Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TPNMVZ posted:

Is there an easy way to port my number to Google Voice for full integration under Verizon? I've heard of a twenty dollar fee to keep my number and such but I'm wondering if it will affect my contract in general. I am on a family plan with unlimited data so I would like to maintain those as they are right now.

I only did it when my contract with another carrier was over with that I ported my number to GV. I'd give customer support a call, porting a number out of their system usually means you're canceling your contract and subject to ETF. I'm fairly sure you can change out the number, but keeping your old one could be an issue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

I got these three text messages last night at like 11:30 PM, all three in rapid succession.

What the hell is this, and did I just get a $10 charge slammed onto my bill? I replied with "STOP" but now I'm worried that was some kind of acknowledgement and made it even more likely that they'd charge me.

Can *611 or someone in a store tell me anything more about whether a charge will come my way, or do I need to wait until my bill cycle?

Oh boy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/your-money/beware-of-cramming-on-your-cellphone-bill-the-haggler.html?_r=3&ref=technology

Meanwhile I went to a Verizon shop to talk to someone about it, and they couldn't tell me anything since they can't seem to see charges until they show up on a bill. My bill cycle isn't until April 20 so I get to wait a while to find out.

They did put a "premium message block" on my line but who knows if that'll stop these guys from charging me first.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Since I use Google Voice for text and etc I called in and had them turn off SMS entirely, which has worked out very well.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I just got an email promo from VZW for a free Droid Charge. If you are looking, you might want to check your inbox.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

kensei posted:

I just got an email promo from VZW for a free Droid Charge. If you are looking, you might want to check your inbox.
I got that email and I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S on my account. Confused as why they'd think I wanted a Charge on a new line.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Charge is free to anyone right now on a 2yr contract. They must be trying to clear inventory.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The Charge is free to anyone right now on a 2yr contract. They must be trying to clear inventory.

Also of note is they dropped the "Droid" branding from it. Now it's just the "Charge."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Also of note is they dropped the "Droid" branding from it. Now it's just the "Charge."

Not on the page for the phone

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5642

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

waffle iron posted:

I got that email and I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S on my account. Confused as why they'd think I wanted a Charge on a new line.

Me too, except my wife only has the 1Phone 4. Grandfathered unlimited data rules tho!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I got the "4G LTE Charge" e-mail. I was interested for a minute (since i'm eligible for a new phone), but even though it was free, I'm still not interested in getting a Samsung phone, let alone one that came out almost a whole year ago. I'm still using my Incredible.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2012

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Anyone else in chicago experiencing a total outage of data and voice? Tried the usual tricks but the Bionic is just like... nope not gonna connect to anything but Wifi.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Has anyone ever used Verizon's Global Phone Rental program? Sounds like the Droid 4 won't be unlocked for global roaming anytime soon, and I'm researching alternatives. The CS reps make it sound like it's a simple as getting a phone delivered to your address, reprogramming it to your phone number, and then going.

Does it work that easily?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know but drat their limitations on unlocking 4g LTE phones (which can handle a sim card). i was given a gigantic runaround in trying to get them to acknowledge that this is something they'll eventually be rolling out anyway.

From everything I see, i guess if you're not using a blackberry you're completely screwed out of gigantic quantities of money if you travel international. It sounds like XDA is already researching how to make the sim cards work and maybe I'll custom rom and test when I travel.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 29, 2012

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I'm OK with Verizon's pre-paid roaming data options in some cases: Like a short-term trip to France, where your local pre-paid option is worse than Verizon. However for most cases it's still complete horse-poo poo. (Voice is another argument entirely.)

The front-line CSR reps still really have no idea what's going on even with regard to their own product offerings, but every year it's a different struggle.

I guess I'm renting a Blackberry Tour for travel this summer! Not my ideal option, but it'll work; I'm just hoping it's a relatively painless experience.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the best dumbphone with a QWERTY keyboard right now on Verizon?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the best dumbphone with a QWERTY keyboard right now on Verizon?

LG Octane if you can still find one, as its disco'ed.

Samsung Brightside seems ok, ZTE Adamant which is a rip-off of the BB Curve, but a dumbphone, is doing well with cusstomers, but only available at some agents, and not corporate.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
How often does Verizon have buy one get one type deals or similarly good promotions on good smart phones?

My wife and I are both up for new phones, I see the LG Spectrum is buy one get one right now but the reviews I read on pretty much LG devices in general aren't exactly encouraging.

We want something 4G and we don't want Apple (I want a Windows Phone, but meh Verizon). If we wait long enough will we likely be able to grab a good phone with a similar deal? (We are upgrading from Droids)

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Thrawn200 posted:

How often does Verizon have buy one get one type deals or similarly good promotions on good smart phones?

My wife and I are both up for new phones, I see the LG Spectrum is buy one get one right now but the reviews I read on pretty much LG devices in general aren't exactly encouraging.

We want something 4G and we don't want Apple (I want a Windows Phone, but meh Verizon). If we wait long enough will we likely be able to grab a good phone with a similar deal? (We are upgrading from Droids)

Avoid LG like the plague. I'd recommend the Droid Razr/Razr Max or Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Mark Larson posted:

Avoid LG like the plague. I'd recommend the Droid Razr/Razr Max or Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.
Sound choices, since it looks like all four of those will have ICS next week. Hopefully the Bionic isn't too far behind, since it's so similar to the RAZR.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is going on with the razr? No timeframe for ICS now BOOM in a couple weeks?

Anyone else getting a bunch of text message spam lately? I disabled text from Web or email, but still getting some. Any way to stop those charges(100 google voice)? I think blocking a number is pointless since it's. Never. The same

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Roundboy posted:

What is going on with the razr? No timeframe for ICS now BOOM in a couple weeks?

Eh? Wonder if this means the Droid 4 will get it soon too. Link?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh? Wonder if this means the Droid 4 will get it soon too. Link?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/30/razr-razr-maxx-and-htc-rezound-receiving-ice-cream-sandwich-updates-as-early-as-next-week/

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/30/motorola-sends-invites-to-droid-razr-owners-to-preview-a-new-software-release/

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/31/ice-cream-sandwich-build-6-14-75-leaks-for-the-droid-razr/

So, we'll see. This pretty much goes with my earlier assumption that the reason why Motorola wasn't more specific on their Verizon handsets was the fact that Verizon was dictating the schedule.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This reminded me to check if 4.0.4 is out yet. Some website says it's already being rolled out but I checked for updates and no luck.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Mark Larson posted:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5723 :allears:

Never owned an HTC phone before, but seems likely that is going to change this week.

*Edit* Two Rezounds for a grand total of.... $20.00, I can live with that. (and contract renewal, but I've been with them for like 8 years anyways) Ooo, and the Rezound even has a much larger battery available if that becomes an issue. The small battery was the biggest concert I had comparing those phones.

Thrawn200 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 2, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Mark Larson posted:

LG cannot seem to make a good smartphone to save their life. Which is strange because their basic phones are generally quite nice.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Well hopefully the Droid 4 ICS update isn't far behind! drat do I want that global roaming unlocked, too.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

SpacedOut posted:

LG cannot seem to make a good smartphone to save their life. Which is strange because their basic phones are generally quite nice.

I'm using a Spectrum right now, and its a really nice device with a beautiful screen, and a dual core 1.5 GHZ CPU and a 1800 mAh battery.

BUT out of the box its absolutely ruined by LG's software and Verizon's bloatware.

Once rooted, and the crapware and LG Home frozen and gingerbread launcher installed, it's a great phone. It's 100% Unaceptable to be selling a phone like this, but if are planing on tinkering around under the hood, don't overlook the Spectrum. Hopefully it will get a CM9 port, or the official ICS upgrade fixes its various issues...

If you are getting one for the wife or parents, however, stay well away.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Mighty Horse posted:

I'm using a Spectrum right now, and its a really nice device with a beautiful screen, and a dual core 1.5 GHZ CPU and a 1800 mAh battery.

BUT out of the box its absolutely ruined by LG's software and Verizon's bloatware.

Once rooted, and the crapware and LG Home frozen and gingerbread launcher installed, it's a great phone. It's 100% Unaceptable to be selling a phone like this, but if are planing on tinkering around under the hood, don't overlook the Spectrum. Hopefully it will get a CM9 port, or the official ICS upgrade fixes its various issues...

If you are getting one for the wife or parents, however, stay well away.

Thanks for the trip report. You are a braver man than most. I wouldn't commit to an LG smartphone unless it was hella cheap on craigslist and I knew that it was rootfixable. There's one on cl right now for $375, actually. Not bad.

I think LG's path to redemption has to come from embracing the open source/xda community with leaks of rom images, drivers, toolkits and what have you. With such terrible stock software, they should be as open as a sieve that's been shot with a 12ga.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not THAT brave. I work for a Verizon agent and can grab pretty much anything I want from inventory and send it back when I am done with it.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

This might not be the right thread to ask this, but since this is where the phones we just ordered were recommended to me (HTC Rezounds) it seems as good a place as any.

Is getting cases AND screen protectors pretty standard still or should we be fine without? (We do have the total equipment coverage) I'm pretty easy on my phone, but my wife owns a bakery so hers tends to get dirty, especially with flour. However with a case all the flour does is work into the cracks of the case anyways and stick in.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Jake Gittes posted:

Well hopefully the Droid 4 ICS update isn't far behind! drat do I want that global roaming unlocked, too.

Is the roaming thing going to be a part of it? Or is that "whenever verizon feels like it"?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Thrawn200 posted:

Is getting cases AND screen protectors pretty standard still or should we be fine without? (We do have the total equipment coverage) I'm pretty easy on my phone, but my wife owns a bakery so hers tends to get dirty, especially with flour. However with a case all the flour does is work into the cracks of the case anyways and stick in.

It really depends on your usage scenario. HTC and Motorola's glass seems to be more scratch-resistant, and I go without either case or screen protector. I also have TEC, but I'm not gonna use a $100 deductible for my Thunderbolt.

You could get a skin that covers both front and back for your wife, and then add a case whenever necessary. Women's phones seem to get banged around more, because they're usually in a purse with keys, nail files and other detritus.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thrawn200 posted:

Is getting cases AND screen protectors pretty standard still or should we be fine without?
It's user preference. Personally I hate screen protectors, so I'm willing to eat the risk of a few scratches, which are rare for me anyways, in order to go bareback. But plenty of folks do use screen protectors and it's good policy to avoid potential damage. Same deal with cases. I do recommend some kind of protection. If you're not into cases or skins, I keep my phone in a pouch when not in use.

Mark Larson posted:

Women's phones seem to get banged around more, because they're usually in a purse with keys, nail files and other detritus.
Between this, and the fact that she drops it somewhat frequently, my wife's phone is quite scratched and really beat up. She doesn't seem to mind so much, so that's good, but if I knew how bad it was going to get I definitely would've told her to go the case and screen protector route (which we've done before, and I thought no longer necessary).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Between this, and the fact that she drops it somewhat frequently, my wife's phone is quite scratched and really beat up. She doesn't seem to mind so much, so that's good, but if I knew how bad it was going to get I definitely would've told her to go the case and screen protector route (which we've done before, and I thought no longer necessary).

Its not just cosmetics and usability (scratched-up screens being harder to read) but even warranty service can be affected because VZW/HTC can easily claim that it is unusual wear-and-tear if the phone is scratched up more than usual.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is the roaming thing going to be a part of it? Or is that "whenever verizon feels like it"?

Not likely. It's not so much when "feels like it" and more like "figures out how to make it work correctly and not have the network freak out"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Is there a non-$2.99/month option for App-based Voicemail rather than Phonecall-based Voicemail?

Other than Google Voice

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's wrong with google voice?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Cojawfee posted:

What's wrong with google voice?

it works like poo poo on anything aside from sprint?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

how does it work like poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

it works like poo poo on anything aside from sprint?

Even if this were true of the call forwarding and texting features that are only marginally improved by Sprint integration,* you know that voicemail works fine and identically on any carrier, right? You can even sign up for the voicemail service without signing up for any of the rest of Google Voice.

* it's not, these also work fine on other carriers with MMS and lack of free mobile-to-mobile minutes being the only issues

• Locked thread