Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jay-Zeus posted:

Anyone in New England have any experience with running a stang year round as a daily driver? I live in atlantic canada, so that's a fair approximation. Winter tires are a must, I imagine, but how would it hold up to salt, snow and cold on a daily basis? It would be sitting outside and exposed to the elements (no garage).

I haven't test drove one yet (going tomorrow) but would like to know if anyone has been down this road.

I live in Calgary, and although the Mustang is my only car, I live right downtown so I have no need to be able to drive every single day. That being said, there's never been a situation where I've had much of a problem with it -- the things that keep me from driving in lovely winter conditions are all the other traffic and idiots, not the capabilities of my car.

I strongly advise winter tires and a block heater, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do the new Mustangs have more sensible block heaters? The '98 has this awful freeze plug thing that I've never gotten the motivation to install (especially since I've heard reports that it more often than not leaks). It doesn't even start complaining until it's below -20C, so that helps. Do the Maritimes ever get below -20C?

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
A few days this past winter were below -20° C, but no we (Atlantic) typically hover around -15° C. This winter was very mild and rarely like out in Alberta. We did get a handful of days that were around -25. We don't have the cold that out west does, but we have constant freeze/thaw cycles that are prime for rust. I'm also right on the coast so warmer seasons don't give much of a break. Any car I buy gets full yearly undercoating/rust prevention and regular washes.

How much difference would a block heater do for the longevity of the car? I've never had one before but a few people around use them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pulled the trigger on Friday, this is sooooooo~ much better than my 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage.

2012 V6 Premium with the manual transmission. Got tired of renting automatic Mustangs from the airport.

Edit: suck it winter-havers, temperature bottomed out at 40°F this year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BonzoESC posted:

Edit: suck it winter-havers, temperature bottomed out at 40°F this year.

I hope global warming makes your paradise unlivable! I will have the last laugh!

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Is there any particular reason why I would want a 2013 Mustang V6 instead of a 2012?

So far as I can tell they're basically the same, looks aside. There are a few manual base and base with performance pack 2012 cars still in my area, and I'm thinking about buying one. The Ford website suggests they're throwing a $3250 on the hood of the 2012 model in my area.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Got quoted $34,994 on a premium GT with track pack. Is there something scummy to look out for? Because another dealer had a base GT with brembo and recaro for 35,580. Do I go in and drop off a $500 deposit and come out with a guarantee at that price? They have to order it, I think a Grabber blue with track pack and nothing else would sit on a lot for a while.

Evil Bidness
Feb 26, 2004
Oh great, here comes a moron.
RE: trading in your car. Don't worry about numbers for trade or for sale. Do your research and come up with a difference that you can live with. This is the only number that matters to you as a consumer. Dealers don't like to discuss this number as it makes it difficult to obfiscate whether they are raping you or not.

I would always be willing to take a little less for my trade than KBB suggests because trading is awesome. This is why:

1. Only pay tax on difference, as oppose to entire purchase (different states make this more or less worthwhile)

2. If it is your only car, you don't have to worry about driving something else if you sell your car before you're ready to buy.

Also, you never have to pay MSRP and if you do, you're crazy.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Evil Bidness posted:

1. Only pay tax on difference, as oppose to entire purchase (different states make this more or less worthwhile)

Can you do that? Mine will be 35K, I'll put 7K down, then maybe get 12K on my trade in, so I'll be financing around 16K... do I expect to pay tax only on the 23K?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does anyone have experience with the Griggs Racing GR40 Street kit for the '99-'04?

I'm thinking about getting it, but comfort is very very important to me. I don't want it to feel like my Miata with basically solid springs did.

Also, because no one responded, trying again:

Krakkles posted:

Did the stock 2000 GT exhaust have an H pipe/crossover?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I have a new issue. In my engine bay there is a wire connected to battery that leads to my subwoofer. When I dont drive my car for weeks on end I usually connect a trickle charger to the battery to keep it fresh.

now I can not connect my trickle charger to the battery because the terminal has all this extra poo poo connected to it, and the aligator clip on the trickle charger is not big enough to bite the terminal.

Is there such thing as a battery terminal adaptor that can connect all my audio equipment to it AND have some sort of leader on it for a trickle charger to connect too?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Did the stock 2000 GT exhaust have an H pipe/crossover?

1999 - 04 came with H Pipe

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Interesting. I'm going to have to look around a bit more, then. Mine has the H pipe, and it seems ... louder than most. I'm not sure what's been done to it, but the PO said the exhaust was stock.

Not that I mind at all, but it sounds like a drat powerboat getting on the freeway. Which is awesome.

kalvick posted:

I have a new issue. In my engine bay there is a wire connected to battery that leads to my subwoofer. When I dont drive my car for weeks on end I usually connect a trickle charger to the battery to keep it fresh.

now I can not connect my trickle charger to the battery because the terminal has all this extra poo poo connected to it, and the aligator clip on the trickle charger is not big enough to bite the terminal.

Is there such thing as a battery terminal adaptor that can connect all my audio equipment to it AND have some sort of leader on it for a trickle charger to connect too?

I found this through google ("battery terminal multiple connections"), you'll have to pick out which one would work for you and whether you want to buy from here (probably not):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i256_battery-terminals.html

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 9, 2012

Evil Bidness
Feb 26, 2004
Oh great, here comes a moron.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Can you do that? Mine will be 35K, I'll put 7K down, then maybe get 12K on my trade in, so I'll be financing around 16K... do I expect to pay tax only on the 23K?

I can only speak for the tax laws in my state (PA) But yes, you would only pay taxes on the 23k.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I just test drove a 5.0 GT, wasn't really fun because you can't use any of the power without instantly going twice the speed limit. May as well just get a track dedicated car or bike since that's the only place you'd be able to legally have any fun with it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Interesting. I'm going to have to look around a bit more, then. Mine has the H pipe, and it seems ... louder than most. I'm not sure what's been done to it, but the PO said the exhaust was stock.

Not that I mind at all, but it sounds like a drat powerboat getting on the freeway. Which is awesome.

possible you have an aftermarket. the stock h-pipe has 4 cats I believe.

The H-pipe is a deep rumble noise, the X-pipe is a raspy noise. I dont think either or makes a difference in noise volume.
perhaps you have different mufflers? 2 chamber / 3 chamber / strait pass mufflers would make a huge difference in noise volume.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 9, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

possible you have an aftermarket. the stock h-pipe has 4 cats I believe.

The H-pipe is a deep rumble noise, the X-pipe is a raspy noise. I dont think either or makes a difference in noise volume.
perhaps you have different mufflers? 2 chamber / 3 chamber / strait pass mufflers would make a huge difference in noise volume.
I'll look for cats when I get home. It's definitely an H-pipe (visually verified, and the description matches the sound it makes), and I'm not sure about cats/mufflers, so I'll have to check.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Evil Bidness posted:

I can only speak for the tax laws in my state (PA) But yes, you would only pay taxes on the 23k.

Ahh, http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

California pays tax on the full price

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

hayden. posted:

I just test drove a 5.0 GT, wasn't really fun because you can't use any of the power without instantly going twice the speed limit. May as well just get a track dedicated car or bike since that's the only place you'd be able to legally have any fun with it.

It depends on the gears you get, the 3.55s or the 3.73s are going to be a lot of fun 10-80. The stock tune on the GT holds you back a bit until you hit somewhere around 2.5k rpms and then it unloads. One you go north of 4k it's a loving blast.

Trust me, I've had the car 18 months and haven't even gotten pulled over yet and I have a ton of fun with mine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, not that the older 4.6 GT is even on the same level, but it's still soundly illegal mid-third gear, and I have lots of fun with it and the only looks I've gotten from cops have been followed by "Man, that thing sounds nice!".

theuser
Jan 27, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Murder all niggers. Kill all faggots. Rape all cunts. Ron Paul 2012.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

theuser posted:

:what:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I found this through google ("battery terminal multiple connections"), you'll have to pick out which one would work for you and whether you want to buy from here (probably not):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i256_battery-terminals.html

I've got the stinger one on my car, works pretty well.

Another option is a battery that has both top and side posts, and you connect your aftermarket gear to the terminal your stock vehicle doesn't use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

theuser posted:

Oh hey how's that '70 Mustang?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh hey how's that '70 Mustang?
It was stolen by a gay black man.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It varies by state. Your avatar suggests you may be in California, in which case I'm pretty sure you don't get to deduct your trade-in value when computing sales tax on the new car. If your sales price is 35k, expect to pay tax on that amount.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Krakkles posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Griggs Racing GR40 Street kit for the '99-'04?

I'm thinking about getting it, but comfort is very very important to me. I don't want it to feel like my Miata with basically solid springs did.

Also, because no one responded, trying again:

That's about as race oriented as you can get in a street suspension. You'll remember your Miata as being kinda soft if you go with it. My anecdotal experience was a stripped out track only '98 Cobra with that suspension; basically the same chassis setup as the '99-'04.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

frozenphil posted:

That's about as race oriented as you can get in a street suspension. You'll remember your Miata as being kinda soft if you go with it. My anecdotal experience was a stripped out track only '98 Cobra with that suspension; basically the same chassis setup as the '99-'04.

Ah. What should I do instead, then? Just some Koni Yellows and bushings?

Basically I'd like it to handle as well as possible without being too uncomfortable. I like that I don't particularly have to slow down for most dips in the road right now :)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Ah. What should I do instead, then? Just some Koni Yellows and bushings?

Basically I'd like it to handle as well as possible without being too uncomfortable. I like that I don't particularly have to slow down for most dips in the road right now :)

isn't driver comfort about having some mushy springs?

if you get the torque arm with the griggs kit you are going to have to get some really stiff springs to prevent understeer.

From my conversation with Maximum Motorsports. the springs lb/rate in the front
and the rears should be the following....

With Torque Arm:
Front:250 Rear:42TA5 or 43TA7
Front:275 Rear:43TA7
Front:300 Rear:43TA7 (with BIG rear swaybar)

Without TA:
Front: 250 Rear: H&R Race or Super race
Front: 275 Rear: H&R Super race
Front: 300 Rear: 42TA5
Front: 325 Rear: 42TA5 or 43TA7
Front: 350 Rear: 43TA7 (or rear 225 Coil over)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am now the owner of a 2012 Mustang GT premium!! Black/black leather (with grabber blue stripe in the leather), 6sp manual, Shaker 500, Sync, etc. It's dirty and it's dark, otherwise I'd post a picture. Going to spend the weekend getting the windows tinted and cleaning it from tip to tip.

This is the window sticker:

Hammered the dealer for the better part of 2 hours and walked out the door satisfied with the price.

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 13, 2012

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
What did you end up paying? And where was this?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Treadwell Ford, Mobile, Alabama. Out the door with tax, tag and title at 31K and change.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Figured I'd start using the Mustang for my daily commute but our lovely Calgary weather decided to surprise me on the way home from work. In summary, this car is hilarious to drive in wet slushy/snowy weather.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7092/6926893750_fea20ab913_c.jpg

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised how bad the crash ratings are for the rear passengers considering there are no rear doors, therefore it should be stronger in that part of the car.

Ah just read the window sticker, no curtain airbags. That explains it.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

You Am I posted:

I'm surprised how bad the crash ratings are for the rear passengers considering there are no rear doors, therefore it should be stronger in that part of the car.

Just another reason to restrict the number of passengers to one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Figured I'd start using the Mustang for my daily commute but our lovely Calgary weather decided to surprise me on the way home from work. In summary, this car is hilarious to drive in wet slushy/snowy weather.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7092/6926893750_fea20ab913_c.jpg
That must be a party and a half. The dude who parks next to me at work decided that his Acura RSX was too much of a handful to drive in the snow and just left it there and took the bus.

You should come by and shame him for being less of a man.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Finally got around to getting a picture of my 2012 v6 premium, coming from nothing but secondhand 90s cars, this is such a huge step up in terms of everything that I can't stand it:

Sticker had it at 31 highway, which I doubted, but I took a road trip last week and it was pulling about 30.2 mpg at highway speeds. Sticker had it at 19 city, but I'm getting around 16 instead. I guess it evens out. Couldn't be happier.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I bought a thing:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Red Mustang best mustang :)

Took my new 2012 V6 Premium MT on its first road trip, it's waaaay nicer than my '97 Mirage was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

Red Mustang best mustang :)

Took my new 2012 V6 Premium MT on its first road trip, it's waaaay nicer than my '97 Mirage was.

I've driven mine a couple of hours already. The engine is so nice and quite up until if you are timid with it. Light years ahead from my 2008. But when you hammer down on the gas though its like "omgf where did that come from" (I got the 3.31 gears in the back). Its a hoot.