Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OrganizedEntropy posted:

The headers have 1 7/8" primaries leading back to 3" midpipes with a 3" x pipe. They are American Racing headers and the fit and finish on them was fantastic. All the sections easily fit together, and I have no problems getting it to hook up with the factory sleeve flanges that Ford uses on the OEM catback.

Definitely a HUGE improvement over the last two sets of Dynatech LT's that I installed. They required quite abit of percussive therapy and adjustment to get them to fit.

I am a big fan of the American Racing headers and x-pipe setups. My wife's G8 has them along with a Magnaflow cat back ad they're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elephanthead posted:

Oh boy flashing lights and annoying radios that cost $2000 to fix 3 days beyond warranty. I want a value edition that gets rid of all that and replaces it with a supercharger at the same price. I would crank my own windows for a supercharger.

You have the value edition already: it's called "living in the US."

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Another interesting tidbit about the 2013s is that Ford FINALLY added manual mode on the autotragics!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

autotragics!

Ugh, can we please not do this?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

Another interesting tidbit about the 2013s is that Ford FINALLY added manual mode on the autotragics!

They've been putting these into cars since the 90s, I'm not sure why it took Ford so long to adopt them. If it throttle blips on downshifts, holds gears while bouncing off the rev limiter, and shifts instantaneously when prompted, then I'll strongly consider one.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

quote:

Also, the automatic transmission now includes full manual control, with a +/- button on the side of the shifter to easily thumb through them, and no forced downshifts or upshifts in manual mode;

From here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074214_2013-ford-mustang-first-drive?fbfanpage

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

They've been putting these into cars since the 90s, I'm not sure why it took Ford so long to adopt them. If it throttle blips on downshifts, holds gears while bouncing off the rev limiter, and shifts instantaneously when prompted, then I'll strongly consider one.

It'll be as good as anything else that's based on a torque converter and planetary gears. It'll keep you from doing huge downshifts and shift for you when it thinks that you've accidentally flipped the car into manual mode. It's not a performance thing, it's just a little bit of added fun. I'm surprised it took Ford this long to add it but I kinda understand why they didn't bother.

If you can drive a stick go with the manual, the clutch is feather light and all that torque everywhere means you can pretty much sit in 4th gear between 15 and 40 mph if you're not in a hurry. I go 1->4 all the time. The days of heavy clutches and sore left legs are pretty far passed.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Paging Phil to the thread...

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Just finished installing a set of Pypes pype bomb axle back muffler deletes on my 2011 GT.. I should have installed these a long time ago! No video as I have nothing that will capture the sound well enough. American Muscle's video captures it accurately, though.

Anyone know if there are any CARB exempt intake systems out yet? It wouldn't be too difficult to take it off and put the stock back on every time I need to smog but I'd love to avoid the hassle.

Also, it's about time for new tires. Planning on changing from 255/40r19 to 275/35r19 as they should fit. I'm considering the BFG k-force ta kdws (though I hear they're loud [but cheap]), or the Hankook Ventus R-S3 (supposedly wears out very quickly), or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (more expensive but great tires).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

Paging Phil to the thread...

I've been banned twice (I think) for that. Sigtrap is a big jerk who can only show his love by hurting me. :(

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I've been banned twice (I think) for that. Sigtrap is a big jerk who can only show his love by hurting me. :(

Don't feel too bad I can't go near the EV thread without getting probated.

That's said I saw somewhere yesterday that the automatic will let you hold gear an bounce off the limiter all you want so I was completely loving wrong.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kronix posted:

Don't feel too bad I can't go near the EV thread without getting probated.

That's said I saw somewhere yesterday that the automatic will let you hold gear an bounce off the limiter all you want so I was completely loving wrong.

That would be autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/19/2013-ford-mustang-gt-first-drive-review/

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My brand new 2012 v6 just got to the lot today, but I can't pick it up until Saturday. The only cars I owned before it were a 94 sunbird and a 98 stratus. The wait is already killing me.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Car is officially finished. Took her out for a spin around the block, holy gently caress she is loud. The car sounds utterly badass; it's 0 degrees C here in Calgary and I was driving around with the windows open and a big grin on my face.

http://youtu.be/vvCFRRTTEnE?hd=1

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Car is officially finished. Took her out for a spin around the block, holy gently caress she is loud. The car sounds utterly badass; it's 0 degrees C here in Calgary and I was driving around with the windows open and a big grin on my face.

That video is private, it says.

But I'm sure it was great.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

PT6A posted:

That video is private, it says.

But I'm sure it was great.

She be fixed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Nice work, hoss. Get some low angle pictures for me; I want to see how low they hang.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Nice work, hoss. Get some low angle pictures for me; I want to see how low they hang.

Definitely, I'll grab some next week.

Here is a quick interior vid with my iphone on the seat. I couldn't take anything longer as I was stuck in traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EyNLfnlPp0

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 25, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
are you guys watching alcatraz right now?!

Edit: well that could have been longer but it was fun, they Basically tried to recreate the chase scene from Bullitt in San Francisco with the previous model Dodge Charger and a purple 2013 Mustang. They even threw in stuff like the VW Beetle getting in the way. I'm sure someone will throw it on youtube or something tomorrow.

davebo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 27, 2012

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm pretty much ready to pick up a 2013 Mustang, but I wonder if I should wait a few months when we get 9 dollar gas and the ensuing apocalypse. Probably get a good incentive in there.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I'm pretty much ready to pick up a 2013 Mustang, but I wonder if I should wait a few months when we get 9 dollar gas and the ensuing apocalypse. Probably get a good incentive in there.

I really have my doubts that it'll be that good. Every time Ford does a redesign/refresh they get stingy with customer incentives.

I've heard good things about Costco auto from people in this ITT.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
$6.00 gas really drives down V8 sales. Ford may already be building less V8s though in anticipation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Gas is already $4-6/gallon in Canada, and F-150s are still the most popular vehicle.

Even if V8 sales do go down, the V6 gets excellent mileage. I get 9 L/100km in the city, and I can drive it down to 6-7 on the highway, even going over mountain passes (26 and 36 mpg, respectively). And I'm not exactly driving it gingerly either.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

davebo posted:

are you guys watching alcatraz right now?!

Edit: well that could have been longer but it was fun, they Basically tried to recreate the chase scene from Bullitt in San Francisco with the previous model Dodge Charger and a purple 2013 Mustang. They even threw in stuff like the VW Beetle getting in the way. I'm sure someone will throw it on youtube or something tomorrow.

For people that want to watch it:

http://jalopnik.com/5896697/watch-the-bullitt-chase-remake-from-the-alcatraz-finale

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Charger didn't even lose any hubcaps, voted 1. :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
plus they didn't do this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It has arrived!

Hopefully this weekend I get some time to put the bitch on.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I was able to keep my Pypes axle back chambered muffler deletes on for almost a week. Swapped them back out to stock after the first trip down the freeway.

The first drive was great. Every time I drove it after that point had further diminishing enjoyment heh.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Should I buy a 2000 Mustang GT 5spd for 3500 dollars?

140k miles, seems to be in really great shape. The only thing I expect out of this car is reliability. Not concerned with random parts breaking that can be easily replaced. My past 2 4 cylinder shitboxes broke a timing belt and the other blew a head gasket.

So I guess what I'm asking here, is I'm going to have to borrow about 2500 to get it, and it'll take me about a year to pay it off. Is it reasonable to expect the 4.6 to last that long (I'd guess up to ~175k with how much I drive)? I just don't want something to break catastrophically that will leave me with a dead car and payments to make. Not so concerned with smaller things breaking that can be replaced easily.

I've always wanted a Mustang so bad and this seems like a good opportunity to me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

optikalus posted:

I was able to keep my Pypes axle back chambered muffler deletes on for almost a week. Swapped them back out to stock after the first trip down the freeway.

The first drive was great. Every time I drove it after that point had further diminishing enjoyment heh.

Luckily I don't drive the Shelby more than once or twice a month, so it will retain some new-ness for some time (hopefully).

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Luckily I don't drive the Shelby more than once or twice a month, so it will retain some new-ness for some time (hopefully).

Give it a drive on the freeway first. The 2011 GT's gearing made the Pypes drone horribly at freeway speeds. Enough to literally hurt my passenger's and I's ears. I praised the crest of the hill when I could finally get off the gas and the exhaust quietened.

On the street, it was perfectly fine as I could put it in 6th for 'stealth mode'. On the freeway, the drone was unavoidable.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

optikalus posted:

Give it a drive on the freeway first. The 2011 GT's gearing made the Pypes drone horribly at freeway speeds. Enough to literally hurt my passenger's and I's ears. I praised the crest of the hill when I could finally get off the gas and the exhaust quietened.

On the street, it was perfectly fine as I could put it in 6th for 'stealth mode'. On the freeway, the drone was unavoidable.

Well, another nice thing is that I never take it on the freeway. I am not expecting it to be any more drone-y than my wife's LS2 G8 with Headers, X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back. Louder, yes. Report forthcoming, whenever I get time to install them.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, another nice thing is that I never take it on the freeway. I am not expecting it to be any more drone-y than my wife's LS2 G8 with Headers, X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back. Louder, yes. Report forthcoming, whenever I get time to install them.

You're in luck because I liked mine for the most part before I took it on the freeway. I only drive on the freeway a few times a month (my commute is mostly city), so it should be great for you. It's a totally different beast with the exhaust in the city.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BlazinLow305 posted:

Should I buy a 2000 Mustang GT 5spd for 3500 dollars?

140k miles, seems to be in really great shape. The only thing I expect out of this car is reliability. Not concerned with random parts breaking that can be easily replaced. My past 2 4 cylinder shitboxes broke a timing belt and the other blew a head gasket.

So I guess what I'm asking here, is I'm going to have to borrow about 2500 to get it, and it'll take me about a year to pay it off. Is it reasonable to expect the 4.6 to last that long (I'd guess up to ~175k with how much I drive)? I just don't want something to break catastrophically that will leave me with a dead car and payments to make. Not so concerned with smaller things breaking that can be replaced easily.

I've always wanted a Mustang so bad and this seems like a good opportunity to me.

My anecdotal evidence: The only thing I've had to fix outside of normal wear and tear was replacing the alternator and battery at 100k miles. The alternator cost me $85 and took maybe 15 minutes to change using a single ratchet and socket.
You can probably make a decent argument for a 100k mile alternator replacement as being "routine maintenance" too.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I drove a dealer 2012 V6 last weekend, just for the heck of it. I wanted to see if a $22k mustang could really be worth owning. Overall impression... meh. I was pretty underwhelmed with the power, and that was the one thing I really expected to be good. It had no down low grunt, and not really much pop anywhere else either. I would say it is badly in need of a gear reduction in the diff. What are people doing to this to liven them up? When I see a car that has 300+ HP, I expect it to have a little spunk. Did Ford kill the fun for fuel economy? Or did I expect too much?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

I drove a dealer 2012 V6 last weekend, just for the heck of it. I wanted to see if a $22k mustang could really be worth owning. Overall impression... meh. I was pretty underwhelmed with the power, and that was the one thing I really expected to be good. It had no down low grunt, and not really much pop anywhere else either. I would say it is badly in need of a gear reduction in the diff. What are people doing to this to liven them up? When I see a car that has 300+ HP, I expect it to have a little spunk. Did Ford kill the fun for fuel economy? Or did I expect too much?

I keep reading that the performance package makes it a totally different car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

mutt2jeff posted:

Basically yes if you drove it with 2.73 gear ratio then its soulless fuel econo ratio. If you drove it with 3.73 it would be hoonesville.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

Basically yes if you drove it with 2.73 gear ratio then its soulless fuel econo ratio. If you drove it with 3.73 it would be hoonesville.

I think the best you can do from the dealership is a 3.31.

You have to remember the V6 has 2 demographics, people who want to drive a Mustang but don't really want a sports car and people looking to hoon on a budget, that's why they make the performance package. Also, it's going to drive a lot more like a G37 than a Mustang GT in terms of power delivery. You want fast, rev the everliving gently caress out of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kronix posted:

I think the best you can do from the dealership is a 3.31.

You have to remember the V6 has 2 demographics, people who want to drive a Mustang but don't really want a sports car and people looking to hoon on a budget, that's why they make the performance package. Also, it's going to drive a lot more like a G37 than a Mustang GT in terms of power delivery. You want fast, rev the everliving gently caress out of it.

In Canada, we get the 3.73 on the V6 with our version of the performance package. Just be willing to pay an extra $8000 and you can come up here and get it!

Or, ya know, just buy a GT in the States.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looking at a '99 GT, 133,xxx miles. Going to check out the car tonight, but it looks to be in good shape and the guy says it has no problems. He's asking $5500 obo, blue book is ~$4700. What should I look out for? Would it be reasonable to offer him $4500 and hope to settle under $5000?

Edit: this is in Los Angeles if it matters.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Looking at a '99 GT, 133,xxx miles. Going to check out the car tonight, but it looks to be in good shape and the guy says it has no problems. He's asking $5500 obo, blue book is ~$4700. What should I look out for? Would it be reasonable to offer him $4500 and hope to settle under $5000?

Edit: this is in Los Angeles if it matters.

Unless the car is absolutely mint(it's not), it's almost always worth less than KBB. Judging by the miles the car was daily driven. This isn't some garage queen grandma didn't touch after grandpa died 5 years ago its a generic GT and you can find them anywhere.

I'd offer 3500-4000 max and walk away if he makes any push back. People form attachments to cars and become irrational. That car is going to fetch no more than 2k as a trade in.