Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love how Dave basically said today that if you're poor, you cannot be a true fan.

Not to defend Miz or say that he had a tough life or whatever because I don't think he did, but saying someone is basically a fake fan or knows nothing because they haven't been to a live show is ridiculous.

Well, Dave did say that Miz hadn't been to a live wrestling show until after his Real World run. I doubt at that time in his life he was so poor he couldn't afford to go to a wrestling show.

Like I grew up a HUGE wrestling fan, but I lived out in the middle of nowhere where there was no live shows to go to. Only when I grew up and was able to drive was I able to go, but you bet I went to the first show I was able to. I am sure Miz had plenty of opportunities to go before he actually became a wrestler, so why didn't he?

But yeah I did find the burial of Miz to end the show a bit funny haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't know why he didn't go, and maybe that does say something, but to suggest it's basically impossible for him to know anything about Nick Bockwinkle because he'd never been to a wrestling show before actually being a wrestler is completely asinine. I'm not saying Miz didn't bullshit completely on that DVD, because in all likelihood he did, I just think Meltzer is generalizing to an absolutely ridiculous degree.

Then again, it's Dave Meltzer, so yeah.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

so why didn't he?

Because sometimes in life you have other poo poo to do, even if you are a major fan.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

Because sometimes in life you have other poo poo to do, even if you are a major fan.

Eh I get that, but if you're a real big wrestling fan you're going to go see some shows. Especially if you live in L.A. and they're coming around all the time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

triplexpac posted:

Eh I get that, but if you're a real big wrestling fan you're going to go see some shows. Especially if you live in L.A. and they're coming around all the time.

What if you live in a town that even the indy circuits don't come to visit? :smith: Thankfully I eventually got the hell out of there, but still.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just think its funny that we're talking about a nerd from a reality show who cut promos with a toy belt and eventually worked to become a legit WWE superstar and the case is actually being made that he doesn't care or he's a fake fan.

It's not like we're talking about Mason Ryan or Kelly Kelly or someone picked out of a magazine.

He's a crappy worker for sure, but given everything we know and how the locker room gave him every reason to fold and run like a bitch, it's kind of ludicrous to paint it like it's just a paycheck to him.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
What do you guys think of RBR?

I think it's definitely the funniest wrestling podcast out there. I seriously could listen to the same episode over and over.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

BrokenCycle posted:

What do you guys think of RBR?

Hey buddy, what the heck is that?!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm not a real wrestling fan because WWE only comes to Australia once a year and most of the time don't even go to Adelaide :smith:

Apparently some of the Australian indies aren't terrible, so I should check one of them out one day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Part of the reason wrestling draws such poor ad revenue is its fans are poor. Poor fans still come out to shows so almost no one is too poor for wrestling, especially since historically wrestling tickets are dirt cheap and WWE still makes sure it sells cheap tickets. If you haven't been to a show you are a pretty casual fan to say the least, or you are <16 and your parents disapprove of watching wrestling.

In that case you have some good parents.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MassRayPer posted:

Part of the reason wrestling draws such poor ad revenue is its fans are poor. Poor fans still come out to shows so almost no one is too poor for wrestling, especially since historically wrestling tickets are dirt cheap and WWE still makes sure it sells cheap tickets. If you haven't been to a show you are a pretty casual fan to say the least, or you are <16 and your parents disapprove of watching wrestling.

In that case you have some good parents.

Or I don't want to pay 3 times the price of the ticket to travel and stay because I have nowhere to crash. Plus the whole working most Saturdays when the local indies run and WWE only coming to the UK twice a year.

I can afford to go to shows, actually getting to them is the problem I face.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Then again, it's Dave Meltzer, so yeah.
That's just the nature of the beast, ya know?

Semiru posted:

I'm not a real wrestling fan because WWE only comes to Australia once a year and most of the time don't even go to Adelaide :smith:

Apparently some of the Australian indies aren't terrible, so I should check one of them out one day.
I went to Nitro in 2000(?) and a WWE show in 2003 (I think) and now I don't bother. The WCW show was actually far superior, decent seats were ridiculous prices in both cases and it's just not worth it for a house show, that and you have to spend a couple of hours in an arena full of wrestling fans.

I don't even consider going to these shows since becoming reacquainted with the product in 2009, if they did a PPV/Raw I'd seriously consider it though, it would be nice to go to a show and be excited because it matters in the storyline continuum. It's probably hard to understand if you're in the US and can see both house shows and televised shows but only having the option of house shows is pretty lame especially when you're paying prices comparable to a live Raw for it.

Edit: Cheap seats are normally just under $100 for context or were last time I went.

Also, WWE released a DVD of the Melbourne show I went to eventually it was something along the lines of 'WWE Global Warming Tour', does anyone know if the DVD was ever available outside Australia?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 11, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Or I don't want to pay 3 times the price of the ticket to travel and stay because I have nowhere to crash. Plus the whole working most Saturdays when the local indies run and WWE only coming to the UK twice a year.

People from other countries are somewhat exempt, but it's not like there isn't other wrestling out there.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

njsykora posted:

Miz is from Ohio.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know how old I was when I went to my first wrestling show, but I was pretty old! It had to be like in 2007, 2006 maybe. I started watching between Wrestlemania VI and VII.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MassRayPer posted:

People from other countries are somewhat exempt, but it's not like there isn't other wrestling out there.

Oh of course, there's a local indie I've wanted to check out for a while. One of the guys from the most recent Young Lions Cup was on their last show, however the key point is I was working that night. I think the key thing is if you can't get to shows but you can afford it you should be buying merch to support the feds you like.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Kurt Angle pulls out of his Olympic trial.

Somewhere Dave Meltzer is making this face :smug:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

PaybackJack posted:

Kurt Angle pulls out of his Olympic trial.

Somewhere Dave Meltzer is making this face :smug:
"Plans change..:smug:"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"gently caress I am bored... fine I will listen to a Todd show."

"How does Bryan know absolutely nothing about MMA? He's covered it for over a decade and still clearly knows jack poo poo..."

"Why am I unable to learn from my mistakes?"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hi my name's Duder from California. What do you guys wanna talk about?

Bryan: Do you have a question?

Nah man I can talk about anything.

:420:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Which pissed Dave off enough that it made the daily update.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

was that the "hey, let's pick up where you guys just left off" guy?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

sportsgenius86 posted:

was that the "hey, let's pick up where you guys just left off" guy?

Yeah.

And there was also that guy that called and went "Oh, hey, I don't have any questions, I just want to do osme putovers".

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

:lol: Is that from yesterday's call-in show? Because I gotta hear that.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Which pissed Dave off enough that it made the daily update.

Where was that in the update? I think I missed it

Also, Lance is really really really (justifiably) mad about steroids

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I had to change my pants after Lance's steroid rant, it was beautiful. When he said "Bryan you might as well go get lunch" I knew we were in for a treat.

EDIT: No B&V today, according to Granny Bryan only had time to do 2 shows yesterday and cut B&V. The Board is currently out for Todd's blood, it's hilarious. Todd dropped into the thread to go after a guy saying he was useless and got this for his troubles.

gigmark on the F4W board posted:

He should have chopped your show because your input and insight is not valued by me and I'd rather listen to granny tell knock knock jokes than listen to anything you have to say ever. I know that sucks to hear and I'm sorry for bruising your feelings with my frank and overly blunt dismissal of your work on the site.

I want to buy this man a drink. Another guy said people who want to hear Granny should just go talk to their own grandmothers and is getting piled on by everyone whose granny is dead. When the board goes nuts, it's a sight to behold.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2012

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe they'll do B&V tonight since they already said there's no observer podcast since Smackdown is a repeat of Tuesday and there's a UFC tomorrow.

Also, god bless gigmark

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
For some reason hearing about Lance Storm going off on steroids again makes me want to re-sub, even though I am currently poor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CVagts posted:

For some reason hearing about Lance Storm going off on steroids again makes me want to re-sub, even though I am currently poor.

Do it next time you have the money and go back to it, I've never heard the man swear so much in so little time. He even apologised to Granny for how much he was swearing.

And yeah it seems to be Vinny was out doing something (getting laid if you believe the board) last night so they are doing B&V tonight.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
If you want to hear Lance Storm calling a man a "loving retard" "piece of poo poo" and "complete dipshit" multiple times, then I'd say subscribing is a good idea.

quote:

Dave 'Dave' Meltzer posted:

--For future consideration, if and when we do call-in shows, please have questions ready and if you don't have either a question or a comment regarding pro wrestling or MMA, please don't call.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Also, Lance is really really really (justifiably) mad about steroids

I thought most of it was unjustifiable. He's mad because the commissions are going to follow their rules and give Overeem a fair hearing. He's mad because MMA allows guys to do TRT and "break the rules" when that is in the loving rules. So far in MMA history Nevada has allowed three or four TRT exemptions.

Then he gets whiny that guys like Thiago Silva got off easy and was rushed back after his suspension. Silva served a full year and UFC didn't bring him back the second they could, they put him on an event three and a half months after his suspension ended. He's in the main event? So loving what. Do MLB players who serve a suspension come back and ride the bench?

Yes, Dennis Hallman is an idiot. We already knew this. Lance Storm, you are an idiot for getting mad about things that have not happened yet and things you are only imagining.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Lance Storm, you are an idiot

We can even leave it at just that, in my opinion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'd be curious to see the number of downloads each WO/F4W podcast gets. I wonder where Lance's shows rank.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I'd be curious to see the number of downloads each WO/F4W podcast gets. I wonder where Lance's shows rank.

I would be really curious to see that too, especially the difference between the free shows and the paid shows. I know the rotating WO/BV free shows get a ton of extra listeners but what about the F4Ds? Do people listen to the rare free Karl Stern shows? Five Star Radios?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jericho was on the Adam Carolla Podcast today.
Seem like it was taped the week after Mania.

Not a ton of wrestling talk but better than a Todd show for sure.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/chris-jericho/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Jericho was on the Adam Carolla Podcast today.
Seem like it was taped the week after Mania.

Not a ton of wrestling talk but better than a Todd show for sure.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/chris-jericho/

High praise right there. I don't think there are free Dragon King or Five Stars anymore. It rotates between B&V, then Observer Radio, then F4D. I'd reckon Lance's shows rank 3rd overall on the site, behind Bryan and Vinny and Observer Radio but slightly ahead of Todd. Way more people hate Todd than Lance.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So, per AOW, now Lita lives in Nicaraugua, then?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

njsykora posted:

High praise right there. I don't think there are free Dragon King or Five Stars anymore. It rotates between B&V, then Observer Radio, then F4D. I'd reckon Lance's shows rank 3rd overall on the site, behind Bryan and Vinny and Observer Radio but slightly ahead of Todd. Way more people hate Todd than Lance.

If B&V pulls even comparable numbers to Observer Radio, consider me shocked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Every once in awhile each host is supposed to put a free show up. Karl and Mike have been so lax in making shows that this just almost never happens anymore. I think one of them has said they are technically supposed to have a free show every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
This was several years ago, but back in like 2007 or so, TNA PPVs had fallen to about 20k buys, and Bryan commented on a B&V episode that their free episode had about 10k listens. I can't even begin to conjecture how that would have grown in the five years since, but there's a starting point I guess.

• Locked thread