Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Veritas posted:

the bike was looking dirty as hell. smashed bugs all up front, grease and crud everywhere else. gave her a proper hose down. tomorrow, chain and rims. if i can't be fast, i'm gonna look good.

My parts should be here tomorrow hopefully. Then I just have to figure out how to get the dirt out from between the wheel and tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

invision posted:

Then I just have to figure out how to get the dirt out from between the wheel and tire.

Easiest way is probably just to break the bead and the reseat it afterwards. I have a big compressor, but you're down by San Antonio arent you?

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
e: Whoops, wrong thread.

e2: While I'm here, this is the track I crashed at, filmed a few weeks ago at another test day. I bit the dust yesterday in turn 3, the first left, on cold tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxABnozB2A

Bird-o-matic fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 31, 2012

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Got some aftermarket bodywork off a dude, but don't have the time to get it resprayed to my original colours before next week's trackday. Now my bike is confused. Excuse the lovely pic off my phone.

The bike is running on the OEM diablo supercorsa sp tires, so i'm now thinking of getting a set of SC2s for trackdays and keep the sp set for the road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Supercorsas are my current favorite track tire...good choice, can't go wrong with them.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

Supercorsas are my current favorite track tire...good choice, can't go wrong with them.

mmhmmmm race rubber. this man speaks the truth.

hey Z3n, what kind of life are you getting out of your pirellis? i wore out the front before the rear, right side is toasted. rear still looks good. the norm is usually two rears to a front (usually). my vendor says its not all that uncommon, especially among novice racers. anyways, just wondering.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

mmhmmmm race rubber. this man speaks the truth.

hey Z3n, what kind of life are you getting out of your pirellis? i wore out the front before the rear, right side is toasted. rear still looks good. the norm is usually two rears to a front (usually). my vendor says its not all that uncommon, especially among novice racers. anyways, just wondering.

I was running mine into the ground, also running takeoffs, but I want to say I'd get whatever time the previous rider had on them plus 2-3 trackdays on a rear, about twice that on a front. Obviously it depends on the track, with a balanced profile of left and rights or flipping the tire at the right time I might squeeze 4 days out of a rear tire, but most of the time I swapped after 2-3 days because takeoffs are cheap.

However, I trailbrake very little and it sounds like that's not the case for you. Either that or your front suspension setup is botched, are you getting any tearing or odd wear? Are you wearing the tire out at the very edge of it or in the portion of the tire you're on while trailing into a corner? How's your pressures and cold to hot increases?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

I was running mine into the ground, also running takeoffs, but I want to say I'd get whatever time the previous rider had on them plus 2-3 trackdays on a rear, about twice that on a front. Obviously it depends on the track, with a balanced profile of left and rights or flipping the tire at the right time I might squeeze 4 days out of a rear tire, but most of the time I swapped after 2-3 days because takeoffs are cheap.

However, I trailbrake very little and it sounds like that's not the case for you. Either that or your front suspension setup is botched, are you getting any tearing or odd wear? Are you wearing the tire out at the very edge of it or in the portion of the tire you're on while trailing into a corner? How's your pressures and cold to hot increases?

suspension is set up, no issues there, no odd wear, no hot or cold tear either. but yea, the part that's worn is the part that you ride while trailing. not all the way to the edge, but right before (between edge and middle). i set hot temps at 32f 26r. i don't flip tires, maybe i should start. thanks for the input.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Veritas posted:

suspension is set up, no issues there, no odd wear, no hot or cold tear either. but yea, the part that's worn is the part that you ride while trailing. not all the way to the edge, but right before (between edge and middle). i set hot temps at 32f 26r. i don't flip tires, maybe i should start. thanks for the input.

I'm not sure if you can flip fronts or not, check your tire guy.

I would recommend making sure you're super consistent on the brakes while upright before you get too deep into trail braking...I've seen a fair number of riders who focus extensively on trailing the brakes deep at relatively high risk of crashing while leaving a lot of time on the table on corner entrance because of inconsistency because they're not maximizing upright braking yet. It'll also be cheaper because you'll never wear out the center of the tires before the side.

This is a total stab in the dark so forgive me if I'm way off base here but it sounds like you focus on carrying a lot of speed into the corners rather than a lot of speed out of the corners, which is backwards in terms of dropping laptimes as quick as possible. I don't care much about braking because it only really pays off in passing. You're never going to make up time slowing down until you're looking at being 1/10ths rather than seconds off the front runners. Most people go deep and hard on the brakes and their lap times go up because they're not focusing on the exits first. Work your corners backwards...start with the exits first and work your way back to the apex and then entrance, because with a handful of exceptions, exit is where the time is made, and it'll give you some incredible options on entrance to get around people.

And again: sorry if I'm repeating the basics here but I figure if it can't help you it might help someone else.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
actually that makes sense. i'm kinda weak on getting on the gas on exit. still trying to break some habits i formed while racing the 250, which was ALL corner speed. then again, i was never scared of that bike. you could whack the throttle wide open mid corner and shoot right out. thanks, it helps to hear other's points of view. :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up a new track bike this weekend.
1992 RS125

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Zool posted:

If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up a new track bike this weekend.
1992 RS125

Those look like they would be a ton of fun on the track. I was thinking of going that route until I found a super cheap SV. Still may end up going that route because they look awesome.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How are the spares availability for the rs125?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh god someone is getting the ball rolling on sumo trackdays at this place, which is around 1hr away from me

:dance:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

How are the spares availability for the rs125?

http://www.rscycles.com/

Not great, most parts are available but expensive.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Soo, is sexy time at the go-kart track eligible for posting here or is this more of a thread for people going fast on "real" tracks? Just checking in advance, we don't start until May on account of all this white poo poo still outside.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

1992 RS125

gently caress that thing is gorgeous and the price jesus.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Soo, is sexy time at the go-kart track eligible for posting here or is this more of a thread for people going fast on "real" tracks? Just checking in advance, we don't start until May on account of all this white poo poo still outside.

Look at the first post, it's a kart track. :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

gently caress that thing is gorgeous and the price jesus.

We always have the coolest bikes for when you come visit...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Zool posted:

Look at the first post, it's a kart track. :)

Derp. :downs:

Oh well, in my defence that track basically looks like a "real" track compared to the small one we have.

Track length 880 metres, long straight 166 m, 6 m wide.

Four groups:

Green, no passing. Relaxed pace.
Yellow, passing only on the long straight. A little faster than green.
Blue, passing on all straights. Quite a bit faster than yellow.
Red, passing everywhere except turn entries. Fast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

We always have the coolest bikes for when you come visit...

One day I'll own cool bikes again :(

Although Zool it's totally not needed for you to injure yourself so I have something to ride :ohdear:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Derp. :downs:

Oh well, in my defence that track basically looks like a "real" track compared to the small one we have.

Track length 880 metres, long straight 166 m, 6 m wide.

Four groups:

Green, no passing. Relaxed pace.
Yellow, passing only on the long straight. A little faster than green.
Blue, passing on all straights. Quite a bit faster than yellow.
Red, passing everywhere except turn entries. Fast.
At our local kart track the groups were rentals, shifters, and supermoto's. The passing rules were...try not to take anyone out.

Due to legal issues the current groups are rentals, rentals, and rentals :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aww what happened? :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Aww what happened? :(

They got caught up in the legal battle over the big track expanding, and apparently got caught without all the permits needed to run anything other than rental karts.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Done with my first trackday(s) on the MV and had a blast. 4 hours each day on Friday and Saturday at Sepang. There were 3 groups running (A,B&C) with each group getting 4 x 20 minute sessions each day.

I picked the slowest group (C) and think i'll stick to the same for next month's session as well. There's less pressure which gave me time to get used to the bike at my own pace and also get my body used to riding on track again as it's been a year and a half since my last time on track.

On both days i did the first 3 of the 4 sessions, skipping the last ones as i didn't want to overdo things. Weather on the first day (3-7pm) was partly cloudy which was good, the second day's sessions was 9am-1pm and the sun was out in full force for that authentic Sepang experience. Not sure what the track temps were but the readout in my car was showing 37 degrees Celcius when i was leaving.

Riding impressions of the MV: Bloody awesome. I had more confidence in the bike after the first day than i had after 3 years of riding the 2008 10r. This was more a bonding session with the bike, so the suspension was still on the road settings and i wasn't riding hard enough to need adjustments. The bike is very stable with hardly any headshake. Power-wise she's punchy, even out of the slow turns. Definately much punchier than the 10R (i think the gearing's shorter). Whatever the revs just give it a handful and it goes, no waiting around for the power to build up. I wasn't wringing it out everywhere as the bike only has about 700 miles on it, but i did take it up to the rev limiter now and then. Only problem i had was getting some false neutrals during downshifts at the end of the some of the straights, but i'm putting that down to my not being positive enough with the lever (needs a stomp, not a tap. Can't wait to switch over to reverse shifting).

Also first time i'm running with 200/55 tires, bloody hell these things can lean over much further than i'm prepared to.

All in all i'm very happy and will be signing up for next month's sessions. These are the guys who run the trackdays, just in case there are any other goons in the region who want to join the fun:

http://www.sbrtrackdays.com/

I'm waiting for the photographer to get the pictures up on his website so that i can pick up a few action shots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm so glad someone is out there thrashing one of those around the track :allears:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Hey Ganjamon, our buddy with the s3 from MSRH wants to know if you're going on the 29th?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

invision posted:

Hey Ganjamon, our buddy with the s3 from MSRH wants to know if you're going on the 29th?

I think I'm going to be doing the big ride the day before so probably have to give this one a miss... I am keen to get out there again though so I may have a change of heart who knows.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

I think I'm going to be doing the big ride the day before so probably have to give this one a miss... I am keen to get out there again though so I may have a change of heart who knows.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to pass on the 29th. Hopefully I'll get a few more in this year though. Have you rode with any of the other organizations out here?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I DIY'd some frame sliders:

There is another trackday scheduled this Friday 4/13 at the Ridge! There is a 3day weekend going May 4-6th, too. I can't wait :D Especially with Zool's new RS...

The better photog has posted his pics:
http://photos.juniormonkey.com/2-Fast/032412-The-Ridge/Yamaha-Polka-Dot-R6/22247578_xjWHQc#!i=1777555676&k=mTFktLM

So someone posted on my youtube that I shouldn't clutch up-shift. Whats the harm in clutch up-shifting?

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 9, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Gullous posted:

I DIY'd some frame sliders:

There is another trackday scheduled this Friday 4/13 at the Ridge! There is a 3day weekend going May 4-6th, too. I can't wait :D Especially with Zool's new RS...

The better photog has posted his pics:
http://photos.juniormonkey.com/2-Fast/032412-The-Ridge/Yamaha-Polka-Dot-R6/22247578_xjWHQc#!i=1777555676&k=mTFktLM

So someone posted on my youtube that I shouldn't clutch up-shift. Whats the harm in clutch up-shifting?

Wastes time.

(seriously)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those sliders are too long my friend. Those are going to bust right off. Make them shorter, fairing length or just a little bit longer. You want them to actually protect the frame, not just snap off in a crash.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

invision posted:

Wastes time.

(seriously)

Yea, that's what I figured. At the pace I'm running it seems like unnecessary stress.

I'll trim them down spiff. I set the length such that the case wouldn't strike, but extracting a bolt from the frame doesn't sound fun.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Z3n posted:

I'm so glad someone is out there thrashing one of those around the track :allears:

You'll be glad to know there were a total of 3 F4s out there, including mine, out of the 90 bikes or so (of which i'd say easily 30-40% were ducatis).

This is me looking a little looser on the bike, i started off all stiff-armed and stiff-assed.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gullous posted:

Yea, that's what I figured. At the pace I'm running it seems like unnecessary stress.

It's no added stress on the transmission at all :). It takes a little getting used to but all you need to do is preload the shifter (doesn't take much pressure!) a moment before you need to shift, barely roll off the throttle and it'll snick right up into the next gear with no fuss.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous posted:

I'll trim them down spiff. I set the length such that the case wouldn't strike, but extracting a bolt from the frame doesn't sound fun.

A real case cover is the only thing that is going to do that, really. They're a bit costly, but you get burly thick metal to replace or add to your cases with that don't grind down or puncture at the slightest 80 MPH off...

You could possibly form one yourself. Could be a fun project. Need them for SV too.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Frame sliders are evil. Number one easiest way to destroy your bike in a crash. They love to catch the pavement and send your bike cartwheeling, at which point it's usually yardsale time. If you look at almost any AMA bike, you'll notice that it doesn't have traditional sliders on it. They are almost always cut short enough so that they're behind the fairing for support, or cut so they are flush with the bodywork. No tumbling that way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Frame sliders are evil. Number one easiest way to destroy your bike in a crash. They love to catch the pavement and send your bike cartwheeling, at which point it's usually yardsale time. If you look at almost any AMA bike, you'll notice that it doesn't have traditional sliders on it. They are almost always cut short enough so that they're behind the fairing for support, or cut so they are flush with the bodywork. No tumbling that way.

They don't have traditional sliders because they don't give a gently caress if they wad a bike.

While close cut ones are better (and how I run mine on trackbikes) for general use, sliders are awesome.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
You'd be surprised at how tight pro racing budgets are nowadays. Project 1 Atlanta won the freaking Daytona 200 and they can't even afford to run at Road Atlanta, of all places, next weekend. But even ignoring budgets (admittedly, crashing a bike isn't a huge dent on a team's budget), if a rider goes down and destroys a bike, that's just more mayhem in the garage for the mechanics to try to get the thing rideable again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

You'd be surprised at how tight pro racing budgets are nowadays. Project 1 Atlanta won the freaking Daytona 200 and they can't even afford to run at Road Atlanta, of all places, next weekend. But even ignoring budgets (admittedly, crashing a bike isn't a huge dent on a team's budget), if a rider goes down and destroys a bike, that's just more mayhem in the garage for the mechanics to try to get the thing rideable again.

This is true. However, in my experience, it's rare that a frame slider causes a bike to flip. Most frame sliders bend when they dig in because they're just not that strong, if it was going to flip, chances are it's because something a lot more sturdy caught the ground (like the tires, the forks, the swingarm, etc). Bent frame sliders suck but I have yet to see one cause a bike to flip...and even if it did, you'd have the same problem with hard mounted footpegs.

• Locked thread