Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

Because Ace got carried.

As Meltzer put it: "When you are wrestling Kenta and Misawa... you're going to have a lot of good matches."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

KungFu Grip posted:

Sure are a lot of tag matches.
Yeah man, it's almost like All Japan ran 90% tag matches back then or something.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TQVBB832I

:what:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lots of random people toured All Japan in the '90s. Dreamer, Foley, RVD, Sabu, Smothers...

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Even Super Dragon had a few matches there although that was in the early 2000s and not 90s.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Weird request: I'm interested in seeing some of Jimmy Yang in Japan. Can anyone help me out?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

weekly font posted:

Weird request: I'm interested in seeing some of Jimmy Yang in Japan. Can anyone help me out?

I think he spent time in All Japan in the late 00s. Maybe as a part of RO'D?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

weekly font posted:

I'm hosting 4 matches he had in AJ.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Toryumon 6 man in AJPW from '02 that he took part in is all sorts of fun. Not super different from most Toryumon/DG spotfests, but everyone hits everything perfectly and the crowd completely eats it up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kota Ibushi returns to the ring May 4th. His first opponent back is El Generico.

OLE!

Joining Twitter now, is Kota Ibushi (@ibushi_kota) Harashima (@HARASHIMA_DDT) and KUDO (@KUDO_DDT)

Even on Twitter, Ibushi is a man of pretty much, no words.

This also happened:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 2, 2012

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Another week, another freebie from IVP videos. This one might appeal to a larger audience though

quote:

Best of Bryan Danielson in NOAH (2 Discs)

Bryan Danielson, Bison Smith & Eddie Edwards vs. KENTA & Ricky Marvin & Akitoshi Saito

Yoshinari Ogawa, Go Shiosaki & Ricky Marvin vs. Doug Williams, Bryan Danielson & Wade Chism

KENTA vs. Bryan Danielson

Ted DiBiase Jr. & Brian Danielson & Joe Legend vs. KENTA & Akitoshi Saito & Ippei Ota

Bryan Danielson & Ricky Marvin & Bison Smith vs. KENTA & Akitoshi Saito & Atsushi Aoki

Mohammed Yone & KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Bryan Danielson & Daniel Cross & Ted DiBiase Jr.

Bryan Danielson & Taiji Ishimori vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Aoki

Bryan Danielson & Davey Richards vs. Rocky Romero & Atsushi Aoki

Takeshi Morishima, Mohammed Yone & Go Shiosaki vs. Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson & Rocky Romero on Romero.

The site seems to be getting hammered today though, so you might want to wait until later in the week before trying to grab it

Product page: http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=8097
Download page: http://www.payloadz.com/d1/freeproducts.asp?id=1495663

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 3, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lot of good stuff on that one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2019

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Thauros posted:

Wow, I'm definitely checking that out as a Danielson fan who's hardly seen any puro.

I had no clue DiBiase Jr ever worked in Japan.
Yeah, I always :psyduck: when I think about him as the one guy from legacy that went to Japan, and not Cody.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Considering that Ted Sr wrestled more in Japan than Dusty and Dustin combined...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Considering that Ted Sr wrestled more in Japan than Dusty and Dustin combined...

And that Cody Rhodes didn't really want to be a wrestler growing up...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Puroresu Spirit posted:

The name for TAJIRI's new promotion is... "Wrestling New Classic".
As mentioned earlier today, the very first show will be held on 4/26 @ Shinjuku FACE and the second following up on 5/24 @ Korakuen Hall.
The talent to be working with TAJIRI as of the announcement are AKIRA, Hajime Ohara, Shuri, Kana, Makoto, Yusuke Kodama, Takashi Doi & Jiro Kuroshio.
Expect more info to be announced in the coming weeks leading up to the debut show.

Update: A couple matches have been announced for the show on 4/26.
~ TAJIRI vs. AKIRA (winner faces Dave Finlay on 5/24)
~ Kana & Mio Shirai vs. Shuri & Makoto

Looks like Tajiri is starting off almost exactly where he stopped! Dave Finaly was still champion when SMASH went out, I imagine this is why there's a match to fight him, because no one really wants to get into a fight with Dave Finaly for no reason.

e: Kana designed their logo

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 5, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess Tajiri's yazuka buddies came through for him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

I guess Tajiri's yazuka buddies came through for him.
The problem was just that his partner wanted to keep using really old guys to draw in fans, and Tajiri wanted to push his younger trainees as the focus. This isn't really counting Tajiri's friends like Ultimo Dragon or Finaly who can still go.

They were bringing in guys like Fujiwara who couldn't hardly move.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

The problem was just that his partner wanted to keep using really old guys to draw in fans, and Tajiri wanted to push his younger trainees as the focus. This isn't really counting Tajiri's friends like Ultimo Dragon or Finaly who can still go.

They were bringing in guys like Fujiwara who couldn't hardly move.

The problem was they were losing money. That was a philosophical divide, but in the end they were losing money. Beyond that, they could have been making bank and the people behind this new company would still be in with the yakuza.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

IVP's Download of the week is Brock Lesner's exploits in Japan!

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=8127?osCsid=6134399d089c747056797a1375c0d69a

Here comes the pain!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's one to avoid. He mailed it in over there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

That's one to avoid. He mailed it in over there.
I wasn't going to mention it, but "The Pain" is the pain of seeing Lesner's Japanese work which isn't very good at all.

I don't blame IVP for the compilation. Buy many things from him, but Brock Lesner's Puro stuff was pretty bad.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

How much longer until Fujita vs. Nakajima??? :negative:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

How much longer until Fujita vs. Nakajima??? :negative:
Purolove.com doesn't listed as a taping, nor is it on the Samurai schedule...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Puroresu Spirit posted:

‎[NJPW & AJP News] Big news this morning as a joint show between New Japan and All Japan has been announced to take place on July 1, 2012.
This year marks the 40th Anniversary for both promotions, and with this major point it was decided that the two promotions will be holding a commemorative show.
Both Presidents of their respected promotions appeared today in Japan to announce the date of the show and say a few words.
AJP's President Masayuki Uchida and NJPW's President Naoki Sugabayashi both look forward to working together and to hold a memorial show for the wrestling fans.
No matches have been announced as of yet, but they are looking to hold a few dream matches. There is a chance that a title could be defended on the show, as the poster for the show showcases the major belts, but nothing is for certain at this time.

Card Fight!! Vanguard PRESENTS New Japan Pro Wrestling & All Japan Pro Wrestling ~ 40th Anniversary Year ~ Summer Night Fever in Ryogoku "We are Pro-Wrestling Love!"
7/1/2012 [Sun] @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo]

What kind of dream matches would you like to see? Not a dream-match per-say because it's happened many times before, but I'd like to see AJPW's Jr Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega go against New Japan's last GHC Jr Heavyweight champion, Kota Ibushi.

To see them in a serious environment would be something :allears:

I honestly don't see many dream matches left between AJPW and NJPW though, their rosters are both running thin, and a lot of the guys interact all the time anyway. Would not be surprised to see some kind of merger/take-over of one or the other companies.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I really want to know why so many people talk about "mergers" in regards to puro. It has never happened, no matter how dire the circumstances. Especially now that AJ seems to be doing fine and NJ is stable.

In regards to AJ/NJ, there has actually been next to no interaction between the companies other than Mutoh over the last several years. All Japan has a lot of young talent: Suwama, Kondo, Hama, Kono, Sanada, the Soyas, Kai. Hardly any crossover experience among them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

I really want to know why so many people talk about "mergers" in regards to puro. It has never happened, no matter how dire the circumstances. Especially now that AJ seems to be doing fine and NJ is stable.

In regards to AJ/NJ, there has actually been next to no interaction between the companies other than Mutoh over the last several years. All Japan has a lot of young talent: Suwama, Kondo, Hama, Kono, Sanada, the Soyas, Kai. Hardly any crossover experience among them.
Hmm. I am horribly out of date with both companies. I guess I know both companies freelancers much better.

I guess it's true that most Japanese Puro companies are pretty stubborn, and would rather just go under than accept help from a former rival?

Also I was thinking that AJPW was having NOAH's problems for some reason. I need to catch up on more of the bigger companies in Japan, I've seen a match or two here and there but for the most part I watch DDT, Union (When it shows up) and other smaller companies.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

What's the story with Kensuke and New Japan?

Ditch posted:

Purolove.com doesn't listed as a taping, nor is it on the Samurai schedule...

Don't tell me that DON'T TELL ME THAT!!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wouldn't mind seeing more NOAH/AJ/NJ co-promoted shows as long as they kept the champion vs. champion poo poo to a minimum and focused harder on younger talents.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

What's the story with Kensuke and New Japan?
1. Sasaki leaves New Japan in late 2002 to join Choshu's World Japan promotion
2. WJ sucks and fails. Choshu owes Sasaki a bunch of money.
3. Sasaki leaves to rejoin New Japan on 1/4/04
4. Choshu closes WJ
5. In late 2004, NJ welcomes Choshu back. Sasaki, still pissed, leaves to work with All Japan and NOAH.

Or are you asking about something more recent?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

No that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ditch, do you know much about attending live puro matches in Japan? Do they usually sell out, or can you walk up and get tickets at the door or the day-of? Started looking through some of the feds' sites to see tour dates and it looks like there's a NJPW show soon I could go to (in Fukuoka during Golden Week; I teach English out in the boonies of Kyushu).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

Ditch, do you know much about attending live puro matches in Japan? Do they usually sell out, or can you walk up and get tickets at the door or the day-of? Started looking through some of the feds' sites to see tour dates and it looks like there's a NJPW show soon I could go to (in Fukuoka during Golden Week; I teach English out in the boonies of Kyushu).

You shouldn't have problems getting tickets, unless they run a "big match" in a small venue.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Yeah they rarely sell out. That said, the show on May 3rd is a big one, and they *claim* it sold out last year. So you might want to see about getting a seat in advance.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Does anyone know who the guy in the black and white stripes is? Not the strangely named Tigers Mask, but the one on the left.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I have no clue. Comparing the profiles and recent results on Purolove, there's no new masked gimmick in the company to fit that guy. And it's not an old version of a current gimmick.

I've asked my Osaka Pro guy.

edit: When was the picture taken?

Ditch fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 16, 2012

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Ditch posted:

I have no clue. Comparing the profiles and recent results on Purolove, there's no new masked gimmick in the company to fit that guy. And it's not an old version of a current gimmick.

I've asked my Osaka Pro guy.

edit: When was the picture taken?

I honestly don't know. It's on the back of an Ebessan DVD called "The God of Laughter" along with these other guys

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Densen Man!

http://www.puroresucentral.com/densenman.html

He is based off some old Toku stuff (Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, ect)

Thanks @osakabuffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Man, I even thought about going to purocentral... why did I doubt...