Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

_Dav posted:

I usually park in gear, so roll up and kick the stand down to stop the engine and whatnot. Is this bad? What is the difference between stopping the bike by key compared to kickstand shutoff switch or kill switch?

I guess carbed bikes and those without fuel pumps and complex ECUs are different, mines a 2012 Triumph Speed Triple.

You won't harm it by stopping it with the stand switch. It does the same thing the kill switch does.

Some bikes leave the fuel system off when the kill switch is off, and only primes when you turn the kill switch on, so if you're particular about startup procedure or something, killing it with the key or stand but not the switch is something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

You won't harm it by stopping it with the stand switch. It does the same thing the kill switch does.

Some bikes leave the fuel system off when the kill switch is off, and only primes when you turn the kill switch on, so if you're particular about startup procedure or something, killing it with the key or stand but not the switch is something to think about.

Some bikes kill the ECU with the kill switch, so...that's not an absolute. Check the manual, if it says you should kill the bike with the kill switch, you're probably fine, if it says you should use the key, use the key.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's a good way to sell a bike on something like craigslist and not get ripped off?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On my old CL, as long as the key is on there's power going to the ignition system, and the coils get pretty hot after a while (plus the battery drains)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Phy posted:

Doesn't this go for any big single, though? The exhaust bolts on my KLR tried to work themselves off as well, and that was a pretty awesome bike otherwise. Is the Blast exceptionally vibey, even for a big single, or is it more the combination of the other lousy dynamics that gets it so much loathing?

The Blast is vibey on a whole other level. It has no counterbalancer and will completely numb your hands in under an hour. Some of the later year Buell Blasts aren't as bad, but the early models had major issues due to vibration. If you look online they sell anti vibration mounts and parts aftermarket to help with it.

I considered buying one new before I got the R1 but the overwhelming amount of issues that had been reported turned me off of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lancemantis posted:

What's a good way to sell a bike on something like craigslist and not get ripped off?

List an ad, meet in person, only accept cash?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The Blast is vibey on a whole other level. It has no counterbalancer and will completely numb your hands in under an hour. Some of the later year Buell Blasts aren't as bad, but the early models had major issues due to vibration. If you look online they sell anti vibration mounts and parts aftermarket to help with it.

I considered buying one new before I got the R1 but the overwhelming amount of issues that had been reported turned me off of it.

The vibration is really overstated, I just got back from a 6 hour round trip to Cincy and back. I feel fine, and my hands are good to go to type on a little Droid 4 keyboard.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

Cine, I justation and my a 6 hour round to to go got got back. I just got got got go got back. I justated, I just go go to got back froid back. The vibration is a 6 hand 4 keyboare Drour rom and my hand type vibrated, I fincy on is a 6 hour rom and back froid my overstation is roid 4 keyboare vibrated, I feel frounds a 6 hour round back from a 6 hand my on ard. The on is a 6 hounds and back. The Droid my ands re vibrated, and type Drom ands and back. I feel feel feel froid 4 keyboareally hand type

What the gently caress? Could it be that your eyes are shaking at the same frequency as your hands?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

What the gently caress? Could it be that your eyes are shaking at the same frequency as your hands?

That is the only reasonable explanation.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
What the gently caress? That's not what I typed at all. Must be the awful app.

astrollinthepork posted:

The vibration is really overstated, I just got back from a 6 hour round trip to Cincy. I feel fine, and my hands are good to go to type on a little Droid 4 keyboard.

*edit*
My post looks fine on the browser soooo

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

What the gently caress? That's not what I typed at all. Must be the awful app.

*edit*
My post looks fine on the browser soooo

Hehe I pranked you with a gibberish generator. :c00l:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

prankkkeeapppppllee :stoat:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Ola posted:

:colbert:

Seriously though if your only experience with a blast is at an MSF course then you're really not experiencing what it's like when it's not lugging around at slightly above idle speed. My first thoughts upon riding it were "This is what people are complaining about?" It's fine.

I don't recommend two up riding at all though. Good god my arms are tired.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

Oh you.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

List an ad, meet in person, only accept cash?

This is about what I was expecting I guess :shobon: If they can get the money to pay any other way, they should be able to get the cash together. The only thing I would have to worry about is counterfeit bills lol

I've just traded stuff in in the past just because it seemed easier than trying to find people with the money :(

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I sell stuff through CL constantly, Z3n is 100% correcto. Cash Only, no test rides without 100% cash in hand first. If they wreck it sign the pink, say have a nice day and let them deal with it. Go read up on counterfeit bills, they aren't usually hard to spot. I have actually called the secret service on a guy that gave me a counterfeit $20 that was an obvious counterfeit, got to meet a MiB and everything.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hey guys, how easy is it to swap rearsets? The OSF rearsets on my new SV650 are higher than the stock Naked rearsets. I know I definitely prefer the stockers for max comfort. If I got stock rearsets, what's the most difficult part of switching over?

astrollinthepork posted:

Cine, I justation and my a 6 hour round to to go got got back. I just got got got go got back. I justated, I just go go to got back froid back. The vibration is a 6 hand 4 keyboare Drour rom and my hand type vibrated, I fincy on is a 6 hour rom and back froid my overstation is roid 4 keyboare vibrated, I feel frounds a 6 hour round back from a 6 hand my on ard. The on is a 6 hounds and back. The Droid my ands re vibrated, and type Drom ands and back. I feel feel feel froid 4 keyboareally hand type

Android. :golfclap: had that poo poo for a year, switched back to iOS, never lookin' back. :)

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the walkin dude posted:

Hey guys, how easy is it to swap rearsets? The OSF rearsets on my new SV650 are higher than the stock Naked rearsets. I know I definitely prefer the stockers for max comfort. If I got stock rearsets, what's the most difficult part of switching over?

Pretty easy, two screws to pull it off the bike. Might need to transfer foot pegs over, adjust brake light sensor and get all the controls set up to your liking.

I have a set of stock gen 1 rearsets, need to see if they are n or s, and would be interested in your OSF ones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

Android. :golfclap: had that poo poo for a year, switched back to iOS, never lookin' back. :)

Hey, lay off astrollinthepork and the mobile OS! I need to stand up for the wrongs I do. I fake quoted, his edit is just a coincidence.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I have a galaxy tab and an iPhone. I haven't turned the Tab on in almost 4 months. It's just so clunky...

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

I have a galaxy tab and an iPhone. I haven't turned the Tab on in almost 4 months. It's just so clunky...

Yea, all that available customization is such a load.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Loud widgets save lives.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

Yea, all that available customization is such a load.

Mines hacked and has ICS on it, but there's small niggles that annoy me to no end. It's hard to beat how the iPhone just works all the time and never gives me any issues.

Dumb question; If you have a bike with a kick start can you disconnect the battery entirely and run it without one by kicking it?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The DRZ can run without a battery: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/317250-dead-battery-kick-startdead-as-well/

Most people put a capacitor or very small battery in there for whatever reason.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

The DRZ can run without a battery: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/317250-dead-battery-kick-startdead-as-well/

Most people put a capacitor or very small battery in there for whatever reason.

Was actually thinking about removing the batter from my Honda, it has a kicker and I don't think I'd like how it would look naked with where I'd have to mount it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dumb question; If you have a bike with a kick start can you disconnect the battery entirely and run it without one by kicking it?

I think that would depend on how powerful the alternator is and how good a job the rectifier does smoothing the output. For instance if you have a lovely half-bridge then there could be a 50% chance your plug won't fire on a given stroke, depending on the holdup of the coils etc.

Are you talking about removing the battery on the CM200? I would really check the alternator output first because otherwise you might find that your spark quits when you sound the horn something. Check the voltage and current, and get a buddy with an oscilloscope to check the waveform. A supercap like Motomind says would help a lot if your waveform is dirty, but it's not really going to save you if the alternator is just too weak to power everything at once and is relying on the battery for transients.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Was actually thinking about removing the batter from my Honda, it has a kicker and I don't think I'd like how it would look naked with where I'd have to mount it.

I am trying to visualize what kind of batter you'd have mounted in a naked Honda and I'm just not quite sure what to make of that.

Sagebrush got the answer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't it needed to complete the circuit?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Isn't it needed to complete the circuit?

Not sure I follow. If I put a battery charger on a battery, I go pos to pos and neg to neg, and if I put a draw I go pos to pos and neg to neg. If I remove the battery but leave the leads connected, I can still operate the draw device assuming the charger is producing sufficient output.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Not sure I follow. If I put a battery charger on a battery, I go pos to pos and neg to neg, and if I put a draw I go pos to pos and neg to neg. If I remove the battery but leave the leads connected, I can still operate the draw device assuming the charger is producing sufficient output.

Kinda like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRMptdaqOk&feature=youtu.be

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That's really funny but I was thinking of a charger like one that's plugged into the wall, just for the purposes of the example.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MotoMind posted:

I'm confident I don't follow. :stare:

What I meant was...if you disconnect the battery, you've disconnected the bit the alternator feeds current to. Or have you? I still agnostic on electricity.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm confident I don't follow. :stare:

What I meant was...if you disconnect the battery, you've disconnected the bit the alternator feeds current to. Or have you? I still agnostic on electricity.

Imagine taking a garage charger and hooking it up to your battery, then hooking up a headlight to the battery. Then imagine removing the battery but leaving the bolts through the leads you used to hook things up to the terminals. poo poo still works if the charger can keep up and produce a good waveform.

code:
CHARGER----BATTERY-----DRAW
CHARGER++++BATTERY+++++DRAW

CHARGER---------DRAW
CHARGER+++++++++DRAW
That's assuming the bike even runs the ignition circuit through the battery at all. Not sure that all bikes do, the circuit may be separate.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 29, 2012

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
I seem to remember a quick way to check if your car alternator is working is to disconnect a battery post while its running and see if it dies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you look at the alternator as the power source, and the coils/lamps/etc as the load, the battery is as a storage unit connected in parallel with the load. When the alternator voltage is lower than that of the battery, the battery discharges into the lamps; when the alternator is higher, it charges the battery. Diodes (incorporated into the rectifier) prevent the battery from discharging into the alternator coils.

So when you take the battery out, assuming you leave all the battery connectors attached as they would be if there were a battery in the middle (ie: all the grounds that come back to the negative post still need to be tied together), you just have a series circuit between the alternator and the load, with no backup. Problems occur when the electrical system is relying on the battery to be there for load smoothing and temporary overdraw situations.

It really does all depend on how good the alternator is, though. You might have the aforementioned problem where honking the horn makes your spark cut out, or you might find that with the headlights on your bike can't idle because the alternator only produces enough power to run the lamps and the ignition at 3000RPM+ and it was relying on the battery to keep the ignition running for those situations. Etc.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Meh, maybe I'll just look for a smaller "mini" battery to hide up in the seat pan or something. I want it to look really clean.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Should be easy enough to wire a set of those A123 cells in to the base of a minimalist seat.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Should be easy enough to wire a set of those A123 cells in to the base of a minimalist seat.

Lithium battery chemistries really should have proper battery management. Not sure how a naked A123 would take to being hooked up to a bike's stator. However, there are plenty of packs out there built for motorcycle use: http://shop.testsycl.com/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Lithium battery chemistries really should have proper battery management. Not sure how a naked A123 would take to being hooked up to a bike's stator. However, there are plenty of packs out there built for motorcycle use: http://shop.testsycl.com/

I had one of those off a friends race bike, assumed it was just a bunch of A123 cells together, cause it didn't seem like there was space for anything else in the package. But you are right, more research than listening to me should be done :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I had one of those off a friends race bike, assumed it was just a bunch of A123 cells together, cause it didn't seem like there was space for anything else in the package. But you are right, more research than listening to me should be done :v:

No, you're right. I was expecting a PCB in there, but after looking around I don't see any evidence that the pack manufacturers are using any kind of voltage cutoffs or intelligence. Looks like they throw all the battery management in their external chargers. How they expect the batteries to really last in a motorcycle charging system, I do not know.

So go right ahead I guess, just be careful on an old bike since it could easily kill the battery if you let it drain. :v: