rather biological parts that's likely to take damage though. Expect to buy a couple of helmets per season and also plan for a cache of sturdy gloves.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I knew that pic was going to pop up. It's one year off from being my exact bike too. :v:

The hard part is grabbing the lever enough to swing the back up right away, then backing off a bit to maintain, all while your arms are locked and you feel like you're in the middle of a pushup or something.

It seems like it's a lot easier to wad your bike with stoppies then wheelies.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

Oh yeah. Much easier. If you really want to wad your bike, "stoppies" is the answer. Real stunta bros' and sis' do it while cornering rather than going straight.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gnaghi posted:

I knew that pic was going to pop up. It's one year off from being my exact bike too. :v:

The hard part is grabbing the lever enough to swing the back up right away, then backing off a bit to maintain, all while your arms are locked and you feel like you're in the middle of a pushup or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshErFSt7SE

This is what i'm afraid of every time i try a stoppie.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

echomadman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshErFSt7SE

This is what i'm afraid of every time i try a stoppie.

I love the way his legs are Pavlovian-reflex trying to outrun the box that's going to smash his helmet in a fraction of seconds.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've been a lot more willing to try stuff that might wad my bike after doing the valves. Having the cams not fitting back in the head properly and then finding that the automatic cam chain tensioner is no longer working when starting the bike has made me really want to get as much as I can out of it. Plus up to a certain point you should be able to bail by simply releasing the front brake, possibly dropping the bike but at least not sending it cartwheeling on top of you, right?

I like this video for it's narrator. "Start up the machine and get it going".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGozt-6mM1U&feature=channel

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

I want to ape hanger out a Moped!

Bonus; apes on a Bandit!

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Yesterday I got a new carb diaphragm, cleaned them out and plugged the vacuum port on my GS500.

Still no change. It starts, warms up and runs perfectly. Everything is fine below 40mph, but as soon as I take it above 40, the bike starts lurching and if I use the clutch; the bike dies. After 5 minutes or so I can start it and put it under load, but only with the choke on.

Are my carbs just hosed or could something bigger be going on here?

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 25, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Commodore 64 posted:

Yesterday I got a new carb diaphragm, cleaned them out and plugged the vacuum port on my GS500.

Still no change. Everything is fine below 40mph, but as soon as I take it above 40, the bike starts lurching and if I use the clutch; the bike dies. After 5 minutes or so I can start it and put it under load, but only with the choke on.

Show me your spark plugs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Commodore 64 posted:

Still no change. It starts, warms up and runs perfectly. Everything is fine below 40mph, but as soon as I take it above 40, the bike starts lurching and if I use the clutch; the bike dies. After 5 minutes or so I can start it and put it under load, but only with the choke on.

Odd question but are you sure it's running on both cylinders?

WRT stoppies, the trick is to take advantage of the weight transfer from starting braking to get the back end to lift. If there's a lot of suspension travel it's easier to feel that suspension travel and to get the rear to lift, but it can easily be done on a supersport.

What you want is a quick progressive application of the front brakes to get it to lift and then you back off the brakes to hold it for awhile without going over the front. When you set it down, rise up off the pegs to take some of the impact in your legs vs. mashing your balls into the tank. Start small and work your way up, if you take your time and don't try to hang them at 80mph straight off the bat you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

you'll be fine.

Thanks, I knew the guy who once said stoppies are more fun then wheelies would have good advice (they are pretty fun). :buddy: