Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

awww! two of my favorite types of creature! :3:
How old is Lola?

Shes just over a year old. Ive been pretty impressed by how quick and easy shes been to train. We need to work on how she greets company though, shes quite the little jumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Rather new dog owner here. Was researching Welsh Corgies for a good while until finally I made a trip through several countries to get my pup two months ago.

This is Guinness. :)

One of the pictures I received of him from breeders before the trip.

After a 16 hours long drive finally at his new home.

The face he gives me everytime we play and he gets on his back.

Just being cute.

Running like there's no tomorrow in a park.

A second before biting my arm while I try to photograph him.

In a park looking at ducks in a pond.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

:3: :3: you got corgi derp just right in those photos!!!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Guinness is beautiful! :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Guinness looks so much like Orbit. Thin white blaze, white chest doesn't go in a collar all the way around his neck, brindle on the cheeks... they could be brothers! Here are some of him when he was a baby:

I need to take some more recent ones! His brindle has come in a lot more.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You all make it so hard for me to hold off on getting myself a Corgi companion!

please don't stop posting pictures. They are too adorable

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Break Fast posted:

Running like there's no tomorrow in a park.

Butters does this too (occasionally grabbing the leash while walking or running), glad to see he's not the only one. I should probably train him out if it...

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm sorry for the terrible image quality, but would you like a cockroach corgi?

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Guinness looks so much like Orbit. Thin white blaze, white chest doesn't go in a collar all the way around his neck, brindle on the cheeks... they could be brothers! Here are some of him when he was a baby:

I need to take some more recent ones! His brindle has come in a lot more.
How old is he now? Might be his secret twin brother!

We don't have a lot of Corgies down here, and because of that I was very surprised to meet one a week or so ago. He was an exact copy of Guinness, but 2 years older. It was kind of weird seeing how he is going to look like in 2 years time. Like a mini time-machine.

Awesome Animals posted:

You all make it so hard for me to hold off on getting myself a Corgi companion!
What's making you hold out? :(

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 8, 2013

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Break Fast posted:

How old is he now? Might be his secret twin brother!

We don't have a lot of Corgies down here, and because of that I was very surprised to meet one a week or so ago. He was an exact copy of Guinness, but 2 years older. It was kind of weird seeing how he is going to look like in 2 years time. Like a mini time-machine.

Orbit is 11 months old.

When we first got him, I was taking him for a walk and a woman came RUNNING up behind me and it turns out she had a Cardigan too, and lived down the street, and I had the same time machine experience! It was pretty cool, as that was the first and only cardigan I've seen in the area. Our breeder is 5 hours away, and I know there are other ones slightly closer, but not a lot. Her big guy was a rescue I think. We now live one state over so I don't see them around any more.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Break Fast posted:

What's making you hold out? :(

I'm currently in an apartment with the lease being up in August. I'd prefer to get a puppy, and don't want to subject my roommates or neighbors to the talking my Corgi companion would do. Plus, I wouldn't be able to properly train him/her because my work is far enough away, and I'll be moving when my lease is up anyways so I can search for a place that is close enough to work that I can give him/her the proper attention they deserve!

So, I'm trying to show that I'm grown up.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Orbit is 11 months old.
Great. Another month till the big day.
Be sure to get a recent picture up in here. Can't wait to see that.

Awesome Animals posted:

So, I'm trying to show that I'm grown up.
That's very mature. You will get one little bugger eventually. And it's going to be awesome!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I'm hoping when I get done with school and we can actually get a house I'll be able to get a Cardi companion for my Pembroke. But that's still a ways away, so I live vicariously. :D

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Good lord, is Guiness ever cute!

Zeke and I are still herding, he is a non-stop delight for our trainer. She especially likes it when he gets all "mean" with the sheep and gives them what for. Occasionally he does walk away from the herd with a mouthful of wool, which is both naughty and a little :3: She thinks we can compete at a sheepdog trial on Memorial Day weekend. We are now working the most challenging sheep she has, big groups of younger lambs. He's starting to get the hang of come by and away to me, and does a beautiful walk up.

The hardest part of the whole thing IMO is the stuff I have to learn. Zeke totally gets the concept of keeping the sheep together and bringing them to me. He falters when my directions are unclear, or when I don't read his exhaustion/boredom levels right. When we first get into the ring he is very good about grouping them and pulling them from the fence line, towards the end of our sessions he tends to split them and not listen as well to me.

Anyway, a pic of him bringing the sheep to my husband.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Miss Indy posted:

That's blue merle isn't it? I love my Corgi a lot, but I must admit that I was looking for a blue merle boy at first, since they are just incredibly pretty for me.

I can't imagine how much work you have put into him to be able to control him that well. I started to go to dogs' school two week ago and been working on my home assignments with him everyday. Even the very, very basic stuff like "Come here", "Sit", "Lay Down" is quite hard to execute. All he wants to do is run around, taste things and play with other dogs. :)

He listens to me quite fine when we are alone or there's a dog he already knows around, but as soon as he seems a dog he haven't seen before, he makes a B-line to him instantly.

All in good time I guess, all in good time.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Miss Indy posted:

Zeke and I are still herding, he is a non-stop delight for our trainer. She especially likes it when he gets all "mean" with the sheep and gives them what for. Occasionally he does walk away from the herd with a mouthful of wool, which is both naughty and a little :3: She thinks we can compete at a sheepdog trial on Memorial Day weekend. We are now working the most challenging sheep she has, big groups of younger lambs. He's starting to get the hang of come by and away to me, and does a beautiful walk up.

The hardest part of the whole thing IMO is the stuff I have to learn. Zeke totally gets the concept of keeping the sheep together and bringing them to me. He falters when my directions are unclear, or when I don't read his exhaustion/boredom levels right. When we first get into the ring he is very good about grouping them and pulling them from the fence line, towards the end of our sessions he tends to split them and not listen as well to me.

I would love to do this with orbit but there isn't anywhere close that I know of. We were doing agility and I had the same experiences- he got a lot of it naturally and it was me who had to train ! We ended up quitting the class though because it was too crazy- 16 other dogs and orbit was so overwhelmed and not having fun which is a shame because the first class we went to he loooooved. Too bad we live too far away now to keep going there.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

I would love to do this with orbit but there isn't anywhere close that I know of. We were doing agility and I had the same experiences- he got a lot of it naturally and it was me who had to train ! We ended up quitting the class though because it was too crazy- 16 other dogs and orbit was so overwhelmed and not having fun which is a shame because the first class we went to he loooooved. Too bad we live too far away now to keep going there.

Have you thought about making your own equipment?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

gogogiraffes posted:

Have you thought about making your own equipment?

Yeah I looked at a couple online guides but haven't built anything yet.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Break Fast posted:

That's blue merle isn't it? I love my Corgi a lot, but I must admit that I was looking for a blue merle boy at first, since they are just incredibly pretty for me.

I can't imagine how much work you have put into him to be able to control him that well. I started to go to dogs' school two week ago and been working on my home assignments with him everyday. Even the very, very basic stuff like "Come here", "Sit", "Lay Down" is quite hard to execute. All he wants to do is run around, taste things and play with other dogs. :)

He listens to me quite fine when we are alone or there's a dog he already knows around, but as soon as he seems a dog he haven't seen before, he makes a B-line to him instantly.

All in good time I guess, all in good time.

Yeah he's a blue merle. He was well trained before we ever started herding. He's got a very high herding drive, and is incredibly eager to please me. Unlike my Pembroke Bailey, I'm able to stop Zeke on a dime regardless of whatever temptation he is facing. We had a lot of luck with clicker training. He's very good at "offering" behaviors and trying new things to see if it's what I want. Bailey will not give a poo poo about me if something better is in front of him. He's still a good boy, but I'm pretty sure he would be a useless herder.

At the end of the sessions Zeke does tend to shut his ears off and will start rolling in mud or eating sheep poop. We watch him closely, and when he starts showing signs of fatigue or boredom, we will switch to something more challenging or cut it off for the day. One of the go-to's when he is getting really bored is that we will open up a gate and begin moving the sheep from pasture to pasture. Just the process of getting the sheep to and through the gate is enough to get him back in the game.

Here's another pic (excuse my mug) during a good run. You can see he is going for the loose ones that are separating from the herd WITHOUT cutting them or making them divert from coming to me. That's exactly what he is supposed to do, bring the sheep to me without letting any get away.

The tool I am using is a paddle. The paddle never makes contact with the sheep or Zeke- it's a tool used to help show him the direction he needs to go until he fully understands come by (clockwise) and away to me (counter clockwise). The dog and the sheep are on an invisible line; I stand on either side of the line and hold the paddle out on the opposite side of the line that I want him to go (if that makes any sense). So if I want him to go clockwise, I'd move to the right of the line between him and the sheep. He views the paddle as solid object, so he is forced to go around and come by. Other people use flags, but that was a problem for us as Zeke didn't view the flag as a solid object. He actually thought the flag was a toy or another game, and things deteriorated until we switched to the paddle. Now we only use the paddle :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Miss Indy posted:

At the end of the sessions Zeke does tend to shut his ears off and will start rolling in mud or eating sheep poop. We watch him closely, and when he starts showing signs of fatigue or boredom, we will switch to something more challenging or cut it off for the day.
I can't help but giggle a bit and smile reading this.
I love it when my Cardi goes nuts in puddles and mud in the park. Although it's a real chore to get him clean afterwards, the fun he's having is just shooting out of his ears. :) I guess I'm still new to this and am overexaggerating my emotion when he's having a good time, but drat if it's not fun.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
Look at all dem Cardigans on this page :3:

Took my Cardigan Corra to the ocean for the first time today.

Beaches are great for digging

running

Getting the ball

Swimming gracefully ...

Drying off

(everyone knows that rubbing around in the sand dries you off and doesn't make you disgustingly sandy :downs: )

Hooray for beaches :3:

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Break Fast posted:

I can't help but giggle a bit and smile reading this.
I love it when my Cardi goes nuts in puddles and mud in the park. Although it's a real chore to get him clean afterwards, the fun he's having is just shooting out of his ears. :) I guess I'm still new to this and am overexaggerating my emotion when he's having a good time, but drat if it's not fun.

I guess I talked too much about how good he is, cus today he was an utter rear end in a top hat. We were in a covered arena, and he didn't care much for chasing the sheep. He did eat probably a few pounds of sheep poop tho..

It is pretty funny when they go all hellbent on rolling in something disgusting. As awful as I know the bath after is going to be, the look of sheer joy on their face is pretty :3:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

RurouNNy posted:

Look at all dem Cardigans on this page :3:

Took my Cardigan Corra to the ocean for the first time today.

Beaches are great for digging

She's beautiful. So lovely. :3:
I was actually planning on taking Guinness to the sea for the first time yesterday, but the weather switched from +15' to -2' C in matter of 12 hours, so that was kind of out of the question. Once the heat that's covering West Europe gets to me (+23 in UK o.o) my Cardi will see the Sea for the first time ever.

Miss Indy posted:

It is pretty funny when they go all hellbent on rolling in something disgusting. As awful as I know the bath after is going to be, the look of sheer joy on their face is pretty :3:
I often look at Guinness and wonder if the fact that Corgies are one of the more intelligent dog breed out there is not infact partnered with them being one of the biggest dumbasses aswell. ^_^ The dumb things they manage to pull off sometimes is just incredible.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
So after following this thread for a long time, my husband and I are both confirmed we want to get a corgi. Sadly this does have to wait (though hubby is wanting to run out and get one tomorrow). We are currently living overseas for Dep of State so we want to really wait till we are back in the US and have a good yard for the dog.

We do already have three cats but they are fairly tolerant and eventually accepting of new animals. I have always wanted a larger dog active dog, but my husband grew up with yorkies and papions and such, so isn't so keen on a big dog. I think this is the perfect compromise, plus who can not love a corgi face!

We hopefully will be moving to Boulder/Denver area when we come back. Would love to have a corgi group there.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I think it's pretty much a wild card when it comes to cat/corgi relationships.

My Persian cat Jim Bim is 11 y/o now and is quite calm. And even though he has nothing against playing games, the games he likes very much differ from the ones that my Corgi does.

The cat often walks very quietly up to him, when he's sleeping, investigates him calmly and then lays down somewhere near him and sleeps with him. But when Guinness is awake, all he wants to do is play with the cat (basically run in a straight line into him and brawl) and that of course scares the old guy.

I hope Guinness will become more calm around him for them before it's too late.

Oh and Corgies might not be the largest buddies out there, but drat if they are not one of the more active breeds out there. :)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I posted about this in the random nonsense thread recently, but my corgi and cat get along well. We got orbit (dog) at 8 weeks and so he was smaller than gravity (cat). Of course orbit was an rear end in a top hat but gravity could get away from him easily and soon orbit learned how gravity wants to play. Now they chase each other around and orbit is realllllly gentle and gives kisses instead of chewing on gravity's head like he used to. They have only snuggled once but it was the :3: est thing ever.

Before we got orbit, gravity would run around with his tail puffed up and his back arched, begging for us to chase him, so we knew he'd be happy with a playmate.

*edit for photo size

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 1, 2012

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
That is one the cutest pics ever! Though very large on my screen haha.

I know they are very active but my cats are used to chasing each other, tussling sometimes, and will always just get up high somewhere if they want to be left alone. They are all fairly young.

I have started doing preliminary research. I really would want to meet and watch the puppy before I adopted it, so a breeder outside my future state is not as idle for me. Does anyone know of a good corgi breeder in CO? I am willing to drive anywhere in that state.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
I made black and white film pictures of Corwin. Have some!

On our back porch.

Sitting on a stump at the base of Mount Constitution, Orcas Island.

Sleeping in the dark at the Orcas house.

This is the first time that I've picked up any film camera in fifteen years, so I feel pretty proud of these first rolls. I have a bunch more digital photos of him at his breeder's on Whidbey Island and playing at Orcas that I'll share soon. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Beautiful pics! My dad lives out on Vashon, but Whidbey and Orcas have been favorite destinations in the past. Did you see any orca while you were out there? It's about the season for sightings.

Corwin is a magnificent young lad. :3:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Captain Foxy posted:

Beautiful pics! My dad lives out on Vashon, but Whidbey and Orcas have been favorite destinations in the past. Did you see any orca while you were out there? It's about the season for sightings.

Corwin is a magnificent young lad. :3:

I didn't see any Orca, and I never have seen them, to date. My only whale sightings have been Humpbacks in February in Maui, and those are like flies there... males and females with calves everywhere, so many that you can hear whalesong if you put your head in the surf!

I'll be heading back up soon, so hopefully I will have a chance to see some beautiful whales. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Whoever said owning a dog isn't expensive. ^_^

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think I've lost about five pairs of earbuds to Hopkins by now. It's like he specifically searches for earbuds and nothing else.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Butters will chew up all sorts of cords if left alone for too long. I bought my girlfriend a Hitachi Magic Wand and the little bastard ate through the cord about a month later, drat thing was $70 :argh:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Went away for a day and left Guinness at my parents to take him out. Long story short they thought it was fun that he wanted to eat and bury himself in snow, which resulted in him catching a fewer and getting a heated throat.
Went to a vet today after he continued to sneeze throughout the day and non-stop whenever I took him outside. Gave him a couple of shots and a couple of pills to give him every day until Friday.

The babbling aside, what are your ways to trick your sweet friend to eat them pills w/o spitting them. I'm guessing mixing it with something he likes to eat would be good, but is there any other ways you find to work?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Break Fast posted:

Went away for a day and left Guinness at my parents to take him out. Long story short they thought it was fun that he wanted to eat and bury himself in snow, which resulted in him catching a fewer and getting a heated throat.
Went to a vet today after he continued to sneeze throughout the day and non-stop whenever I took him outside. Gave him a couple of shots and a couple of pills to give him every day until Friday.

The babbling aside, what are your ways to trick your sweet friend to eat them pills w/o spitting them. I'm guessing mixing it with something he likes to eat would be good, but is there any other ways you find to work?

Shove it in a ball of cream cheese and/or peanut butter... we've never had a problem with that! :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we'll take 3 little pieces of cheese. Give Taziki the first one with no pill, so she thinks it's just cheese. Then the second with the pill embedded in it, then a third piece of just cheese immediately after the second, so she doesn't even think about it.

Always works.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
I've been seriously considering getting a Vallhund or Corgi, and this thread makes me ache with puppy need.

Problem is I don't have a car, and my visiting boyfriend distrusts dogs. He certainly would not want one in his car for any reason.
I work from home, so I'd be inverting what most people do, and leaving my dog at home during the day only on weekends. I honestly can't work out if that's fair, because it's a Hell of a lot better than many people I talk to. I'm so torn.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Crate yo' dog! Or seatbelt it in. It should help some of the distrust your boyfriend has of the potential pup.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bogwoppit posted:

I've been seriously considering getting a Vallhund or Corgi, and this thread makes me ache with puppy need.

Problem is I don't have a car, and my visiting boyfriend distrusts dogs. He certainly would not want one in his car for any reason.
I work from home, so I'd be inverting what most people do, and leaving my dog at home during the day only on weekends. I honestly can't work out if that's fair, because it's a Hell of a lot better than many people I talk to. I'm so torn.

If you get a puppy, you'll need to go to the vet a lot at the beginning for vaccines and checkups, so if you don't have a car you'll have to figure out some way to get your puppy to the vet regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Plus_Infinity posted:

If you get a puppy, you'll need to go to the vet a lot at the beginning for vaccines and checkups, so if you don't have a car you'll have to figure out some way to get your puppy to the vet regularly.

I live about 15 minutes walk or 5 minutes by bus or taxi from the vet. I have to get a lift from my close friend when I take my cats, she would accommodate a dog especially a puppy in a carrier. I'm okay for transport anywhere I need to go.

It's more that if we went out to a town for the day, or on a trip, I don't think my boyfriend would want to mould his life around my dog. Holidays are easy enough because my parents would take him/her, or for single days I would budget for a boarding kennel. We don't holiday often, and it's usually one day every 3-4 months.

At the very least the BF doesn't like dogs. At most depending on how honest he's being, they make him uneasy because he was attacked as a kid. He wouldn't want to be in a car with one, and I wouldn't force that.
He does like Shelties, the one exception. The only dog who was really sweet to him as a kid was a Sheltie. I think maybe a small dog like a Corgi or Vallhund, raised from a puppy to respect him and his "space" might be okay. We're willing to try.
Later this year I will have a steady job and move to a house (in the same town) with a front and back room, then I'll look at puppies. Right now it's just puppy-ache.

For now I can live through these beautiful photographs and stories. :) I love this thread!

• Locked thread