Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Giving this another go, stopped last time at the start of Mexico. Does it matter a whole helluva lot if I play with positive or negative honor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
A lot of Good unlocks the Duster outfit, and a random event can happen that gives you an item that decreases enemy accuracy.

A lot of Bad lets you whistle for the Dark Horse if you have no other horse set, but it kinda sucks, especially compared to the top 3 tier horses you can easily get (Kentucky Saddler etc).

People also look the other way and don't report your crimes at the maximum of either end. You can tip your hat to people to speak and John's lines change depending on his karma.

Also being bad probably means you're picking up bounties, and I'm assuming fending off the law or going to jail a lot is going to be tedious. You should probably just play as a mostly good dude. At least good enough to keep the sweet duster.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
any of you guys play hardcore gang matches anymore?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I bought the GOTY version and really like the original game, but played Undead Nightmare for about 2 hours and didn't really like it. Does it change if I keep going, or is it more of the same?

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.

The Diddler posted:

I bought the GOTY version and really like the original game, but played Undead Nightmare for about 2 hours and didn't really like it. Does it change if I keep going, or is it more of the same?

I stopped playing undead nightmare after a few hours. I got tired of setting cemeteries on fire and killing the zombies and defending the towns that were under attack. Those elements got old after a while. There was definitely some really fun stuff, but I still never made it through the end of it. I stopped playing it about a year ago. :(

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I started a new game in this after not playing it for a while, but I don't have my Gentleman's Suit anymore. What happened? I loved that suit.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
That's the one you get for linking your gamertag to Rockstar's Social Club. You'll need it to get into the high stakes poker room in Blackwater.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Philip J Fry posted:

That's the one you get for linking your gamertag to Rockstar's Social Club. You'll need it to get into the high stakes poker room in Blackwater.

Which, and this is something I didn't know until maybe a year after the game came out, is NOT the poker game that takes place outside of the saloon where you can sleep.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really wish that you could play with that outfit without the jacket. I mean its on the boxart!!

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I just finished the game, my God. That ending!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ExplodingSquid posted:

I just finished the game, my God. That ending!

Have you seen the end credits? Because if not, you haven't gotten to the ending yet.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Have you seen the end credits? Because if not, you haven't gotten to the ending yet.

I was just informed of this as I was going to bed last night. Going to finish it properly today, but still... That semi ending! My God!

Such a great game.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
So NOW I have finished it with the end credits.

I've got a bunch of side missions to finish still, but I'll do that another time.

Meatslam
Apr 9, 2009
Haha, I love how the horses will randomly run around in the background during cutscenes in Undead Nightmare, it's like they're photobombing it.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.
I bought RDR when it first came out, beat it and all the DLC etc. I played a bit online before, I think I was level 9 or something before I stopped playing.

Anyway, real question is if I start playing the multi, is it still active community and what kind of bullshit tactics should I look forward to from people?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Masochism posted:

I bought RDR when it first came out, beat it and all the DLC etc. I played a bit online before, I think I was level 9 or something before I stopped playing.

Anyway, real question is if I start playing the multi, is it still active community and what kind of bullshit tactics should I look forward to from people?

I can't speak to how active the community is - I haven't been online in months - and you see different kinds of bullshit depending on what you play. If you're in a match where aim-assist is on literally everyone will be set to Casual essentially turning everyone into an aimbot.

I don't find this particularly enjoyable so I play Hardcore where all aim-assist is turned off. Here you'll find people mostly whoring dynamite, sitting in corners with sniper rifles and spamming the semi-autoshotgun. If you're any kind of a decent shot though this is all pretty easy to deal with. Oh and remember that in Hardcore you only appear on the map if you're sprinting, riding or shooting. It's great fun to play boogeyman to an entire posse using nothing but TNT. They'll pretty much never find you :jihad:

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am really bad at console shooting games, so throwing the dynamite in RDR multiplayer is so much fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey, sorry to bring up a dead topic (someone think of an Undead Nightmare tie-in, I'm too tired for it now), but I have a couple of multiplayer questions:

1) Is there anything special about the Double-Barrel shotgun in multiplayer? The single player modes pretty much trained me to avoid it because it was the worst of the shotguns in terms of stats and practicality. However, it's the last shotgun you unlock by level in Multiplayer...any reason why (ie: does it perform better)?

2) I recently re-picked up RDR and while running around my completed single player campaigns are fun, I also got a slight taste of casually playing Multi by myself and enjoyed it. Even recently buying a new game two days ago, I'm still getting an itch to run around in the dusty multiplayer.

That being said, the Liars & Cheats pack looks mighty tempting for all of the extra hideouts and hunting grounds in it. Even though I plan to mostly play multiplayer solo whenever I do decide to go back to it, is the L&C pack worth it for the extra activities? Does they give good exp, especially during the multiplied XP weekends?

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
So erm... picked up the GOTY edition as I've never played this game... saw some NPC riders go off the trail and I followed them thinking they were taking a short cut to Armadillo... and watched them ride right off a cliff and into a deep deep canyon.

Is this typical?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Morter posted:

Hey, sorry to bring up a dead topic (someone think of an Undead Nightmare tie-in, I'm too tired for it now), but I have a couple of multiplayer questions:

1) Is there anything special about the Double-Barrel shotgun in multiplayer? The single player modes pretty much trained me to avoid it because it was the worst of the shotguns in terms of stats and practicality. However, it's the last shotgun you unlock by level in Multiplayer...any reason why (ie: does it perform better)?

2) I recently re-picked up RDR and while running around my completed single player campaigns are fun, I also got a slight taste of casually playing Multi by myself and enjoyed it. Even recently buying a new game two days ago, I'm still getting an itch to run around in the dusty multiplayer.

That being said, the Liars & Cheats pack looks mighty tempting for all of the extra hideouts and hunting grounds in it. Even though I plan to mostly play multiplayer solo whenever I do decide to go back to it, is the L&C pack worth it for the extra activities? Does they give good exp, especially during the multiplied XP weekends?

Don't know about the 1st question but as for the second question, I don't think its worth it unless you can get it for a special deal. The extra hideouts are mostly skipped since other ones give much more XP and are quicker. The hunting grounds aren't really anything special either. I would get it if you wanted more character skins though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

mixitwithblop posted:

So erm... picked up the GOTY edition as I've never played this game... saw some NPC riders go off the trail and I followed them thinking they were taking a short cut to Armadillo... and watched them ride right off a cliff and into a deep deep canyon.

Is this typical?

Cliffs could very well kill more people than you will.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Little known Old West fact: All but 2 kills credited to Billy the Kid were actually cliff falls.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Don't know about the 1st question but as for the second question, I don't think its worth it unless you can get it for a special deal. The extra hideouts are mostly skipped since other ones give much more XP and are quicker. The hunting grounds aren't really anything special either. I would get it if you wanted more character skins though.

The annoying thing about the additional hideouts is that they picked the most boring areas of the map, instead of the many genuinely interesting and unused areas.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

mixitwithblop posted:

Is this typical?

That's all you've seen so far?

Man. You are going to have some fuuuuun boy tell you what.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Green Puddin posted:

That's all you've seen so far?

Man. You are going to have some fuuuuun boy tell you what.

I got the game late in its life so I think they patched a bunch, but I never saw too many crazy things that people posted about. I never got the cart in the air or the crazy bird people and all that. I only got 2, which were loving hilarious.

1: One of the towns on the railroad in Mexico. I had just lost a ton of money in poker after drinking a bunch and I needed some cash so I shot up the place and robbed everyone. Everyone runs and screams and hides and after I have killed everyone I go out town towards the rail station and there is one single guy not running. Some white bald dude says "People round here know not the gently caress with me" and right before he says 'gently caress with me' he starts slowly rotating from | to \ to _ like an impossibly slow, like a second hand on a clock. When he completely tilted to the floor he died and his corpse rocketed into the air right as he finished saying "me".

2: The armored car thing in Mexico. I think I went in the incorrect way so the carriage spawned in on the door that should have been open or something and it shot it into the sky and the gun on it fired away like some kind of ancient b17 without wings.

What a great game, RDR and Demon/Dark Souls are worth the cost of a PS3.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.rockstarwarehouse.com/Product.aspx?pSKU=RS-RDR-PACK1&vSKU=RS-RDR-PACK1

Why, WHY am I always the last guy to find out cool stuff?

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.rockstarwarehouse.com/Product.aspx?pSKU=RS-RDR-PACK1&vSKU=RS-RDR-PACK1

Why, WHY am I always the last guy to find out cool stuff?
Red Dead soap?
I'll take 10.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Soap that's tough on blood AND manure. :clint:

The playing cards look great too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone still playing this?

I started playing again finally and would love to get some of the co-op/posse achievements.

GT is Whodares

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheJoker138 posted:

I couldn't be bothered to do the herding again at the end of the game. What did I miss?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

I couldn't be bothered to do the herding again at the end of the game. What did I miss?
One of the best endings in video game history. Suck it up, it's worth it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Scott Bakula posted:

Like the last 1/6th of the game.

ediment
Aug 2, 2007

Don't chain me down with your manners!
Just bought this game. If anyone plays multiplayer GC: GABAONE

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Well, if you really don't want to play it for some reason, here are spoilers about the end game:

You have a little while where everything is calm, and you're living with your family. Then that rear end in a top hat fed shows up with the entire army, and John sacrifices himself so that his family can escape. We end with a shot of his grave, and pan up and see a now grown (late teens/early twenties) Jack standing over it, Bonnie's grave next to Johns. You then assume control of Jack as you hunt down the location of that fed, and finally find him on a fishing trip just across the border. You gun him down, as your shots impact the RED DEAD REDEMPTION logo hits the screen, and Dead Man's Gun plays over the end credits. Despite everything John had done to make sure that his son didn't lead the same kind of life that he had himself, he's still a killer and an outlaw, thanks to the governments attempts to "civilize" the west, which just created a new generation of criminals.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ediment posted:

Just bought this game. If anyone plays multiplayer GC: GABAONE

Shooting you an invite from Whodares, since I've yet to a ton of the multiplayer stuff despite playing this on and off for close to two years now.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The saddest part about the ending is that you have to play as Jack for the rest of your RDR experience :v:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

SporkTSI posted:

The saddest part about the ending is that you have to play as Jack for the rest of your RDR experience :v:

I maintain this is a brilliant subtle move by Rockstar, and an excellent example of using gameplay mechanics for thematic purposes

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It wouldn't be so bad if the voice actor didn't sound so awful.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Mandrel posted:

I maintain this is a brilliant subtle move by Rockstar, and an excellent example of using gameplay mechanics for thematic purposes

Worked great with the theme too:

I played the whole game being the best I could, saving everyone being a nice guy. When the end came and I got to be the kid, I was the biggest loving rear end in a top hat ever. Robbing trains, shooting everyone. Sorry John, it's an unbreakable cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think Jack's voice works for just that reason too. He sounds exactly like the kind of guy from Unforgiven, you know, the kid who Eastwood and Freeman team up with. He's kind of whiney and overly enthusiastic about murder and poo poo, and still comes off like a teenager. It works.

• Locked thread