Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

At the time parents where outraged over a movie showing Santa Claus killing people and protested the movie (Even though it's not really Santa). The movie ended up being pulled from Cinemas after a week even though it was doing well (opened higher then A Nightmare On Elm Street).
You can read about it on it's WIKI page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night,_Deadly_Night

There is a documentary on slasher movies called Going To Pieces and it has news footage of people protesting, I looked around and couldn't find any of the footage online.
EDIT, Found it, NOT WORK SAFE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGxjXVJGfg

Oh wow, that's nuts! I hadn't heard about that before. I'll have to watch that video when I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The biggest part of the controversy had to do with the TV ads showing the killer in a Santa outfit, basically everything in the murder scenes up until the actual kill, and the fact that they aired during the day when kids could see them.

As for the movie itself... I thought I was watching an unrated cut when I first saw it a few years ago. It gets away with a lot of graphic violence, some of which is pretty brutal rather than 'ha ha, Jason skewered those two idiots having sex with a flagpole.' And yes, the second movie is a riot. 'Garbage day' isn't even the funniest thing in it. "Part II" was originally intended as a re-release of the first movie, just with some extra footage thrown in of the killer's brother narrating over everything. At some point in production, they decided to make it it's own separate movie, but with 45 minutes of the first.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 28, 2012

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh wow, that's nuts! I hadn't heard about that before. I'll have to watch that video when I get home from work.

one funny thing is Micky Rooney was one of those outraged by the movie and he said everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, then he went on to star in part 5.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Slasherfan posted:

There is a documentary on slasher movies called Going To Pieces and it has news footage of people protesting, I looked around and couldn't find any of the footage online.
EDIT, Found it, NOT WORK SAFE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGxjXVJGfg

This is really interesting.

I kinda went, 'Eh...' when that one guy was talking about the fact that critics always blast horror movies because

'Horror movies allow people to experience their humanity. Critics don't understand that. The slasher genre is the easiest genre to criticize.'

when I personally think it has less to do with critics experiencing their 'humanity' and more with yes, the vast majority of slasher movies are in fact (often disturbingly misogynistic) trash.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Tincans posted:

I too enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution

You're not kidding, that looks like a drat video game ad.

I want to be hopeful about the Total Recall remake but I can't see the guys who gave us Salt and Underworld making anything special. Even if it does have Cranston as Cohaagen and Nighy as Kuato.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

TheJoker138 posted:

Just to be absolutely clear: This movie has nothing at all to do with the Avengers or Nick Fury or SHIELD. It's trying to trick people.

Thank you, it was truly confusing me because there's still no date for the Nick Fury movie, and I just realized I'm a big nerd for knowing that.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Triumphant posted:

That kind of makes sense for a film where we're not sure what's real or virtual though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey you guys Steve Guttenberg totally looks like this now...

And not at all like this...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

kiimo posted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kiimo posted:

And not at all like this...

gently caress Steve Guttenberg
Party Down never forget

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 28, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bobkatt013 posted:

gently caress Steve Guttenberg

Never.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Run, Cadet Mahoney, run!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shannon Elizabeth doesn't look like that either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Shannon Elizabeth doesn't look like that either.

She has always been a sassy latina who constantly looks like she's in the middle of swallowing food, what are you talking about?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

kiimo posted:

Looks like they included a photo of Natalie Portman by mistake!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

Looks like they included a photo of Natalie Portman by mistake!

No man they photoshopped it so bad you can't even tell that's Danica Patrick.

I will say this, though. At least they managed to leave his eye wrinkles in and kept his eye colo-

Welp.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 28, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:psyduck: That's a disaster! Worst that a teen's Facebook photo. Hehehe, they even put some blush on his cheeks in the first poster.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I mis-read the names on that poster and thought 'They've photoshopped the hell out of Milla Jovovich'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tincans posted:

I too enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution

COLIN FARRELL DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!!!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Triumphant posted:

I want to be hopeful about the Total Recall remake but I can't see the guys who gave us Salt and Underworld making anything special. Even if it does have Cranston as Cohaagen and Nighy as Kuato.

To my knowledge, the remake doesn't even feature Mars, which would be like Titanic having no Titanic in it. I believe that Philip K. Dick's short story didn't feature Mars in it, either, but c'mon....what's Total Recall without "GETCHA AHHHS TO MAAHHHHS"?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Gonz posted:

To my knowledge, the remake doesn't even feature Mars, which would be like Titanic having no Titanic in it. I believe that Philip K. Dick's short story didn't feature Mars in it, either, but c'mon....what's Total Recall without "GETCHA AHHHS TO MAAHHHHS"?

The short story only covers the first 15 or so minutes of the film, up to the realization by the doctors that he has the suppressed memories. And it still mentions Mars and explicitly says that his memories were of being a secret agent on Mars.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
No mars? If that means no triple titty tart, then gentlemen I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

No mars? If that means no triple titty tart, then gentlemen I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

We're at the dawn of being about to go see triple titty ladies in 3D. Don't gently caress this up Total Recall.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

kiimo posted:

What is it with the new trend of placing the credits like that? I think the new Sherlock Holmes was one of the first I saw that did it and I kind of liked it, it fit the picture, but some of these are just unnecessary and stupid, like the one above.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I don't understand why everyone is so adamant that the Total Recall remake be identical to the Verhoeven film.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Professor Clumsy posted:

I don't understand why everyone is so adamant that the Total Recall remake be identical to the Verhoeven film.

I don't really think anyone's been complaining about that-- the only complaint I raised was the writers and directors haven't done too much to inspire hope, and other people brought up that if you're going to make Total Recall without Mars, why even bother.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't seen much beyond that Japanese trailer/commercial but I'm more interested in their take on futuristic cities right here on Earth than more Mars stuff. The levitating buildings are a cool idea.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As long as they don't take anything from the lovely Total Recall TV series, I'll be in line. Not first in line or anything, but somewhere in line.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I saw the trailer for the trailer (:psyduck:) for Total Recall and I really liked the look of it. I have no clue how good the movie will be, but the sets and costumes looked really nice. I can't think of many actors with less charisma than Colin Farrel though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SRM posted:

I saw the trailer for the trailer (:psyduck:) for Total Recall and I really liked the look of it. I have no clue how good the movie will be, but the sets and costumes looked really nice. I can't think of many actors with less charisma than Colin Farrel though.

You should watch In Bruges. It will make you like Colin Farrel.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AFewBricksShy posted:

You should watch In Bruges. It will make you like Colin Farrel.

I'll check it out! I'm not opposed to having my mind changed, I just can't recall the last thing I saw him in where I found him appealing or memorable. I've heard good things about In Bruges though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Horrible Bosses.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SRM posted:

I'll check it out! I'm not opposed to having my mind changed, I just can't recall the last thing I saw him in where I found him appealing or memorable. I've heard good things about In Bruges though.
I liked him in In Bruges, Horrible Bosses, and he was even OK in Fright Night. But, yes, In Bruges is great all around.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm just trying to think of movies I've seen him in and all I can think of are a bunch of early-mid 2000's movies like Alexander, SWAT, and Daredevil and they were all awful. I'll add In Bruges to my que!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I didn't hate him in The New World, even if he hated being in it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think he's pretty great in Fright Night actually, he plays up the sexual predator angle of that character quite a bit. So it's a shame the last 3rd of it basically has him playing the Boogeyman.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

DrVenkman posted:

I think he's pretty great in Fright Night actually, he plays up the sexual predator angle of that character quite a bit. So it's a shame the last 3rd of it basically has him playing the Boogeyman.

I had two old(ish) guys leave the theatre after Colin Farrell's character tells the police "You bet I made her scream :smug:". Were they offended? :confused:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrVenkman posted:

On the other hand, it's great fun watching Farrell attempt to go 90 minutes without swearing. Prior to seeing Fright Night I wouldn't have believed it possible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Colin Farrell is very good at packing it in when he knows he's working with a lovely script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Colin Farrell is good at pretending to be a country singer in Crazy Heart!