Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

sportsgenius86 posted:

The UT-HBK rematch video with the Placebo song is the best thing WWE has ever done.

This is true, but really that entire 14 month program - storylines, promos, video packages, matches, everything - is the best thing WWE has done in many, many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The UT-HBK rematch video with the Placebo song is the best thing WWE has ever done.
Batista-Cena WM26 with the Spanish acoustic guitar :colbert:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

This is true, but really that entire 14 month program - storylines, promos, video packages, matches, everything - is the best thing WWE has done in many, many years.

which is probably the best example in many, many years of something that was put together almost exclusively by the two people involved and not high-level creative, no?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

which is probably the best example in many, many years of something that was put together almost exclusively by the two people involved and not high-level creative, no?

There is also the HBK/Jericho feud and to a lesser extent Jericho/Rey.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Christian-Jericho with Trish involved in 2003-04 was planned by them

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've spent the last few days listening through the Bryan and Vinny shows from the Raw/Impact Monday Night Slaughterings. If you signed up after that happened like me and haven't gone back to hear those shows, dear god is there some freaking gold in there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When dave mentioned not doing the job "like the undertaker did that one time" was that at Unforgiven after Brock won the title? Because that match sucked with a DQ finish.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

LordPants posted:

When dave mentioned not doing the job "like the undertaker did that one time" was that at Unforgiven after Brock won the title? Because that match sucked with a DQ finish.

Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

njsykora posted:

I've spent the last few days listening through the Bryan and Vinny shows from the Raw/Impact Monday Night Slaughterings. If you signed up after that happened like me and haven't gone back to hear those shows, dear god is there some freaking gold in there.
What dates would these run from? Did they have a specific name on the site, or was it just a period where Raw/Impact were so bad that B&V did nothing but make fun of the shows?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

What dates would these run from? Did they have a specific name on the site, or was it just a period where Raw/Impact were so bad that B&V did nothing but make fun of the shows?

I imagine he means the Monday Night wars B&V shows from 2010. They would be the shows from early March through early May.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can't wait for the 2000 word write up on Teddy Long's failures as a GM.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Interesting show this morning. I had no idea WWE was considering building a MMA company around Bob Sapp,

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Latest Art of Wrestling is hilarious.

"BROOM BROOM, BROOM BROOM! IS THAT A CAR? NO SIR, IT'S THE SOUND OF YOUR PEERS TALKING ABOUT YOU BACKSTAGE!"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gonzo McFee posted:

Latest Art of Wrestling is hilarious.

"BROOM BROOM, BROOM BROOM! IS THAT A CAR? NO SIR, IT'S THE SOUND OF YOUR PEERS TALKING ABOUT YOU BACKSTAGE!"

please tell me he stopped doing the interview the most obnoxious fan he can possibly find.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I UNironically hope that posh English fan becomes a thing in all wrestling companies.

Ted Dibase: Who wants some of my money?
Brendon Burns:CAPITALISM IS A BROKEN SYSTEM!

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 29, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Interesting show this morning. I had no idea WWE was considering building a MMA company around Bob Sapp,

Is that the Shane McMahon project?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

Is that the Shane McMahon project?

Maybe, I have no idea really. Dave just talked about the WWE wanting to get into MMA, building the promotion around Sapp. It would feature ONLY heavyweight fighters (of course). The best part was they'd want the guys to do pro wrestling AND MMA, I have no idea how that would work out.

Dave said they actually had extensive negotiations with Sapp, and he was basically promised everything that Bobby Lashley ended up getting instead.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Maybe, I have no idea really. Dave just talked about the WWE wanting to get into MMA, building the promotion around Sapp. It would feature ONLY heavyweight fighters (of course). The best part was they'd want the guys to do pro wrestling AND MMA, I have no idea how that would work out.

Dave said they actually had extensive negotiations with Sapp, and he was basically promised everything that Bobby Lashley ended up getting instead.

I know they kept on trying to sign Sapp for something. Never realized it was for the XFL of MMA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Josh Barnett's done both actively, hasn't he? He doesn't wrestle much, obviously, but assuming the idea would be having them work occasional PPV matches, and not a full house show schedule, it's not impossible. Probably dumb, of course, but doable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

Josh Barnett's done both actively, hasn't he? He doesn't wrestle much, obviously, but assuming the idea would be having them work occasional PPV matches, and not a full house show schedule, it's not impossible. Probably dumb, of course, but doable.

I don't see it being possible to keep up an MMA training regiment while also working a WWE schedule. You might have some fighters but nobody elite.

Of course, Bob Sapp is kind of a crappy fighter and he's better just being the biggest man in Japan. With his attributes and natural charisma he'd make a better full-time pro wrestler. Same with Kimbo Slice.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm sure WWE's MMA fighters would be as good quality wise as the XFL's football players.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I'm sure WWE's MMA fighters would be as good quality wise as the XFL's football players.

Please tell me Rod Smart planned to sign.

HEHATEME VS. BOB SAPP

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

triplexpac posted:

The best part was they'd want the guys to do pro wrestling AND MMA, I have no idea how that would work out.

Japan did that a lot. Of course now pro wrestling in Japan is in the crapper and MMA is even deader.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Japan did that a lot. Of course now pro wrestling in Japan is in the crapper and MMA is even deader.

I just recently started getting into puro (late to the table, I know) and was amazed when I read about how far wrestling in Japan has fallen. I was familiar with it thru the 1990s/2000s, but never really got interested enough to watch, and it was always presented as something that was a huge part of Japanese culture. So I was kind of surprised to read that NTV eventually canceled all their wrestling TV back in 2009 or thereabouts.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I never even imagined this, and knowing that we were so close to Bob Sapp in a WWE ring but it didn't happen makes me so unbelievably sad. Could you imagine willie_dee making a GDT thread for Wrestlemania featuring James Thompson vs. Bob Sapp?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dave was talking about two different instances with Sapp. WWE tried to bring him in about once a year from 2002-2007, and got very close in 2006.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That just makes me wonder what held up negotiations, usually WWE gets what they want when it comes to talent, except Sting and AJ Styles.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That just makes me wonder what held up negotiations, usually WWE gets what they want when it comes to talent, except Sting and AJ Styles.

There were a couple different times things fell through. Sometimes he didn't want to work the house show loop and just TVs, sometimes he wanted Goldberg's deal where he could still work Japan, sometimes he had too many lucrative outside deals that he couldn't part with.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

jeffersonlives posted:

There were a couple different times things fell through. Sometimes he didn't want to work the house show loop and just TVs, sometimes he wanted Goldberg's deal where he could still work Japan, sometimes he had too many lucrative outside deals that he couldn't part with.
Yes, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcwSRi43MRE

And of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dCNym6sO3E

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
You forgot this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgJ9hEufGU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Konnan and Court Bauer spent the first part of their interview talking about who smokes pot instead of booking.
It's ok.
http://www.mlw.com/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dave Meltzer posted:

Please don't mock a man who has diligently trained for a year for a dream of going to the Olympics, only to have it snatched away by a serious injury three weeks before the trials.

Especially a man who would have brought our great country a gold medal in the 211 pound weight class.

It's a sad day and he needs all of our support to get through this tough day. First his mom gets scrammed. Second, he finds out that his son wears Jeff Hardy socks on his arms, and now his hamstring blows out. Not only that, but just last week the gremlins from outer space temporarily hacked his twitter account.

And he's been victimized time and time again by a tyrannical police force, not just in one city, but in cities all over North America just because he occasionally drives cars into ditches when looking for a hotel.

:smug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LordPants posted:

Dave kinda owns when he's trying to be funny. It's probably because he's constantly playing the straight man.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

Dave :allears:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Dave posted:

No, I really feel bad for the guy.

His hamstring is a mess.

Holy poo poo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I love this year and all the callers predicting riots and I hope I remember it next time I write something about this identity that the hardcore wrestling fan needs to craft for himself that is almost completely removed from reality.

drat and Todd Martin is another example of mega-delusion.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 1, 2012

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Rick posted:

drat... Todd Martin.

Yep.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Todd Martin makes some decent points it's just that he's arguing against Bryan Alvarez the most obtuse human being on the planet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

maniacripper posted:

Todd Martin makes some decent points it's just that he's arguing against Bryan Alvarez the most obtuse human being on the planet.

Todd Martin and Bryan are the same kind of guy, hard headed and 100% committed to their own opinion. Problem is while there's room for one of those guys on the website (Bryan) if you give the 2 a show together there's just going to be nothing but stalemate for extended periods of time and that's not fun to listen to.

Also continuing my odyssey into Bryan and Vinny history, listened to the Wrestlemania 24 post-show today, with Bryan, Vinny and Craig driving somewhere in Orlando and recording as they went. Dear god that was a beautiful trainwreck of a show, also it's really weird just having Bryan say "FigureFourOnline.com" and not follow it up with the Observer.com bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Todd Martin makes poo poo up and is so up his own rear end that it comes off like he might be right when he isn't. He's also the only person I've ever heard whose logic is almost always wrong.

• Locked thread