Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?
So I promised pictures and here they are:

http://i.imgur.com/eqtzG.jpg - This is my favorite memory from this game, "YOU HORSE DICK!!!" I didn't get a shot of the finished wall, unfortunately, but basically it was just like what they have there except I didn't put a gate in the layer I'm working on. Note the ??? over their head - in this game you don't know a person's name initially, so they didn't even know who I was. I was just some anonymous rear end in a top hat who came around, demanded their gate keys so I could rob them and when they didn't pay up sealed them in their own fort. loving great.

http://i.imgur.com/S3Wo2.jpg - More from that particular event. They've actually got a battering ram inside with them...but none of them is strong enough to actually use it. Whoops.

http://i.imgur.com/1y9UM.jpg - Came across a newbie doing some gathering on the riverbank. Hopped out to roll him and he stole my boat. I told him I was just trying to help, waited until he came back so I could do so, and proceeded to roll him and take my boat back. That's him running off with no clothes after I threw everything he owned in the river.

http://i.imgur.com/c2xv7.jpg - Anyone read Russian and can translate what they're saying here?

http://i.imgur.com/ueN0r.jpg - This is what I was saying about robbing someone while they're in the house. The best they could do is shout threats and try to block the door.

http://i.imgur.com/3ROFu.jpg - People dealt with being robbed in a calm, mature fashion.

http://i.imgur.com/kafPG.jpg - I even had warning signs about me. All the robbing skillz, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

http://i.imgur.com/c2xv7.jpg - Anyone read Russian and can translate what they're saying here?

Insults. The first GTranslates to "go gently caress yourself".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

scamtank posted:

The second is "I don't give a gently caress". Russian is a very eloquent language.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

scamtank posted:

Literally "go to the cock". I love Russian profanity.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So back in 2009, well before I was a Goon, I played a lot of video games with people from the 4chan /v/ board. One of these games was Fallout Online, or FOnline. Some of you guys might have heard about this before, but basically there was a Fallout Online 2238. It was cool, and made by a bunch of crazy Russian people. It was a hardcore, PvP masochism simulator where you would repeatedly be killed by people in power armor spamming Cyrillic text at you. It was great fun. I'm not talking about that Fallout Online.

Months (or maybe years) later, now in 2009, there was an english version of Fallout Online released. I think it's called 2238. It was still the early beta or alpha, and was made by people from No Mutants Allowed. They had more or less lifted the entire Russian version, hosed around with it a little bit, and made a "game". It was basically a port of Fallout 2 with Fallout 1's assets thrown into it, so you could travel up and down California, killing mutants and driving Vtols, all the while enjoying yourself with the lovely community from No Mutants Allowed. Naturally, given its roots as a Russian griefing simulator, and being ported/converted by the hilariously incompetent shitlords at No Mutants Allowed, it was incredibly broken and probably still is.

So a couple hundred people from 4chan download this game and decide to start playing it. I was one of them, and we pretty quickly formed a gang called the Absolute Darlings, and referred to each other as "bro" at all times because that was the thing on 4chan. Now, we pretty quickly learned that this version of FOnline was supposed to be an in character roleplaying game where everyone pretended they were the lone wanderer from Fallout 2 or something like that, so, naturally, we decided to murder absolutely everyone because PvP was allowed everywhere. To get an idea of just how badly we were loving people over, take this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JhMHhdKy2U (I get murdered at about 1:00 minute into it :))

We would basically set up firing lines at the entrances to towns and would just gib anyone that tried to set foot inside. For hours. We'd travel around the map setting up firing lines, killing people, looting their bodies, and then murdering them again when they tried to come back into town to get their stuff again. This went on for weeks. It got to the point where the admins would start just remote killing all of us because literally nobody could get inside of towns.

People got loving livid, especially since we would go troll the IRC channel for the game. People would constantly insult us, especially since we claimed that Fallout 3 was the best installment in the series. This quickly got us a lot more hate, especially since whenever someone tried to HONOR DUEL us or something we would just show up in gangs and kill whoever it was. Eventually the people from NMA and other websites formed up gangs of their own to try to take us on, but all of their efforts fell short because of one thing.

We basically figured out how to grab an excellent loadout as soon as we spawned from random mob loot, letting us almost immediately get back into the fight. We started having to do this (instead of legitimately trying to craft/buy weapons) because the admins literally gave the location of our "secret" hideout away by marking its location on the map. So we usually needed to have people at our empty base at all times just to kill anyone that tried to show up. The admins were eventually forced to take any mob weapon drops like that out of the game, which didn't stop us from killing everyone because we just made melee characters. At that point they made death penalties that would cripple anyone that died, which didn't matter because we just made melee/doctor that were almost unplayable outside of PvP. Again, the admins tried to fix this by making insane cooldowns on the cripple deaths, and at that point almost everyone stopped playing the game.

By the time the Absolute Darlings and Bros died down, there were dozens of threads on the NMA forums complaining about us, the term "bro" in game could get anyone shot on sight by pubbies, and almost everyone had quit because we had made it unplayable. The only way to get weapons was by spergishly crafting them, PvP was virtually impossible, and any death would completely gently caress you over. I think people kept on playing it, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately NMA wiped the Fallout Online forum so all of our efforts are now lost to the sands of time.

All I can find now are a few miscellaneous websites with people complaining about us.

quote:

-Avoid anyone with "Bro" or "Goon" in their names at all cost.

-If you see people fighting in towns, run, most likely it isnt a personal fight, many times per hour Goons and Bros are raiding towns, killing everyone and everything in their site.

quote:

I can't stand these 4chan idiots who call them selves Bro's, if you are not one of them they kill you on site.

quote:

there is nothing for newbies that could help..i mean i've been a newbie myself for days yet i am not progressing AT all.

:allears:

On the other hand, I still have this screenshot I think is great. A few weeks after we started playing Fallout Online, a thread got made here, and suddenly there was a pretty large Goon guild.

RIP Goons.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I was also introduced to the russian fallout online through /v/ around that time. I remember in order to get a gun you would have to walk around New Reno until you happened upon an instance of AI guys shooting each other. When the fighting was done you would just loot the bodies. Then we would just roll into town and murder any russians or goons we found. Mostly russians since the goons tended to be organized and armed. It got to the point where they would walk around saying bro? bro? to try and root us out. Some time later I think they just perma banned all U.S. IPs. The game had gone to poo poo and was more like a conventional MMO by then and not the wild west badassery that it once was.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Leaf Lock posted:

I was also introduced to the russian fallout online through /v/ around that time. I remember in order to get a gun you would have to walk around New Reno until you happened upon an instance of AI guys shooting each other. When the fighting was done you would just loot the bodies. Then we would just roll into town and murder any russians or goons we found. Mostly russians since the goons tended to be organized and armed. It got to the point where they would walk around saying bro? bro? to try and root us out. Some time later I think they just perma banned all U.S. IPs. The game had gone to poo poo and was more like a conventional MMO by then and not the wild west badassery that it once was.

Are you sure you're not mixing the Ruskie version or the American one? The American one was 2238, and I don't think any foreigners ever had a solid foothold in the Russian version. I can understand the IP ban though, because god drat MMO playing Russians are bloodthirsty.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
The menu was in russian so we had to have a guide in order to create a character.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Leaf Lock posted:

The menu was in russian so we had to have a guide in order to create a character.

Huh. People ended up going BRO? to try to root out /v/ on the American version, too. Everyone also described the Russian version as basically being a meatgrinder where the only thing that really happened was Russians in power armor melting everyone else.

It's too bad that the same thing happened to The Life After that happened to 2238. I always thought that the Russian version stayed a crazy murder simulator even after the American one got shitted up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How does saying bro root out nerds?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cojawfee posted:

How does saying bro root out nerds?

In 2009 saying Bro on 4chan was a popular thing for some reason. If you can make out the blurry rear end text in the terrible gameplay video I linked they start spamming "GIGGILY IS A BRO" after I got killed by friendly fire. So Bro ended up being the catch all term they had for people from 4chan, like how Goons referred to people from SA. I'm not sure if they tried spamming goon? goon? in chat to see if anyone would respawn. I don't think they ever figured any of us out by their chat spam either since we coordinated through a steam group.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Giggily posted:

:words: about Goons in Fallout Online

See, this is why "hardcore" games are generally terrible, because they're so prone to griefing. Game designers come in with the greatest intentions for these super gritty, hyper-realistic games where there's permadeath or full PVP thinking it'll appeal to hardcore crowds but in reality it opens the game up to griefing like this. Then you have this big cat and mouse game where developers have to nerf it to the ground in order to stop griefing.

Basically, thank-you to goons for locking pubbies in their own bases and creating firing squads in terrible MMOs :3:

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I'd be down for that. Those stories sound incredible.

Stuntman posted:

Second me for that. Tried H&H solo a while back, grinding up to combat skills while simultaneously managing everything else sucked.

Cool stuff. Whenever you guys would like to get coordinated let me know - I've got AIM and Skype available. I'd PM you but I don't have plat, so instead just drop me a line on AIM at ludacrisgibs@aim.com or on Skype at ludacrisgibs.

Naturally anyone else who wants to come along is welcome as well! There's not really any limit to compound or village size, you just keep expanding and incorporating more space as necessary. The more people we have, the better defended we are.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Cool stuff. Whenever you guys would like to get coordinated let me know - I've got AIM and Skype available. I'd PM you but I don't have plat, so instead just drop me a line on AIM at ludacrisgibs@aim.com or on Skype at ludacrisgibs.

Naturally anyone else who wants to come along is welcome as well! There's not really any limit to compound or village size, you just keep expanding and incorporating more space as necessary. The more people we have, the better defended we are.

Out of curiosity, is there anything preventing you from surrounding a persons house/fort/whatever with your own gateless fence?

Edit - Horse Dick!

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anything preventing you from surrounding a persons house/fort/whatever with your own gateless fence?

Edit - Horse Dick!

Basically the way walls work: a wall is a rectangle with four posts on the corners. The cornerposts, especially the first one you build to start the wall, are expensive in terms of both resources and time. Gates are also costly. Wall pieces aren't. After you're finished with a wall, you're supposed to lock the cornerposts so people can't build further wall pieces off them and do exactly what I did to those newbies. People forget to do this surprisingly often.

So while it's possible to start a completely new wall and lock someone in their house, you'd need a pretty fair amount of alone time to do it. It's easier to just find someone who forgot to lock their wall down.

Also I'm far too nice to do that. :shobon:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Yeah, I'm definitely joining in on the Haven & Hearth fuckery. I've been wanting to play a game like that for a while now.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I've downloaded the application but my computer is going crazy with "potential threats and exploits" while downloading and installing...

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Yar The Pirate posted:

I've downloaded the application but my computer is going crazy with "potential threats and exploits" while downloading and installing...

The official client is clean but I wouldn't recommend using it anyway since it kind of sucks. Try this one instead. And drop me a line on AIM or Skype if you'd like some help getting started.

e: Oh, quick note for those of you who are just starting - when you're in character creation, talk to the sage instead of using the ladder to actually enter the game. The sage will ask for a secret - tell them "beer and chicken". This way we'll all end up in the same area, unless I'm horrifically mistaken.

Ludicrous G. Gibs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 6, 2012

Hugmonster
Mar 25, 2012
I used to play a mud called nodeka back when reading text and running scripts were more fun than helping Mario save yet another princess. I was terrible at the game and picked a class that no one ever played. The only redeeming thing about my character was that for 5 minutes I could lock down a square with aoe silence. On slow days, you could go to the town fountain where everyone idled/hearthed to and screw up lots of self buffing macros. It'd be like aoe silencing the buffing cave in lineage2.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Naturally anyone else who wants to come along is welcome as well!

I'm totally in. I used to play HnH a lot but quit once my friends stopped. It's just no fun at all when you're alone. Hopefully this'll be interesting.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Naturally anyone else who wants to come along is welcome as well!

How much would international lag screw me up if I joined up? I live in Australia and average somewhere in the region of 400-500ms for most American/European servers.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Way back in the day when Jedi Outcast was released, it had a pretty busy multiplayer scene. The beautiful thing about this game (in a griefing capacity) was that it was possible to modify your own client so that you could use console commands in-game for yourself in multiplayer, regardless of the settings or programming of the host.

So you could do things like turning on friendly fire, which let you use force powers on anyone, friend or foe. And removing certain multiplayer restrictions created for balance.

So what we did was, we removed the speed limit on force grip. See, force grip in multiplayer was by default set to only let you move people at a slow walking pace. You could drop people off ledges, but it took a full force meter just move someone 20 feet or so, during which time they could frantically act to stop you. Another feature of the engine was that people would maintain whatever momentum granted to them by an explosion or a push or whatever so long as they were flying through the air.

Well, with the restriction removed you could move people as fast as you could move the mouse. And when you released them, they'd keep moving. So with force grip maxed out you could literally fling people hundreds of yards through the air, straight up, across entire levels. With some modding of force push, you could increase it's effective range and force and you could literally throw people through the world geometry where they would stick until they died and respawned or disconnected.

And with a range extension tacked onto on force grip, you could do this from across the level. The further you were from someone, the faster they would move with your mouse movements through the air.

Oh, and the last bit, you didn't get kill credit for dropping someone off a ledge. It said they suicided. So there was literally no way to detect who was doing it.

Me and a few buddies cleared entire 20 plus person servers doing this. We convinced one guy that it was his computer (he was hosting the game) and that he needed to reinstall from scratch. We'd throw everyone from both teams everywhere so that no one could nail down who was doing it, and throw each other so that we didn't stand out.

There were so many things you could do in that game to completely gently caress everyones world up. Other than force gripping people I'd have to say the most fun thing to do was spawning AI bosses who were hostile to everyone. No one knew what to do when playing CTF and suddenly there were 10 hostile end bosses around both cap points. Or just crashing the server by spawning boatloads of stormtroopers.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Alright folks, I've been reading this thread and watching the vids and I'm inspired. I'm really taken by the idea of messing with people in a competitive setting, but I am absolute horseshit at FPSes. Any recommendations for good games to get my griefing feet wet?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Konig posted:

Alright folks, I've been reading this thread and watching the vids and I'm inspired. I'm really taken by the idea of messing with people in a competitive setting, but I am absolute horseshit at FPSes. Any recommendations for good games to get my griefing feet wet?

It's always fun to start with games where you can grief people by just existing. Obnoxious avatars in Second Life and just standing near people talking or roleplaying can send them into a blind rage. MY IMMERSION. :qq: This also works in City of Heroes. One of the goons who plays gets reported just for showing up to a costume contest and doing nothing. Literally.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Konig posted:

If you've got Garry's Mod on steam, load up and try Trouble in Terrorist Town. I won't explain anything because not knowing the ridiculous pretend rules (and playing the game as any ordinary person would) will make people got nuts at you.

If not, Team Fortress 2 is free to play and not a bad place to start, though you're unlikely to make people genuinely froth at the mouth and most "griefs" are pretty much beating dead horses.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 6, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

The Supreme Court posted:

If you've got Garry's Mod on steam, load up and try Trouble in Terrorist Town. I won't explain anything because not knowing the ridiculous pretend rules (and playing the game as any ordinary person would) will make people got nuts at you.

If not, Team Fortress 2 is free to play and not a bad place to start, though you're unlikely to make people genuinely froth at the mouth and most "griefs" are pretty much beating dead horses.

League of Legends works well for griefing by existing. People go nuts if you don't know how to play.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

This also works in City of Heroes. One of the goons who plays gets reported just for showing up to a costume contest and doing nothing. Literally.

To be fair that's because goons there have spent years building up a reputation as horrible immersion-breaking people who arrive at events for the sole purpose of disrupting them.

Also showing up at what amounts to fashion shows looking like this:

The reports and tears are well-earned.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The Supreme Court posted:

TTT is pretty hilarious to grief on. I don't own Counterstrike: Source so everybody is just covered with the pink and black checkerboard, but it was still playable. Everybody takes it so seriously that it's just ridiculous.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
The worst part of that CoH picture is that there's an...outline.

But that probably just means more tears.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Posted by Walks in the TF2 thread, this isn't very hard griefing but it's funny. Dude's completely oblivious to the enemy in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62pnmQnJl0

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tempest_56 posted:

To be fair that's because goons there have spent years building up a reputation as horrible immersion-breaking people who arrive at events for the sole purpose of disrupting them.

Also showing up at what amounts to fashion shows looking like this:

The reports and tears are well-earned.

Ahh CoH costume trolling, how I miss thee. I used to have a big rear end character just like that named "ILookLikeThisIRL" that I'd take to costume contests and spam local broadcast with.

Influence was so easy to make in that game, I threw costume contests all the time and would give out 50 million to someone who didn't even line up, who was in a plain or flat out ugly costume. People would rage and rage and rage over wasting their time. Then I'd go spend a half hour in the mission maker thing and farm back another 100 million and do it all over agian.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6lkPhIcBY

WWE 2012 video where a man becomes offended by a competitors character name.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

EA Sports posted:

Holy poo poo, it seriously takes over 7 and a half minutes to start playing? I think these guys were griefing themselves long before race was brought into it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

EA Sports posted:

ok this was mildly funny until the walk-out scene where they show the cross lit by lightning as the words 'ETHNIC CLEANSING' scroll by and I lost it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Jedi Outcast modding

Godsdamnit I always knew there was something fishy about that! :argh: Good times though, being mid-2v1 and suddenly someone in your little tango is flung into the nearest abyss.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My favorite jedi knight gimmick was picking the imperial officer skin, running around with the charged pistol and maxed out jedi mind trick, turning invisible and shooting people in the back of the head when they were distracted.

My name of course being John Wilkes Booth

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Years ago, I used to play Puzzle Pirates, which was a goofy little MMO where you were little lego pirates that did puzzles for things.

You could host tournaments for some of the puzzles, one of which was Drinking. Drinking was sort of a mix between Chess and Go, with a retarded luck aspect mixed in and a scoring system that didn't always make sense, and it took the longest of any of the puzzles you could hold tournaments for. So I'd create a tournament during primetime with enough Pieces of Eight in the prize pool to trigger the automatic serverwide broadcast and give it no entry free so anybody could play. Then I'd set it for maximum complexity, best 2 of 3 rounds, and not to allow custom glasses. Hundreds of people would sign up for this tournament, including newbies who just saw a seemingly big number of cash as the prize and that it was free, and it would make for an enormous tournament bracket, which wouldn't advance until every match of the previous round had been completed. The tournaments would run for over 12 hours and the winner would get some paltry sum for their time due to the number of entrants.

I would constantly get messages ranging from people trying to recommend more appropriate settings because they honestly believed I didn't know I was loving them all over to people who had been playing for hours and finally realized the joke was on them. I hosted enough of those tournaments that after a week or two, the devs reworked the entire tournament system so it was harder to drag out tournaments for more than a few hours.

I eventually got banned multiple times, but my ban reason was never for breaking the rules. It was always for finding loopholes to grief people with and then laugh in their faces until finally I got enough of a reputation that they used the nebulous "violating the spirit of the game" rule.

I also kept a list of known idiots in the public news section of my Inn, which was one of the few player owned buildings on the entire server at the time. Pubbies would rage at me so hard and then get banned for repeated abusive language. :allears:

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

TheRagamuffin posted:

Holy poo poo, it seriously takes over 7 and a half minutes to start playing? I think these guys were griefing themselves long before race was brought into it.

You can skip all of that, but clearly The Black Man Eliminator did not want to.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EA Sports posted:

I knew this video would rule the second this frame flashed by:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
hahaha I didn't even notice the Barnacle Jim there.

• Locked thread