Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

EA Sports posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6lkPhIcBY

WWE 2012 video where a man becomes offended by a competitors character name.

Destruction does sound cooler then eliminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Indecisive posted:

Posted by Walks in the TF2 thread, this isn't very hard griefing but it's funny. Dude's completely oblivious to the enemy in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62pnmQnJl0

Okay, as much as I'd like to know, I have NO idea what is going on?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There's an enemy scout hanging out on the top of the light fixture. You can even make him out in the screen grab of the vid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Look at the very start of the video. That is a red scout in the blue base, and he jumps up to the light.

Ribbo
Jun 28, 2009

by T. Smith
In a similar style, here is another raging engineer running around wondering what has happened. I was the spy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItBbT8w1Jo

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

MageMage posted:

Okay, as much as I'd like to know, I have NO idea what is going on?

To explain to someone who doesn't know much about TF2, when an Engineer tries to make a building, it starts at 1 HP and that raises with its construction until it's finished being built. This means if someone can stay out of the engineer's sight they can break his things from any distance immediately after he tries to build.

And since guns in TF2 have perfect accuracy for the first shot every 1.25 seconds, just about any class can do it.

It can be really, really annoying since unlike damage to you, there's absolutely no indication where the shots are coming from. Your building just bursts into pieces.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 9, 2012

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Isn't that what you're supposed to do though? Or was his own teammate doing it to grief? I'd think being the enemy it would be advantageous to destroy the structure rather than let it stand.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Korgoth posted:

Isn't that what you're supposed to do though? Or was his own teammate doing it to grief? I'd think being the enemy it would be advantageous to destroy the structure rather than let it stand.

Yep. The griefing, if it really was griefing and not just a funny TF2 video, is that the sniper saw the scout and let him live. Also the engineer is an idiot.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Korgoth posted:

You're correct. The reason structures start at 1 HP is so that you can't build under duress or try and run away leaving a trail of buildings to soak up bullets. This video is funny because the engineer thinks hes safe but is too dense to see the scout in the rafters breaking anything he tries to make.

Edit: To clarify, the situation is a little unique because it isn't normal in TF2. It usually means a class ran far away from the actual fight to a distant corner where engineers think they can build safely to cause mischief.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 9, 2012

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
To be fair, he DID spy-check the sniper. He's not a COMPLETE idiot.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And the three Dead Ringer spies (the players who "die" and if you look carefully you can see their outlines until their cloak runs out) are there because it's a 2fort server and probably aren't in on the joke. Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't already two sentries in that intelligence room.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Commissar posted:

Yep. The griefing, if it really was griefing and not just a funny TF2 video, is that the sniper saw the scout and let him live. Also the engineer is an idiot.

No, the griefing was that the scout didn't kill him, as he could have easily done, and instead just sat out of sight blowing up everything he built to annoy him.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Perhaps it was the engineer who was griefing the scout. :aaaaa:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If you assume that the server has instant respawn (a pretty safe assumption), shooting the engineer's stuff is much more sound than shooting him. If you shoot the engineer, you inconvenience him for a few seconds and he'll be right back (and probably aware of where you are). If you shoot his stuff, from a spot he'll never look, you can tie him up for minutes. Especially if you can get a spy witchhunt going, you can divert people from the from the front, soften those defenses, and probably get a capture out of the deal while they're flailing around.
A lot of "griefing" seems to be indistinguishable from "playing intelligently."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, if you kill him, he gets a freeze-frame of the person who killed him and will see where you are. If you just keep blowing up his buildings, all he can do is fume impotently and rebuild unless he's smart enough (not likely) to look around or build somewhere else.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

zachol posted:

If you assume that the server has instant respawn (a pretty safe assumption), shooting the engineer's stuff is much more sound than shooting him. If you shoot the engineer, you inconvenience him for a few seconds and he'll be right back (and probably aware of where you are). If you shoot his stuff, from a spot he'll never look, you can tie him up for minutes. Especially if you can get a spy witchhunt going, you can divert people from the from the front, soften those defenses, and probably get a capture out of the deal while they're flailing around.
A lot of "griefing" seems to be indistinguishable from "playing intelligently."

'playing intelligently' is finding a server playing another drat map.

He's hiding in the enemy base being annoying instead of attempting to capture the flag. What part of that is not griefing?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Zaodai posted:

Years ago, I used to play Puzzle Pirates, which was a goofy little MMO where you were little lego pirates that did puzzles for things.

You could host tournaments for some of the puzzles, one of which was Drinking. Drinking was sort of a mix between Chess and Go, with a retarded luck aspect mixed in and a scoring system that didn't always make sense, and it took the longest of any of the puzzles you could hold tournaments for. So I'd create a tournament during primetime with enough Pieces of Eight in the prize pool to trigger the automatic serverwide broadcast and give it no entry free so anybody could play. Then I'd set it for maximum complexity, best 2 of 3 rounds, and not to allow custom glasses. Hundreds of people would sign up for this tournament, including newbies who just saw a seemingly big number of cash as the prize and that it was free, and it would make for an enormous tournament bracket, which wouldn't advance until every match of the previous round had been completed. The tournaments would run for over 12 hours and the winner would get some paltry sum for their time due to the number of entrants.

I would constantly get messages ranging from people trying to recommend more appropriate settings because they honestly believed I didn't know I was loving them all over to people who had been playing for hours and finally realized the joke was on them. I hosted enough of those tournaments that after a week or two, the devs reworked the entire tournament system so it was harder to drag out tournaments for more than a few hours.

I eventually got banned multiple times, but my ban reason was never for breaking the rules. It was always for finding loopholes to grief people with and then laugh in their faces until finally I got enough of a reputation that they used the nebulous "violating the spirit of the game" rule.

I also kept a list of known idiots in the public news section of my Inn, which was one of the few player owned buildings on the entire server at the time. Pubbies would rage at me so hard and then get banned for repeated abusive language. :allears:

Friend of mine got banned for "violating the spirit of the game". I helped him and one other person drop three warchests for blockades one right after the other. For those who never played you could fight for other group's islands but you had to declare your intent and pay a fee. These are supposed to be big all out brawls, but it was him and me on one tiny ship, and he had an accomplice on another ship. Also he dropped the warchests at a time that most people would be asleep when the battle started.

Everything this guy did, the devs started changing the "rules" around but he still would work around them. You couldn't drop a chest in the middle of the night anymore. They made it so your "Flag" (which is a group of crews) had to have a certain "prestige" level (which was higher the bigger you were) before you could drop a chest to keep him from doing the above. So he paid a bigger Flag to drop it for him. He used to pay people to come help man the ships, which was frowned upon at the time (eventually the developers added that as an in-game option.)

They never could pin him down for any one thing, so they finally just banned him with a "spirit of the game" as the reason. Back in the day, we used to just say "We're roleplaying PIRATES! These are PIRATEY things we're doing!" Nope, apparently you are not supposed to act like a pirate in the pirate game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

pw pw pw posted:

He's hiding in the enemy base being annoying instead of attempting to capture the flag. What part of that is not griefing?

He's keeping that engineer distracted and tied up, what part of that is not a valid strategy to help his team?

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

Dead Cow posted:

Friend of mine got banned for "violating the spirit of the game". I helped him and one other person drop three warchests for blockades one right after the other. For those who never played you could fight for other group's islands but you had to declare your intent and pay a fee. These are supposed to be big all out brawls, but it was him and me on one tiny ship, and he had an accomplice on another ship. Also he dropped the warchests at a time that most people would be asleep when the battle started.

Everything this guy did, the devs started changing the "rules" around but he still would work around them. You couldn't drop a chest in the middle of the night anymore. They made it so your "Flag" (which is a group of crews) had to have a certain "prestige" level (which was higher the bigger you were) before you could drop a chest to keep him from doing the above. So he paid a bigger Flag to drop it for him. He used to pay people to come help man the ships, which was frowned upon at the time (eventually the developers added that as an in-game option.)

They never could pin him down for any one thing, so they finally just banned him with a "spirit of the game" as the reason. Back in the day, we used to just say "We're roleplaying PIRATES! These are PIRATEY things we're doing!" Nope, apparently you are not supposed to act like a pirate in the pirate game.

Can you translate this into english for people who haven't played the game? What are warchests? What did you guys do on your ship and why is it being tiny relevant? What on earth does this stuff about flags and prestige have to do with the tiny ship?

From your description all I understand is that you were on a tiny ship and your friend got banned for being too "piratey", but your writing is too incoherent to discern what happened much less why it's funny or why the ban was unjustified.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

He's keeping that engineer distracted and tied up, what part of that is not a valid strategy to help his team?

Contrary to popular belief, there is a map objective on 2fort. Being in reach of this objective, as the class most well-equipped to escape with it, and neglecting to do so, is griefing the entirety of both teams.

edit: also clearly he's much better at tf2 than the engineer, so he'd be better off just playing the game. Using all of your time to cancel the efforts of one other person is a net zero result for your team. Noclip about 30 feet upwards and you'll see a pair of snipers doing the exact same thing.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2012

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Can you translate this into english for people who haven't played the game? What are warchests? What did you guys do on your ship and why is it being tiny relevant? What on earth does this stuff about flags and prestige have to do with the tiny ship?

From your description all I understand is that you were on a tiny ship and your friend got banned for being too "piratey", but your writing is too incoherent to discern what happened much less why it's funny or why the ban was unjustified.

Sorry, I did explain what a warchest (declaring your intent to fight for an island and paying a fee) was, but I forgot to mention why him being a "tiny" ship was griefing. I mentioned these blockades were supposed to be big brawls, so the group defending the island would bring everyone they could to fight, showing up at like 3am just to see one guy and his friend on a boat.

He kept making the people defending the island have to mobilize large amounts of people for no reason at odd hours. When the defenders did not get a lot of people to defend (especially after all the false alarms), my friend would go pay people to come fight for his side. I think he got one or two islands this way, when the intent of taking an island was supposed to be a big group of people battling another big group of people.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Islands were captured in blockades, which originally were a set of 12 1 hour rounds (with 15 minute breaks in between) that you had to win a majority of to claim the island. It stopped all incoming and outgoing ships (in the sense that they had to pass through a big rear end battle board where permanent sinking of your ship was in effect if you died) to the island, and little flags appeared on the board that you had to maintain constant control of to score points to win the round. You had to deposit a few hundred thousand PoE as a warchest to start a blockade, but nothing obligated you to show up. So people would either drop warchests at some asinine hour to make it harder for the defenders to get enough people to defend their island, or they'd drop a warchest every week just to make the defenders spend all day saturday or sunday sitting on boats on little flags against no opposition because even if nobody showed up to attack, you still had to win the blockade.

Then they added a fame mechanic so that you had to have a certain fame level to be able to drop a warchest on a given size island. Fame was just a little hidden counter based on the amount of puzzles people in your flag (which was like a collection of clans) did. It was there because people would abuse alt Flags and alliances to drop warchests, which in addition to the blockade would put your flag at war with the owners of the island for at least 24 hours making any pvp battle you fought against them anywhere on the server have perma-sinking in effect.

People in that game were generally very scared of pvp or losing their virtual pirate money. And anyone who was good at the game was griefing them because they had more resources to work with and a functioning brain. Until the devs started getting defensive of the idiots (because the idiots had their parents credit cards) it was a great game to harvest tears on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

All this talk "Dropping Warchests" makes me think of some pirate rear end in a top hat just sailing up to some port and showing off a big, heavy seachest full of gold before locking and chaining it shut and tossing it into the water just to troll everyone.

And, of course, laughing is rear end off as he watches people swim down and drown as they try to haul it up only for someone to finally get it up and find out that the chest was full of foil-covered chocolates above a lead weight.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EA Sports posted:

Kudos to a grief that cheers up everyone, particularly with hearing the kids cheer on their dads(?) in beating up a great heel.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Islands were captured in blockades, which originally were a set of 12 1 hour rounds (with 15 minute breaks in between) that you had to win a majority of to claim the island. It stopped all incoming and outgoing ships (in the sense that they had to pass through a big rear end battle board where permanent sinking of your ship was in effect if you died) to the island, and little flags appeared on the board that you had to maintain constant control of to score points to win the round. You had to deposit a few hundred thousand PoE as a warchest to start a blockade, but nothing obligated you to show up. So people would either drop warchests at some asinine hour to make it harder for the defenders to get enough people to defend their island, or they'd drop a warchest every week just to make the defenders spend all day saturday or sunday sitting on boats on little flags against no opposition because even if nobody showed up to attack, you still had to win the blockade.

Then they added a fame mechanic so that you had to have a certain fame level to be able to drop a warchest on a given size island. Fame was just a little hidden counter based on the amount of puzzles people in your flag (which was like a collection of clans) did. It was there because people would abuse alt Flags and alliances to drop warchests, which in addition to the blockade would put your flag at war with the owners of the island for at least 24 hours making any pvp battle you fought against them anywhere on the server have perma-sinking in effect.

People in that game were generally very scared of pvp or losing their virtual pirate money. And anyone who was good at the game was griefing them because they had more resources to work with and a functioning brain. Until the devs started getting defensive of the idiots (because the idiots had their parents credit cards) it was a great game to harvest tears on.

Thank you! I forgot all about the war mechanic and the sinking stuff. I was just a humble puzzler in all this mess.

Ships cost money, materials, and time to make. Losing a normal pvp match is just a loss of some of whatever money and goods you had on the ship, but losing a pvp during the war or blockade makes your ship sink. Which is expensive.

Man, I miss how much fun that game used to be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EA Sports posted:

This was great, but I lost it when ETHNIC CLEANSING scrolled by and the other dude starts raging like crazy.

I was seriously expecting the dude to pull off some really cheap win and really make the dude flip his lid.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

pw pw pw posted:

Contrary to popular belief, there is a map objective on 2fort. Being in reach of this objective, as the class most well-equipped to escape with it, and neglecting to do so, is griefing the entirety of both teams.

Exactly this. The "valid strategy" would have been for the Scout to kill the guy and take the intel, keeping that engineer tied up wouldn't help his team get down there.

Although as for the snipers, at least if they're sniping each other they're not easily capping people coming out of the enemy base.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Code Jockey posted:

Putting sentry guns behind level geometry is pretty effective too, is that not griefing anymore?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This was great, but I lost it when ETHNIC CLEANSING scrolled by and the other dude starts raging like crazy.

I was seriously expecting the dude to pull off some really cheap win and really make the dude flip his lid.
What's amazing is that this is 100% premeditated.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

EA Sports posted:

My throat hurts so hard from laughing at this

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Here's ULTIMATE CRACK SMOKING WARLOCK vs BLACK KNIGHT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENb_FR4nIRY&feature=context&context=C48278b2VDvjVQa1PpcFMMCoX1TJXG-LtK6OBAM0AgOa1oA_uKOII=

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Putting sentry guns behind level geometry is pretty effective too, is that not griefing anymore?

Well, it is exploiting a bug, in that outside the level is meant to be inaccessible to everyone and everything.
What this guy was doing is not only well within the level. In addition, the fact that you even have room to stand on that pipe must mean that it is a valid move. It wouldn't be hard to alter the room to force people off the pipe, or just stick an invisible wall there to make accessing it impossible.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Golden Bee posted:

What's amazing is that this is 100% premeditated.

I'm really rather surprised they'd allow a combination like "crack smoking" in a WWE game, but really I'm just disappointed that "Hustler" isn't in it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

redmercer posted:

I'm really rather surprised they'd allow a combination like "crack smoking" in a WWE game, but really I'm just disappointed that "Hustler" isn't in it.

Wow, so I could make THE IRRITATING MEXICAN AMERICAN QUITTER? This may be a game for me.

EDIT: Or the CRAZED NUT GRABBER. Oh poo poo I'm in!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Well, it is exploiting a bug, in that outside the level is meant to be inaccessible to everyone and everything.
What this guy was doing is not only well within the level. In addition, the fact that you even have room to stand on that pipe must mean that it is a valid move. It wouldn't be hard to alter the room to force people off the pipe, or just stick an invisible wall there to make accessing it impossible.

Your definition of "griefing" is so narrow that it's almost like you don't have any comprehension of what it is or how it works.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Jabor posted:

Your definition of "griefing" is so narrow that it's almost like you don't have any comprehension of what it is or how it works.

I understand "griefing" to be any action of dubious utility done in an attempt to provoke a negative reaction from another person in an online game. Thhis may or may not include exploitation of game mechanics or bugs to achive the desired effect, although it is common, as players don't expect it or know how to handle it when it occurs. Exceptions to this rule would be something like spawn-camping, as that confers an advantage AND provokes such a strong negative reaction that I would still call it griefing.

People go on a minecraft server and gently caress it up? Griefing, as they don't gain any advantage from dong so.

People who go into online team games just to lose purposefully to the enemy, making their team angry? Griefing, as they gain nothing from the loss.

I don't count this as griefing because:
A: He was denying the enemy a valuable team member (or at least another body to soak bullets) because the engineer stuck around and kept trying to build his turret. This also benefited his team by reducing the amount of metal avaliable to the engineer, meaning he would eventually have to leave to restock, at which time it would have been easier to grab the objective.
B: He was not using any bugs or exploits to gain this advantage. He was merely standing out of sight, and could have been seen easily had the player bothered to look up a little more. Calling this a griefing tactic is like saying someone who snipes enemies from across the map is a griefer, when he is just attempting to win.
Now, the aforementioned sniper would be griefing if he only shot one person to the exculsion of all others, just to hear him yell and watch him ragequit.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He denied the enemy team a member by denying his own team a member in an extremely time-inefficient manner. He is ignoring the map objective (the only thing which will win his team the game) to inconvenience a person, who can still use his shotgun and pistol to defend the intel because he is still alive. Until that scout gets out of the ceiling and caps the intel, he is contributing less to his team than the engineer is contributing to his. Hell, the engineer is at least spychecking. The scout is taunting the engineer verbally with voice commands.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

I almost wouldn't classify exploiting as griefing, at least in the case of putting Sentry Guns underneath level geometry. Its pretty stupid, not in the least clever, and it wouldn't really make most people mad. Most people would probably just find a new server.

While there are some exploits that are grief worthy, I don't typically think something is griefing unless you could tell a story about it and legitimately think the other people would be mad and find a bit of humor in it. Saying 'I totally put some sentry guns under the level geometry and made the whole server quit' is interesting the ONE time it is told, after that it shouldn't really qualify as griefing because its a pretty stupid and unimaginative grief.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
The scout is a goddamn saint because he's sitting up in the rafters blowing up sentries so that as soon as another of his team members realizes that there's a goal of 2Fort and that goal is to capture the intelligence, said team member can walk into the base and capture the intelligence without being puréed by the seven level 3 sentries that would be there otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

PokeWarVeteran posted:

I understand "griefing" to be any action of dubious utility done in an attempt to provoke a negative reaction from another person in an online game. Thhis may or may not include exploitation of game mechanics or bugs to achive the desired effect, although it is common, as players don't expect it or know how to handle it when it occurs. Exceptions to this rule would be something like spawn-camping, as that confers an advantage AND provokes such a strong negative reaction that I would still call it griefing.

People go on a minecraft server and gently caress it up? Griefing, as they don't gain any advantage from dong so.

People who go into online team games just to lose purposefully to the enemy, making their team angry? Griefing, as they gain nothing from the loss.

I don't count this as griefing because:
A: He was denying the enemy a valuable team member (or at least another body to soak bullets) because the engineer stuck around and kept trying to build his turret. This also benefited his team by reducing the amount of metal avaliable to the engineer, meaning he would eventually have to leave to restock, at which time it would have been easier to grab the objective.
B: He was not using any bugs or exploits to gain this advantage. He was merely standing out of sight, and could have been seen easily had the player bothered to look up a little more. Calling this a griefing tactic is like saying someone who snipes enemies from across the map is a griefer, when he is just attempting to win.
Now, the aforementioned sniper would be griefing if he only shot one person to the exculsion of all others, just to hear him yell and watch him ragequit.

Sorry, your official griefing ruleset is unrecognized by the Official Sanctioning Board of Griefers (OSBOG).

Every griefer worth his salt knows that Sun Tzu invented griefing in 600 BC when he penned The Art of War, as seen by this OSBOG-sanctioned passage:

"If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him."

The modern day interpretation of this passage forms the core edict of the OSBOG community, and translates roughly to "Hey spergos, annoy some other dudes on video games, it's funny when they get real mad and call you a homo on XBOX Live."

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread