Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
What's the craic with this Alan Davies oval office going on about Hillsborough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ICA posted:

What's the craic with this Alan Davies oval office going on about Hillsborough?

It's all in the April thread.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Nimmy posted:

Yeah I definitely have that too. I wouldn't tolerate such puns from anyone else, but I laugh in public when Jimbo drops them. Woof.

I seriously think about how depressing it's going to be when Jimbo finishes FW.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Does anyone else think it's lost it's way a bit recently? Maybe it's just because I've now been listening for around 5 years, but while it's still interesting I don't look forward to it the way I used to.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mickolution posted:

Does anyone else think it's lost it's way a bit recently? Maybe it's just because I've now been listening for around 5 years, but while it's still interesting I don't look forward to it the way I used to.

It's getting abit motd in that more and more they skim over matches without actually talking about them in any meaningful way.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
ive not listened to FW in literally months and months

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
On FW you can really hear the huge gulf in quality between the interesting, knowledgeable freelance journos and the Guardian bloke-in-the-pub office hacks

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

My all-star FW group is Baz, Philippe Auclair, and Rafa Honigstein.

Paolo Bandini and Amy Lawrence are pretty good too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Always liked Paul Doyle and Kevin McCarra, though neither are on it very much these days.

TBH, too many of them sound really similar to me and all sort of meld into one. Maybe that's why the ones I like all have some sort of accent.

Durchfall
Oct 26, 2006

oontsoontsoonts
I groan every time Paul Macinnes is involved, and that QPR fan contrives to be the worst.

Barry, Bandini and Honigstein are my favourites. Auclair tends to dominate the pod a little too much.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Monday Bandele posted:

Guardian bloke-in-the-pub office hacks

Look, Barry's standing up against racism!

PS: The absolute silence after the Newcastle pun in today's pod, gold

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I have never listened to a football podcast. Where should I start?

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

euroboy posted:

Football Weekly and The Football Ramble are the best. The former is bit more informative and the latter is more 'lovely banter' but they complement each other well.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

euroboy posted:

With the OP of this thread.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Football Weekly and The Football Ramble are the best. The former is bit more informative and the latter is more 'lovely banter' but they complement each other well.

Agree with this, but I really like The Game, too.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

My all-star FW group is Baz, Philippe Auclair, and Rafa Honigstein.

Paolo Bandini and Amy Lawrence are pretty good too.

Um...where is the love for Fernando Duarche?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That Portuguese guy the other week was pretty good too.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Durchfall posted:

I groan every time Paul Macinnes is involved, and that QPR fan contrives to be the worst.

Barry, Bandini and Honigstein are my favourites. Auclair tends to dominate the pod a little too much.

He deserves to though. He shows everybody up every time.

I like the way Jimbo doesn't let them indulge themselves too much. He's very brisk. Also, his passive-aggressive mood towards Sid Lowe is always interesting to hear. I get the impression that they really don't like each other much.

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011
Auclair is amazing. That french accent too :swoon:

Monday Bandele posted:

On FW you can really hear the huge gulf in quality between the interesting, knowledgeable freelance journos and the Guardian bloke-in-the-pub office hacks

Yeah this was really noticeable this week. There was one guy who solely regurgitated every tabloid talking point with stuff like balotelli being the reason for man city being poo poo now or how redknapp has failed because the england job loomed over him - not saying they aren't factors, just that it's way more complicated than that - and made tons of banal comments, whereas Micheal Cox, when he was allowed to talk, actually brought in some genuine insight.

My other gripe is that they should let Sid Lowe talk about non barca and real la liga way more often, most of his reports are solely telling me about their six nil wins this week and what mourinho said in a press conference when i know there are plenty of good stories in the rest of the league.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Sid Lowe parts shine when he goes off on a little tangent about Spanish history or the etymology of a stadium name or something.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I really prefer when Barry is on. Knowledgeable journos interlaced with Barry having a go at someone for being a wanker is what works best for me.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

euroboy posted:

I listen to far too many podcasts, but these are the football ones in my current list:

Recommended
5live Football Daily - BBC 5Live Radio daily podcast, usually just interviews/match reports from the days games, but sometimes has interviews/specials.

Football Weekly - The Guardian's podcast and IMO probably the best one on mainstream football, you can't beat a bit of AC Jimbo's punnery.

The Game Podcast - The Times' football podcast with Gabrielle Marcotti, along with FW probably the best podcast for mainstream football - more Premier league coverage and less La Liga/Serie A than FW.

Sky Sports News Radio - La Liga Weekly - Weekly round up of La Liga match reaction & news, usually has Dr Sid Lowe on a dodgy phone line. Sometimes has comments from the Sky Sports La Liga commentators and occasionally interviews with some La Liga players.

BBC Non League Show - Covers all things non-league, which as a non-league fan is great. How else would you hear that Barton Old Boys' game vs Stavely yesterday was abandoned due to an unplayable pitch with Barton 6-0 up!

European Football Show - Monthly podcast with Dave Farrar (ESPN commentator), has people like Michael Cox (Zonal Marking) and Ben Lyttleton talking about pretty much any major European league.

If you've nothing else to listen to

The Football Ramble - 4 Random people who have media jobs talk about the weeks football, hard to describe but "The Dean Windass hall of Fame" (profiles of things from football you may not know about) and "Going for Glold" (guess the player from the clues) are worth listening to.

We Are Going Up! - Dedicated Football League podcast, they've got bloggers for most of the clubs talking about football league matters.

The Football Pubcast - Literally 5 blokes talking about football in a pub, contains excessive news on Gillingham for some reason. Mostly bollocks. They also have a sub-podcast which is the Football Pubcast down-under which is 5 blokes talking about football in a pub in Australia, which has a bit of focus on the A-league.

Tony's Team Talk - Another one from BBC 5Live, Dan Walker (who presents football focus) and Conor McNamara (radio commentator) talk about the latest stories, and have a challenge to try and fit a silly phrase into their weeks work. Last weeks was "Apple Turnover".

Two Footed Tackle - not sure how to describe this, but as it's coming to an end at the end of the season I probably wouldn't bother. Has coverage of some of the lower leagues & non-league stuff, but nothing special.

The Football Project - Covers a lot of european stuff, with a game of the week from pretty much any of the major european leagues. Has a quiz which is quite fun to try and beat the pundits (not hard, especially if it's on football league stuff). Audio quality is poor - it's very quiet.

I also listen to the BBC's Inside Tottenham Hotspur podcast but I doubt you'll be interested in that :)

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 11, 2012

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Football Weekly, The Game, Soccer Report Extra, ESPN Soccernet, EPL Talk <<general-ish

Arsecast, The Tuesday Club, The Online Gooner Podcast<< Arsenal

Don't listen to The Football Ramble unless you are English in my experience because its predominantly a bunch of jackoffs lolzing each other.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The problem I find with Football Weekly (and why I think the foreign journos often come off better) is that it's boring when they're talking about the Premier League. I don't know if that's entirely their fault - it's just not a very good medium for adding anything really insightful beyond "that was a good game".

The interesting parts are when they talk about leagues outside the Premiership (even if it's just the Championship) and can talk more generally about what's going on, and what their thoughts are about how things are shaking out. Jimbo's Serie A round-ups are brilliant, and even Sid Lowe can be great when he isn't sucking off Barcelona.

Also, Sean Ingle and that twat QPR fan being kept well away always improves things.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

ragle posted:

Don't listen to The Football Ramble unless you are English in my experience because its predominantly a bunch of jackoffs lolzing each other.

Absolutely spot on!

Also, agree with the person above, when Football Weekly go on about the Premier League, it's boring as poo poo.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Is Patrick Barclay still on The Game podcast? He was single-handedly responsible for me giving up on that one about a year ago.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

Is Patrick Barclay still on The Game podcast? He was single-handedly responsible for me giving up on that one about a year ago.

No, he's left the Times now

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Cheers. I'll give it another go then.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I am OK posted:

Sid Lowe parts shine when he goes off on a little tangent about Spanish history or the etymology of a stadium name or something.

Tbh, I could do with out Sid Lowe's bit in every edition. I know people like La Liga (not overly interested myself), but it's the same thing every time. On a Monday it's "Real and Barca both won, someone broke a record" then some bickering amongst the Spanish papers whereas on Thursday it's "Real and Barca will both win, someone is on course to break a record this weekend." I really like Sid, but just find the Spanish league a bit tedious. He was great the couple of times he was actually in the studio, though.

JingleBells posted:

No, he's left the Times now

And thank Christ for that.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks JingleBells, great post. Will definitely check those out.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS

Mickolution posted:

Tbh, I could do with out Sid Lowe's bit in every edition. I know people like La Liga (not overly interested myself), but it's the same thing every time. On a Monday it's "Real and Barca both won, someone broke a record" then some bickering amongst the Spanish papers whereas on Thursday it's "Real and Barca will both win, someone is on course to break a record this weekend." I really like Sid, but just find the Spanish league a bit tedious. He was great the couple of times he was actually in the studio, though.

I get the impression he's getting sick of talking about Barca and RM as well. He's much more entertaining when discussing the lesser-known teams in La Liga - his article on Rayo for the Guardian this week was really good.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Is there a way to stream The Game podcast in a browser? Looks like I could get it off iTunes, but I can't seem to find it in a browser without getting hit by the Times paywall. It's not the end of the world, and I can just grab it when I get home. But it would be nice to stream it at work.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Only ever used iTunes for it, sorry. That paywall is loving stupid.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

HinderedUseless posted:

Is there a way to stream The Game podcast in a browser? Looks like I could get it off iTunes, but I can't seem to find it in a browser without getting hit by the Times paywall. It's not the end of the world, and I can just grab it when I get home. But it would be nice to stream it at work.

The RSS feed is here which combined with an RSS reader (like google reader) gives you HTTP links to the MP3 files :)

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

euroboy posted:

Thanks JingleBells, great post. Will definitely check those out.

You're a gooner. Get the Tuesday Club it's rarely not great.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The only problem with the Football Ramble is that they pronounce everything the wrong way. It's like they're going out of their way to not say people's names correctly. They all watch shitloads of football, I don't get how they do it. Especially Luke Moore and the one who supports Arsenal.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ragle posted:

Both my friend and I are not English and we love their banter.

You should listen to Football Weekly and the Ramble to start and move from there!

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

I also really like the Men in Blazers podcast, which is part of the Grantland Network. Really funny and it's a good place to start if you're an American and trying to follow the Premier League.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hoops posted:

The only problem with the Football Ramble is that they pronounce everything the wrong way.

Can you give me some examples of this? I've never really noticed. I'm sure once you point a couple out to me I won't be able to stop noticing, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I noticed that almost every English pundit pronounces at least some names wrong, so it might just be the way the podcast guys think things are pronounced without giving it a second thought.