Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLM
Mar 3, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

:stare: Vinny's opinion of the HHH-Taker match

He sounds like such a bitter bitch smark just because his precious DBry lost the title.

Actually he sounds like a 4 year old who dropped his ice cream at Disney Land so by their logic the rest of the park sucks.

Edit: What do people think of that ROH match they are claiming stole the weekend? As a non ROH fan should I go out of my way to get this DVD when it comes out?

I don't dislike ROH, I just don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TLM posted:

He sounds like such a bitter bitch smark just because his precious DBry lost the title.

Actually he sounds like a 4 year old who dropped his ice cream at Disney Land so by their logic the rest of the park sucks.

Edit: What do people think of that ROH match they are claiming stole the weekend? As a non ROH fan should I go out of my way to get this DVD when it comes out?

I don't dislike ROH, I just don't watch it.

Elgin/Richards was the match of the weekend, year, and probably better than any match last year.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah it's seriously one of the best matches I've seen in years. Absolutely worth tracking down even if you don't follow ROH.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was funny hearing Bryan struggle to think of a match that elevated a guy like Elgin vs Richards when ROH did the same thing in 08 with Tyler Black. Hopefully they don't botch the follow up like they did there.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

MassRayPer posted:

It was funny hearing Bryan struggle to think of a match that elevated a guy like Elgin vs Richards when ROH did the same thing in 08 with Tyler Black. Hopefully they don't botch the follow up like they did there.

He went to a match just like that live two years ago! (Tozawa/Hero)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lloyd Boner posted:

He went to a match just like that live two years ago! (Tozawa/Hero)

I love that match.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I can't recall ever hearing Dave really angry before, but man, he was pissed about Overeem.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about my past couple months of subscribing to F4/WO is the old smark letters written to Dave in 1994. At some point I'll go through and pluck a few gems before I let my subscription expire.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Bryan (reading a question): "What is the relationship between John Cena and Betty Skaaland?"
Dave: "....maybe they're lovers"

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Bikeage posted:

Yeah, Vinny came off pretty bad with that, like the Comic Book Guy of smarks (is that implied?). Sitting there with his arms crossed pouting because of the Bryan match.

I can appreciate that watching live one would have lost out on JR and most of their (awesome) facials and subtle gestures, but it was still a hell of a match from an action standpoint.
I understood him, it was very much a fill in your own blanks kind of match as far as the characters motivation for doing what they did, which were really ambiguous even in the promo's building the match up.

It was a great match but the story was really disjointed even with JR on commentary, I can definitely see how the matches story would seem totally disjointed without commentary.

Not that I enjoyed the match any less, but being in the live audience I could see how this would be possible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rodney the Piper posted:

One of my favorite things about my past couple months of subscribing to F4/WO is the old smark letters written to Dave in 1994. At some point I'll go through and pluck a few gems before I let my subscription expire.

The most recent one where some reader gets pissed at him for making a joke about steroids and Austrians for example...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rodney the Piper posted:

I always liked the recurring one where a guy is looking for Traci Lords videos.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm having an issue finding the original letter that inspired my comment (someone asking about angles of the time period with stuff like "if Earthquake really squished Damien, WHY DIDN'T BLOOD LEAK THROUGH THE BAG?!"), but here's a couple that I found notable.

12/12/94

quote:

Art Barr was my best friend in Mexico and when I learned of his passing, I had to write down my feelings. I had talked with him only 40 hours earlier. I'm not a poet and never claimed to be. The poem is just my feelings for a guy who I shared a major part of the last two years of my life with. God bless you Art. I love you man.

Chris Jericho

Mexico City, Mexico

12/26/94 - an early Jericho nemesis

quote:

I must question your choice of lead stories and the amount of space you allocate to what I consider almost insignificant news while ignoring major developments. Case in point is the decision to devote nearly four-and-a-half pages to the death of a minor league wrestler like Art Barr while greatly downplaying the story by the WWF to transfer its heavyweight title a few days after a PPV event. This is a sign of questionable news judgement.

The lead story that week should have been an analysis drawn from your own insights as to why the WWF would drop Bob Backlund who was getting such a big pop in favor of Diesel, who has little to no charisma and little drawing power.

No matter how you bury WWF and WCW on a weekly basis in favor of stories with limited appeal, you have to realize the public is primarily interested in only those two organizations and they should be given the proper attention.

When stories on other aspects of the sport, whether it be Japanese wrestling, Mexican wrestling or steroid trials warrant extra attention, they deserve the lead pages. If not, stick to what people care about. WWF and WCW.

Robert Temple

Bridgewater, Massachusetts

10/17/94

quote:

I agree with reader Ron Daignault on the ECW fans. They are more interested in seeing someone seriously injured than in seeing a good wrestling match. I believe they'd encourage 911 to choke slam a five-year-old.

Paul Verlander

Gloucester, New Jersey

DM: Based on what I've seen, I think ECW fans probably enjoy seeing good wrestling matches more than fans of any other U.S. promotion, but you're right that they would encourage 911 to choke slam a five-year-old.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's too bad we never got to see 911: Little Child Chokeslammer.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Chokeslam Dewey

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

It's too bad we never got to see 911: Little Child Chokeslammer.

Benoit stole his gimmick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

Benoit stole his gimmick.

Dude!

Benoit didn't slam him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Gaz-L posted:

Dude!

Benoit didn't slam him.

Never been proven.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Observer posted:

Goldberg didn’t love wrestling. But he didn’t hate it either. He didn’t like the politics or didn’t fully understand it. But he did love one aspect of wrestling, and that is it made him a star and allowed him to bring smiles to children’s faces, particularly those with health issues.

:3:

Goldberg rules.

edit: Richards/Elgin five snowflakes!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 6, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'm having an issue finding the original letter that inspired my comment (someone asking about angles of the time period with stuff like "if Earthquake really squished Damien, WHY DIDN'T BLOOD LEAK THROUGH THE BAG?!"), but here's a couple that I found notable.

12/12/94

12/26/94 - an early Jericho nemesis

10/17/94

It's kind of interesting how well-written those letters are.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

LordPants posted:

:3:

Goldberg rules.

edit: Richards/Elgin five snowflakes!

So Goldberg was basically the Christopher Eccleston of wrestling's "Doctor Who". :v:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rick posted:

People used to write letters all of the time. Even when it was, "I HATE YOU!" letters they paid attention to grammar and punctuation. Imagine a message board where you could only write until your hand cramps and people don't get your message for days. You'd pay better attention to what you were writing too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

So Goldberg was basically the Christopher Eccleston of wrestling's "Doctor Who". :v:

He did like wearing leather jackets.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Interesting Art Of Wrestling this week, interviewing Roland Alexander, owner of APW (and minor character in Beyond The Mat). Whereas usually Colt's interviews make me empathize with the interviewee, all I could think during this was that Alexander might be the most stereotypical booker of all time. Every story he told was ultimately about him being smarter and a harder worker than anyone else, and about how he worked his rear end off for all these people who tried to screw him. It was interesting to hear someone so completely absorbed by their own version of events, but then that's wrestling for you I guess.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

He did like wearing leather jackets.

I think you're thinking of Tank Abbott

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Rick posted:

That's how you know they're real letters not written by Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I usually like wrestling weekly. I don't listen to it often as I have less time for the podcasts these days, but this week's episode looked interesting given it had a super WCW story. I couldn't get through Les' WM breakdown. Once he said how UT/HHH didn't need a million kicks to tell a great story I was rolling my eyes. Both are great matches, but come on, you are going to laud two guys for mastering the subtle art of pro wrestling for a match where they did a million hard chair shots that roughed one guy up and a bunch of shots to the eye for hardway blood that roughed up the other one?

On top of that the WCW story wasn't really even that interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still don't get why Triple H didn't just blade. You're the boss's son-in-law, you and your wife are two of the highest ranked executives in the company. They're not gonna fire you.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Gaz-L posted:

I still don't get why Triple H didn't just blade. You're the boss's son-in-law, you and your wife are two of the highest ranked executives in the company. They're not gonna fire you.

There's plausible deniability in hardway blood, I guess. You can do it, and not look like a hypocrite for blading.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Plus an argument for HHH & 'Taker not blading would be that they have to set examples for the rest of the guys. Of course, this is usually ignored in every other way.

This is from the 9/13/93 Observer. I think some of the arguments are silly, but I also thought some were kind of interesting:

quote:

In response to Gary Graham's letter in the 6/7 Observer, I do feel he's a bit off base. While I don't follow AAA and I personally don't like Lucha Libre style, I don't feel that coverage of that promotion should stop in the Observer. You can't ignore a hot promotion like AAA. Back in 1989, the UWF was the hottest promotion in the world. There were many who sound the "shooting style" as boring, but that would be no excuse not to cover it in the Observer.

I do agree with Graham's comments on Ric Flair. While it is true that he works very hard in every match and can carry total stiffs to watchable matches, I barely have him in the top ten wrestlers of all-time. If you compare Flair with Jushin Liger, Liger blows him away. If you compare actual ring work, Liger is head-and-shoulders above Flair. He's crisper in his moves. His bumps are a lot more realistic. When was the last time you saw a bad Liger match? Battle Bowl doesn't count. He can brawl, he can work Lucha style, he can matwork and he can fly. Flair can't say that. Also, Flair needs interviews to get himself over. There is a big difference between Flair having the ability to get the fans to "whooo" at will and Liger having fans' eyes pop out of their head when he does a tope. While it is true that some of his appeal is his outfit, I don't believe it is his gimmick that gets him over. Fans forget about his gimmick two minutes into every match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Apples and oranges. You can't compare guys from different eras who did different things and were excellent in their own way. At least in my opinion, anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The big difference between Flair getting the fans to Whoo and Liger getting a reaction for a dive is one takes much less effort and risk. That is one of the worst arguments I have read. Flair could also get a giant reaction for the flop, a single chop or the Figure 4.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/04/10/six-drinks-in-does-monday-night-raw-for-04-09-12/

Six Drinks In does RAW for the first time ever. I've been told not to yell so much after the Wrestlemania show. Anyway, here's a show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I got frustrated with Review-a-Raw tonight because of how much they actually praised this week's Raw, haha.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cardboard Box posted:

I got frustrated with Review-a-Raw tonight because of how much they actually praised this week's Raw, haha.
Dave and Bryan weren't too hard on it either (though they did were disappointed that Lesnar's already facing Cena).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well I can see Dave & Bryan's point of view. In the grand scheme of things, that was just a mediocre Raw. It also seemed a lot worse than it was because we were all still high off last week's great episode.

Last night had the good pull apart brawl, a bunch of nothing matches and some ok storyline progression from Punk & Jericho. It wasn't like it was TNA, where it's actively offensive.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love how Dave basically said today that if you're poor, you cannot be a true fan.

Not to defend Miz or say that he had a tough life or whatever because I don't think he did, but saying someone is basically a fake fan or knows nothing because they haven't been to a live show is ridiculous.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love how Dave basically said today that if you're poor, you cannot be a true fan.

Not to defend Miz or say that he had a tough life or whatever because I don't think he did, but saying someone is basically a fake fan or knows nothing because they haven't been to a live show is ridiculous.
That was a weird one. I've only been to one show (Oct. 31st, 1997 in Bahrain, main evented by Bret vs Undertaker) but have always been a fan as far as I can remember.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Actually I kind of agree with him. I haven't listened to the new Observer yet, but I really didn't have a great appreciation of wrestling until I went to a live show. I was a fan in the attitude era but actually being at a show, you are part of the show in a lot of ways and doing your job and popping at things or booing the heel is something that you really can't "get" until you've been in the audience.

I don't know that I would use the word "true" though. It's just kinda inflammatory to suggest that people who can't go to shows are less of a real fan than someone who goes to all the shows. I think I can understand what he's might be saying...

gently caress it I'll go listen to his argument and come back to finish my thoughts.

• Locked thread