Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Hughmoris posted:

Wow. How long have you been working with leather?

And where can one go to learn how to do thsi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Wow. How long have you been working with leather?

About... 6 months, maybe? I ordered the starter kit on October 10th, 2011.

The holsters are based on patterns from this guy : http://www.willghormley-maker.com/JohnnyRingoHolsterRig.html

However, I did a lot of work on the various starter kit projects, and some scratch stuff once I got bored with that. The holsters are really nice to work on. Since you're following someone else's patterns, you don't have to worry TOO much that you're going to royally gently caress up and waste a bunch of time and leather.

Of course, the holster posted here is a custom order, so I'm not following a pattern as much anymore, just using it as a general guideline.

Seriously, if you want to try it, just spend $60 on the Tandy Start Kit and get to work. It's really fun, and I'm glad I picked it up as a hobby.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Your holsters look really great. You could make a ton of money out here in South Dakota, people in Sturgis/Deadwood love that kind of stuff.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

taqueso posted:

Your holsters look really great. You could make a ton of money out here in South Dakota, people in Sturgis/Deadwood love that kind of stuff.

I've seen similar stuff at booths in Big Al's at rally time, for sure. Though generally it's all black leather because bikers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My friend made an owl pillow, so I made a caterpillow.

Full size: http://imgur.com/a/Ip86k

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
Quite a while back I floated an idea for a product to my workmates and it was shot down as stupid and a massive waste of time, so my stubborn streak meant I pretty much had to build it.

The Twittertape Machine

A standalone networked device that prints a feed of your tweets and mentions on Twitter. The design is inspired by the ticker tape machines of the late 1800's that kept the rich and famous up to date with the movement of their stocks and shares.

No ink or computer is required, simply give the machine power and an Ethernet connection to the internet and it will automatically check Twitter for new tweets every 30 seconds.

Though fully functional, this version is a primarily a prototype and proof of concept/reduction to practice. Improvements planned for version 2 include switching the Ethernet connection to Wifi and integrating a user control panel to enable the selection of multiple web-based data feeds such as RSS or Facebook.

I'd always wanted a beautiful old ticker tape machine to sit on my desk and occasionally spew out reams of ticker tape, informing me of my impending bankruptcy. Originally I'd planned to modify an actual tickertape device but it turns out they're exceptionally rare so I wouldn't have felt right about altering an actual antique machine - instead I salvaged metal from old clock movements I picked up on eBay and built a machine of my own design.

Video of the Twittertape Machine in action and other stuff at my site http://www.twittertape.co.uk

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
Really freaking cool. Well done!

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

iwannabebobdylan posted:

Really freaking cool. Well done!

Thank you! It took an age as I've never done anything like this before so I was learning as I went along and I was really starting to suffer from feature-creep by trying to get it to do everything from day one. Had to just concentrate on getting it finished.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Holy crap, that is awesome :swoon:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Dogtanian posted:

The Twittertape Machine

This is brilliant! You should go into production, or at the very least post a how-to guide on how you built it.

How much did you know about building mechanical things before you started? What's in that big wooden base?

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

redleader posted:

This is brilliant! You should go into production, or at the very least post a how-to guide on how you built it.

Again, thank you. The reaction has been so positive everywhere it's been shown online that now I really want to see it on the shelves. Couple of options here,

Option A: Licence it to an established company with manufacturing and distribution capabilities - the hard part is finding the right company open to licencing that carry the right product line (open to suggestions). ThinkGeek were previously suggested as they have their own 'exclusive' range so I've put out some tentative feelers there but I'm not sure if they licence from external sources at all or only build stuff they've come up with in-house.

Option B: Produce myself, much greater potential reward but comes with a whole heap of risk too and the need for reasonable up-front money. If Option A doesn't work out then I'll probably pursue this further, maybe even go down the crowd-funding route (curse you Kickstarter, why don't you accept non-US projects!)

redleader posted:

How much did you know about building mechanical things before you started? What's in that big wooden base?

Absolutely nada! I'll have a reasonable go at most household DIY but I'm a web developer by trade so experience with actual tangible things is limited. The big wooden base holds a microcontroller and a tiny thermal printing unit (hence no need for ink!) - the machine uses ordinary BPA free thermal till rolls cut down to tickertape size, so for each single till roll you get four tickertape rolls - making it very economical to keep the machine in paper. Christ sorry for the essay, I do go on.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Dogtanian posted:

Again, thank you. The reaction has been so positive everywhere it's been shown online that now I really want to see it on the shelves. Couple of options here,

Option A: Licence it to an established company with manufacturing and distribution capabilities - the hard part is finding the right company open to licencing that carry the right product line (open to suggestions). ThinkGeek were previously suggested as they have their own 'exclusive' range so I've put out some tentative feelers there but I'm not sure if they licence from external sources at all or only build stuff they've come up with in-house.

Option B: Produce myself, much greater potential reward but comes with a whole heap of risk too and the need for reasonable up-front money. If Option A doesn't work out then I'll probably pursue this further, maybe even go down the crowd-funding route (curse you Kickstarter, why don't you accept non-US projects!)

Absolutely nada! I'll have a reasonable go at most household DIY but I'm a web developer by trade so experience with actual tangible things is limited. The big wooden base holds a microcontroller and a tiny thermal printing unit (hence no need for ink!) - the machine uses ordinary BPA free thermal till rolls cut down to tickertape size, so for each single till roll you get four tickertape rolls - making it very economical to keep the machine in paper. Christ sorry for the essay, I do go on.

Figure out how much money you need to get it off the ground, triple it, and make a kickstarter. If people will pay half a million dollars for an espresso machine I am sure they would fund the hell out of a steampunk twitter ticker.

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
So how does it work? Is there a thermal printer head hidden in the base or something?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Dogtanian posted:

ThinkGeek were previously suggested as they have their own 'exclusive' range

I was thinking this is exactly the sort of thing I would expect to find on Thinkgeek when I saw the picture. I love the repurposed mantle clock movement.

I also support the Kickstarter idea.

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

Yes a tiny thermal unit hidden in the base prints off the tweets.

I'd love to go for a Kickstarter project but they're limited to US citizens only and I'm in the UK, there's a blog post from 2009 saying that opening projects to non-US projects is their Number 1 feature request but it seems like nothing has been done since then which is a real shame. Other options would be Indiegogo or Rockethub but they're much much smaller than Kickstarter. I'll let you know when there's progress one way or the other.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\/\ From the looks of it, the "mechanisms" that can actually be seen are just for show, as a simple spool would work and those gears are as useful as the gears on a pair of steampunk sunglasses. confirm/deny?

This in no way detracts from what you have done. That thing is not only really, really creative, but looks beautiful as well. Good luck getting it off the ground.

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

Blistex posted:

/\/\ From the looks of it, the "mechanisms" that can actually be seen are just for show, as a simple spool would work and those gears are as useful as the gears on a pair of steampunk sunglasses. confirm/deny?

Yes that's true - most of the above-ground work is for show and to create the appearance of a mechanism, the actual working processes of the device are all accomplished hidden away inside the base. I have some improvements in mind for Version 2 to make the visible moving parts appear more 'real'.

When I was putting it together it was really as much about form as function as there are a few other ways to print online content such as Berg's awesome Little Printer, but they have a very different design ethic and feel - I think we'd probably appeal to a quite different consumer base without stepping on each other's toes.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dogtanian posted:

Option A: Licence it
Option B: Produce myself

Option C: Won't make you much money, but you can release the plans and parts list as open-source hardware for people to build themselves.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

There's a bunch of other crowd sourced funding sites. If you search "kickstarter alternatives" you should find a few.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
Indiegogo seems to be used a lot for UK maker projects.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I didn't feel like mowing the lawn today, but I did want to putter around in the shop, so I ended up making a thing to hold my phone in the car (for navigation, video, aux music input, etc):

I've had the scraps of plexiglass and the idea for awhile but never got around to actually making plans or anything. So I just traced the phone and marked off the plug holes on a piece and went for it with a Dremel, a butane torch, and a bench vise. It's not the prettiest, and it's a little burnt around the edges, but it works.

Edit: draw up plans or at least notes for something like this if at all possible. I scrapped two half-cut-out ones before I remembered where I wanted the clamping bits to go, and then I at first bent all the tabs the wrong way -- it worked fine, but held it upside-down -- :saddowns: , but I was able to bend it back.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 1, 2012

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Delivery McGee posted:

It's not the prettiest, and it's a little burnt around the edges, but it works.

You look like you have those horrible, soulless eyeholes of the Half-Life 2 stalkers.

I love this idea.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I built a little night stand.

It wa supposed to have a drawer, but my RAS is out of alignment or the boards I got werent straight, and the legs were supposed to be a little different, but overall, not bad for my first go, I think.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
any pics of how you attached the legs? Does it sway at all?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sure:

I built the leg assembly with pocket screws and glue holding the legs to the horizontal pieces (which were supposed to be on edge, instead of laying on their face, but I hosed that up), then attached that to the bottom of the top part. Hard to tell, but the legs are angled out about 5 degrees. I should have done more like 10 - it's hardly noticeable. It's sturdy, but I probably wouldn't stand on it. Strong enough for a lamp, a cat, and an iPad for sure, though.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 4, 2012

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Finally finished the fucker. Well, close to finishing anyway. Still have to secure the rear hatch and cut another in foredeck. Next step is to put it in the water and see if it floats. Ignore the dogs.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we're going to need more detailed photos of that. :stare:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Finally finished the fucker. Well, close to finishing anyway. Still have to secure the rear hatch and cut another in foredeck. Next step is to put it in the water and see if it floats. Ignore the dogs.

Even if it doesn't float, that's beautiful. Buy a house with a huge hallway and hang it up instead!

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Finally finished the fucker.

God drat that is a thing of beauty.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yeeow, hot! Post more photos!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Why would you pour so much labor into a boat that doesn't float? If it doesn't are you planning on amending it to be a seaworthy vessel?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My bike motor kit build so far:

All that's left of the frame I wanted to use is the stem, ended up going back to last year's bike as the base. Now I need to figure out the new cable lengths and then strip/paint the sucker.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Requesting a lot more info on that beauty. Was this from a kit or scratch, overall cost, mega-post please.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Nebulis01 posted:

Why would you pour so much labor into a boat that doesn't float? If it doesn't are you planning on amending it to be a seaworthy vessel?
I'm pretty sure it's going to float, it just hasn't actually touched water yet.

calcio posted:

Requesting a lot more info on that beauty. Was this from a kit or scratch, overall cost, mega-post please.
It was from scratch. I'll make a mega post when I get home, but that's not going to be for a few days. Total cost was about $210, but I went cheap on the fiberglass resin and paid dearly. The plans were free, and I already had the tools I needed, so that helped too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Two hundred bucks is sweet, roughly how many hours? I'm moving to a new location in a couple months and will have a nice big shop to play in for the following four years, I would absolutely do something like that. I'd love to know where you got the plans and, once you've gotten it wet, how it handles. I realize this would all be covered by a mega post, but until that time comes, I'm curious. :)

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Rockis Dukakis posted:

I'm pretty sure it's going to float, it just hasn't actually touched water yet.

It was from scratch. I'll make a mega post when I get home, but that's not going to be for a few days. Total cost was about $210, but I went cheap on the fiberglass resin and paid dearly. The plans were free, and I already had the tools I needed, so that helped too.
Only 210! Really looking forward to your mega post for details so I can think about building my own :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

210 for that? Jesus Christ :stare:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The parts cost is $210. The hours and hours to build it would multiply that cost significantly.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The parts cost is $210. The hours and hours to build it would multiply that cost significantly.
:goonsay:

Yes, we are well aware it takes time to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!
I finally found myself really hating the coffee table I had re-purposed to use as a TV stand and decided to build something.

The old set up, just a mess of wires generally looking unappealing.

The new stand.

Some time soon I'll redo the top part, you can see in the side view picture that the boards warped when I had them clamped together.

As for all the wires/my router and modem...

Mounted to some mdf board on the underside of the unit's shelf, an idea I stole from http://www.decluttered.com/