Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

They used to use ECW as a dumping ground all of the time for the guys they didn't want to use anymore.

Which is exactly why the ECW TV show in 2006 truly was in the spirit of ECW.

Except in 2006 ECW was made up of people who weren't previously under contract, new talent they wanted to develop and major stars like Angle and RVD that they wanted to push. So it wasn't anything like that.

It can't be guys they don't want to use anymore when they weren't under contract in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Any idea when Mutoh v. Akiyama should be available for our viewing pleasure? The whole show sounds cool for that matter.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

sigmachiev posted:

Any idea when Mutoh v. Akiyama should be available for our viewing pleasure? The whole show sounds cool for that matter.
http://www.purolove.com/

About 1/4 of the way down is the March TV schedule. It'll air on the 24th.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So how much has Albert improved these days? Will he be the "same old Albert" in WWE when he comes back?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he's good

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
A-Train said the rumors were false, and he's going on the next NJPW tour.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Flameingblack posted:

A-Train said the rumors were false, and he's going on the next NJPW tour.

Next NJPW tour is the New Japan Cup which is the first week of April. The rumors have said he's coming in AFTER Wrestlemania (which is the first week of April), so...

Also he's not in the New Japan Cup tournament though I guess that wouldn't mean he wouldn't wrestle undercard matches. Honestly it's wrestling so when guys deny things it makes me that much more likely to believe the opposite of what they're saying i.e. Jericho insisting he totally wasn't coming back.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave reported that Creative think he's coming in and they are the last to know. So I presume that WWE thinks he's coming in. But who knows.

I'm still leaning towards he'll turn up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okada rules. Not sold on the gimmick, but he still rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GGGysnZ5o

I DARE you to find a better finishing sequence than that. That was awesome. Awesome! Awesome!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LordPants posted:

Okada rules. Not sold on the gimmick, but he still rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GGGysnZ5o

I DARE you to find a better finishing sequence than that. That was awesome. Awesome! Awesome!
Such a quick turnaround from "Why did they make this guy champ??" to "This guy is incredible, why wasn't he champ sooner?"

I'd say that Okada isn't as charasmatic as Tanahasi (Who is?) but he's every bit the wrestler.

In other news, they showed some vignettes on RAW of Albert's tattoos, so he is coming to the company.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I had heard his debut sucked, and people didn't dig the title change, but I heard so much positive stuff about that match that I had to check it out.

Is his debut/title win really that bad?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

Yeah I had heard his debut sucked, and people didn't dig the title change, but I heard so much positive stuff about that match that I had to check it out.

No, but people (Myself included) were absolutely dumbfounded when we heard this jobber from TNA beat Tanahashi (One of the best in the world) for the heavyweight title.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
All I thought of was "at least Okada learned from Pope D'Angelo Dinero..."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

LordPants posted:

Yeah I had heard his debut sucked
99% of the people who were SHOCKED & OUTRAGED about the title change calmed down after they actually watched the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

The title change is a great match but it's more because of Tanahashi, but Tanahashi is one of the best wrestlers in the world. It looked like that if he wasn't against someone of that level he wasn't going to cut it in main events, and well... so much for that thought!

Illinois Smith posted:

99% of the people who were SHOCKED & OUTRAGED about the title change calmed down after they actually watched the match.

The lovely debut is his work on the Tokyo Dome show, his challenge to Tanahashi was really lame and poorly received.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Not sure where is the best place to post this, but IVP are releasing a free ISO download every week now. This week is The Best of Giant Bernard V1

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=7338

code:
Keiji Muto, Kohei Suwama & NOSAWA Rongai vs. TARU, Giant Bernard & "brother" YASSHI (5/29/05)
Taiyo Kea, Jamal, Buchanan & PSYCHO vs. TARU, Giant Bernard, Johnny Stamboli & Shuji Kondo (7/22/05)
Masahiro Chono, TAKA Michinoku, Taiyo Kea & Jamal vs. TARU, Giant Bernard, Chuck Palumbo & Johnny Stamboli (7/26/05)
Satoshi Kojima & Arashi vs. TARU & Giant Bernard (9/30/05)
Akebono vs. Giant Bernard (11/19/05)
Satoshi Kojima, Kaz Hayashi, Kohei Suwama & Taiji Ishimori vs. TARU, Giant Bernard, Shuji Kondo & "brother" YASSHI (12/5/05) 
edit: every time I get a DVD from them I design a cover, so that they all match on the shelf (because I'm just that sad) so if anybody wants it

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 21, 2012

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why are they charging me $5 for delivery of a download?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why are they charging me $5 for delivery of a download?

Presumably because you did something silly. It says "DO NOT ADD TO CART. PURCHASE BY CLICKING HERE" with a "Buy Now" button next to it? Click that and it takes you to this page http://www.payloadz.com/d1/freeproducts.asp?id=1519976 and the top file (BO GI BE V1) is the iso you can download

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I am a silly billy, thanks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gonzo McFee posted:

I am a silly billy, thanks.

but if you wanna flip IVP $5, it'd be cool. That guy is awesome.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Can someone recommend me some really choice Giant Bernard matches?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

Can someone recommend me some really choice Giant Bernard matches?
Did you check out that Best of a few posts up from IVP?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Flameingblack posted:

Did you check out that Best of a few posts up from IVP?

I haven't but I should clarify - was looking for more recent stuff, that comp looks like it was mostly from six or seven years ago. I also just noticed a review of it on DVDVR and thoughts were decidedly mixed.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If you want more recent stuff, here's one from last summer that combines the Bad Intentions tag title run with the Bernard / Tanahashi rivalry in front of a neat Korakuen crowd.

Bad Intentions vs Goto & Tanahashi - It's the entire show, main event starts at about 1:32

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 23, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bernard was really good in '06-'07. He still tries but he hasn't had any incredible matches of late.

In other news, NOAH announced that GM Nakata and long-time office man/former wrestler Eigen both had yakuza ties on behalf of the company.

Yay.

edit: http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/03/23/damage-control-noah-yakuza

Ditch fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 24, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

F4W posted:

Pro Wrestling NOAH just announced that General Manager Ryu Nakata and Counselor Haruka Eigen had ties to the Yakuza from 2003 to 2010, working with them to sell tickets to the company's live events.

All of the major Japanese media covered the story, which will give the promotion a bad public image. Virtually every promotion in sports and entertainment in Japan has Yakuza tie-ins, but it's probably best analogized like the steroid issue in sports in the U.S. It's commonplace in every major sport, deep down everyone knows it, but if it comes out that somebody used it publicly, it's a black mark against them. Pride went down largely because of these revelations.

Exactly how this will fall out is unknown, but expect fall out very quickly.

NOAH was, at least among Japanese sports fans, the most popular promotion in the country for much of the last decade, but fell on hard times in recent years once losing its network television outlet. A financially-strapped NTV, due to the recession, canceled pro wrestling, one of the longest lasting shows in the history of television in any country, dating back more than 50 years. The death of president Mitsuharu Misawa was another gigantic blow. Without strong television, the company was unable to create new stars who could sell tickets like Misawa and the frequently injured and physically destroyed Kenta Kobashi.

It's a shame, but they're right. Without Kobashi or Misawa, two of the biggest Puro stars of the 90's it just doesn't seem to have that draw power anymore. I would argue that guys like KENTA could carry the company, but I guess he just isn't clicking hard enough with the fans to draw them in.

Once PRIDE came out with its known Yakuza links they folded pretty quickly. I don't know how many Puro promotions have ties to the Yakuza, but it's probably almost all of them.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 24, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

It's a shame, but they're right. Without Kobashi or Misawa, two of the biggest Puro stars of the 90's it just doesn't seem to have that draw power anymore. I would argue that guys like KENTA could carry the company, but I guess he just isn't clicking hard enough with the fans to draw them in.

Once PRIDE came out with its known Yakuza links they folded pretty quickly. I don't know how many Puro promotions have ties to the Yakuza, but it's probably almost all of them.

They don't have TV. KENTA could click (and he sort of does, I think his GHC title match saw an uptick in attendance) and no one would know about it because they have no real outlet right now. Even with how lovely their final timeslot was, it was still something fans could see. PRIDE's yakuza connections cost them TV, so NOAH may not be hit too hard by this... unless they were in talks to get back on NTV.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I watched the Okada/Naito match this weekend, and I must say I'm not too impressed with Okada. I don't think he's horrible, but most of the stuff he does looks so contrived and ridiculous (I love lariats more than drat near anything in wrestling, but do you REALLY have to do some sort of loving do-si-do with your opponent before hitting the move? Just get a good running start and blast the guy ffs).

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 26, 2012

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I watched the tag Ditch just put up today and Nagata looked so happy at the end. Never have I seen someone so happy to suplex someone.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
"I'M ABOUT TO DO A BRIDGING SUPLEX TO SOMEONE LIKE HALF MY SIZE! THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

Goofy Nagata > *

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So is there any good mega-resource to read up on Puroresu in general and like, what the current field is like right now and all? Basically I'm totally new to following this stuff, but it seems like it's right up my alley.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ditch posted:

"I'M ABOUT TO DO A BRIDGING SUPLEX TO SOMEONE LIKE HALF MY SIZE! THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

Goofy Nagata > *

"I JUST KICKED HIS HEAD IN AND NOW I GET TO SUPLEX HIM?! YAAAAAAY!!!!"

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
This week's freebie at IVP features everyone's favourite Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim General Manager of Raw

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=7837

quote:

Best of Johnny Ace Vol. 1
Johnny Ace, Terry Gordy, & Steve Williams vs Stan Hansen, Dan Spivey, & Joel Deaton 7/15/1990
Johnny Ace & Stan Hansen vs Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi (JIP) 7/17/1992
Johnny Ace & Stan Hansen vs Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi (JIP) 10/11/1992
Johnny Ace & Stan Hansen vs Toshiaki Kawada & Mitsuharu Misawa 12/2/1992
Johnny Ace & Stan Hansen vs Steve Williams & Terry Gordy (JIP) 12/4/1992
Johnny Ace, Rob Van Dam, & Richard Slinger vs The Patriot, The Eagle, & Johnny Gunn
Johnny Ace, Steve Williams, & Johnny Smith vs Stan Hansen, Doug Furnas, & Kroffat Lafon
plus a Bonus match

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 26, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Glitterbomber posted:

So is there any good mega-resource to read up on Puroresu in general and like, what the current field is like right now and all? Basically I'm totally new to following this stuff, but it seems like it's right up my alley.
That's tricky. Depends on what you're looking for.

http://purolove.com is the best general resource, though it's in German. It has the most comprehensive amount of results and championship data.

http://www.puroresucentral.com is the place to go for profiles.

http://puroresufan.com lets you know what's going on in New Japan. It also has a big message board, with a sub-board for NJ, AJ, NOAH, and a topic for pretty much ever promotion in the catch-all 4th board.

http://iheartdg.com covers Dragon Gate the best.

Anything else you want?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

apsouthern posted:

This week's freebie at IVP features everyone's favourite Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim General Manager of Raw

"Plus a bonus match"

I have a feeling said bonus match will make the DVD worth it.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Lone Rogue posted:

"Plus a bonus match"

I have a feeling said bonus match will make the DVD worth it.

Bonus match http://www.imgur.com/NCD9T.jpg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ditch posted:

That's tricky. Depends on what you're looking for.

http://purolove.com is the best general resource, though it's in German. It has the most comprehensive amount of results and championship data.

http://www.puroresucentral.com is the place to go for profiles.

http://puroresufan.com lets you know what's going on in New Japan. It also has a big message board, with a sub-board for NJ, AJ, NOAH, and a topic for pretty much ever promotion in the catch-all 4th board.

http://iheartdg.com covers Dragon Gate the best.

Anything else you want?

Those are great, thanks a lot.

Is there any good resource for watching the actual matches and all that aren't :filez:, or is it just 'follow the news and wait for the official channels to release free stuff'?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nobody on SA cares about linking puro matches. The way I (and most people) look at it is that the Japanese promotions aren't selling DVDs outside Japan and don't care about open DVD sellers, so it's felt that sharing matches is fine.

My sites (theditch.com, .biz and .us) are the big download warehouses. As far as current stuff, the puroresufan.com board and other related boards (ie. DVDVR) are a good place to go, as well as dailymotion (Japanese feds DO care about Youtube, which has a lot of traffic in Japan). Also, wrestling torrent sites. Shows on TV are generally online within a week of airing.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

apsouthern posted:

Sure are a lot of tag matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Sure are a lot of tag matches.
Because Ace got carried.