Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or just don't charge it because Verizon is sure as hell making a fuckload of money without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kyrosiris posted:

Or just don't charge it because Verizon is sure as hell making a fuckload of money without it.

Yeah, apparently they made something like $4.65B in profits last year.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I would like an agent to look me in the eye and tell me they are going to risk losing a contract re-up over $30.

Doesn't every other carrier have a $30-$35 activation fee to open a new line? It's a poorly thought out move to dump Verizon over a $30 upgrade fee, then pay $35 to another carrier to port over.

I am curious too, my corporate discount contract waives activation fees on 2 year agreements. I wonder if upgrade fees are also waived in that instance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

Doesn't every other carrier have a $30-$35 activation fee to open a new line? It's a poorly thought out move to dump Verizon over a $30 upgrade fee, then pay $35 to another carrier to port over.

I am curious too, my corporate discount contract waives activation fees on 2 year agreements. I wonder if upgrade fees are also waived in that instance.

I didn't say leave, I said re-up.

They hate having people off-contract because that person can leave at any time. If you are off contract for any more than a month they start tossing offers at you left and right. Might as well expense with the bullshit and waive the fee upfront.

If I go over to a Verizon store, pick out a phone, have them start the process of ringing it up and then say "there's a $30 upgrade fee", you can't tell me they are going to let me walk out the door without doing anything about it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

They hate having people off-contract because that person can leave at any time. If you are off contract for any more than a month they start tossing offers at you left and right. Might as well expense with the bullshit and waive the fee upfront.

If I go over to a Verizon store, pick out a phone, have them start the process of ringing it up and then say "there's a $30 upgrade fee", you can't tell me they are going to let me walk out the door without doing anything about it.

If its a corp store they wont care just like we dont really care about retaining customer at a retail level for AT&T.

Dont get me wrong, Reps care about your experience, but upgrade fees are just part of the process. And honestly, Its not hard to box the phone back up and say have a nice day.

Really, Id just call customer service about it and complain, get a credit from retentions later and call it a day. Theres no sense is stressing over it when theres a department purely to give out credits and save customers.

And no Corp LOVES customers out of contract, Its pure profit at that point. If you arnt paying them right now you will later when you realize every other carrier is the same way and at least you're used to the way big red does things.

To be honest, I'm actually shocked verizon had the balls to roll out 30$ fees after AT&T raised theres. Should of kept it off to look like good guys.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, apparently they made something like $4.65B in profits last year.

Verizon Wireless actually had a net income of $16.6B in 2010. [1]

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SpacedOut posted:

Verizon Wireless actually had a net income of $16.6B in 2010. [1]

Even less reason for this bullshit charge, then.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Even less reason for this bullshit charge, then.

But if, say, 1/3 of Verizon's customers renew their contracts, that's $1bn in additional revenue. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just giving the accountants perspective.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Pardon me when I say gently caress the accountants.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Buy your phones used then. There, saved you $30 and you don't even have to be on a contract!

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
or just throw a fit every time you go and upgrade, and they'll do it for free.

Kyrosiris posted:

Pardon me when I say gently caress the accountants.

:monocle:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I really wish I could share the corporate kool-aid going around on this, but its too internal.

It will be a charge on your bill, so even if you buy your phone from a 3rd part vendor, you will still be charged.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

I really wish I could share the corporate kool-aid going around on this, but its too internal.

It will be a charge on your bill, so even if you buy your phone from a 3rd part vendor, you will still be charged.

Err, so this charge is going to hit anytime you switch phones on your account? Or only if you switch phones when you're out of contract?

vvvvvv Ah yeah, my bad. "Buying third party" meant upgrading/buying subsidized, not just buying a random phone off-contract. Thanks.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 12, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

Err, so this charge is going to hit anytime you switch phones on your account? Or only if you switch phones when you're out of contract?

If you buy a brand new phone and upgrade you contract you pay it. You could buy one off-contract for full price (or used off ebay/CL/etc) and just have them simply transfer the correct info over, which I believe is free and takes all of a few minutes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Are they trying to cut out Amazon Wireless/etc. with this, then? (Especially since you would not as easily be able to brew a shitstorm about it and get it waived that way)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

If its a corp store they wont care just like we dont really care about retaining customer at a retail level for AT&T.

Dont get me wrong, Reps care about your experience, but upgrade fees are just part of the process. And honestly, Its not hard to box the phone back up and say have a nice day.
Yeah, it seems like all retentions has to do is say "You can pay us $30 and get a new phone. Or you can go to AT&T and pay $36 instead, and don't forget that we don't prorate when you cancel, so you're probably throwing half a month's access charges away there too. Or you can keep using your half broken LG Chocolate and see if we care; we're making more money while you're month-to-month."

Edit: that said, I've had people in a corporate store do good things for me in terms of retentions. Early this year I ported a number back that was originally only 3 months into contract (don't ask why, stupid move). Not only did they waive the ETF, they actually even reset the upgrade for me so I could get a home phone connect device for 20 bucks.

Maybe they're treating me nicer because I have 4 lines of service + a 4G hotspot and I am on a corporate plan, but it still surprised me nonetheless.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 13, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My little brother's LG Cosmos won't turn on. Since it's under a year old so it's still under warranty.

Physically it has some chipped paint/scratches. How beat up does a phone have to be in order for Verizon to charge you full retail when you get a warranty exchange?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
as long as there is no water damage, and no broken plastic, you will be ok.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

If you want to negotiate its Verizon that's great, but like other have said you are wasting your time negotiating that one with a sales rep, all the companies took away any magic "waive activation fee" buttons long ago, so there's nothing any of us can do. It obviously is a bullshit fee, but I'll tell you right now very very few people even flinch about it, as long as its on their next months bill it's allllll ok.

And credits wise at least I'm store I would bet they have a much bigger incentive to make a deal for new customers instead of upgrades. The payout is just nit and day difference.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Duckman2008 posted:

as long as its on their next months bill it's allllll ok.

This is accurate. People stop caring about fees and charges when "it's on your next month's bill so you don't need to pay for it right now."

It's frustrating that we can't do anything about these stupid fees, honestly. I think there's a hole opening up that one of these monthly access carriers needs to work toward filling. If, say, boostmobile got onto a good 4G network and spread their coverage throughout the states, they could take their current monthly no contract pricing structure and steal thousands of customers from other carriers. 50 bucks a month for a phone without a contract on good coverage with 4G? I'd move from Verizon immediately, and I've been with them for-loving-ever.

As it is, I see very very little chance of me ever leaving Verizon. I am grandfathered into the unlimited data for 29.99, on a family plan with my parents and brother. I pay 45 bucks a month for my phone on the best network without worrying about my data, minutes, or texts. Actually...just writing that makes me realize how good I actually have it. gently caress it, I'll pay that stupid 30 dollar fee. Still worth it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

as long as there is no water damage, and no broken plastic, you will be ok.

Looks like he broke off the little plastic flap that you can open/close to reveal the charging port. They would probably flip if they saw that, huh?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looks like he broke off the little plastic flap that you can open/close to reveal the charging port. They would probably flip if they saw that, huh?

No, that's perfectly fine. Seems like most people remove theirs. I'd consider myself quite the rear end in a top hat if I ever even thought of denying a warranty claim for such a small thing.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

nickhimself posted:

This is accurate. People stop caring about fees and charges when "it's on your next month's bill so you don't need to pay for it right now."

It's frustrating that we can't do anything about these stupid fees, honestly. I think there's a hole opening up that one of these monthly access carriers needs to work toward filling. If, say, boostmobile got onto a good 4G network and spread their coverage throughout the states, they could take their current monthly no contract pricing structure and steal thousands of customers from other carriers.

Boost is wholly owned by Sprint, and so is Virgin Mobile. The carrier hegemony in the US goes deeper than you think.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SpacedOut posted:

No, that's perfectly fine. Seems like most people remove theirs. I'd consider myself quite the rear end in a top hat if I ever even thought of denying a warranty claim for such a small thing.

Yeah I called Verizon on behalf of my parents (he's under their account) and we'll have a replacement by Tuesday :)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

nickhimself posted:

If, say, boostmobile got onto a good 4G network and spread their coverage throughout the states, they could take their current monthly no contract pricing structure and steal thousands of customers from other carriers. 50 bucks a month for a phone without a contract on good coverage with 4G? I'd move from Verizon immediately, and I've been with them for-loving-ever.

Most of these monthly carriers (Ting, Boost, Virgin) are just Sprint MVNOs, and they finally are working on a decent 4G footprint. That probably is your best bet for now.

(Does Verizon resell their network like that? I'd guess that they don't have to, since they already have more customers than just about anyone.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

(Does Verizon resell their network like that?
Do things like Straight Talk and Net10 count?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do things like Straight Talk and Net10 count?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

(Does Verizon resell their network like that? I'd guess that they don't have to, since they already have more customers than just about anyone.)

MVNOs that use VZ's network include Jitterbug, Page Plus, OnStar, Pure Mobile, and Omni Prepaid. Also, Straight Talk & TracFone use Verizon in some markets, and a company called KORE Telematics uses Verizon for its machine-to-machine connections. But to answer your question, no, Verizon is not the MVNO-whore that Sprint is.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The thing is, none of the MVNOs work on 4G and I don't know if there are any chances of that happening in the near future. Straight Talk, for example doesn't use the LTE part of the AT&T network, Virgin Mobile and Boost phones are purely 3G, and I don't think you can even activate a VZW 4G LTE phone on Page Plus.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Mark Larson posted:

Boost is wholly owned by Sprint, and so is Virgin Mobile. The carrier hegemony in the US goes deeper than you think.

Whaaat?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

You wont see a lot of Bionic love. It still hasn't been fixed correctly with its "no internet" problems.

As a Bionic owner (running a custom ROM, even) I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't get enough of this phone. The update to .902 did it one hell of a lot of good. My Bionic doesn't know how to lose 3G signal, and it hangs onto 4G for dear life when/if it's present.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Cricket is a known VZW reseller, or at least has contracts to run their network through VZW towers.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 14, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy posted:

As a Bionic owner (running a custom ROM, even) I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't get enough of this phone. The update to .902 did it one hell of a lot of good. My Bionic doesn't know how to lose 3G signal, and it hangs onto 4G for dear life when/if it's present.

Cricket is a known VZW reseller, or at least has contracts to run their network through VZW towers.

Cricket only uses Verizon on roaming agreements, it's base coverage is its own towers, and it relies on sprint for roaming first.

nickhimself posted:

Whaaat?

The US phone market sucks dude.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Cricket only uses Verizon on roaming agreements, it's base coverage is its own towers, and it relies on sprint for roaming first.

The US phone market sucks dude.

wow, I knew we had it bad, but I didn't know we had it this bad.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I got my Galaxy Nexus yesterday!!!!!
It's poo poo! Absolute poo poo! And this is coming from an android fanboy.
I went to VZW store and they gave me a new sim card and that didn't do anything.

Basically, my service cuts out randomly. Almost every phone call is dropped. And the data is either 4G-LTE at five bars or nothing.

VZW won't do anything else about it because apparantly amazon wireless and VZW aren't the best of friends. Amazon is sending me a new phone so hopefully that will take care of it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

That's the part that has always scared me about the G-Nex. In my mind, and from hundreds of anecdotes I've read over the years, radio robustness goes Motorola > HTC > Pringles Cantenna > Samsung

I certainly hope you just got a lemon of a unit, because it's really not supposed to be THAT bad.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Mark Larson posted:

The thing is, none of the MVNOs work on 4G and I don't know if there are any chances of that happening in the near future. Straight Talk, for example doesn't use the LTE part of the AT&T network, Virgin Mobile and Boost phones are purely 3G, and I don't think you can even activate a VZW 4G LTE phone on Page Plus.

Ting is a new Sprint MVNO, and they sell this: https://ting.com/devices/Moto-Photon

I don't own this device, so I can't confirm that it actually uses Sprint's 4G network. But if they sell you a "4G" device (and charge you nearly $600 for it), and then it doesn't actually use 4G, I think you'd have a darn good case for returning it/disputing the purchase on your credit card.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

TheReverend posted:

I had two and finally returned both. Some of what you're experiencing happened to me. It's too bad 4.0.5 is taking so long to be pushed out.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
As a heads up, the Burlington, VT area has LTE turned on for the last 3 weeks. Not Sure how far down I-89 it extends but I've got signal from exit 17 to exit 12.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
edit: nvm, thought I was in another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Ting is a new Sprint MVNO, and they sell this: https://ting.com/devices/Moto-Photon

I don't own this device, so I can't confirm that it actually uses Sprint's 4G network. But if they sell you a "4G" device (and charge you nearly $600 for it), and then it doesn't actually use 4G, I think you'd have a darn good case for returning it/disputing the purchase on your credit card.

Anyone who would spend nearly $600 on that phone (what with it being a WiMax device) needs to have their head examined.

• Locked thread