Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

I'll play:

I have no idea what Legolas is aiming at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Stellar Curiosity posted:

:v:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And this

I meant, why did they let this be made public looking like that. :v:
Oh man I had totally forgotten about Keira Knightley's digital boob-job on those.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh man I had totally forgotten about Keira Knightley's digital boob-job on those.

For people wondering:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

More:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Alhazred posted:

There's also this:

I never realized the arrowheads were painted...
The gently caress? It looks so jarring to me now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

For people wondering:

This is great. Now I want to go through every poster Natalie Portman has ever been on to see if anything similar has happened.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Bows are iconic images in general, and look really cool on posters. It's kind of a cliche now, but it works.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I could see that happening.

I'm thinking it plays out more like Bip...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A lot of posters where the hero is firing arrows, but what about when the hero is the arrow's target?

(Though the weapon is actually a crossbow.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Stellar Curiosity posted:

I'll play:

I really like the pose in the Brave poster. With the others it looks like a a generic "I am going to shoot something" but with The Brave poster the character is posing in such a way that conveys fear and, well, bravery. You can look at the poster and wonder what has got the character behaving like that while knowing that she has her bow and arrow and is ready to take whateve the challenege is full on.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
edit: i am an idiot.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 7, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Literally not even 10 posts ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It amuses me to no end that the Keira Knightly photoshop boobjob is the only thing that people tend to remember about that movie. Wasn't it supposed to be one of the big summer movies in whichever year it was released in?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The vast majority of these posters have nothing in common besides someone holding a bow and arrow.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Noxville posted:

The vast majority of these posters have nothing in common besides someone holding a bow and arrow.

Up until the Narnia post, it was pretty much entirely "person aiming arrow roughly toward viewer and looking intense."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Post your favorite longbows or the archery pics you got.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Post your favorite longbows or the archery pics you got.

Hey, here's a poster I kinda dig!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Vagabundo posted:

It amuses me to no end that the Keira Knightly photoshop boobjob is the only thing that people tend to remember about that movie. Wasn't it supposed to be one of the big summer movies in whichever year it was released in?

Well, I liked it a lot at the time. It was really cool-looking, though, and at the time I saw it (at a drive-in theater, which really enhanced it) Clive Owen was my FAVORITE ACTOR EVER. It has a stellar cast, led by Owen, Knightley, Mads Mikkelsen, Joel Edgerton, Ray Winstone, Stephen Dillane, Stellan Skarsgard, and Til Schweiger. I'd like to revisit it some time to see if it holds up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Well, I liked it a lot at the time. It was really cool-looking, though, and at the time I saw it (at a drive-in theater, which really enhanced it) Clive Owen was my FAVORITE ACTOR EVER. It has a stellar cast, led by Owen, Knightley, Mads Mikkelsen, Joel Edgerton, Ray Winstone, Stephen Dillane, Stellan Skarsgard, and Til Schweiger. I'd like to revisit it some time to see if it holds up.

It made a fair amount of money world-wide ($50million in the US, but made back its budget internationally, taking in $150) so quite a lot of people obviously went to see it. But do people actually really remember it outside of the whole spot of bother with Knightly's breasts? It doesn't even get brought up in any other context either.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

With all the archery posters, I'm surprised (well, not really) this one wasn't included...

Edit: here, have a painted foreign version as well...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 7, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
More adventures of Graphic Designer and Boss!

:clint: So what have you got for me today?

:) Well, the movie's about Jason Statham who has to protect this young girl who knows the code to a very important safe. This is what I came up with:

:clint: What is this? This tells me nothing. Some guy is walking with some girl somewhere but don't worry, potential audience: They're safe! See the man even has a gun! No, I want people to know it's an action movie.

:what: Well, I guess this would make it more... obvious:

:clint: Hrmph... Better. Audiences love having a gun pointed at them and/or their crotch, but look at that title.

:raise: What about it?

:clint: It's sideways! Nobody's gonna be able to read that! Change it!

:what: Well... How about this?

:clint: The girl.

:confused: What about the girl?

:clint: There's a little girl in my goddamn action movie, that's what. No teen aged boy is gonna want to see an action movie starring a little Asian girl! Why not just put Statham in a tutu and have him fight the Snuggle bear army! Get rid of her!

:( But sir, she has the code! It's an important part of the plo...

:clint: No, gently caress that. They have the code now.

:confused: They have the code? But they have the safe! That doesn't make any sen...

:clint: gently caress it, Statham can crack the code. He's the key, isn't he? Safes use keys right?

:( Sir, the taglines are just complicating everyth...

:clint: JASON STATHAM. WITH A GUN.

:suicide: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 3, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure "tod sicher" is the tagline for the German poster. It means "Sure Death".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure "tod sicher" is the tagline for the German poster. It means "Sure Death".

Nah, it's the alternate German title. I'm pretty sure it means, 'Dead Certain'.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is a great post.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I really love this poster:

Just look at it. It's so simple, but there's so much to be derived from the overall tone, the colour scheme, Dafoe's body language, the understated lettering, the subtle off-white colouring and the tasteful thickness of it.

It reminds me off this poster, which I also really liked:

There's just something about these 'screencap' like posters that really get me into it.

This one's good too but it doesn't tell me much.

And this one on the other hand... terrible.

A picture taken with instagram of Dafoe casually walking away from his mountain cottage, hands in his pockets, as two children in a weird depth perspective melt into the soil.

Oh also there's a mystery or somesuch.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The expression on Jason's face is just "Wait how did it end up like this?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I thought it looked like he'd just realised he'd left that girl behind on one of the other posters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:suicide: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Well huh, the journey of the posters in this post made me go neutrally disinterested, to fairly intrigued and all the way to "would go out of my way to avoid watching".

Good job hypothetical movie poster executive.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Well, remember that the poster's don't replace each other, they supplement each other. While some of those posters will make you see Safe, the ones that you hate might make a more reluctant person see it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dissapointed Owl posted:

For people wondering:

But sir, she'd be a much less effective archer with....

I SAID GIVE HER SOME loving TITS JOHNSON!

A... Alright sir...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, is this for reals?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cabin in the Woods seems to be a weird case where the campaign improved due to the movie being on the shelf.

The first ones- eh, kinda funny, might be a goofy spoof:

Then it delayed forever, usually a bad thing for a movie, now there's this:

Now THAT'S attention-getting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cabin in the Woods seems to be a weird case where the campaign improved due to the movie being on the shelf.

The first ones- eh, kinda funny, might be a goofy spoof:

Now THAT'S attention-getting.

That's some Scream-worthy self awareness.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Yeah, that's the thing- I like Whedon's work and all, but I was thinking "Do we need another riff on horror movie conventions?"

But apparently it's a bit more complex than that, and the new poster conveys it's a bit weirder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If this is about you, when did the Chinese characters get put on the gun?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think the marketing for Cabin in the Woods gives away too much.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Die Laughing posted:

I think the marketing for Cabin in the Woods gives away too much.

Apparently the trailer only reveals early 1st act stuff, which just makes it seem like it must be an even crazier horror movie than I can imagine a Whedon flick to be.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

The campaign for Cabin in the Woods was so self aware that it probably at some point went down to the local pub and got pissed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

The campaign for Cabin in the Woods was so self aware that it probably at some point went down to the local pub and got pissed:

Is there any evidence that those two posters were actually released, and they're not just Photoshop jobs?