Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
LoL'a community is tame compared to the fans of the original and Heroes of Newerth. Not sure about dota 2 as I quit playing those types of games a while back.

Dota just attracts an awful community in any form it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
If you really needed to grief you could just play Ezreal, Karthus, Gangplank, Pantheon, Ziggs, Lux, or Nocturne. All of them have abilities that either hit every enemy, can hit anywhere on the map, or have a range of a third to a half of the length of the map. In LoL you get more gold when you get a kill than when you get an assist, so if you kill steal a lot from the other side of the map it'll annoy people.

Of course, the working definition of "kill steal" is "get a kill when you weren't the only person attacking that enemy" so again, putting in too much effort.

Anivia can summon an impassible wall of ice, and allies are incapable of getting through it, so you could trap your allies and prevent an escape. Jarvan IV is also capable of doing this, his ultimate creates a little ring and you can trap an ally inside there with an enemy.

So it's not impossible to grief LoL, it's just pointless.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Tufty posted:

But I like Voyager :(

Well it works cause now I'm getting mad :mad:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think that proves my point.

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.
Didn't see this posted, even when it was new. Some Team Avolition stuff that isn't just 'delete tower, insert tree.'

Minecraft Griefing - ChaosCraft
From the description: The admin was allegedly harassing players to donate money for server upgrades. I decided to stop by and take a look, and about five minutes later, the admin told a player to steal money in order to donate. Then he ordered us all to attend a virtual church service because it was a Christian server. Jackpot.

Left 4 Dead 2 Griefing - 30,000 Damage Pistol
Just as it says. One thing I will never understand about players is that once they realized they're getting griefed, instead of just calmly leaving and finding a game they want to play, or playing along with the griefers, they stay, complain, and feed into them. "Daddy bought you a server." You know you don't have to play on it, right?

One lovely girl's attempt at payback makes my ears cringe. Let's see if you can spot her.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeriousCrimesUnit posted:

Didn't see this posted, even when it was new. Some Team Avolition stuff that isn't just 'delete tower, insert tree.'

Minecraft Griefing - ChaosCraft
From the description: The admin was allegedly harassing players to donate money for server upgrades. I decided to stop by and take a look, and about five minutes later, the admin told a player to steal money in order to donate. Then he ordered us all to attend a virtual church service because it was a Christian server. Jackpot.

Left 4 Dead 2 Griefing - 30,000 Damage Pistol
Just as it says. One thing I will never understand about players is that once they realized they're getting griefed, instead of just calmly leaving and finding a game they want to play, or playing along with the griefers, they stay, complain, and feed into them. "Daddy bought you a server." You know you don't have to play on it, right?

One lovely girl's attempt at payback makes my ears cringe. Let's see if you can spot her.

The best part of this L4D2 griefing so far is how they are making up stuff as proof he is hacking. 'LOOK HIS SCREEN IS SHAKING' etc. Why even make stuff up? He is one-shotting tanks, just leave it at that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eonwe posted:

The best part of this L4D2 griefing so far is how they are making up stuff as proof he is hacking. 'LOOK HIS SCREEN IS SHAKING' etc. Why even make stuff up? He is one-shotting tanks, just leave it at that.

I don't even see the point in hacking l4d, since it's up there with Dota in terms of people raging. He could have extracted that much rage just by sticking to a regular pistol and not switching.

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.
For me it wasn't the rage as much as people making asses of themselves and coming up with how to tell they're hacking.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

I love to grief people occasionally, It's one of life's simple pleasures that I feel for the most part doesn't hurt anyone. My personal story of greifing is less about messing with people and more about annoying them as much as I can.

My story starts in the few months after Halo 2 launched. Myself and a few friends played this game constantly on Live, any chance we got we played Halo. After a few months I was an above average player bordering on decent and I had a pretty high rank in the free for all gametype. I don't know what got into me that day but I just felt like being a colossal rear end, So game starts and I get a few kills ahead so I take this my cue to start trash talking.

I should note that on Halo 2 in free for all you could talk to everyone that was playing it was sort of like a party line everyone can hear everyone. So I'm bragging about how much better I am than all these people and start really riling them up, they respond with the usual " gently caress you human being!" "I boned your mom!!" "I'm gonna jam a stick up your rear end!" usual X-Box Live antics. Halfway through the match every time I get a kill I'd start singing to the tune of "Unbelievable" by EMF "OH! I'm unbelievably GOOD! Good at Halo 2!" I also ended up winning that match by 5 kills which to this day I don't know how I accomplished because of how hard I was laughing.

TL;DR I was an annoying rear end in a top hat that sang songs to the people I killed on Halo 2

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know about the other dota-likes but League of Legends has far and away the most toxic community you'll find on the internet.

The shocking part is that LoL is, from what I've seen, actually the least toxic of the DotAlike communities. Actual DotA is far worse.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember playing Team Fortress Classic back in the day on a server where some guy was endlessly singing Eye of the Tiger. He didn't seem know any of the words, but did he let that stop him?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mokinokaro posted:

I think most of it has to do with the fact you can lose the game in the first five minutes and be stuck for 30-45 minutes playing regardless for various reasons. I've had perfectly normal and regularly sane friends be driven to a frothing rage by these games. I can understand their frustration; I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time like that.

This also happens in FPS/RTS hybrids, though for some reason it isn't as bad. Maybe due to player counts and general 'shootin dudes in the head hell yeah' sentiment people don't get as upset as they do in small team environments.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

I think most of it has to do with the fact you can lose the game in the first five minutes and be stuck for 30-45 minutes playing regardless for various reasons. I've had perfectly normal and regularly sane friends be driven to a frothing rage by these games. I can understand their frustration; I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time like that.

Yeah:
- game can be decided in the first five minutes
- a single inexperienced or incompetent teammate can hand the other team the game
- even if this happens, game takes 30-45 minutes to play out
- can't quit early or go AFK without being sanctioned
- can't convince the rest of the team to surrender
= a perfect mixture to incite rage

quote:

This also happens in FPS/RTS hybrids, though for some reason it isn't as bad. Maybe due to player counts and general 'shootin dudes in the head hell yeah' sentiment people don't get as upset as they do in small team environments.

Probably a mix of both, plus, in my experience, it's easier to come back from a bad start in something like Natural Selection or Nuclear Dawn.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's like the difference between European and American board games. American board games in general are like LoL, because every mistake makes winning harder and harder. European board games don't work like that. Mistakes are punished, but you still have a fighting chance up until the end.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hungry Gerbil posted:

It's like the difference between European and American board games. American board games in general are like LoL, because every mistake makes winning harder and harder. European board games don't work like that. Mistakes are punished, but you still have a fighting chance up until the end.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm thinking along the lines of an American board game like Monopoly or Snakes and Ladders, and mistakes don't mean much. A couple good rolls for you, or bad for your opponent, and you can be back on top pretty easily.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm thinking along the lines of an American board game like Monopoly or Snakes and Ladders, and mistakes don't mean much. A couple good rolls for you, or bad for your opponent, and you can be back on top pretty easily.

Monopoly is a good example for typical American board game design. It's all about owning streets. The more streets you own the more money you earn and the less money you have to pay for rent. Other players on the other hand have a harder time the more streets you own. In European/German board games losing gives you more opportunities to catch up and winning makes it harder to stay ahead. It's not as absurd as the blue turtle in Mario Kart, but it works similarly. This makes the game more engaging and interesting from the beginning to the end.

There are a few other important differences like no player elimination, but they obviously don't apply to LoL.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 26, 2012

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Monopoly is a good example for typical American board game design. It's all about owning streets. The more streets you own the more money you earn and the less money you have to pay for rent. Other players on the other hand have a harder time the more streets you own. In European/German board games losing gives you more opportunities to catch up and winning makes it harder to stay ahead. It's not as absurd as the blue turtle in Mario Kart, but it works similarly. This makes the game more engaging and interesting from the beginning to the end.

There are a few other important differences like no player elimination, but they obviously don't apply to LoL.

It's not exactly that simple but something like that.

In Carcassonne, you have to place tokens down to claim things to earn points either upon completing the property or at the end of the game. However, you have a limited amount of tokens, so you must be strategic with your use of them and you can only place them down on a tile you place on your turn; else you're placing down tiles and unable to claim anything. It's not like LoL where a person with more gold simply has an easier time getting ahead, or Monopoly where you need money to stay in the game and having more money means more possibilities.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah:
- game can be decided in the first five minutes
- a single inexperienced or incompetent teammate can hand the other team the game
- even if this happens, game takes 30-45 minutes to play out
- can't quit early or go AFK without being sanctioned
- can't convince the rest of the team to surrender
= a perfect mixture to incite rage

Probably a mix of both, plus, in my experience, it's easier to come back from a bad start in something like Natural Selection or Nuclear Dawn.
The game also locks surrender votes until like twenty minutes in, it's worth noting. You can be in a situation where every time you see an enemy you die and still be stuck waiting for the privilege of giving up. On the other hand, while there is definitely a positive reinforcement loop aspect to LoL, it's not impossible to come back from a losing position, but a lot of people will spam surrender votes if your team is going 48-49. Even if everyone on the team votes against it every single time.

It's almost 100% the second point, though. I've never played any other game where one of your team mates being bad is so harmful.

Edit: It's also worth noting that as well as positive reinforcement loop of "if the enemy team is doing well, it makes it easier for them to accrue more advantages" there's also a very strong negative reinforcement loop in LoL. Fall behind the rest of the players and you're pretty badly screwed. You need to go where enemies are to have a hope of catching back up, but you need be constantly running to avoid dying and making everything worse. Plus, since a weaker player wants to be away from the action, often they'll end up separated from the rest of their team- and if the enemy team notices this, they can all gang up on that player, making it even more impossible for them.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 26, 2012

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Double-tap the spacebar at the last second of the countdown in a Mass Effect 3 lobby.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Mokinokaro posted:

LoL'a community is tame compared to the fans of the original and Heroes of Newerth. Not sure about dota 2 as I quit playing those types of games a while back.

I found LoL to be way worse. Even the goons which are supposed to be generally positive were way more angry. I had to block one goon because simply discussing why I would take one item first instead of second would send him into a frothing rage for the entire day. God help me if I thought a current hero that was considered second tier was good.

The funny part is annie was the hero who soon after I blocked him became considered very OP. Guess it was worth yelling at me for 2 days, huh?

In hon I never saw people get yelled at over picks unless it was an instalock carry, or item builds unless it was purposely awful. Generally you had to actually do something to invoke screaming (which still came very easily for a video game).

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember playing Team Fortress Classic back in the day on a server where some guy was endlessly singing Eye of the Tiger. He didn't seem know any of the words, but did he let that stop him?

That reminds me, there was a guy in my WoW guild who was fairly good at the game, and a fun guy. He was, for whatever reason, quoting Eye of the Tiger into guild chat and getting a line wrong(it's the cream of the fight, instead of it's the thrill of the fight). He was absolutely adamant that that was the correct lyric, to the point that he ended up gquitting and never coming back, because we wouldn't admit that he was right, or even that his lyric even made any sense. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not he was trolling us.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

oldgoatmon posted:

I found LoL to be way worse. Even the goons which are supposed to be generally positive were way more angry. I had to block one goon because simply discussing why I would take one item first instead of second would send him into a frothing rage for the entire day. God help me if I thought a current hero that was considered second tier was good.

The funny part is annie was the hero who soon after I blocked him became considered very OP. Guess it was worth yelling at me for 2 days, huh?

In hon I never saw people get yelled at over picks unless it was an instalock carry, or item builds unless it was purposely awful. Generally you had to actually do something to invoke screaming (which still came very easily for a video game).

Assuming that goons are better at games or that they take them less seriously is a fallacy, especially when it comes to DOTA. That game makes everyone into horrible retards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Goons are people that have spent $10 to join one of the ten largest forums on the internet. Any further generalization is a bit off. :v:

Regarding DOTA-likes, I do also think it's just a combination of the length of time dedicated to playing a single game and how easily a game can be lost due to a single person (no matter how good the other players on the team are). L4D has the same issue if a little less advanced and I'm not surprised the community has some of the same issues.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Anivia can summon an impassible wall of ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAN1oDRJpk

Yessir, it's MacLaren.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fizbin posted:

That reminds me, there was a guy in my WoW guild who was fairly good at the game, and a fun guy. He was, for whatever reason, quoting Eye of the Tiger into guild chat and getting a line wrong(it's the cream of the fight, instead of it's the thrill of the fight). He was absolutely adamant that that was the correct lyric, to the point that he ended up gquitting and never coming back, because we wouldn't admit that he was right, or even that his lyric even made any sense. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not he was trolling us.

Thank you for posting a funny story that does not spare a single word for single-character team-based action-RTSs.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Category Fun! posted:

That game makes everyone into horrible retards.

Reason #1 why I don't play it even though I've got a key; I already get mad at video games. DOTA would probably have me punching walls.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember way back playing Natural Selection, there was this guy who was constantly talking on the mic. Like not even a second of silence. It was just this stream of consciousnesses, stuff about his life, the game, bits of random songs etc. If anyone else tried to get a word in, he would freak the gently caress out and demand that that everyone wait until he was finished talking.

The thing that made it funny was that he was so forceful in his yelling that everyone listened to him. People would get pissed and yell at him to shut up, and he would scream abuse until they just gave up. Half the team was yelling at him in text speech because no one could stand against his voice.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

CraigK posted:

Reason #1 why I don't play it even though I've got a key; I already get mad at video games. DOTA would probably have me punching walls.

DotA 2 is super fun. If you win some games (which you won't at first, I guarantee it), you'll end up with people who know what they're doing and work together. Goons are pretty good at working together and some are even really nice and give you tips.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

I remember way back playing Natural Selection, there was this guy who was constantly talking on the mic. Like not even a second of silence. It was just this stream of consciousnesses, stuff about his life, the game, bits of random songs etc. If anyone else tried to get a word in, he would freak the gently caress out and demand that that everyone wait until he was finished talking.

That sounds like the framing device for a new Bill Murray fear-of-death comedy.

It reminded me of the chozo video, which I still find funny, because I remain a child at heart.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Ah, found the link I was looking for.

If you want a good example of the HoN community, I think this one sums up the game pretty well: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?p=13638318#post13638318

(Yes, that man works for the company that made the game and yes, to my knowledge he still works there)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Never underestimate the power of grognards.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It's probably been brought up before but LFR in World of Warcraft is the single most efficient griefing tool on the planet if you're simply going for the largest numbers of griefs per minute. Pretty easy to get 4-5 GPM going, I think.

Take a healer class for the fastest queue possible, then queue up for the Siege of Wyrmrest temple. This also has the bonus unintentional effect of meaning one less person healing them for faster wipes. Wait til your group gets to the boss, then just start pulling the side trash packs around the room. If you do it during the first boss's black sludge phase, it's much less noticeable and people probably won't figure out who did it for a wipe or three.

The first time it happens usually everyone will stick around, maybe getting confused about how the trash pulled. The second time people will start naming names of whoever died to the adds first, turning into a witch hunt as people give up and drop group to log off WoW and unsub. By the third time people will have eyes like a hawk, but who cares you probably already had 10 people quit and be replaced by this point so the third wipe's what gets the other half of the raid to ragequit before they figure out IT WAS YOU and you promptly leave and get a new group to to make miserable.

It's pure unadulterated griefing with absolutely no recourse for the victims as far as I know, and I get so much delight out of it that I'm pretty sure I'm becoming a sociopath.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They actually added a random raid finder? I think Blizzard is griefing the players at this point.

Someone sent me Super Monday Night Combat on Steam. I don't know why. How easy is it to grief people in this game? I may consider playing it if I can troll the poo poo out of people, because the original MNC just looked like it wanted to be Team Fortress 2 a little too much.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
See all that discussion previously about Dota-likes and how horrid the community is. Congrats, it is another one with an FPS bent. Now it is a completely different game than before and is attracting the Dota mindset where the only time you ever hear people talk over the voice system is to berate you for feeding or not allowing them to feed fast enough. It isn't hard to troll, you can do it from the character selection screen.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Some really classy EVE griefing by The Mittani:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116503-Eve-Online-Panel-Encourages-Harassing-Suicidal-Player
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Zeether posted:

Apparently it's easy to grief Star Trek Online players by saying stuff like how Voyager was a good series. I might test this.

STO is grief heaven.

All you need to do to start a shitstorm is to ask in zone chat (the "global" chat) why the Federation needs loving cat people, then watch as the furries come out to wildly defend their turf.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
World of Tanks players are clearly the easiest to grief all you need to do is point out who the worst player in the game is and people rage hard. Right now I think there are 4 threads on the wot forums asking the devs to get rid of a mod that allows players to see who the worst player is in game.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/107657-devs-please-win-rate-mod/

Another good one is saying Allah guide my gold shells, or drive around in a type 59.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Minrad posted:

It's probably been brought up before but LFR in World of Warcraft is the single most efficient griefing tool on the planet if you're simply going for the largest numbers of griefs per minute. Pretty easy to get 4-5 GPM going, I think.

I swear to god Blizzard didn't think a lot of the LFR stuff all the way through. A few fights in that instance are easily griefable. For example, on Spine of Deathwing, there are four tentacles that are up during the fight. The strategy basically goes in LFR: Kill one -> It spawns a big add and then constantly spawns slimes -> Kill slimes -> drag the big add over where they died 10 times -> Kill it, it explodes, then DPS down a "tendon" that spawns. The part that makes it griefable is the fact that the tentacles have a stupidly small HP pool, so anyone can easily solo them down. It's not so sneaky as pulling adds on Morchok, but it's pretty much a guaranteed wipe in LFR because most LFR groups are absolutely terrible and can't manage more than one big add at a time. I've been in a few groups where 2-3 people from the same guild just attack tentacles and don't say anything while people freak the gently caress out.

Also, if you play a priest, you have a skill where you can pull someone towards you. It's intended to pull people out of bad stuff, but you can also use it to great effect on the last fight of the first half, where the boss spawns ice walls that kill you if you touch them. If you can get in range, you can pull someone through the wall and kill them and nobody will know who did it.

Probably the easiest way to grief people, though, is by rolling need on items you don't actually need. Blizzard tried to make it so you can only roll on gear you'd actually need, but certain classes/specs can actually roll on every item of a specific armor type. This is because while blizzard differentiates certain items based on what you've queued as (Tank, healer, DPS,) it doesn't further break it down by what type of DPS you are. Basically, this means that for classes where they have more than one type of DPS spec (Shamans, Druids,) they can basically roll on every type of gear that their class could possibly use. I've been in a lot of groups where a caster shaman rolls on physical gear, then when they win they tell the group "well, not my fault Blizzard hasn't fixed this." It's gotten to the point now where people will basically roll need on everything just because they can, so winning anything in LFR is stupidly hard.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Whats so bad about the Type 59?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bertrand Hustle posted:

They actually added a random raid finder? I think Blizzard is griefing the players at this point.

Someone sent me Super Monday Night Combat on Steam. I don't know why. How easy is it to grief people in this game? I may consider playing it if I can troll the poo poo out of people, because the original MNC just looked like it wanted to be Team Fortress 2 a little too much.

Nobody plays Super Monday Night Combat anymore. Sorry.

• Locked thread