Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Went out and traded disgaea for PKM soul silver today. I was really concerned for a minute, but the game gave me some shoes before too long. They didn't have any copies of radiant historia, which made me a little sad.

I did see a used Revenant Wings... Was that game any good? Would it be lost on me without having played through ffXII?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2, which I've just held out on getting for way too long despite enjoying the Persona series. Really like the skill advancement system, but I can't shake the feeling that the game is just too familiar, despite all the PLOT TWISTS. Still, can't forgive whoever decided to spoil the ending of SMT 1 in the very first sentence of SMT 2's back-cover summary blurb. :cmon:

:confused: Wait, what? I haven't played SMT1&2 in more than a decade so my memory may be a bit hazy, but I don't ever remember there being a skill advancement system. Plus the beginning of 2 was left nebulous enough that any of the three endings of 1 could potentially be the "real" ending. (though admittedly the Neutral ending is the most likely)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Genpei Turtle posted:

:confused: Wait, what? I haven't played SMT1&2 in more than a decade so my memory may be a bit hazy, but I don't ever remember there being a skill advancement system. Plus the beginning of 2 was left nebulous enough that any of the three endings of 1 could potentially be the "real" ending. (though admittedly the Neutral ending is the most likely)

I haven't gotten to SMT:DDS2 yet (hoping to actually beat SMT:DDS1 before starting it up) but I was referring to the Mantra Grid.
e: And here's the spoiler-blurb I mentioned (linked for spoilers, obviously): http://imgur.com/cdPcR
No matter how vague the ending or beginning might be, that's still a bit too much information.
And fixed title acronyms.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 28, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

The DS port of Hoshigami makes it a bit less painful but it's not what most people would call 'fun'.

I actually gave Hoshigami a second shot with the DS port and for the life of me I can't figure out how they "fixed" anything. It's just as dull and tedious and frustrating as the PSX version. Maybe they just reached such a critical mass of awfulness there's no improving on it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Darthemed posted:

No matter how vague the ending or beginning might be, that's still a bit too much information.

The game you're referring to is Digital Devil Saga, SMT1&2 were Super NES games.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

I did see a used Revenant Wings... Was that game any good? Would it be lost on me without having played through ffXII?

It's a very basic rock paper scissors RTS game with barely any relation to RPGs.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I've tried playing Planescape: Torment and liked it but couldn't seem to finish it.

The trick to enjoying PS:T is to realise that it's more of an adventure game with combat then a straight-up hack-and-slash RPG. To get the most you need a character with high intelligence and wisdom so you get the most out of dialogue and have better options about how you handle quests and encounters. My first playthrough was as an average-intelligence fighter, and I honestly didn't see what all the fuss was about. Then someone suggested that I re-roll with a mage-type, I did, and hot drat was there a stark difference.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

The game you're referring to is Digital Devil Saga, SMT1&2 were Super NES games.

OK, therein stems my confusion, I was thinking about the SNES games. (I never played DDS)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

I went on an Atlus game trawl recently, and ended up with some unfamiliar stuff.

Kartia: The Word of Fate is an SRPG with two inter-related storylines, but the combat seems to basically be Rock-Paper-Scissors, which I just can't put up with for the duration of a full storyline, let alone two. Bit of a shame, since there's nice spritework and (possibly) some good mechanics hidden in the RPS simplicity.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, on the other hand, seems like a smoother, less grind-intensive version of FFT, although the storyline seems like another 'kingdoms at war!' rehash, which I have a difficult time caring about unless there's some interesting characters to empathize with, and at about 4 hours into it, there aren't. Can anyone say whether this is worth pushing through an interminable amount of set-up levels for?

Third (and so far the most enjoyable) is Metal Saga, a game which I had heard absolutely nothing about before I went through Atlus' catalog. It's a shame, since it feels almost like a JRPG version of Fallout; you can find tanks, drive them around the world map (and customize them with different upgrades and paint jobs), play through only the quests that interest you, collect bounties for defeating big enemies, recruit dogs with guns to fight at your side by giving them dogfood, and on and on (and I've only uncovered about a quarter of the map so far).

And then there's Dual Hearts, which, from a couple screenshots on the back, looks like a PS2 update of Threads of Fate. Since I got about all the block-pushing in an RPG I could ever want from Threads of Fate, I haven't booted it up yet. Am I totally off in my assessment?

I always wanted to play kartia but I could never find a legit copy.

If you need another obscure srpg to add to your list, Sayuki: journey west (spelling?) was another good one.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Persona psp games dropped in price on PSN so I guess I'm gonna give 3 a try. Odd that Persona 2 is $10 more than 3.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Hoshigami is probably the worst game I ever fell in love with, but it is just because the magic creating and combo-chain system finally clicked with me at some point and I just started wrecking everything.

Also the fact that I probably grinded for 15 hours at some point but those memories are vague and may or may not be imagined.

Kartia was legitmately good though, it was pretty engaging throughout despite the apparently shallow gameplay. I think it got slightly deeper later on, I can't fully remember, but I know my interest or enjoyment never waned with it

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

low-key-taco posted:

The Persona psp games dropped in price on PSN so I guess I'm gonna give 3 a try. Odd that Persona 2 is $10 more than 3.

It was more recently released, it's an alright game so far. Truth be told, if it wasn't a SMT game I probably wouldn't be playing it.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
It's not just the Persona games that got a discount. A number of Atlus games got dropped in price today:

Needless to say, I finally bought Class of Heroes now that it's a good price. $40 felt way too much considering how old the game is and I can play the PS3 PSN version of Wizardy for $15 -- which I must say CoH is startlingly similar to.

I'm seriously considering P3P but I've bought way too many games recently and I like the characters in P4 so much better, and P4G is just around the corner...

e: Oh and this just came to mind since I just posted there. For all you fans of first-person dungeon crawlers, Legend of Grimrock has gone gold and will be available for play on April 11 via Steam, GOG, or directly from the devs (from whom you get both a standalone and Steam copy). Hopefully it's as good as it looks.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 28, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

I actually gave Hoshigami a second shot with the DS port and for the life of me I can't figure out how they "fixed" anything. It's just as dull and tedious and frustrating as the PSX version. Maybe they just reached such a critical mass of awfulness there's no improving on it.

To be honest I think all they did was make getting the resurrection spell a lot quicker.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

pw pw pw posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip it. I'll cop to being a huge fan of just about anything Final Fantasy and I just could not get into this game for anything. If it played fore like a FFT game I'd be more lenient on it, but as it stands, it's not really worth your time or money.

Just my opinion.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

softcorps posted:

Needless to say, I finally bought Class of Heroes now that it's a good price. $40 felt way too much considering how old the game is and I can play the PS3 PSN version of Wizardy for $15 -- which I must say CoH is startlingly similar to.

loving a' I've been wanting to play that forever but just couldn't justify the price. As a huge Wizardry fan would you all recommend this, especially at the new price point?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Typhus733 posted:

loving a' I've been wanting to play that forever but just couldn't justify the price. As a huge Wizardry fan would you all recommend this, especially at the new price point?

I'd recommend just waiting for the improved sequel that's coming and playing Grimrock in the meantime.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So should I be pumped about that Unchained Blades game Xseed is localizing?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I was browsing through GamersGate today, and Neverwinter Nights 2 for Mac is on sale for $0.99. Pretty nice! Since I had 1000 blue coins ($1) that were about to expire, I picked it up to give as a gift. Any Mac goons with a Gamersgate account interested in me sending you a free copy?

The link is here:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NWN2M/neverwinter-nights-2-mac

and the sale expires in 7.5 hours.
(I also posted this to the Neverwinter Nights thread)

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

pw pw pw posted:

I'm gonna give a different take on this and say that I loved it, and I'm someone who loves RPGs but is barely a fan of RTS games. I think part of why it clicked with me is because it's got just enough of an RPG veneer to make me happy and is pretty much Babby's First RTS. It's a fun little timewaster, with some occasional moments of depth if you wanna get a little :spergin:.

That being said, it would be a lot more fun for you if you had played FFXII. You don't really need to have played FFXII to play the game (it's a self-contained storyline) but the game assumes you did and 'develops' the characters accordingly.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just received a Steam code for Ys, for review purposes.

As my very first Ys experience, is there any advice or early game tips I should follow to avoid running into a difficulty wall early on? Or can I just play this like a standard RPG and be fine?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For Oath? Don't feel like you need to save materials to upgrade future weapons, upgrade things as soon as possible at least 1 or 2 levels. Even single point stats help out a ton. A single level can also really help a ton on bosses too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Primoman posted:

As my very first Ys experience, is there any advice or early game tips I should follow to avoid running into a difficulty wall early on? Or can I just play this like a standard RPG and be fine?
You're probably going to hit a difficulty wall whether you like it or not, as Oath is a pretty difficult game. Just expect to die a lot on bosses to learn their patterns. You may find that a single level up will make or break some fights, and you'll go from barely scratching an enemy to dealing a lot of damage.

One of the early boss fights is impossible unless you upgrade your fire magic, which can be found somewhere in the dungeon itself.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks. I'm the type who typically hoards materials for better quality weapons down the road, instead of what's immediately available.

Steam version is stated to not have any of the voice acting from the PSP version, but based on reports, this is one dub I wouldn't miss.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

Primoman posted:

Thanks. I'm the type who typically hoards materials for better quality weapons down the road, instead of what's immediately available.

Steam version is stated to not have any of the voice acting from the PSP version, but based on reports, this is one dub I wouldn't miss.

The voices are only in the cutscenes and a few sound effects; they aren't really cringe-worthy or anything, but yeah you're not missing anything for not having them. What I would miss is the extra music options, which I believe are also not in the steam version. Never played the original game myself, but being able to hear the music in "Sounds like a Sega Genesis #1" and "Sounds like a Genesis #2" was really fascinating to me. Speaking of which, does the Ys I and II chronicles PSP version have that option?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I'm looking for a Tactical RPG for the DS. I've already played through the FFT Advance games and Covenant of the Plume and I'm looking for something else to get my fix. Any recommendations goons?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be

I loved FFT, enough to play it and finish it on PSP with the slowdown problems and iPhone with the wonky controls.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Aberrant posted:

I'm looking for a Tactical RPG for the DS. I've already played through the FFT Advance games and Covenant of the Plume and I'm looking for something else to get my fix. Any recommendations goons?

Off the top of my head, there are the Devil Survivor games, which are a lot of fun but can be really difficult (not always in an entirely fair way too.) Beyond that, I can't think of that many. There's Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, but that's the worse game in the series, and Luminous Arc 1 and 2, which I've never played but are apparently generic but decent enough. If you don't mind going back to the GBA, I'd recommend the GBA Fire Emblems, as well as Super Robot Wars OG 1 and 2. There may be more GBA titles that are escaping my memory, I'll edit this if any occur to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be

I loved FFT, enough to play it and finish it on PSP with the slowdown problems and iPhone with the wonky controls.

Archers are actually really good, unlike in Final Fantasy Tactics. Also, the Oberyth items (I think that's what they're called), are vendor trash and can be sold freely. Crafting is incredibly tedious, and you can probably get by without it. I can't think of anything that should really pose much of a problem, especially since you're familiar with FFT. Oh, and Let us Cling Together is amazing, so have fun.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 29, 2012

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

The Aberrant posted:

You could always try Rondo of Swords. It's an interesting take on that sort of game.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: ^^ Thanks guys, I'll take a look at some of those.

I'm gettin' pretty jealous over here, if I can find a psp cheap I'll buy it in a second myself despite having beat the PS1 version.

Make 2 saves after you free the Baron/Duke or whatever at the start, when he sends you to the mines the choice you make there changes the game significantly.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
e:fb drat, you guys are fast.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Aberrant posted:

Edit: ^^ Thanks guys, I'll take a look at some of those.

I'm gettin' pretty jealous over here, if I can find a psp cheap I'll buy it in a second myself despite having beat the PS1 version.

Make 2 saves after you free the Baron/Duke or whatever at the start, when he sends you to the mines the choice you make there changes the game significantly.

Doesn't the PSP version let you go back and visit other paths? I'm not sure but that's what I heard.

Cake Attack posted:

Archers are actually really good, unlike in Final Fantasy Tactics. Also, the Oberyth items (I think that's what they're called), are vendor trash and can be sold freely. Crafting is incredibly tedious, and you can probably get by without it. I can't think of anything that should really pose much of a problem, especially since you're familiar with FFT. Oh, and Let us Cling Together is amazing, so have fun.

Yeah anything that is optional and tedious I'll always skip. I guess I'll actually use archers! They were my least favorite FFT class

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Doesn't the PSP version let you go back and visit other paths? I'm not sure but that's what I heard.

Yeah anything that is optional and tedious I'll always skip. I guess I'll actually use archers! They were my least favorite FFT class

Yeah you don't need 2 saves anymore. Crafting is tedious but it can be save scummed (Recipes sometimes have a not-insignificant change to fail). I just made the component materials while mashing confirm on the PSP and reading the forums. It isn't necessary to do but it does change some iffy fights into ones that are more managable.

Read the Warren Report often for new news, as if you do not you may miss some sidequests or characters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The PSP version has the wheel of fortune system, that lets you go to important junctures in the game at your will (once you've beaten the game.) And yeah, use Archers. One more thing, unique characters are generally stronger than generic characters statwise, so I'd use them over generics.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm gonna give a different take on this and say that I loved it, and I'm someone who loves RPGs but is barely a fan of RTS games. I think part of why it clicked with me is because it's got just enough of an RPG veneer to make me happy and is pretty much Babby's First RTS. It's a fun little timewaster, with some occasional moments of depth if you wanna get a little :spergin:.

That being said, it would be a lot more fun for you if you had played FFXII. You don't really need to have played FFXII to play the game (it's a self-contained storyline) but the game assumes you did and 'develops' the characters accordingly.

Revenant wings was pretty much an RTS version of FFTA, in that you have an overworld, but everything in the game is battles and you can do crafting etc on an airship. It was a fun game for all of the few hours i played it before getting stuck, but it could have really done with a bit more depth

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah I am one of the biggest FF12 fans you'll find but I'll be damned if Revenant Wings wasn't a repetitive, dull mess of a game. It's Rock-Paper-Scissors in RTS form for 20+ hours. Around act 2 I just levelled everyone to 99 with an Action Replay and it was still a slog. The combat was that shallow and levels did not help speed it up - and some of the final challenges are still loving brutal despite this, because oh man what you have to go through to reach the end is nasty (hope you like battlefield-cleansing laser beams you have to stand directly in front of to target, and infinite enemies distracting you from tasks like that).

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm just now starting La Pucelle tactics after owning it for only 5 years or so... I was so pissed off to find out the US version has no New Game+ but the PAL version does... bastards!

Wish I had a ps3 so I could keep playing the Disgaea series... But I don't. It will soon be time for me to hunt and trap a new srpg to keep me fed over the summer. Still haven't played Tactics Ogre on PSP. The familiar feeling to ogre battle made me put it down within the first 15 minutes because I miss it so.

I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a good PC srpg.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Ah gotcha, didn't know that. Just be sure to keep unique members in your party, kill any guys with unique gear or spells before you end the battle, and keep up on the Warren Report. When you unlock the 100 level dungeon you can get some bitchin stuff down there. (For example, I put the special skill that does damage based on dex onto the named blind swordmaster and from then on he was an unholy terror)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Aberrant posted:

I never finished it, but Luminous Arc 2 was pretty drat good. My memories a little hazy on the matter, but I don't remember there being a lot of anime tropes in it (which I cannot stand). Give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
For anyone on the fence over ff13-2, play.com is selling it for 20 european coins. I couldn't pass up on these savings...