Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Bone Storm posted:

The thread seems a little inconsistent about whether stories of pure trolling (ie, not involving actual gameplay mechanics, just chat) can count as griefing. Would it be cool to post an anecdote about running a particularly irritating guild leader off my SW:TOR server? If not I'll find somewhere else to post it or just keep it to myself.

Well, where are you going to post it if you don't post it here? I want to see it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Everyone who plays SWTOR is being griefed by default. Holy hell did they gently caress that game up. I cancelled my subscription earlier in the week because I finally ran out of patience waiting for them to fix anything.

I'm pretty sure their customer service support is all an elaborate troll in its own right.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Bone Storm posted:

The thread seems a little inconsistent about whether stories of pure trolling (ie, not involving actual gameplay mechanics, just chat) can count as griefing. Would it be cool to post an anecdote about running a particularly irritating guild leader off my SW:TOR server? If not I'll find somewhere else to post it or just keep it to myself.

Honestly, as long as it's fun to read and involves getting someone angry about video games, go ahead. There'll always be someone who complains no matter what.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Bone Storm posted:

It sounds entertaining, I'm interested.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Everyone who plays SWTOR is being griefed by default. Holy hell did they gently caress that game up. I cancelled my subscription earlier in the week because I finally ran out of patience waiting for them to fix anything.

I'm pretty sure their customer service support is all an elaborate troll in its own right.

DId you know you can type /unstuck in the chat to get out of a sticky situation?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Mordaedil posted:

DId you know you can type /unstuck in the chat to get out of a sticky situation?

Intentional or unintentional dev griefing?

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.
Haven't seen this posted in this long thread (or maybe I missed it). But there's an old video series I followed when Left 4 Dead was a little bigger. I finally remembered what it was called but now it has 1.6 million views, so I'm certain most have seen it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6maW_aY0Jg&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, the fun part is at 6:19 - 7:00. For those who played L4D versus mode I'm sure you're aware of the effective wall jumping abilities of the hunter that the AI never uses. Well in the video a hunter player misses his mark, but then turns it into something beautiful. Feel free to ignore the sometimes annoying captions. The footage is good but the commentary sounds like it's done by the typical 4chan user.

Edit: I type good :v:

SeriousCrimesUnit fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 16, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SeriousCrimesUnit posted:

Haven't seen this posted in this long thread (or maybe I missed it). But there's an old video series I followed when Left 4 Dead was a litter bigger. I finally remembered what it was called but now it have 1.6 million views, so I'm certain most have seen it now.

Anyway, the fun part is at 6:19 - 7:00. For those who played L4D versus mode I'm sure you're aware of the effective wall jumping abilities of the hunter that AI never uses. Well in the video a hunter player misses his mark, but then turns it into something beautiful. Feel free to ignore the sometimes annoying subtitles. The footage is good but the commentary sounds like it's done by the typical 4chan user.

That was awesome but people sure love to ruin their own videos with stupid on-screen narratives.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

That was awesome but people sure love to ruin their own videos with stupid on-screen narratives.

Yeah, at least when they use terrible music and/or their awful (and usually very nasal) voices you can turn the sound off.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

SeriousCrimesUnit posted:

Haven't seen this posted in this long thread (or maybe I missed it). But there's an old video series I followed when Left 4 Dead was a little bigger. I finally remembered what it was called but now it have 1.6 million views, so I'm certain most have seen it now.

Yeah, that video would have been way more enjoyable without those stupid captions. You can tell the guy who made it was like 15 or something by his voice, so I'm not surprised. Still funny, though!

General Minus has probably been posted before, but here's a few of my favorites:

All videos NSFW (cussin', bigotry, and idiots getting upset)

MW3 - High class vs. the peasants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFSV356Os0

MW3 - High Treason punishment!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zPhcPZWydk

MW3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAjhA9QhT5Q

Second Life Grief (Obama!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFSV356Os0

Second Life Grief
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRHC3GUsDUY

He's got a lot of videos, I recommend checking them out if you find these funny.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
This is pretty low-hanging fruit, but it works. And what's better than an easy grief? Well, a complex one, but gently caress that I don't have a lot of time.

So there's a new action-MMO coming up called TERA which is the standard hack-and-slash affair. It's pretty fun, but that's not the point.

The point is that it has a wide array of playable races, and because of its Asian origins you'll never find a female character that is fully covered with clothing.

Not such a big deal though, right?

Well, no.

Until you realize that this is one of them:

Yeah.

So you'll see these little fuckers, called "Elin" (as in fELINe) hopping around with fuckoff giant axes and swords and things and generally being little catgirl child ninjas.

Well, because this is the internet you can probably assume some of the motivations people would have for playing one of these.

So you do this.

/a All Elin players are pedophiles.

Commence hour-long shitstorm as every Elin in the zone leaps on you. Not for calling them pedophiles, but for being "close-minded." I'm not even kidding.

I gave this a shot yesterday and I feel like I've been counter-griefed. These people were defending themselves by saying "THERE LOLIS!! NOT CHILDREN!" and saying that I, in fact, was the pedophile because I was trying to call them out.

If only my screenshot key was working. I probably won't be able to get back into the game until closed beta 4 is over, but rest assured they'll be there come CB5.

And Open. And Launch. And forever.

God help us.

edit: Forgot to mention how easy this grief is. Like most MMO players, TERA players cannot turn down an argument. I had people saying "BLOCKED!! :)" and then continuing to argue with me five minutes later.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Rixen posted:

:catstare: :words:

I will never not be incredibly creeped out by Elin players. Low hanging fruit be damned, there is no such thing as giving these players too much poo poo about their choice of race.

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

You didn't mention the fact that those characters had to be censored for the US release because their clothing was revealing. People flipped poo poo because they looked "better" in the original. Lots of the armor included shoes, thongs, and as close as you could get to revealing tops. Another good troll is "I think it's great that they censored Elin," and watch them come out of the woodwork to defend these furry loli characters and how much better they looked basically naked (not that it's much better now). :stare:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Isn't there a way to mod the Asian models back in? A downloadable model/texture pack or something?

ps 420 jack off to 9 year olds every day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is just gross

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Cojawfee posted:

This is just gross

The password on the mod being "I Love You" makes it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah, I do like how they only went as far as making new textures as a fix. The end result? Hot pants for everyone!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh drat, I didn't scroll all the way down to the other image.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh man are you guys going to love Nexus.

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

^^^^
Do I even want to know...?
^^^^

vandelay industries posted:

General Minus has probably been posted before, but here's a few of my favorites:

None of those struck a chord with me, but I found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_NoL9cTvk&feature=relmfu

British guy plays MW3 and pretends to be American. My favorite line was "Why don't you go to a teacher and learn how to speak... you redneck yank..." Hilarious how a few insults will get people to believe anything.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRSUgUx6wak&feature=related Some TF2 Griefing. First 6mins are some good laughs. Medic stops healing, ubers scout.

VVVV
Oh, that place. Where people have modded in all females to be nude and all horses to look like My Little Ponies... without help from the creator kit. Oh the time and abilities some people have. :allears:
VVVV

SeriousCrimesUnit fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 26, 2012

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
http://nexusmods.com/, check the "Adult" sections. Or all the other sections, because clearly underage model replacements with sexual posing is just great for their ad revenue.

It wouldn't surprise me if they put anime children in mesh tubetops into World of Tanks.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 26, 2012

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

Cojawfee posted:

This is just gross

Oh I am going to regret not capturing the captcha that first appeared when I clicked on this. It just said "Commiserate Racists"

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Customer service trolled the hell out of me then threatened to ban me for abuse.I was supposed to get early access and had 5-7 emails telling me they've solved my problem and should now be able to play. This never worked. Such a bad game and the worst service I have ever seen.

Old DoD snowtown map was always fun for griefing, especially when grenades used to hurt your own teammates. Everyone spawning in a small room with one door that could be blocked lead to alot of fun.

Also I will always remember walking up to a Street Fighter 2 machine when i was around 15 and slipping some money in to play against some 10 year old kid who then got upset that I did this and ran away bawling. Both hilarious and sad at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Boob mods of gamebryo games is nothing new. But making scantily clad children is new to me.

brm
Mar 8, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

This is just gross

Something about a lady protesting too much.

Griefing has become sort of stale though. Most newer games either outright disallow any type of meaningful player interaction or make griefing cost prohibitive. Which is unfortunate because it produces banal babies first troll griefs. People spamming 'u mad' is the equivalent of someone telling you their favorite classical composer is mozart.

Anyways my new grief is being really nice and positive over the mic in dota/hon or starting a casual conversation. People either freeze up or just start dropping the f bombs... it's painfully satisfying to see genteel behavior be so castigated in video games.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rixen posted:

This is pretty low-hanging fruit, but it works. And what's better than an easy grief? Well, a complex one, but gently caress that I don't have a lot of time.

So there's a new action-MMO coming up called TERA which is the standard hack-and-slash affair. It's pretty fun, but that's not the point.

The point is that it has a wide array of playable races, and because of its Asian origins you'll never find a female character that is fully covered with clothing.

Not such a big deal though, right?

Well, no.

Until you realize that this is one of them:

Yeah.

So you'll see these little fuckers, called "Elin" (as in fELINe) hopping around with fuckoff giant axes and swords and things and generally being little catgirl child ninjas.

Well, because this is the internet you can probably assume some of the motivations people would have for playing one of these.

So you do this.

/a All Elin players are pedophiles.

:words:
Not sure if I was expecting more from a game that has probably devoted more code-hours to breast physics than their combat system.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I've found the easiest way to grief in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is to kill steal. Despite the fact that the in-game leaderboard means absolutely nothing (all points get shared out between the whole team at the end of a round) pubbies get really really angry when you finish "their" enemy off.

This is made especially easy when you have a player class like the Vanguard who has a near instantaneous charge attack from anywhere on the map. The tears are delicious.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I got griefed pretty hard by a friend of mine, twice, several years ago. I should have learned my lesson after the first time.

My two best friends and I loved JRPGs when we were in middle school, and so we would always buy them at the same time. This was the PS1 era, and we were way into Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Suikoden, and whatever else. But I might be the only person to ever be griefed in the Lunar series. For those unfamiliar, the Lunar games are pretty generic anime-style JRPGS. Nothing special, but I really liked them at the time. Between the three of us, it was a race to finish the game, because if you didn't not only were you 'losing' but you were going to hear spoilers from the other two the next day at lunch. I usually fell behind because my parents were the only ones out of all of us that enforced a bedtime on school nights, and also the console was not in my bedroom. In Lunar, however, I was ahead.

So I spent the night at one of my friend's house, Mike. I went to go to the bathroom at one point, and he asked to load up my Lunar save to see how far ahead I was, and I said sure, because whatever. One dump later, I walked back into the room and he immediately apologized with a poo poo-eating grin about how he saved over my Lunar save with his on accident, and not only that but it was his old save that was way way behind. If you've ever used a Playstation, you know that with memory cards this sort of thing is highly unlikely. I was pissed, but I just accepted his story and moved on. I did end up beating him to finishing the game in the end, because he got stuck on the final boss, so gently caress him.

Lunar 2, same setup, except he was at my house this time. He had finished the game proper and moved onto some kind of post-game bonus content, and I was close to the end. He loaded my game up, and moved me into the final area, where you cannot return from and there is nowhere to buy items and saved over both my save files, so I was stuck, unable to win without hours and hours of really slow grinding. I never finished that game, and I don't think I ever hung out with him after that.

These weren't creative or fun like a lot of the multiplayer stuff here, but those two times were probably the most angry I've ever been about video games.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
That's not really griefing, your friend was just an rear end in a top hat.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

http://nexusmods.com/, check the "Adult" sections. Or all the other sections, because clearly underage model replacements with sexual posing is just great for their ad revenue.

It wouldn't surprise me if they put anime children in mesh tubetops into World of Tanks.

It's hosed, because almost all the good mods are hosted there right along the gross stuff. Everyone was hoping Steam Workshop would do away with the need to download mods from the Nexus but unfortunately it hasn't really happened.

They'll also ban you if you dare criticize any of the creepy mods in comments.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

brm posted:

Anyways my new grief is being really nice and positive over the mic in dota/hon or starting a casual conversation. People either freeze up or just start dropping the f bombs... it's painfully satisfying to see genteel behavior be so castigated in video games.
This would probably work in LoL too. Any other trolling would be pretty hard to detect as anything other than people in PvP being angry assholes.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Taciturn Tactician posted:

This would probably work in LoL too. Any other trolling would be pretty hard to detect as anything other than people in PvP being angry assholes.

It's really surprising the first time you say "nice gank" earnestly because someone just killed you, and they tell you to gently caress off.

You get used to it though :sigh:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Death Bot posted:

It's really surprising the first time you say "nice gank" earnestly because someone just killed you, and they tell you to gently caress off.

You get used to it though :sigh:

It's even better when you say "Thanks for the gank" at your own teammate who just helped you kill your lane opponent and they take it as sarcastic remark, explode in chat and then suicide into enemy team repeatadly.

Playing any Dotaclone probably counts as griefing yourself.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Puistokemisti posted:

It's even better when you say "Thanks for the gank" at your own teammate who just helped you kill your lane opponent and they take it as sarcastic remark, explode in chat and then suicide into enemy team repeatadly.

Playing any Dotaclone probably counts as griefing yourself.

Wow, I never had anyone explode at any of my compliments like that. Maybe it was the context but people were usually grateful for positive feedback.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My friend on Skype explodes every time I mentioned something about LoL because she thinks I criticize her game, even if I write something positive regarding it.

I've suggested she stops playing for her own hearts sake, because it doesn't sound fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently it's easy to grief Star Trek Online players by saying stuff like how Voyager was a good series. I might test this.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
LoL, Dota, and all the other variants, Like Super Monday Night Combat all breed a sense of rage into their community. Do too bad, you get raged at, do too good, more rage.. My personal best is when i won a game of SMNC while getting 1 kill and 27 deaths. He raged about how much i sucked for about 45 minutes after the match in the global chat. All i really needed to do to egg him on was simple little one liners like "I play for fun" or "What's your kill/death ratio?" and it turned the whole chat into seething rage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Apparently it's easy to grief Star Trek Online players by saying stuff like how Voyager was a good series. I might test this.

That works in any gathering of two or more nerds, not just Star Trek Online.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Random Stranger posted:

That works in any gathering of two or more nerds, not just Star Trek Online.

But I like Voyager :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't know about the other dota-likes but League of Legends has far and away the most toxic community you'll find on the internet. There's no point in griefing in this game because the rage you'll cause is indistinguishable from the rage that happens every goddamn game, and the developers are hawkeyed about spotting every single way you might use an ability to the detriment of your team and stamping it out, so there aren't many funny ways to grief your own team anyway. The best you can do is use one character's ability that grabs an enemy and pulls them to you on a strong AoE carnage character, who will proceed to destroy your team.

• Locked thread