Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Safety Dance posted:

Can't you take it to the auto parts store and dump it in with the used motor oil?

I suppose technically you could, but they'll get pissy if you do it. The reason that those places accept oil for free is because they can sell it back to the refineries for recycling and get some small amount of money. If people pour in other chemicals (paint, chlorinated hydrocarbons, weed killer) it can ruin the whole batch. I don't think gasoline would actually affect the batch that much, since it's a refining product anyway, but make sure no one sees you doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Well it's hard to make a good diagnosis without good information, so I'm going with either chain slap or pinging. Neither is particularly dangerous. The latter manifests itself under heavy load and/or high heat when gasoline ignites before or after when it should. If it does seem to be related to high load at low RPM, just downshift and run higher RPM up hills. Otherwise don't concern yourself. Definitely not lupus.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can always run old crap gas in a chainsaw or lawn mower or something that isn't quite as performance-sensitive as your motorcycle.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MotoMind posted:

Well it's hard to make a good diagnosis without good information, so I'm going with either chain slap or pinging. Neither is particularly dangerous. The latter manifests itself under heavy load and/or high heat when gasoline ignites before or after when it should. If it does seem to be related to high load at low RPM, just downshift and run higher RPM up hills. Otherwise don't concern yourself. Definitely not lupus.

Cool, thanks for helping alleviate some of my concerns. :)

On an unrelated note, I have ordered a new fuel filter & some oil. Gonna be doing my first oil change (Yay!)

Is it just as simple as:

1. Container under drain plug, unscrew & let the old oil flow.
2. Remove & replace oil filter.
3. Put back drain plug/nut/thing/whatever & filter nuts and screw on tightly.
4. Pour the new oil incrementally.

Do I need to do anything specific like sealing the oil filter?

And obviously, I will go for a swim and force feed the old oil to some dolphins. :v:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The oil filter cover will have one or more o-rings, which on a newish bike should not require replacement. I'm not familiar with the setup of the filter on your bike, but it should be pretty self explanatory. Maybe pay attention as you remove it in case there's something special, like a dowel or spring in there.

Your drain plug may have a crush washer. If it does, you can replace it with an equivalent sized copper washer, or purchase another OEM washer. Tighten the drain plug carefully. It will not require much torque for the size of bolt it is. Do not go at it with an enormous breaker bar or else you will owe yourself a helicoil kit.

Be careful when tightening the oil filter cover bolts. They do not require much force (~72 inch/lb of torque if 8mm socket). If you do not have a torque wrench, just screw them in by hand all the way, then tighten them in even passes with a small-handle wrench. Once you hit resistance, you don't need to go far. Once the surfaces are in contact, you only need to make them snug with fractions of a turn more. Additional force once snug will only damage the threads in your engine case.

If you do own a manual and a torque wrench, these tasks will cause less anxiety. If you do not, just be mindful of the nature of the material you're dealing with. With wood screws, you need to compress the material to get a snug fit. Metal does not compress, so all you want to do is mate the surfaces and do a bit more so that they're truly flush and the bolt is under some tension. You can generally feel that transition to tension on low-torque fasteners when using the appropriate wrenches.

Edit: And yes, running the bike first is important. Go for a spin around the block. This will put residue back in suspension in the oil. Make sure you let the bike cool down for maybe 10 min before draining so the oil is not too hot.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 2, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Make sure to get a new crush washer... actually get a few while you're at it, they're cheap. Don't retighten too tightly. Check the torque specs in the manual and follow them.

Warm up the bike before you do it - oil flows better when it's hot. Because the oil is hot, you may want to get a box of nitrile gloves if you don't have some already - keeps your hands reasonably clean and unburned.

If it's a screw-on type oil filter, just lube up the rubber seal on it with some new motor oil, and screw it on.

Use the oil change as an opportunity to put eyes on parts of the bike you normally wouldn't. Its a good chance to catch trouble early and/or clean up grimy crevices.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Generally, the oil filter should come with new o-rings and springs, right?

Vegetable Dumpling
Aug 5, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Can't you take it to the auto parts store and dump it in with the used motor oil?

No, that's for used oil. They're pretty adamant about that, and with good reason, they recycle it. Pouring it out is horrid for the water table. Let's not poo poo where we eat, and with 7 billion people, there aren't many places we're not eating.

If there isn't any water in it, I'd mix it in with the fuel of an old truck or something if you can. It'll still burn, just not too well, something not too sensitive like snowdens says. And thin it out if possible. You won't even notice it going through something like that.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Odette posted:

Generally, the oil filter should come with new o-rings and springs, right?

Going to go on a limb and say yes - mine did when I got it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Your oil filter will probably need an appropriately sized wrench to get off; an automobile filter or strap wrench may be too big. If it's at all accessible, check that your wrench fits on the filter in advance.

As discussed previously, getting metered oil into a tiny hole in the side without making a mess can be tricky, make sure you have an appropriate rig beforehand as well.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Haha, I just assumed his bike had an enclosed filter. Could be an external unit for all I know, though.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Don't tighten the everloving gently caress out of the oil drain bolt. Some P.O. did that to my last Ninja 250. Rage.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

the walkin dude posted:

Don't tighten the everloving gently caress out of the oil drain bolt. Some P.O. did that to my last Ninja 250. Rage.

Or the filter. loving factory-tightened oil filter was such a bitch to get off. Turns out I didn't learn my lesson. Had a helluva time getting it off again yesterday when I changed the oil. I DID learn my lesson this time though. Hopefully.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I was moving my cb350f around my shed and due to me being a complete idiot, it fell against the wall. It fell perfectly on the clutch lever and sheared along the where the lever goes into the left hand controls.

I just applied JB weld to the lever to get it in one piece.....do I trust it for normal operation or should I try to find a used one with some patina on it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a replacement they're cheap, usually.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

clutchpuck posted:

Get a replacement they're cheap, usually.

Unfortunately the bike is from '73 and 100% original (minus wear items like tires and chains) and its very hard to find a genuine original (not NOS) clutch lever.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd ride with an epoxied clutch lever so long as the bike was 100% original.

Just get a cheap lever while you look for an original one dude.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

nsaP posted:

I'd ride with an epoxied clutch lever so long as the bike was 100% original.

Just get a cheap lever while you look for an original one dude.

That's probably the wisest course of action and what I'll probably do.
Thanks

E: Otherwise you'd see me posting in the crash thread about how my clutch lever snapped at the most inopportune time

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bloody Queef posted:

Unfortunately the bike is from '73 and 100% original (minus wear items like tires and chains) and its very hard to find a genuine original (not NOS) clutch lever.

A "NOS" level is literally "New old stock", as in original parts that were never sold. NOS is the genuine original part.

Unless, of course, you're referring to the lever you broke in some sort of Schrodinger's lever paradox.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Before draining old gas into a bottle, make sure you haven't been using said bottle as a waterfall bong previously. Gas is now all over the drive way. I saw that you said not to pour it into the grass so I figured I should burn it before it ran off. The gasoline fire turned into a bonfire with wood from an old stool and I made marshmallows once the gas had burned off, but according to the police four cinder blocks do not count as a fire pit. I should be able to get fresh gas tomorrow and start the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Godspeed.

Vegetable Dumpling
Aug 5, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

So I was moving my cb350f around my shed and due to me being a complete idiot, it fell against the wall. It fell perfectly on the clutch lever and sheared along the where the lever goes into the left hand controls.

I just applied JB weld to the lever to get it in one piece.....do I trust it for normal operation or should I try to find a used one with some patina on it?

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB350K4-SUPER-SPORT-1972---1973/part_53680/

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bloody Queef posted:

http://www.bikebandit.com/parts-unlimited-replacement-motorcycle-brake-lever?m=9197

It's repairable and silver soldering is the answer, JB-weld isn't. Not worth the trouble though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
No reply in the "what bike" thread...so another stab where there's more traffic...

How much hurt am I looking at here?
Asking is $1200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtrOGTya-4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Had a fuel delivery issue with my KLR-650 today. I was heading up a hill at a brisk pace (not WOT, but close. Maybe 5K RPMs) when my engine stopped making power. I turned around and tried to bump start it (don't know why -- seemed like a good idea). I flipped the petcock over to reserve and used the button, and it started right up.

Sounds like I was out of fuel, right?

Nope. I've got a translucent tank on the KLR. The fuel level was way above the level it is when I have to switch over to reserve. I got to my destination on reserve, did what I had to do, and left. I flipped it over to main and rode around for a while. I even flipped it over to off, emptied the carburetor, and the bike started right back up when I flipped it over to main.

I've got a manual petcock (not vacuum operated), so it wasn't a vacuum issue. Bit of crud in the fuel? I don't see anything in the tank when I look (translucent, remember?). Does it sound like anything anyone's experienced before?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Could be that the vent hose is kinked, otherwise I'd lean toward something electrical. Intermittent connection somewhere, maybe coil?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

While I'm thinking about these things, what's better, a Clymer manual or the Cyclepedia manual? Factory manual any good?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've never heard of Cyclepedia before, so I can't comment on that. Clymers/Haynes will tell you most things and assume a basic level of knowledge, factory manuals tell you how to do everything and assume a higher level of knowledge.

A Clymers would probably be fine in your case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Weird question, but: are you allowed to take a motorcycle chain on a plane? I'm in the States right now and I've found a bunch of parts I need for much cheaper than they are back in Canada, but I don't have any checked luggage and paying the extra 25 bucks to do so would negate most of the cost savings. I figured they would be okay with a set of taillights, but a chain seems like maybe it could be a "weapon"?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Weird question, but: are you allowed to take a motorcycle chain on a plane? I'm in the States right now and I've found a bunch of parts I need for much cheaper than they are back in Canada, but I don't have any checked luggage and paying the extra 25 bucks to do so would negate most of the cost savings. I figured they would be okay with a set of taillights, but a chain seems like maybe it could be a "weapon"?

I've had them take away a laptop lock, which was a wire cable. I'm betting a chain is not going to get through easily. Checked baggage is another matter, no issues.

Vegetable Dumpling
Aug 5, 2005

Jabs posted:

No reply in the "what bike" thread...so another stab where there's more traffic...

Asking is $1200.

You're going to get what you pay for. The design is good, really old, but good. Like the guy keeps saying typical russian quality. The materials and manufacturing aren't very good. Still, it's $1200 and could run for quite a while - hell with most bikes at 2k miles it'd be a no brainer, but I know a guy whose motor mount bolt snapped from use alone. He had to limp it home.

I would buy one, but I've got a full set of tools and like airheads. The question is do you like wrenching? Cause you'll probably be doing your own maintenance and jury rigging your way through strange repairs. Find the maintenance schedule and look at how often the oil needs changing to see what I mean.

Check out https://redlegsrides.blogspot.com He rides Urals and likes them quite a bit. He's a nice guy, if you have any more questions shoot him an email. Tell Brady pointed you his way.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Jabs posted:

Asking is $1200.

Don't those things have a top speed of 55 mph?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Whose jackets run large and come in mesh? I need to gear up and I am a very large guy. I usually need a lot more shoulder width than normal people.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Look at non-Euro based brands and you'll tend to find cuts that are a bit larger. Joe Rocket, Scorpion, Icon, Firstgear, Tourmaster, Cortech (I think?), etc.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm a big (in both senses of the word) fan of my Olympia Moab mesh jacket.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Two questions, if you don't mind:

What bikes in the 100hp+ range also have a shaft drive? Sport bike/cruiser doesn't really matter. I've already thought of VMax and Goldwing, but don't know of any others. Ideally I'd like a really high revving sportbike motor, though, and preferably an inline motor rather than a v or boxer.

What can I expect to pay for running motor/transmission of the above type out of some wrecked bike? Salvage yard or private party or whatever doesn't really matter at all, so long as I can get a drivetrain that works. Hopefully in Northern Nevada/Northern California or from some place that will ship for a reasonable price.

Thanks!

Oh shaft drive is very important I think for what I'm trying to do.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What are the negatives associated with using sticky race tires on regular roads?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

An observer posted:

What are the negatives associated with using sticky race tires on regular roads?

They won't heat up thus won't get any grip if you're talking about slicks. Q2's, pilot pure's, etc - sporty track day capable tires are fine on the street.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Last week I got a Scorpion EXO 1000 to replace my busted HJC that they ended up refunding me for. Yesterday I was cruising and the nifty deal with it shade visor was getting jammed up halfway down.

After I got home I popped the outer visor off and gave it a look. This little piece was rattling around, and fell out where the red rectangle is(the sun visor area, you can see a bit). Great. Looking closer it appears to be the piece that the cheek pad clipped into.

So as I continue on my journey of breaking all the poo poo I own, could someone recommend helmets with decent build quality? I was only a bit less of a cheapskate going for the Scorpion but I'm tired of lovely helmets. I spent all of last season with a helmet that I had to worry about, I'm not doing it again.

phone pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Crayvex posted:

Don't those things have a top speed of 55 mph?
The sidecar models are pretty well underpowered so I could believe that number, but a solo bike might not be so bad. But listen to the warnings about reliability. Also, parts.