Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Finally went to order Pier Solar now that it's payday. My copy isn't expected to ship until April 15th, at least. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Finally went to order Pier Solar now that it's payday. My copy isn't expected to ship until April 15th, at least. :(

At least you didn't have to wait 3 years like everyone who got on board that time they said it would be out in a month.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

For anyone on the fence over ff13-2, play.com is selling it for 20 european coins. I couldn't pass up on these savings...

Oh, and Mass Effect 3 is also stupid cheap for today only (onhttp://www.play.com ).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be

I loved FFT, enough to play it and finish it on PSP with the slowdown problems and iPhone with the wonky controls.

After you drop 100+ hours in to the Tactics Ogre game everyone has mentioned, you should mod your PSP and apply the slowdown fix patch for FFT. It has prompted yet another playthrough from me, and I haven't noticed a single problem in the first few battles. The slowdown is completely gone, and it is glorious.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For anyone on the fence about Pier Solar should either poo poo or get off the pot because it'll be shipping soon, and they never keep stock.

quote:

We wanted to inform you that the OST, the Reprint and the Reprint EP will be available in approximatively two weeks. This slight delay is due to the OST still being manufactured and our wish to make those three products available at once.
You will be notified by email prior to the release, where you can fill your address details and choose shipping options.

Do not hesitate to contact the support if you have any questions or concerns.
Many thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience!

All the best,

WATERMELON TEAM

Wendell
May 11, 2003

casual poster posted:

I never finished it, but Luminous Arc 2 was pretty drat good. My memories a little hazy on the matter, but I don't remember there being a lot of anime tropes in it (which I cannot stand). Give it a shot.

This cannot be a serious post.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Does Nier count as an action-RPG?

If you haven't played, I recommend it. I've finished ending A and am halfway through ending B and there isn't a :smithicide: big enough to explain how I feel because of this game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ragequit posted:

After you drop 100+ hours in to the Tactics Ogre game everyone has mentioned, you should mod your PSP and apply the slowdown fix patch for FFT. It has prompted yet another playthrough from me, and I haven't noticed a single problem in the first few battles. The slowdown is completely gone, and it is glorious.

What the hell! That's amazing, I can't believe they actually fan-patched it. Honestly I JUST beat it on iOS though so I'm good at the moment, will keep that in mind if I ever feel like it again though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oldstench posted:

Does Nier count as an action-RPG?

If you haven't played, I recommend it. I've finished ending A and am halfway through ending B and there isn't a :smithicide: big enough to explain how I feel because of this game.

It gets better!

(Hahahha no it doesn't)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be
When leveling new classes to be on par with your current army, use the Tynemouth area at the start of the game. The enemies are set to be lower than your levels and more importantly have very little in skills/gear, meaning you can just set your units to auto and afk while they clear the map. Beware some members may die which may impact your achievements.

There are a number of chievos that can only be achieved on your first playthrough, they are things like no-incapitations, no-chariot usage, etc. These do nothing as far as impacting gameplay, they're literally just bragging rights that you can ignore.

The crafting system is super stupid and super annoying. You can ignore most of it if you want as the game isn't very hard anyway. If you want to get something out of it then just stick to weapons. Save-scum to avoid items blowing up when you craft.

Baldur weapons have special bonus damage against undead even if their info screen doesn't seem to indicate so. Keep a few of these on hand as they are super useful when leveling new classes and such.

All the classes are useful in some capacity, however it varies depending on where you are in the game. Ninjas/Archers are always great, Valks kind of suck at the start but are great later, etc. Oh and Canopus will own bones no matter what you do.

Don't ever worry about leveling skills. It's a thing that's in the game but don't feel like you need to level them as it will drive you insane at the glacial rates in which they level. Most people finish the main game with their skills not very leveled except the weapon skills.

If you want all the secret characters on a path, consider using a recruitment guide. Some character recruitments are really time sensitive and confusing to get. A particular few are downright painful and is usually reserved for post game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

casual poster posted:

I never finished it, but Luminous Arc 2 was pretty drat good. My memories a little hazy on the matter, but I don't remember there being a lot of anime tropes in it (which I cannot stand). Give it a shot.

Luminous arc is the embodiment of all that is anime and chock full of tropes. Please don't misdirect your fellow goons into buying those pieces of poo poo.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Healbot posted:

Luminous arc is the embodiment of all that is anime and chock full of tropes. Please don't misdirect your fellow goons into buying those pieces of poo poo.

Tropes are not necessarily bad things on their own, provided they're written and utilised well, but yeah the Luminous Arc games are basically entirely terrible. No-one has mentioned the DS rerelease of Front Mission yet and that owns, or for a burst of nostalgia, Jagged Alliance DS.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ApproachingInfinity posted:

The voices are only in the cutscenes and a few sound effects; they aren't really cringe-worthy or anything, but yeah you're not missing anything for not having them. What I would miss is the extra music options, which I believe are also not in the steam version. Never played the original game myself, but being able to hear the music in "Sounds like a Sega Genesis #1" and "Sounds like a Genesis #2" was really fascinating to me. Speaking of which, does the Ys I and II chronicles PSP version have that option?

Yeah, I believe you get the option of classic PCE music, Complete, and a new Remixed one. You can actually change the music on the PC version as well though, with a mod.

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a good PC srpg.

There are plenty of good SRPGs on the PC, just not in that particular style. Elven Legacy and it's like aren't all that far off though really.

On the subject of SRPGs, does anyone know if Gungnir is supposed to be any good or not?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2012

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Luminous Arc games aren't terrible, they're just entirely average. And very, very anime.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Healbot posted:

:( Maybe thats why I never finished it then? I don't know, all I remember is the gameplay and that there was a witch with really big breasts.
Yeah, its all coming back to me now :smith:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So my first thoughts in starting Ys: Oath in Felghana on Steam.

"Man, this is pretty easy so far. My dude swings his sword blazingly fast, none of the enemies can touch me. I don't see what all the big fuss is-"

(first boss fight takes seven attempts)

"Oh, now I see what they're driving at"

(second boss takes ten attempts, deals 2 dmg)

"The gently caress?"

For that last one, it turned out I needed to

collect the ruby for my fire bracelet. I saw the invisible chest, figured I couldn't unlock it yet, pressed forward.

Then on a hunch, I went back and realized I had to light a torch to open it. Ah, so it's one of those games

So far it feels like a Zelda game running on Turbo. That's all the incentive I need.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I told you you needed to upgrade your fire magic!

It's apparently tripped a bunch of people up in this very thread, though. I don't think any other bosses are weird like that. Just, well, harder :v:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did remember advice about upgrading as soon as possible, but probably missed the fire advice.

I did upgrade my sword before venturing out, though in hindsight I should have focused on defense; the bosses have easy patterns so far, but they take off a crapload of health when you miss a jump or dodge the wrong way.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Looking for an cRPG with a good story. Would Divine Divinity fit the bill?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Whack posted:

I'm assuming you've already played Planescape?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Whack posted:

This is a better thread for that question.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whack posted:

Not even vaguely. Divine Divinity has a lot of great writing but a pretty terrible overarcing story. Their strengths are more in writing fun characters and situations and making fun of fantasy stereotypes.

It is, however, an awesome game - like a super chill Diablo that lets you go where you like crossed with Ultima7-style screwing around with the landscape - and you should play it.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

This response ought to go in the TO thread but it seems a bit dead.

I recently discovered that the skills Strengthen and Fortify are not as useful as the game would lead you to believe, or at least not enough to warrant occupying one of your ten limited skill slots for most characters. This is despite the fact that equipping either of these skills will boost your attack/defense stats significantly on your character data sheets. I won't talk about it much but my own testing confirms this: GameFAQs

There seem to be a ton of hidden voodoo variables involved, but from my own tests I came to the conclusion that character level difference, raw character stats, and weapon skill are by far the largest factors in determining damage. That, and the obvious things like the proper damage or elemental type, equipment, etc. Similarly, the Anatomy, Teratology, Draconology, and the other race-specific damage skills don't seem to do anything except for the few classes that receive the benefit from Strengthen. This happily freed up skill slots for more flexible character builds. Dodge, Sidestep, Parry, Deflect, and True Strike/True Aim all seem to work as advertised though.

- Also, save a few silver oberyth so you can transfer skills from your dead characters to new ones. I recently did this intentionally because I got a unique character I wanted to use but had no skills. It would've taken hours otherwise to get her back up to speed.

- Debuffs are often more potent and useful than direct damage spells. Get the Spell Strike skill to increase your chances of landing them. Putting a dragon to sleep, slowing a pack of warriors, or even petrifying them puts tough enemies out of commission long enough for you to gang up on one of their friends and take them out first, or go for the leader to end a particularly tough battle.

- Some of the crafting upgrades can bestow weapons with abilities they didn't have before. For example, normal bucklers give you a small bonus to resist silence but the buckler +1 requires a silence-removing consumable item to craft. I now have all my casters equipped with +1 bucklers that make them immune to silence.

- In the end, this game is (sadly) more RPG than strategy due to the game frequently stacking the odds against you. There's not much that a little grinding in the form of equipment crafting, character levels (to an extent), and skill point/stat building can't fix.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Is there any compelling reason to play Etrian Odyssey 2 before 3? I played the first one, never finished it because the bullshit difficulty pissed me off so much but since then I've become a lot more patient about bullshit grinding in games like that. I've heard the second one was basically more of the same but that the third was a real improvement over the other two. If that's the case I'll just skip 2, but if 2 is worth playing then I'll play both.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Is there any compelling reason to play Etrian Odyssey 2 before 3? I played the first one, never finished it because the bullshit difficulty pissed me off so much but since then I've become a lot more patient about bullshit grinding in games like that. I've heard the second one was basically more of the same but that the third was a real improvement over the other two. If that's the case I'll just skip 2, but if 2 is worth playing then I'll play both.

Never played 2, but I skipped it in favor of 3 (I own both, playing 3 now) because I heard that 3 was much better, and that 2 was, like you said, more of the same.

Edit: It doesn't seem to have much grind yet (part way through the 2nd stratum), or at least straight up grind. There are some times I level up a fair bit while doing a quest or trying to find materials, but I haven't yet fought solely for the sake of leveling.

E2: Whoops, thought you said you were less patient about grinding, not more. Either way, I stand by what I said.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 1, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I haven't played 2 either but it sounds like you should only go back and play it if you finish 3 and want more Etrian. Otherwise it's pretty skippable.

If you have a 3DS, you should probably just play 3 now and 4 whenever it comes out in the US. I can't remember if it's totally confirmed for the US but all the others came out here so I don't see why this one wouldn't.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Adam Bowen posted:

I didn't care for 2 personally. It felt way more tedious than the other two at the beginning and they pretty much set it up so you couldn't kill FOEs early on without grinding Boost. I got really frustrated on the second floor and kinda petered out. I think that EO1 and EO3 are just smoother experiences overall.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ok sounds like it's better to just skip 2. That's just as well since each of the games is apparently really god drat rare and expensive now.

Makepeace
Mar 28, 2012
I've just been playing through the original fallout and have been loving it but I am looking for something else to play alongside it just for variety. After looking through several threads on here I have taken an interest in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I was just wondering if I should jump straight into it or play through the first game Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

I have heard less favourable reviews of Redemption and that it is quite buggy so could anybody who has played through both provide me with some input as to whether i should bother with the first game?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Makepeace posted:

I've just been playing through the original fallout and have been loving it but I am looking for something else to play alongside it just for variety. After looking through several threads on here I have taken an interest in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I was just wondering if I should jump straight into it or play through the first game Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

I have heard less favourable reviews of Redemption and that it is quite buggy so could anybody who has played through both provide me with some input as to whether i should bother with the first game?

I played Redemption only briefly, but I'm pretty sure the games aren't related in any way, not even the gameplay really. Just play Bloodlines.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Makepeace posted:

Redemption and Bloodlines are completely unrelated besides drawing from the same source material (the tabletop game). You will lose nothing by skipping out on Redemption.

Both of them are very buggy, but overall Bloodlines is far more of a net positive. Some people do like Redemption so have a close look at it and see if it would float your boat.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bloodlines is the much better game. I've made a few attempts to get into Redemption but the gameplay isn't so great and the interface is really bad. There are no direct storyline connections between the two as far as I know, so you aren't missing anything by going straight to Bloodlines.

edit: I'm sure you know this, but it's worth mentioning that the latest unofficial fan patch for Bloodlines is absolutely mandatory, do not attempt to play the game without it.

Makepeace
Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the input guys I think I will follow your advice and jump straight in to bloodlines! Wasn't entirely sure if the games where related but theres a lot less information about Redemption than Bloodlines so glad that is cleared up!

Think im going to give the games 2 run throughs as I have been told playing as a Malkavian is unmissable.

edit: adam yes i fully intend to install it i believe 7.9 is the latest version

Makepeace fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 1, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YGKD1wwak

Best reason to play bloodlines.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 1, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kharmakazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YGKD1wwak

Best reason to play bloodlines.

Best reason to play it for a second time, anyways.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Makepeace posted:

Thanks for the input guys I think I will follow your advice and jump straight in to bloodlines! Wasn't entirely sure if the games where related but theres a lot less information about Redemption than Bloodlines so glad that is cleared up!

Think im going to give the games 2 run throughs as I have been told playing as a Malkavian is unmissable.

edit: adam yes i fully intend to install it i believe 7.9 is the latest version

Nosferatu is a pretty different experience from normal gameplay too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any rpgs like Avadon or Eschalon on PC?

I played a bit of eschalon and it's okay, but meh. Avadon is loving amazing, but I'm thinking of something a little less story involved and more combat.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any rpgs like Avadon or Eschalon on PC?

I played a bit of eschalon and it's okay, but meh. Avadon is loving amazing, but I'm thinking of something a little less story involved and more combat.

Pretty much anything by the company that made Avadon (Spider Software). That includes the Avernum series and Geneforge series (which I think is available on Steam).

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

I've seen a lot of complaints about having to grind in the Etrian Odyssey games before, and they remind me of the grinding complaints about Dragon Quest in this very thread. Sure, you can grind your level up and eventually brute force your way through, but if you play carefully and plan well then grinding should never, ever be necessary in the main game. Just do the bar quests and work your way up/down steadily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Due to the amount of praise I've read about it on here I've grabbed a DS off eBay and Radiant Historia, the grid twist to the normal jRPG combat system's interesting enough, and the main character is refreshingly unretarded. I used to be a huge jRPG fan in my younger days (Before I played other games more focused on character choice and development, etc) and it's been a long time since I played one, there's just something about them that I find very comforting (Maybe from playing them so much as a kid) and cathartic, I'm really enjoying it, I was hoping you goons could recommend some other good DS RPGs?

I hear Chrono Trigger got remade and I never did finish that in the end so I could buy that.