Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
As a fullback: Running and Crossing. And Crossing while Running.

As far as defensive stuff, the only thing you can really do by yourself is watch defenders playing. Footwork stuff, anything that forces you to quickly change direction, is good too. But that's really good for everyone, not specifically defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:
If any of you suffer endlessly from shin splints like I do, perhaps there's a bit of preventative advice you could lend so that they don't plague me as bad??

I do pre-match and post-match stretching/elevating/icing (and pre-coaching, the kids I coach are little fireballs and I feel I run more during practice with them than I do during a game) and I'm not sure why I'm still in so much pain.

Would tighter compression around the shins potentially help? Or do I just need to deal with it?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

artshavin posted:

If any of you suffer endlessly from shin splints like I do, perhaps there's a bit of preventative advice you could lend so that they don't plague me as bad??

I do pre-match and post-match stretching/elevating/icing (and pre-coaching, the kids I coach are little fireballs and I feel I run more during practice with them than I do during a game) and I'm not sure why I'm still in so much pain.

Would tighter compression around the shins potentially help? Or do I just need to deal with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

artshavin posted:

I don't really know much about shin splints, is it just a tightness of the front calf muscle? I used to get that from playing on different surfaces during the week and it was a bit painful to run. Someone posted a good stretch in here if that's the case; sit down on a chair or sofa - or a couch - so that your feet are rested flat on the floor. Cross one leg (right or left, whichever you prefer to stretch first) so that it's resting on the other knee and then pull your foot slowly so that the toes are pointing away from you.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hallowed Turban posted:

I don't really know much about shin splints, is it just a tightness of the front calf muscle? I used to get that from playing on different surfaces during the week and it was a bit painful to run. Someone posted a good stretch in here if that's the case; sit down on a chair or sofa - or a couch - so that your feet are rested flat on the floor. Cross one leg (right or left, whichever you prefer to stretch first) so that it's resting on the other knee and then pull your foot slowly so that the toes are pointing away from you.

No the muscles/tendons around the shinbone get all hosed up from being under too much duress. I posted the wiki link because there's more than one cause he could eliminate. Common ones, after simply overdoing it and not allowing adequate recovery, is having poor running form/lovely muscles which results in too much weight being planted when you run, with abnormal weight distribution down the front of the leg.

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

Ninpo posted:

No the muscles/tendons around the shinbone get all hosed up from being under too much duress. I posted the wiki link because there's more than one cause he could eliminate. Common ones, after simply overdoing it and not allowing adequate recovery, is having poor running form/lovely muscles which results in too much weight being planted when you run, with abnormal weight distribution down the front of the leg.

Really it's probably the terrible uneven and hard surfaces we play on here, and I definitely need new boots. The over exertion of the calf muscles part in the article is intriguing as well, I'll have to pay attention to my form and see if I'm doing that. Completely plausible. I'm jealous of players who never have the issue, though, not sure how they get away with it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

irlZaphod posted:

Not really stuff you can practice, but it helps if you read the game well and have good positioning. If have neither of those things, you're probably hosed. Also you really need to be on the same page as the rest of the back line.

Yeah, if you don't have a partner to practice with, the best thing you can do as a fullback is to watch professionals and learn how to position yourself properly in different situations. You have to learn when to get tight to a winger, and when to leave him to cover your centre back, as well as when to drift wide or overlap to support an attack, and when to tuck in and watch for the counter.

You don't tend to get many opportunities to put a cross in at lower level though, because most lower level teams don't have the quality to build up slowly and create a gap for you to use. You should still get used to drifting out to the touchline so that your midfield can use you as an out ball when under pressure, so don't neglect practising your first touch, but remember to tuck back in if the ball goes forward instead or you'll get caught on the break.

If you're quick you can make life difficult for their winger and come out looking decent, but if you position yourself properly you'll save your centre back's backside too and then you come out looking awesome.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

artshavin posted:

Really it's probably the terrible uneven and hard surfaces we play on here, and I definitely need new boots. The over exertion of the calf muscles part in the article is intriguing as well, I'll have to pay attention to my form and see if I'm doing that. Completely plausible. I'm jealous of players who never have the issue, though, not sure how they get away with it.

I get shin splints all the time. When I was in the Army I got them when I didn't give my legs enough time to rest/condition. After a week of rest they usually weren't an issue anymore. Back then I would run at least 20 miles a week at a minimum.

Now I get them at the drop of a hat. After struggling with them for about 2 years, I narrowed it down to a few causes...

First, not enough rest. If I don't set aside at least 1 day a week to stay off my feet I will start getting them. I also found that I can't go for a run two days in a row on a hard surface (asphalt etc) without starting to develop them. That really sucks because it was never a problem in the past.

Two, bad shoes. Getting a decent pair of shoes seemed to help a lot. Also, when I first start wearing a pair of boots I tend to get them until I get used to the boots.

Three, form. For me, a big cause was sprinting purely on the balls of my feet on hard surfaces. It's too bad because that's how I get the most speed. I used to do interval sprints for about 10 min right after my run. This seemed to give me shin splints like mad. I started making sure I had a bit of contact on the ground with the rest of my feet, and I started just doing the intervals throughout the run instead of at the end of it.

Four, warmup. I got a bunch of different active shin warmup exercises from some conditioning coaches that seem to help too. The main one I use is just calf raises with my ties pointed out, and then with my toes pointed in. I follow that up with walking on the heels of my feet for about 15 yards, toes pointed ahead, followed by toes pointed in and toes pointed out. You'll look stupid doing it, but I'd rather look stupid for a few minutes than suffer playing a game with shin splints.

These days I still get sore shins, but they're not so bad that I can barely walk. Generally, if the inside of my shins start getting a touch of pain after a game or a hard run , I just stay off my legs the next day and I'm ok later.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

Shin splints

I'm going to have to try these exercises. It's hard to stay off my feet though when I have to walk around campus so much and I generally play on Sundays.

Another issue that I think aggravates the pain is getting kicked in the shin too.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I got shin splints really bad for a while, but I took to just sitting on the floor before a game with my legs straight, and pulling my toes towards me for a bit, and then just rubbing the shins down really firmly before a game. Seemed to work pretty well.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Thanks for the fullback advice guys. I played in a pickup game with small sided goals today and reaffirmed what I already knew. I seriously need to work on my cardio and lung capacity.

I did alright for the first 30. Some good marking, got an assist, a few good shot blocks, and even a couple perfect nutmegs to the center mids. I almost got a goal when I got a nice 1-2 on the mid flank with no one to cross to... had space so I moved up and up again after a failed block and was a few yards from goal, but lost control of the ball and it got booted back at the last second. :argh:

At that point I was completely winded and proceeded to play like complete poo poo for the next hour.

Mistakes included: 3 intercepted long passes to the left mid, one which resulted in a goal for the opp. Two near own goals on shots that wouldn't have made it in anyhow. Two hand balls. 1 was right in front of our goal (Hit me right in the gut and went out. I think only the CB I was covering noticed, so only technically a mistake). Being totally gassed and unable to mark anyone worth a drat or stay in position.

I did manage to send a couple nice through passes up the flank to the right mid who crossed them in for assists... but I called it a day right after I made a third one right to the opposing winger.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
A few questions:

Some of the guys playing CB really liked to push up... and sometimes they weren't too good at moving back quickly. That's an excuse, but it's frustrating when you end up jockeying down the final third and nobody is pulling back to help out. I mean if I see the CB doing that, I rush in to provide help... I'd say I was one of the least skilled/experienced players on the pitch, but I'm not sure I understand why they weren't hanging back more.

Regardless, what should I be trying to do in this instance? I'm not very confident of my tackling and thus do not enjoy filling in as a CB, but I want to work on this. As I said, I was really gassed by this point so you can guess what happened.

~

Any recommendation on staying hydrated? I'm not sure if it's my diet or what, but I can't help but feel like I'm sweating far more than I used to... it wasn't even warm out and I was totally dehydrated within the hour. I brought 24 oz of water with me and it was not enough. Ended up drinking 3 pints of juice from a convenience store before I even got home. Obviously I wasn't hydrated enough when I started playing.

Ok, I found this article which seems to answer some of my questions: http://thesoccerdiet.blogspot.com/2010/01/hydration-in-soccer_2040.html

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 13, 2012

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mixitwithblop posted:

A few questions:

Some of the guys playing CB really liked to push up... and sometimes they weren't too good at moving back quickly. That's an excuse, but it's frustrating when you end up jockeying down the final third and nobody is pulling back to help out. I mean if I see the CB doing that, I rush in to provide help... I'd say I was one of the least skilled/experienced players on the pitch, but I'm not sure I understand why they weren't hanging back more.

Regardless, what should I be trying to do in this instance? I'm not very confident of my tackling and thus do not enjoy filling in as a CB, but I want to work on this. As I said, I was really gassed by this point so you can guess what happened.

All you can do is show the opposition the line, like in that Franz Beckenbauer vid. Get the gk to shout at his defence if you don't feel comfortable doing it

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Breath Ray posted:

All you can do is show the opposition the line, like in that Franz Beckenbauer vid. Get the gk to shout at his defence if you don't feel comfortable doing it

No keeps, we were playing with small practice goals. If we had been playing with full goals I don't doubt the last hour would've been a nightmare for me.

irlZaphod posted:

Not really stuff you can practice, but it helps if you read the game well and have good positioning. If have neither of those things, you're probably hosed. Also you really need to be on the same page as the rest of the back line.

That's pretty much how it played out. I've got a good 3 months or so to get it sort out though, so I think I'll be alright by the time we start practice.

Other than the usual stuff, I made a list of primary things to work on:

1: Fitness
2: Positioning
3: Jockeying
4: First touch
5: Tackling
6: Watching a billion videos of fullbacks

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
When your center backs go forward you should yell at them. Then yell at them again, they're centerbacks, really they should never be running forward unless there is a free kick/corner, especially if they're not getting back.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
A CB without goalie is pretty much a goalie that can't use his hands.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

As a Sunday league manager let me just say that centre backs wandering off up the pitch with no good reason are the bane of my existence. There are basically 3 times for centre backs to go forward:

1) It's a set piece. In this case your job as a fullback is to cover for him.

2) It's late in the game, you need a goal and your manager specifically wants to pump the ball into the box from deep. In general if a team just wants to play more attacking it's far better to get the fullbacks forward to create more width than to add another player crowding up the centre, and also a bit less risky defensively.

3) The player is good on the ball, picks it up under no pressure and doesn't have any passing options. In this case he should carry the ball into the midfield to draw out the opposition and create space. If the centre back isn't as good he thinks he is this a recipe for disaster but it can be useful if he's actually good. See: Lucio, Ferdinand, Pique. Probably the only time you'll see it at amateur level is when you have a midfielder filling in at centre back, most won't have the technique to pull this off.

If you have a centre back who just drifts forward when your team has the ball then they're not really a centre back.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

artshavin posted:

If any of you suffer endlessly from shin splints like I do

K....Kieron?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Grievo posted:

K....Kieron?

He didn't say hepatitis.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

First game of the season down, 2-1 win in the bag :getin:

Played great, first half left mid and set up the goal with a crunching tackle and then a 40m through ball for a tapin past the keeper, and then striker in the second half and set up lots of opportunities and played great. Missed playing heaps over summer and had a dream start to the new year :D

Now just need to ice the ankle after a hard challenge and enjoy watching the league with a few beers :)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Friend of mine ruptured his cruciate ligament (:ohdear:) and asked me to fill his spot for tonights match of his team. Problem is I already have one scheduled tomorrow with my team.

Any advice on how to regenerate better so I am perfectly fit for two matches?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Friend of mine ruptured his cruciate ligament (:ohdear:) and asked me to fill his spot for tonights match of his team. Problem is I already have one scheduled tomorrow with my team.

Ice bath and massage, if possible. Then just keep up on the fluids and protein and get a good nights sleep.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Adulterous Hitler posted:

iajanus posted:

Ice bath and massage, if possible. Then just keep up on the fluids and protein and get a good nights sleep.

Epsom salt bath as well.

Also, 800mg of ibuprofen 30 min before the game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

Epsom salt bath as well.

Also, 800mg of ibuprofen 30 min before the game.

God yes. A thousand times yes.

Epsom baths are awesome.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

iajanus posted:

God yes. A thousand times yes.

Epsom baths are awesome.

Gonna take one right now... Indoor game last night was rough.

4-7. Was 1-5 at the half. Both of our regular keepers couldn't make it, and two of our best forwards were absent... I'm positive we would have won it otherwise.

I switched up top and center mid for the second half. Had four clear shots on goal myself. Only put one on target and it was caught by the keep. Didn't get enough on it. 1 hit the top right post, 1 hit the bottom left, and the other I stuck right into a defender. :(

Argh this game....

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First co-ed 7v7 game today. Bracing myself for my shins and ankles to be assaulted by horribly timed tackles.

Quick turnaround too, game at 4pm today and 8:30am tomorrow, the second being full sided. Haven't done that in a while, my legs are going to be useless on Monday.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I don't like playing with girls they use their elbows too much and I worry their breasts might explode if I tackle them

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Your co-ed leagues allow (slide) tackles? :raise:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No, but that doesn't stop someone from being an uncoordinated clod and having a nice whack at your ankles/anything that may or may not be in the vicinity of the ball.

I really only play in it because I see a ton of the ball and it lets me get some football fitness in and practice skills I wouldn't do in full sided games. It's also on grass which is a nice change from playing on turf a lot.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 14, 2012

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

pik_d posted:

Your co-ed leagues allow (slide) tackles? :raise:

Indoor usually never allows ground play. Safety aside, it's a bad idea regardless considering how bunched together everything is...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Breath Ray posted:

I don't like playing with girls they use their elbows too much and I worry their breasts might explode if I tackle them
I used to love the old league I played it, mainly because our team was loving dominant. Our star striker ended as top scorer and was female (GASP!). She was by far the best female player in the league and no guy wanted to tackle her in case they broke her. Watching a 5'4" girl winning 50/50's against a guy who predominantly played rugby and weighed about 16 stone is a memory that I will treasure forever.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I approach coed games the same way I do when I play against my nephews - it's non-contact and I will run and shoot at half speed. It's only fair!

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

I approach coed games the same way I do when I play against my nephews - it's non-contact and I will run and shoot at half speed. It's only fair!

gently caress that, half the time the girls are the dirtiest players on the pitch. One time I was shielding the ball out for a corner under pressure from a girl and she complained that I was being too physical because I was blocking her off. Next opportunity she got, she loving took my legs away.

I'll give girls the benefit of the doubt, but if they're prepared to mix it up I'm happy to give as good as I get.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The last time I played in a coed indoor league, I got tackled into the wall by a girl and ended up gashing my arm open on the corner of the bench door. Somehow, it wasn't a foul. gently caress that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Yeah I have definitely seen some of the dirtiest play from girls in coed leagues. I'm not sure if it's just the mentality of "they can't tackle me" or whatever, but they tend to go into challenges full force.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
I can also add that my worst injuries I've gotten from playing were inflicted by girls.

I've been trying to take it easy in indoor coed, except for last night when the other side started scoring like mad. I started throwing my weight around proper like. If you're good enough to play that well, then I see no need to go easy on you.

I don't blatantly foul, but I have no problem shoulder or hip checking a girl in a tackle. Also, if I'm dribbling I'll put my hands up to check if I think there will be a collision, but again it's not to foul. Just for protection.

Also, not sprinting? To hell with that, not doing full tackles is going easy enough. If another team is dominating, there's no reason not to apply heavy pressure unless you've got some other tactic to counter that with. I don't have the skill to fend off a fancy dribbler, so you can bet I will use what tools I do have.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Agree with all this. Had a nosebleed after an elbow within 30 seconds although in fairness the girl wasnt wearing a bra and you could see everything

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

Agree with all this. Had a nosebleed after an elbow within 30 seconds although in fairness the girl wasnt wearing a bra and you could see everything

Girls are dirty as all hell playing, but at least sometimes there are benefits. As long as you're not too concussed from the headshots...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Played the best loving 90 minutes of my life yesterday, owned everybody and scored seven off our ten goals. Amazing really.

Then I took all your advice about how to regenerate properly and replaced it with drinking lots of alcohol, eating carbs late at night and staying up until dawn.

Surprisingly I feel fine and can't wait to play again tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
So I've heard this is how you condition yourself to play fullback:

1)Dribble up the pitch
2)Kick ball to starting position
3)Sprint down the pitch

5)Repeat 1 to 3 until you puke

6)Do it again every 2 days