Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Wait...

quote:

"Furthermore," he continued, "we have a suicide hotline protocol which has, in specific cases, made a difference for several unfortunately troubled players.

This is a recurring issue? EVE: Griefed so bad it makes you suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Indecisive posted:

I don't really think so. The "suicidal" player in question didn't even remember what had happened and basically sees the event as a free 100 billion. Still, EVE tears are the best tears. I don't eve play the game, its more like a spectator griefing sport at this point.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Whats so bad about the Type 59?

The 59 is a premium tank that cost something like $35 in real money, and couldn't be bought with ingame money. The tanks are in "tiers" that go from 1 to 10, with 1 being the free newbie tanks and 10 being endgame. The 59 is a tier 8 medium. So basically, you could just buy your way into what pubbies considered an "endgame" tank.

Now, premium tanks in WoT are actually worse then the ones you can grind for normally. This was done by the devs so you couldn't just buy your way into something that would eat the poo poo out of the other team. They are designed to be cosmetic things that are in there for shits. However, to offset them from being complete trash, they have a heavily increased rate on the the ingame currency that they make for each match. They are mainly used to grind for credits.

Well, it got to the point where 20-25% of the tanks in every upper-tier game were 59s. Instead of nerfing it, the devs took it out of the store (this had the benefit of people buying it before it got taken away, so it actually put more out there). So now to pubbies it's an endgame supertank that they can't get, which makes them even more mad.

This, of course, all adds up to a very poor perception of 59 drivers by pubbies. Naturally, everyone that plays a 59 is someone that shoots real-money rounds out of their real-money tank, with a real-money crew in it. These cretins have zero skill, and the only reason they get kills is because they used Mommy and Daddy's credit card. They all have no lives, and are all definitely human being virgins.

Needless to say, I love driving my 59.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Indecisive posted:

Wait...

Most MMOs probably have some protocol for this (I know WoW does). It's used for both people who really are suicidal, and people who message Game Masters and say "Oh god, if I don't get this epic mount I'm going to kill myself...".

It's hard to find the EVE griefing funny because everyone involved is a terrible fat goony goon.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nobody plays Super Monday Night Combat anymore. Sorry.

The game isn't even out yet :psyduck:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Oh, right.

No one plays Monday Night Combat either, but I suppose some people might start playing Super Monday Night Combat in the future.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Super Monday Night Combat is really bad. It's basically a DotA-like with all the parts that make DotA interesting removed. There's no last hitting, no viewing anything other than your character, no items outside of grindy stat boosts that you have to lock in pre-game, very little use for money, no Roshan/Kongor (I guess jackbot kind of counts but that's kind of like if eventually all of the lane creeps turned into Rosh clones), and the game becomes unwinnable as soon as the other team pushes the lane anywhere near the other side, because spawn camping gets really bad pretty quickly with the support/tanky class buffs. Towers are barely a threat and can be taken down by one player pretty easily. The no last hitting thing is also a really big deal because farming bots is a mindless grind and feels tacked on. Nothing does any damage either, which I figure they got from LoL.

The first game was more interesting because it was more shooter than DotA, and so a lot of the removed/simplified elements actually made sense because of how it plays. You also had a lot more mobility in general, which makes sense in an action shooter. You can't have nearly as much map/lane awareness when your camera is locked to your character, close to the ground, there's no minimap, and ganks are way more common. Also you actually have to aim at people. It's essentially TF2 with a DotA rules game mode.

E: On the note of griefing, SMNC is really pretty ungriefable. They kind of have the same balance approach as LoL, which is to have everything be as clean as possible to avoid any exploits or overpowered things, at the expense of anything being really interesting or cool. Grappler (basically Pudge) can't hook teammates, for instance. Even feeding doesn't work because the game disproportionately rewards bot kills over player kills, and respawn is like 10 seconds no matter what. In the first game you can definitely feed, because players get cash bonuses for kill streaks. They're even bigger in the Xbox version, before they were nerfed.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 27, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I guess the person who gave it to me was griefing me.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I guess the person who gave it to me was griefing me.

I gave a few people copies I got from being on of the first people in the beta. I gave them fair warning beforehand, but some people in the thread seemed to genuinely enjoy it. I guess if you like League of Legends you might like it, but if not, skip it.

If you want a really solid, awesome DotA game though, sign up for the DotA 2 beta. It's great fun. You don't even have to buy the heroes like pretty much every clone but the original does. It's going to be kind of like TF2 where everything's cosmetic.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

PalmTreeFun posted:

If you want a really solid, awesome DotA game though, sign up for the DotA 2 beta. It's great fun. You don't even have to buy the heroes like pretty much every clone but the original does. It's going to be kind of like TF2 where everything's cosmetic.

On the subject of griefing, whenever I play DOTA2 I do one or more of the following:

Praise Blizzard for making such a great game
    Complain that the game is a rip-off of DotA
    Complain that the game is a rip-off of League of Legends

You have to lead into it though, otherwise it's obvious what you're doing. Normally this would just be considered trolling, but considering the mental state of the people who play DotA-likes, it's definitely griefing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Target Practice posted:

The 59 is a premium tank that cost something like $35 in real money, and couldn't be bought with ingame money. The tanks are in "tiers" that go from 1 to 10, with 1 being the free newbie tanks and 10 being endgame. The 59 is a tier 8 medium. So basically, you could just buy your way into what pubbies considered an "endgame" tank.

Now, premium tanks in WoT are actually worse then the ones you can grind for normally. This was done by the devs so you couldn't just buy your way into something that would eat the poo poo out of the other team. They are designed to be cosmetic things that are in there for shits. However, to offset them from being complete trash, they have a heavily increased rate on the the ingame currency that they make for each match. They are mainly used to grind for credits.

Well, it got to the point where 20-25% of the tanks in every upper-tier game were 59s. Instead of nerfing it, the devs took it out of the store (this had the benefit of people buying it before it got taken away, so it actually put more out there). So now to pubbies it's an endgame supertank that they can't get, which makes them even more mad.

This, of course, all adds up to a very poor perception of 59 drivers by pubbies. Naturally, everyone that plays a 59 is someone that shoots real-money rounds out of their real-money tank, with a real-money crew in it. These cretins have zero skill, and the only reason they get kills is because they used Mommy and Daddy's credit card. They all have no lives, and are all definitely human being virgins.

The best griefs are the ones where you basically just keep doing what you were doing and seeing people rage at you.

In Gotham City Impostors I often use a build that uses a sword. Once I get into melee range, it takes a hit or two with it to kill ANYONE. People complain all the time about how it's overpowered without really thinking about how hard it is to get into melee range in an FPS, and how easy it is to counter in general. Thing is, I really enjoy using the sword on it's own merits. Getting the jump on a whole group of enemies and slicing them apart is INCREDIBLY fun. The rage this inspires is just icing on the cake.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dreggon posted:

On the subject of griefing, whenever I play DOTA2 I do one or more of the following:

Praise Blizzard for making such a great game
    Complain that the game is a rip-off of DotA
    Complain that the game is a rip-off of League of Legends

You have to lead into it though, otherwise it's obvious what you're doing. Normally this would just be considered trolling, but considering the mental state of the people who play DotA-likes, it's definitely griefing.

Try doing it in HoN. It's AMAAAAZING.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Try doing it in HoN. It's AMAAAAZING.

This pretty much works everywhere as far as I know

On HoN, talk about how LoL is much better
On WoW, talk about how TERA (or SWTOR or whatever) is much better
On LoL, talk about how HoN or Dota is much better

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Slime posted:

The best griefs are the ones where you basically just keep doing what you were doing and seeing people rage at you.

In Gotham City Impostors I often use a build that uses a sword. Once I get into melee range, it takes a hit or two with it to kill ANYONE. People complain all the time about how it's overpowered without really thinking about how hard it is to get into melee range in an FPS, and how easy it is to counter in general. Thing is, I really enjoy using the sword on it's own merits. Getting the jump on a whole group of enemies and slicing them apart is INCREDIBLY fun. The rage this inspires is just icing on the cake.

I agree that griefs which have really good return on effort invested (ie, you get a big response by posting two lines in chat, or playing the way you already do) are awesome, but as someone who just reads the thread, and never has to invest effort anyway, griefs with elaborate setups and apocalyptic/dystopic payoffs are my personal favorites.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

In TF2, talk about how much better MW3 is.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In TF2, talk about how much better MW3 is.

In Game X, talk about how much better Game Y is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Target Practice posted:

The 59 is a premium tank that cost something like $35 in real money, and couldn't be bought with ingame money.

They all have no lives, and are all definitely human being virgins.

You spent 35 dollars on a tank in a phone game?

You the one 'got griefed, man.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

coyo7e posted:

http://worldoftanks.com/

Please tell me where I can buy a phone that will play this. Are you from the future? You're from the future, aren't you. :tinfoil:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

coyo7e posted:

WoT isn't a phone game, and the goon clan wars gold paid for it anyway. I make it a point to tell the pubbies that when I kill them as a kick-them-when-they're-down strategy.

Aga Mbadi
Jun 14, 2011

One of the easiest to grief games out there has to be APB:R, you don't even have to go out of your way to grief people, just using the less than lethal guns as an enforcer and arresting the criminals will send them into a rage about how OP they are, this goes for the OSMAW (rocket launcher) as well.
Another things you can do that most people will get very angry at that doesn't require any setup at all is to grab a heavy car and run into other people in cars.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
The latest grief in WoT is pointing out peoples win/lost ratios and have people cry like babies because you point out how some dude who has played 15,000 games only wins 41% of the time.

simple
Apr 11, 2007
Since we are on the topic of World of Tanks griefs, a sure way to induce some tears on your team is to suicide in high tier artillery (SPG). For those unfamiliar with the game, WoT is a 15 versus 15, team game with various types of tanks you can play. There is a tier system and the high tier tanks take months to unlock. The SPG's are unique and play different than the other tanks in the game.

Artillery is given a special view finder that allows you to see the entire map from a top down view and is generally played by hiding in bushes at the edges of the map. The high tier artillery has weak armor, moves slow and reloads/aims even slower. The payment for this is a huge fuckoff gun that either one shots or severely cripples other tanks. Because of this pubbies whine about how overpowered artillery is and how SPG's should be removed from the game. A good artillery player can turn a match into an easy win.

If you are not too spergy about your win ratio, queue up an end tier artillery. At the start of the match announce you are going to "scout" and proceed up the middle of the map. Once they notice what you are doing, your team will more or less stop what they are doing and start crying in the chat channel. They might even complain to your clan leader:

"Player enters matches as arty and suicides into the enemy at the start of the match. Makes him and his clan look bad, especially when he's the only arty on the team."

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Aga Mbadi posted:

One of the easiest to grief games out there has to be APB:R, you don't even have to go out of your way to grief people, just using the less than lethal guns as an enforcer and arresting the criminals will send them into a rage about how OP they are, this goes for the OSMAW (rocket launcher) as well.
Another things you can do that most people will get very angry at that doesn't require any setup at all is to grab a heavy car and run into other people in cars.

In the beta for APB:R, there was an exploit you could do as Enforcers.

1. Pick a criminal player who is not currently in a mission.
2. Follow them around until they are near a storefront window.
3. Ram their car into the storefront.
4. Smashing storefronts to steal goods is a Crime in ABP, and so Enforcers may press their Witness key to begin a mini-mission against that player.
5. Use a less-than-lethal weapon and cuff the criminal as soon as they jump out of their now-burning car in shock.
6. Leave them cuffed there while you scoop up everything from the shop and call it "evidence".
7. Free money! Sad people!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DrMelon posted:

4. Smashing storefronts to steal goods is a Crime in ABP, and so Enforcers may press their Witness key to begin a mini-mission against that player.
5. Use a less-than-lethal weapon and cuff the criminal as soon as they jump out of their now-burning car in shock.
6. Leave them cuffed there while you scoop up everything from the shop and call it "evidence".

I have to say, that sounds brilliant.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DrMelon posted:

Change the less than lethal weapon to a lethal one and call it the George Zimmerman tactic.

Aga Mbadi
Jun 14, 2011

DrMelon posted:

This is still in the game and it's not even an exploit, it's gameplay! Few things are as funny as having a dumptruck, which is the heaviest car in the game and is basically an unstoppable piece of world geometry on wheels, barreling towards a criminal that you can witness and only doing so a split second before you run them over and/or crushing their car against the wall.

Another way to do it is to have a RPG or an ALIG, which is a LMG with the highest car damage of any firearm in the game, and roll up to them then witness then annihilate them. It's even better if you're in a coordinated group as their time to run will be cut so short they won't stand a fighting chance no matter what. and as mentioned it's a part of the game so no one can ever do anything to stop you from doing it!

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
In the game APB:Reloaded Criminals can ram raid for free money. They need to turn it in so they can keep it. After $1500, which can take a small amount of time Enforcers can witness them and try and fight for the money.

This guy had $15k on him, which is about 15-30min of work.

mpyro fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 30, 2012

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
http://youtu.be/8qr-Wnhml5Y
http://youtu.be/lI_378Lz3cY

It's about to be the 2nd anniversary of the Goon TTT griefing steam group so i felt like making two quick videos for you folks

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

mpyro posted:

My favorite part of that is his logic that only a retard would type using proper spelling and puncuation.

I have got to try this game out. :allears: If I recall correctly, it's one of the free to play games you can grab off Steam right?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
It's been a while since I've seen a decent team fortess 2 griefing video!

This isn't in english, but TF2 should require no translation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IjG8J9sY0&hd=1

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Zaodai posted:

My favorite part of that is his logic that only a retard would type using proper spelling and puncuation.

I have got to try this game out. :allears: If I recall correctly, it's one of the free to play games you can grab off Steam right?

Come join us. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531

A good amount of us play the game.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

That sounds like the framing device for a new Bill Murray fear-of-death comedy.

It reminded me of the chozo video, which I still find funny, because I remain a child at heart.

Reminded me of today on CS:S, some guy was playing this New Age crap about energy making up matter and experiences. Some clan members were flipping the gently caress out at him to stop, and he did... for five seconds before he started playing again.

Seriously, it's not that loving hard to mute on Valve games.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Killing enemy scientists in Science and Industry will more than likely piss off your team because despite costing the other team money to hire more, it also hurts your team's scientists' morale, meaning stuff gets researched slower.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Zeether posted:

Killing enemy scientists in Science and Industry will more than likely piss off your team because despite costing the other team money to hire more, it also hurts your team's scientists' morale, meaning stuff gets researched slower.

Wait, is S&I still a thing? Do people actually play it still? :psyduck: Man that game had some good childhood memories. Especially doing the above. Why grief just one team when you can double up? :smugdog:

People also used to get incredibly angry over suicide briefcases prior to removal even though they were buggy and near impossible to get proper kills with.

e: To clarify, the Suicide Briefcase is exactly what you think it is. It took a lot of research, but it gave you a briefcase that made you run faster and explode when you click. It also had this neat animation with you raising it above your head as you made your suicide charge. It was cool in concept, but it was really loving buggy. I mean, really god drat buggy to the point where you could stand next to someone, fire it and they'd take no damage. Or you could be a few feet away, explode, and take out four people nearby. I don't know what the gently caress. Despite the long time to acquire it, and the mostly-useless nature, people got incredibly mad. It was the ultimate cheesy bullshit weapon despite all the drawbacks. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 30, 2012

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mpyro posted:

In the game APB:Reloaded Criminals can ram raid for free money. They need to turn it in so they can keep it. After $1500, which can take a small amount of time Enforcers can witness them and try and fight for the money.

Before witnessing was reintroduced, I rammed a guy who was ramraiding (honestly, just wiped out in the corner and hit his car). He dropped his briefcase of money & started shooting at me.

Problem: without witnessing, this wasn't a mission of any sort. It was open-world, which meant he couldn't damage me unless I got in a car & he blew it up. Knowing this, I walk over to him while he's spraying bullets everywhere, pick up the briefcase, and begin to walk halfway across the map to the nearest evidence dropoff point to collect the money for myself.

The guy realizes I have his stuff and freaks out, starts yelling at me to give it back. Keeps shooting. Runs out of SMG bullets. Switches to sidearm. Runs that out of bullets. 1/3 of the way there. Guy starts asking more and more politely to get his stuff back. No dice. 2/3 of the way there. Guy finally goes to get a car, and tries to run me over.

Problem #2: no damage is taken by PCs rammed by cars, and there is no ragdoll physics...or physics of any sort really. Instead of killing me, or even trapping me in flippity-floppity animations, it just moves my player model around, warping me onto the hood & out of danger when he would try to squish me against something.

Finally arrive. Excitedly start to wonder just how much money I've raked in. I drop off the briefcase, and earn...$50. Pretty much the bare minimum you can earn from a ramraid, and this guy wasted 10 minutes chasing me around the map trying to get it back. If he'd crashed his car during the last third of the "chase" into nearly any building, he could've completely recovered his losses within about 15 seconds.

It sounds like a complete waste of everyone's time, and in reality it sort of was. But remember, at the time witnessing hadn't been implemented. What I had done was literally the only way for an enforcer to stop a ramraid: stumbling on the raid as it happened, convincing them to voluntarily drop the goods, picking them up before they can, and walking back to a dropoff point to prevent them from blowing you up in a car to get it back.
Criminals could otherwise ramraid without prejudice, rake in tons of money, buy the best upgrades & equipment, and then dominate in every mission because they were up against enforcers using the starter weaponry with no perks & driving whatever vehicle they came across versus the souped-up criminal getaway cars they'd purchased. Dominating the missions meant they made even more money while enforcers made a thanks-for-playing pittance by comparison. It was horribly unbalanced against enforcers for the longest time during the beta. But on that day, for that brief little while, being an enforcer ruled.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Sanctum posted:

It's been a while since I've seen a decent team fortess 2 griefing video!

This isn't in english, but TF2 should require no translation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IjG8J9sY0&hd=1

I like the part with the heavy in the corner, hahaha.

E: I like how one of the top comments says the demoman is the easiest class in the game. Apparently he's never played heavy.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 1, 2012

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I like the part with the heavy in the corner, hahaha.

E: I like how one of the top comments says the demoman is the easiest class in the game. Apparently he's never played heavy.

Yes because someone is really gonna stand infront of a minigun for the 3 seconds it takes to kill someone while moving at half speed.(then again this was before all the crate/paid weapons)

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

AkumaHokoru posted:

Yes because someone is really gonna stand infront of a minigun for the 3 seconds it takes to kill someone while moving at half speed.(then again this was before all the crate/paid weapons)

You realize all the new weapons drop just like the old ones and you don't have to buy them right?

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
The best way of griefing in APB is just being good at the game. Here's a collection of chatlogs that I managed to amass:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post399065263
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post399217688
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post399717370
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post400258146
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post400322786
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post400359022

Or, like in this situation, deny people fun by not participating in missions where you're clearly outnumbered and have no chance of winning:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=108157&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post401949701

And here you have some other angry chatlogs from Gasoline and Krowley. All sponsored by the European division of Something Lawful:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=139369#post400448016
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453531&userid=132140#post400358335

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Captain Swing posted:

APB stuff

Those chatlogs are great. Your generous forgiveness is bountiful :v:

I have to ask though (I got lost a little with the lingo) were you seriously just playing well and ended up with people accusing you of hacking?

• Locked thread