Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FF4 ds absolutely requires some grinding (or playing with a guide) but I don't think SNES / gba/ psp really do. The encounter rate is high enough you are going to be sufficiently 'grinding' getting through the dungeons.

I'm about halfway through complete and it's definitely my fav version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Looking for an RPG I can play on my 3ds. Beaten chrono trigger a few times already, loved it to death. I can put up with a middling amount of jrpg anime tropes, but I'm concerned something like Persona might be too much.

I loved Chrono Trigger, FF6, Mario RPG and FFTactics, and I hated FF7/8 and Tactics Advance. Played the first mario & luigi, thought it was alright, but I was sad it wasn't more like Mario RPG. Earthbound was cool but I could never get myself to finish it.

I've done 2 pokemon games (blue and ruby) - not sure if I need to play any more, but I might be convinced. I'm the type of person who occasionally plays roguelikes but never seems to be satisfied with them. I'm also a sucker for cute spritework, which may be why I don't seem to respond well to games without combat sprites for your characters (like earthbound, for instance)

Any suggestions? I dont know much about dragon quest or the persona series, and I'm wary of the FF remakes (pretty lukewarm on the bits of ff4 and 5 i played on an emulator).

Oh, and I can't stand nomura. I've heard so many good things about TWEWY but his character designs make me want to cut my eyes out.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 27, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you enjoy pokemon and you didn't play silver/gold you're doing yourself a huge disservice, the second generation are by far the best in every respect except dungeon design, where they're a close second to the first generation.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah, you definitely owe it to yourself to pick up Heart Gold or Soul Silver for the DS, second gen was amazing. Still waiting for the next Pokemon game that's ambitious enough to include two whole regions.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, I thought ruby was the second gen... Maybe I'm confused. My starters were squirtle and mudkip.

Oh, and piplup!

Apparently I completely forgot that I played through pearl.

Is silver/gold still worth playing if I went through pearl?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

I'm the type of person who occasionally plays roguelikes but never seems to be satisfied with them.

Play DoomRL. If you can't get into that, forget the genre exists.

As for playable on 3DS games go: I tended towards action rpgs and metroidvanias on it more than traditional rpgs. The World Ends With You is excellent, if really experimental. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is basically an old school CRPG with demons and things. The Etrian Odyssey games are more of that, pretty much Wizardry with the serial numbers filed off.

Avoid the Lunar game: it was pretty bad.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Forgot to mention that Radiant Historia is one of the best RPGs available in English on the DS and it just got a reprint.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pw pw pw posted:

Is silver/gold still worth playing if I went through pearl?
Yes, G/S both have pretty involved game worlds. The remakes have some nice, chillax music to boot.

I'll suggest Radiant Historia since you mentioned rich spritework. Unfortunately it has Xenogears Syndrome and those sprites get pretty pixelated at times. Maybe also check out pretty much anything Squaresoft did in the 90s if you haven't already, they made a bunch of innovative and experimental RPGs on the SNES that never made it to the US for a variety of reasons (too dark, too intrinsically sexually suggestive, too hard to localize, too much gray area over terrorists, etc.).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
From a few pages back:

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's a thing?!

Oh.. it is...

IT'S ONLY £20?!

This is great if only for the fact that I can throw real money at the game and make sure NB sees one more sale of the series. Some people pooh-poohed the games, I know, but Vesperia kept me interested, at least (likely due to what is a fairly unconventional cast for a JRPG).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even know that FFIV PSP came with yet another extra scenario (Interlude). Can any expound on what that was like? Might be time to buy FFIV yet again...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't even know that FFIV PSP came with yet another extra scenario (Interlude). Can any expound on what that was like? Might be time to buy FFIV yet again...

It's like an hour long and utterly pointless.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Mainly, the fact that every time you had a new area unlocked you had to grind the old areas mobs for at least a half hour to continue.

That is so hilariously wrong. When you reach a new area, you should fight the new monsters because they give much more exp/gold than the old ones, you would never grind an old area in a DQ game. You have to get out of the mindset of modern games where there is never any challenge unless you accidentally wander into the wrong area. In a game like DQ it's supposed to be challenging when you reach a new area, that doesn't mean you should run back to the old one and grind long enough to trivialize it, it just means you should fight the new monsters a little more conservatively and strategically rather than just pounding the attack button.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cool, thanks guys. Radiant historia looks enough like chromo trigger to rope me in. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

low-key-taco posted:

FF4 ds absolutely requires some grinding (or playing with a guide) but I don't think SNES / gba/ psp really do. The encounter rate is high enough you are going to be sufficiently 'grinding' getting through the dungeons.

I'm about halfway through complete and it's definitely my fav version.

I didn't grind nor did I use a guide. Seriously, status effects are really really powerful in FF4DS. If anyone is having trouble just use them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't grind nor did I use a guide. Seriously, status effects are really really powerful in FF4DS. If anyone is having trouble just use them.

What about when they don't work because the White Magic status ailments use Intellect for accuracy?

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do

Adam Bowen posted:

That is so hilariously wrong. When you reach a new area, you should fight the new monsters because they give much more exp/gold than the old ones, you would never grind an old area in a DQ game. You have to get out of the mindset of modern games where there is never any challenge unless you accidentally wander into the wrong area. In a game like DQ it's supposed to be challenging when you reach a new area, that doesn't mean you should run back to the old one and grind long enough to trivialize it, it just means you should fight the new monsters a little more conservatively and strategically rather than just pounding the attack button.

I am not going to argue with you past this point, but you are deluding yourself if you think using "woosh" versus an enemy versus just autoattacking is truly strategic gameplay. I was not grinding to make the game trivial, I was grinding to make advancement possible. At my level (10) there was no strategy, period.

The above poster may be right that the only "grinding" I had to do was in the beginning, but it's too late now. I had no indications after 5 hours of play that this would change, so I just sold it.

I think I will just stick to action RPG's until I get a DQ game for cheap, and I will reserve judgement for then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

What about when they don't work because the White Magic status ailments use Intellect for accuracy?

That never ended up being a particular issue, so I'm not sure of your question. The primary difficulty with landing status effects is finding out which enemies are vulnerable to them, but even then you just have to find the enemies who are difficult enough that you can't just walk over them anyway so it isn't particularly tough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Last Celebration posted:

Well if you didn't wanna screw yourself, why didn't you buy the Official Strategy Guide for $29.99 to learn about Augments, son? :smug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The most important status spells used against enemies were Slow and Berserk, which always hit IIRC. I think it's things like Hold, Stop, and Silence which may or may not hit all the time, though there are certainly enemies you want to use them because they are more susceptible to it for whatever reason.

Everything else would be buffs cast against your own party like Shell, Haste, and Blink, which for obvious reasons will always hit.

Accuracy shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
No matter what Dragon Quest game you play, it's always important to note that you have a bank (Well, not in the first one), and your penalty for death is losing half your gold. Basically you're supposed to throw yourself at a dungeon and fail a few times until you get stronger (Which will happen quickly). The game doesn't give you a game over because it wants you to die against the tougher enemies, then go back in with the newly gained experience. In other words, if you're dying against enemies in the newest area, that's exactly what you're expected to do to advance. If you can barely finish one battle in the area, you'll still be fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And if you're playing 7, take every character through paladin first thing and coast through half the game with one of the best free attack all skills. Pick up sword dance while you're at it and there really isn't much that can stand in your way.

I almost want to replay that for the umpteenth time. It's not too bad if you run it at ludicrous speed in an emulator.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That never ended up being a particular issue, so I'm not sure of your question. The primary difficulty with landing status effects is finding out which enemies are vulnerable to them, but even then you just have to find the enemies who are difficult enough that you can't just walk over them anyway so it isn't particularly tough.

I remember never getting above 60% hit rate for the white magic status ailments. I actually used status ailments pretty often in the original, which made the DS version pretty funny when it was harder to use them and you needed them a lot more than before.

Nate RFB posted:

The most important status spells used against enemies were Slow and Berserk, which always hit IIRC. I think it's things like Hold, Stop, and Silence which may or may not hit all the time, though there are certainly enemies you want to use them because they are more susceptible to it for whatever reason.

Everything else would be buffs cast against your own party like Shell, Haste, and Blink, which for obvious reasons will always hit.

Accuracy shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

I don't remember that many normal enemies where Slow was helpful. It's a godsend for bosses, but normal enemies are too numerous and defensively weak for Slow to really help. I didn't actually start the final dungeon when I quit, and there were a lot of nasty single normal enemies there though even in the original, so it and Berserk could be good there I guess.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Well if you didn't wanna screw yourself, why didn't you buy the Official Strategy Guide for $29.99 to learn about Augments, son? :smug:

This. I used no guide and therefore assumed I shouldn't give augs to people who were going to leave. By the time I got to the underground I didn't have any of the super useful augs and until I grinded I was getting destroyed before I even had time to get up the defensive spells on my party or start using status spells against enemies. Without grinding I also didn't have the money to supplement my mages with the items that do status effects.

I mean without cast x2 you aren't getting up all the haste berserk slow etc spells everyone uses for a long time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Omnicast and Dualcast definitely a godsend for Haste and Blink, but Slow and Shell (extraordinarily useful spells) are multi-target out of the gate and I'm pretty sure they stack as well. It's not a full substitution for the *cast augments but they can still help a lot.

Draw Attacks (which, again, you get automatically) on Cecil can also mean you only need to Blink one party member at a time in some cases.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wendell posted:

It's like an hour long and utterly pointless.
From the LP, I remember it making After Years make a little bit less sense, too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CheerGrrl92 posted:

So following recommendations from this thread, I picked up DQ5. I ended up taking it back three days later though..

The story, characters, and design were all AWESOME. There were a couple things that made the game just not fun to me though. Mainly, the fact that every time you had a new area unlocked you had to grind the old areas mobs for at least a half hour to continue.

If the xp was doubled, I would have kept the game.. I DO NOT mind grinding your way through a dungeon, as long as you are exploring or going somewhere. I just don't like hovering around one area.

With that said, is FF4 and FF6 going to be the same way? Are all the other DQ's the same way too? I remember someone saying DQ5 and earlier were the ones that were grindy..

No, FF4 and FF6 are not like that because DQ5 is not like either. You should have came here and asked if you didn't understand how to play it. There's definitely nothing about DQ5 that could be considered grindy. At no point in any of my playthroughs of DQ5 did I ever hover around one area. If anything, it's too easy. I was running from a lot of fights just to make the challenge go up.

Grinding the old areas.. wow, if you wanted to grind, that's the worst way to do it. If you do intend on grinding, you grind only the newest area.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there any real disadvantage to playing DQ5 after DQ6? I bought both, but 5 turned out to be a dodgy (pirate?) version that won't work on my DSi XL, so I have to wait until I get my hands on a DS lite...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there any real disadvantage to playing DQ5 after DQ6? I bought both, but 5 turned out to be a dodgy (pirate?) version that won't work on my DSi XL, so I have to wait until I get my hands on a DS lite...

No, in fact I think V is a bit superior to VI. You'll be fine playing it that way.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Levantine posted:

No, in fact I think V is a bit superior to VI. You'll be fine playing it that way.
So, there's no continuing story or anything else..?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

So, there's no continuing story or anything else..?

4, 5, and 6 all make very, very minor allusions to each other. It's not worth worrying over.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I went on an Atlus game trawl recently, and ended up with some unfamiliar stuff.

Kartia: The Word of Fate is an SRPG with two inter-related storylines, but the combat seems to basically be Rock-Paper-Scissors, which I just can't put up with for the duration of a full storyline, let alone two. Bit of a shame, since there's nice spritework and (possibly) some good mechanics hidden in the RPS simplicity.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, on the other hand, seems like a smoother, less grind-intensive version of FFT, although the storyline seems like another 'kingdoms at war!' rehash, which I have a difficult time caring about unless there's some interesting characters to empathize with, and at about 4 hours into it, there aren't. Can anyone say whether this is worth pushing through an interminable amount of set-up levels for?

Third (and so far the most enjoyable) is Metal Saga, a game which I had heard absolutely nothing about before I went through Atlus' catalog. It's a shame, since it feels almost like a JRPG version of Fallout; you can find tanks, drive them around the world map (and customize them with different upgrades and paint jobs), play through only the quests that interest you, collect bounties for defeating big enemies, recruit dogs with guns to fight at your side by giving them dogfood, and on and on (and I've only uncovered about a quarter of the map so far).

And then there's Dual Hearts, which, from a couple screenshots on the back, looks like a PS2 update of Threads of Fate. Since I got about all the block-pushing in an RPG I could ever want from Threads of Fate, I haven't booted it up yet. Am I totally off in my assessment?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Darthemed posted:

I went on an Atlus game trawl recently, and ended up with some unfamiliar stuff.

Kartia: The Word of Fate is an SRPG with two inter-related storylines, but the combat seems to basically be Rock-Paper-Scissors, which I just can't put up with for the duration of a full storyline, let alone two. Bit of a shame, since there's nice spritework and (possibly) some good mechanics hidden in the RPS simplicity.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, on the other hand, seems like a smoother, less grind-intensive version of FFT, although the storyline seems like another 'kingdoms at war!' rehash, which I have a difficult time caring about unless there's some interesting characters to empathize with, and at about 4 hours into it, there aren't. Can anyone say whether this is worth pushing through an interminable amount of set-up levels for?

Third (and so far the most enjoyable) is Metal Saga, a game which I had heard absolutely nothing about before I went through Atlus' catalog. It's a shame, since it feels almost like a JRPG version of Fallout; you can find tanks, drive them around the world map (and customize them with different upgrades and paint jobs), play through only the quests that interest you, collect bounties for defeating big enemies, recruit dogs with guns to fight at your side by giving them dogfood, and on and on (and I've only uncovered about a quarter of the map so far).

And then there's Dual Hearts, which, from a couple screenshots on the back, looks like a PS2 update of Threads of Fate. Since I got about all the block-pushing in an RPG I could ever want from Threads of Fate, I haven't booted it up yet. Am I totally off in my assessment?

Kartia and Metal Saga are both a lot of fun. However, Hoshigami struck me as the absolute grindiest SRPG ever of all time. Everything you do leaves you less powerful than your enemies and it always feels like a slog. Also characters can permanently die I think and the coins that grant resurrection magic are rare. Of all those games I think that's the one I like least.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Here's a nice quote from the Gaming Intelligence Agency's review of it, "Hardcore strategy fans with a lot of patience and a high tolerance for pain might be able to salvage a playable game, but Hoshigami's sadistic gameplay isn't likely to be many people's idea of a good time." I hope that helps you decide (to stop playing.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Darthemed posted:

The best thing about Metal Saga is that it's potentially the shortest RPG ever, even shorter than Nintendo RPGs. If you haven't already, make sure to start a new game real quick and choose the obviously incorrect option right at the start. You won't be disappointed.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Okay so I've been into RPGs for a while now and have been looking for more, I'd prefer ones for the PC but I'd be willing to try anything, I've played and enjoyed

Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger/Cross
anything Pokemon
both Diablo games
Deus Ex
obvious mainstream stuff like Oblivion/Skyrim
Dark Souls

I've tried playing Planescape: Torment and liked it but couldn't seem to finish it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just started Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it seems pretty cool and has a pretty passionate fanbase. Seems as good a PC RPG to try as anything. The RPG mechanics are extensive, similar to Elder Scrolls stuff in the sense that you have social attributes in addition to your combat attributes and a bunch of unique races/backgrounds to choose from, but much cooler than TES because you're a vampire.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Infinity Gaia posted:

The best thing about Metal Saga is that it's potentially the shortest RPG ever, even shorter than Nintendo RPGs. If you haven't already, make sure to start a new game real quick and choose the obviously incorrect option right at the start. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, being able to finish the game in roughly five minutes was probably the clincher in making me like the game on its own merits. It really feels like tank HP is the most important limiter in deciding where you can go in Metal Saga, and apart from that, the designers really just wanted to make a world people could go out in and screw around with however they liked.

I also forgot to mention Growlanser Generations (which is just two Growlanser games, The Sense of Justice and The Dual Darkness, repackaged together), since it was put out by an Atlus sub-label. Really, really enjoying it so far, since skill advancement feels like Grandia, town interaction feels like FFTA, battle navigation feels (very lightly) like Operation Darkness, mission objectives have some nice variety, and there's the usual Atlus thing of 'hey these characters aren't totally flat and boring'. The MYSTERIOUS RUINS even made me think of Septerra Core, which, for all its faults, was one of the earliest RPGs I owned.

Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, which I've just held out on getting for way too long despite enjoying the Persona series. Really like the skill advancement system, but I can't shake the feeling that the game is just too familiar, despite all the PLOT TWISTS. Still, can't forgive whoever decided to spoil the ending of SMT:DDS 1 in the very first sentence of SMT:DDS 2's back-cover summary blurb. :cmon:

e:

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Okay so I've been into RPGs for a while now and have been looking for more, I'd prefer ones for the PC but I'd be willing to try anything
GOG has a decent selection of PC RPGs, and if you haven't tried Fallout 2 yet, you really owe it to yourself to do so. Gorky 17 is pretty enjoyable if you care more about story than gameplay or replay value.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 28, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Papercut posted:

I just started Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it seems pretty cool and has a pretty passionate fanbase. Seems as good a PC RPG to try as anything. The RPG mechanics are extensive, similar to Elder Scrolls stuff in the sense that you have social attributes in addition to your combat attributes and a bunch of unique races/backgrounds to choose from, but much cooler than TES because you're a vampire.

I just finished it for the first time myself, and it really is fantastic. It makes a really good first impression, then continues to build as you become familiar with certain areas and people in between your bouts of exploration.

They also do a great job with allowing dialog to reflect your affinity for certain alliances. You can accept a job from someone you don't like, tell them you don't trust them, then go tell your pals what you're doing. The end result will still be that same quest, but you feel a bit more agency over your character if not the things he or she is tasked with.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Okay so I've been into RPGs for a while now and have been looking for more, I'd prefer ones for the PC but I'd be willing to try anything, I've played and enjoyed

Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger/Cross
anything Pokemon
both Diablo games
Deus Ex
obvious mainstream stuff like Oblivion/Skyrim
Dark Souls

I've tried playing Planescape: Torment and liked it but couldn't seem to finish it.
If you liked Deus Ex, you'll probably like System Shock 2 a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Kartia and Metal Saga are both a lot of fun. However, Hoshigami struck me as the absolute grindiest SRPG ever of all time. Everything you do leaves you less powerful than your enemies and it always feels like a slog. Also characters can permanently die I think and the coins that grant resurrection magic are rare. Of all those games I think that's the one I like least.

The DS port of Hoshigami makes it a bit less painful but it's not what most people would call 'fun'.