Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Just a little post-Easter cheer. I've not take pictures of Debbie until recently, and now I remember why. Stay still dammit!

She had a blast running around everyone's feet at dinner yesterday. I later found part of a cashew half in her cage, but other than that she managed not to scam any treats or get into the candy dishes. My sisters little chihuahua was totally enamored with Debbie and kept running into her cage to play.

She has a birthday coming up in June. I can't believe she's going to be 7 this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I just rubbed Dove bar soap over *every* potentially chewable surface in our new office. The new baseboards, door, chair and bookcases all smell fresh and clean. I also got the power cords, Lola's favorite snack. I guess I'll soon know how effective my new method of chew-prevention is!

Edit: I think she's mad...

Edit2: Pictures now that she's settled in! With a bonus picture of our apartment after the fire (2nd floor in the picture)!

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 10, 2012

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

dopaMEAN posted:

Bit of a fixer-upper.

Is that a Poäng chair from IKEA? Comfy for rabbits, and you're not sad when they're destroyed.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Lagos posted:

Bit of a fixer-upper.

Is that a Poäng chair from IKEA? Comfy for rabbits, and you're not sad when they're destroyed.

Yep! She loved the first one, too!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Sputnik is still growing. He's getting sweeter with every day that passes as well. When I pick him up now he licks my face non-stop until I put him down :3:. It's so hard not to play favorites.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bunnies have found a bunnysitter while I traipse around the world for the next ~4-5 months.

I miss them already and I haven't left yet. :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

You'll remember them all the time when you automatically make sure you don't leave any papers lying around on the floor, never leave the remote on the couch, and always watch your step when you go for the fridge. It's almost like still having rabbits!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I did some price-checking locally for CareFresh Ultra and I'm shocked at the prices around here. The 50L bags go for anywhere from $25-30 each. I can get it from PetCo via Amazon for $14.99 each w/ $5.99 shipping for as many as I want to buy.

Helloooooooo giant box of rabbit litter!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I can't get Carefresh around here any more :qq: Because my other options were pine shavings or pine shavings, I had to get barley straw which I don't think is bad for them but I know it's gonna be such a huge mess when they start digging. Carefresh is the one thing they didn't track all through the house. Now I have to find something else.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

You'll remember them all the time when you automatically make sure you don't leave any papers lying around on the floor, never leave the remote on the couch, and always watch your step when you go for the fridge. It's almost like still having rabbits!

The first 24 hours after I dropped them off I could swear I heard them rustling some paper or digging into the carpet or something. I kept twitching to try to see them.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Whenever I'm at anyone's place and I see something move in the corner of my eye I look for a bun, especially at my mom's house even though there haven't been any buns there for years.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I just ordered 80 lbs of 3rd-cut timothy from KMS and 132 lbs of Carefresh from Amazon. Hooray for buying in bulk?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

I just ordered 80 lbs of 3rd-cut timothy from KMS and 132 lbs of Carefresh from Amazon. Hooray for buying in bulk?

I wish I could afford the shipping on that much hay. I never go over 25lb because FedEx is ridiculous.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

I wish I could afford the shipping on that much hay. I never go over 25lb because FedEx is ridiculous.
$54 for hay, $60 for shipping. Should last a whole year though :3:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
What older bun diets do you guys suggest?

I have a rescue here that spent the last 4 years in an outside hutch because the previous owner didn't want to deal with him anymore. He's 9, and too old to be fixed at this point, but other than the stray pellet and occasional humping behavior he's a sweet rabbit. They had him on pellets and when we got him he had sludge really, really bad. Since then, I've taken him off of pellets and give him lots of fresh greens/cilantro/etc and free feed orchard grass, and his sludge has stopped completely. He's also dropped weight, which isn't a bad thing considering his past sedentary, corpulent life but I want to make sure he's eating the right things to not drop too much. I've tried supplementing with pellets on occasion but it's literally instant sludge when I do.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

DS at Night posted:

I can't get Carefresh around here any more :qq: Because my other options were pine shavings or pine shavings, I had to get barley straw which I don't think is bad for them but I know it's gonna be such a huge mess when they start digging. Carefresh is the one thing they didn't track all through the house. Now I have to find something else.

Have you tried wood stove fuel pellets?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

peengers posted:

What older bun diets do you guys suggest?

I have a rescue here that spent the last 4 years in an outside hutch because the previous owner didn't want to deal with him anymore. He's 9, and too old to be fixed at this point, but other than the stray pellet and occasional humping behavior he's a sweet rabbit. They had him on pellets and when we got him he had sludge really, really bad. Since then, I've taken him off of pellets and give him lots of fresh greens/cilantro/etc and free feed orchard grass, and his sludge has stopped completely. He's also dropped weight, which isn't a bad thing considering his past sedentary, corpulent life but I want to make sure he's eating the right things to not drop too much. I've tried supplementing with pellets on occasion but it's literally instant sludge when I do.

That's about exactly how I feed my old sludge prone guys (including several 10 and 12 year olds and a 14 year old). Several of those were also old hutch rescues, they definitely lost weight in their post-hutch situations, but all stabilized at lower weights with no problem.

I do like to alternate timothy, orchard, and bluegrass in the thinnest ones. They all seem to eat more when they have different types of hay each day.

Also 9 isn't necessarily too old to neuter, depending on how much you trust your vet. I had an 8 year old neutered with no problem and he lived another four years. :colbert: (But yeah he's also probably fine staying intact.)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

$54 for hay, $60 for shipping. Should last a whole year though :3:

Maybe I should take a look at ordering larger quantities next time. It looks like the prices even out a bit more. I'm a little worried about having gotten a small box of 3rd cut...I don't want Debbie to get all picky about her selection. Is it true that rabbits go absolutely nuts for the third cut, as far as preference over 2nd?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

Maybe I should take a look at ordering larger quantities next time. It looks like the prices even out a bit more. I'm a little worried about having gotten a small box of 3rd cut...I don't want Debbie to get all picky about her selection. Is it true that rabbits go absolutely nuts for the third cut, as far as preference over 2nd?

Cilantro eats more of the 3rd-cut timothy because it's more leaves and less stems than 2nd-cut, which helps with her lack of incisors. I think we waste less with 3rd cut, so I try to keep it stocked because KMS has run out in the past and waiting all summer for more to be cut in Oct really sucks.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Oh man, running out of hay is the worst. I forgot to reorder on time in the past and bought a small bag of Oxbow hay(which she ate religiously before we switched) to tide her over. It was all stems and dust and she only ate maybe 40% of what I gave to her.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

Oh man, running out of hay is the worst.

Never again! Go big or go home!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I received my box of hay on Saturday and Debbie won't have anything to do with it. For some reason this box of 2nd cut is a lot softer than the last box an she just throws it aside. I kind of want to call and complain, but they're not going to send me another box because my rabbit is picky :/ She better start eating that hay because it's not cheap!

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
Hiiii everyone.

I just recently adopted my first bunbun. The family didnt take care of her what so ever. her incisors are over grown and im getting them grinded by the vet tomorrow. my second biggest problem with her is potty training. i dont know if what im doing is wrong, and ive heard getting her fixed will help (which im going to do, i just cant afford it right now, after various fines and this dental bit).

she wasnt potty trained at all. she is naturally favoring TWO corners which I dont know what to do with. what has kind of been working: a box with hay with a corner potty. i give her free roam when im home, and if she poops outside of her cage i immediately correct it and put her in her litter box. its been a serious struggle.

tips?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Honestly, just get her spayed ASAP. Since money is a problem, look into low cost neuter/spay centers in your area. It can be done for as little as $65 in some areas.

It was almost impossible for us to train our Freya until she was spayed. Amusingly enough she looks just like your bun except with brown spots instead of black :)

Edit:

Had to post this picture of Sputnik to share.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 19, 2012

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Crazy question; my bf is moving in with me in a couple of days. Should I expect behavioral differences from Hass with a new person around? (My bf is also the owner of the cat I have bonded the bun with. I'm basically teaching him how to take care of Hass as I learn.)

voodoonoid fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 20, 2012

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
her teeth tomorrow are costing me $160ish... i just got slapped with fines of $1200 due very soon... soooo she wont be able to be fixed for another couple months :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

voodoonoid posted:

Crazy question; my bf is moving in with me in a couple of days. Should I expect behavioral differences from Hass with a new person around?

Well not every rabbit is the same but... YES.

My evil dwarf will outright attack some visitors or merely lunge at others, but even my dopey lop will become a royal pain in the rear end and start throwing all his things around if there's new people in the house. Never forget that rabbits like things to stay the same all the time.

Oh and rabbits and cats don't bond. Read some of Alucinor's posts on that subject :|

beautifck posted:

her teeth tomorrow are costing me $160ish... i just got slapped with fines of $1200 due very soon... soooo she wont be able to be fixed for another couple months :(

Well as long as you do plan on getting her fixed as that is very very important. Sadly in the meantime you will probably have to suffer through a lot of rabbit piss.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
a Rug Doctor will take bunny pee out of carpets :)

Evil dwarf and derpy lop... we have the same bunnies!

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
My Flemish giant went into stasis due to gas a couple days ago (started giving simethecone as soon as we noticed, then took him to the vet the next day and got Metacam, Reglan, and Critical Care). His poops are slowly returning to normal appearance, though not yet normal number. He enthusiastically eats veggies, seems to be eating a lot of hay, and is eating maybe a quarter of his usual amount of pellets. We skipped the Critical Care this morning because he is eating a decent amount and because force feeding him is a battle of epic proportions (he is freakishly strong)...do you guys think that was okay? I'm going to ask the vet about it later and I'm thinking it's probably okay, but it's hard to shake the motherly paranoia.

Also, he apparently has fur mites (thought it was just a patch of dry skin, but apparently not). I guess I just didn't think an indoor rabbit kept in a clean area would get something like that...I feel awful. The vet gave him Revolution to treat it. Has anyone else had to deal with fur mites? How big of a bitch is this going to be to deal with?

Oh, and he also officially has arthritis now (despite being on glucosamine), though that's to be expected in a nearly 6 year old Flemish.

I feel like a failure. Ugh.

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
goodnews, the vet bill only came to 120 with food formula for later when i do get the molars done.

with further inspection fenna turned out to be a boy :P
so he needs to get fixed asap.. hes pretty good with peeing in his litter box, just pooing the odd time here and there.

he did really well at the vet today i was so proud of him :)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

DS at Night posted:

Oh and rabbits and cats don't bond. Read some of Alucinor's posts on that subject :|

Just because they don't bond in the traditional sense doesn't mean that they can't form a bond of sorts and become good pals. As long as playtime is supervised and encouraged in a series of small doses. It's not really a common friendship, but I've seen it happen with my own pets as well as some family and friends who've have both cats and rabbits.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Pig Boots posted:

My Flemish giant went into stasis due to gas a couple days ago (started giving simethecone as soon as we noticed, then took him to the vet the next day and got Metacam, Reglan, and Critical Care). His poops are slowly returning to normal appearance, though not yet normal number. He enthusiastically eats veggies, seems to be eating a lot of hay, and is eating maybe a quarter of his usual amount of pellets. We skipped the Critical Care this morning because he is eating a decent amount and because force feeding him is a battle of epic proportions (he is freakishly strong)...do you guys think that was okay? I'm going to ask the vet about it later and I'm thinking it's probably okay, but it's hard to shake the motherly paranoia.

Also, he apparently has fur mites (thought it was just a patch of dry skin, but apparently not). I guess I just didn't think an indoor rabbit kept in a clean area would get something like that...I feel awful. The vet gave him Revolution to treat it. Has anyone else had to deal with fur mites? How big of a bitch is this going to be to deal with?

Oh, and he also officially has arthritis now (despite being on glucosamine), though that's to be expected in a nearly 6 year old Flemish.

I feel like a failure. Ugh.

I think you had mentioned it before but when did you start him on the Glucosamine?

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Noise Complaint posted:

I think you had mentioned it before but when did you start him on the Glucosamine?

2 is the recommended age. I think they all end up getting arthritis to some degree anyway, but the glucosamine keeps it from getting overly severe? Something like that...my brain isn't wanting to function very well right now. My Flemish also has some things that complicate matters (bad posture/positioning habits...puts his weight on his hocks, prefers to lay on one side, etc), so that appears to have had an influence on the development if his arthritis. The smaller rabbits can get arthritis too as they head into old age, but the big rabbits are heavier and hit old age sooner, so they have it worse and require more precautionary measures. It was assumed that he had arthritis by sheer virtue of him being a Flemish, but the X-ray taken to assess his gas confirmed where the arthritis was and that it was definitely present. Even with the arthritis, he is still strong, active, and loves to binky, so it's not like they become completely feeble once it develops.

Edited to add: while we're on the subject of glucosamine, here is a spectacular excerpt from a glucosamine study:

"Thirty-six rabbits were split into four groups: one group was fed Glucosamine, one group Chondroitin, and one group Glucosamine and Chondroitin in addition to their regular rabbit feed.  The fourth group was essentially getting a placebo (just the normal food).  The rabbits were not told which were getting supplementation."

Pig Boots fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 20, 2012

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

beautifck posted:

Hiiii everyone.

I just recently adopted my first bunbun. The family didnt take care of her what so ever. her incisors are over grown and im getting them grinded by the vet tomorrow. my second biggest problem with her is potty training. i dont know if what im doing is wrong, and ive heard getting her fixed will help (which im going to do, i just cant afford it right now, after various fines and this dental bit).

she wasnt potty trained at all. she is naturally favoring TWO corners which I dont know what to do with. what has kind of been working: a box with hay with a corner potty. i give her free roam when im home, and if she poops outside of her cage i immediately correct it and put her in her litter box. its been a serious struggle.

tips?

Keep at it. You'll never really realize when it clicks with her, but it will eventually, spayed or not--mine got it down prior to her spaying.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

beautifck posted:

Hiiii everyone.

tips?

I wouldn't be giving the rabbit free roam territory just yet, especially of she's not spayed. I personally believe that rabbits have to understand where their territory is before they will box train. If their territory is too big, they just go everywhere in an attempt to establish additional territory. I would set up a nice big cage and do what you're doing with box placement in that more restricted environment. Hopefully, she will start associating the box with it being the bathroom and use it pretty well.

As for reactive strategies, the rabbit will not understand if you correct it when it's already gone outside the box. Rabbit behavior is easier to change through careful environmental arrangement. I would ignore accidents right now.

When she needs to come out for exercise that's fine, just don't put her in an area where accidents will be a problem. Once you can get her spayed things will change for the better.

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
thanks for all the advice :)

how many hours a day would you say is fair to play time outside the cage then? i take him out alot, just to hangout on the couch and whatever. hes pretty good with his litter box now, the odd accident so I suppose that will change when I get him fixed.

Its amazing how long his teeth were, the vet let me keep his teeth haha!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I've heard it said in the thread, at least 4 hours a day of playtime is recommended. Personally I let them out almost all of the time I'm home.

Oh if his teeth were that long, he probably didn't get a lot of hay, make sure he gets a lot of that and hopefully you don't have to do the expensive teeth trim anymore.

Edit: getting a boy fixed is less expensive than getting a girl fixed, so that's a spot of good luck.

Windy posted:

Just because they don't bond in the traditional sense doesn't mean that they can't form a bond of sorts and become good pals. As long as playtime is supervised and encouraged in a series of small doses. It's not really a common friendship, but I've seen it happen with my own pets as well as some family and friends who've have both cats and rabbits.

Ehhhhh I'm not sure it ever works. Even if people say "my rabbit is totally the dominant one, he kicks that cat's rear end!" that's not a good thing. That means the rabbit is scared and is lunging at the cat as a sort of defensive strike. Even if they are on equal terms it only needs to go wrong once for the rabbit to drop dead. I've definitely known a case of that happening. I would say if anybody who already has a rabbit is considering getting a cat or vice versa, they should get either two rabbits or two cats instead. It would be much better for them.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Noise Complaint posted:

Honestly, just get her spayed ASAP. Since money is a problem, look into low cost neuter/spay centers in your area. It can be done for as little as $65 in some areas.

It was almost impossible for us to train our Freya until she was spayed. Amusingly enough she looks just like your bun except with brown spots instead of black :)

Edit:

Had to post this picture of Sputnik to share.

Oh my god I have to get a Flemish Giant just because of your pictures. :3:

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
I do let him out, or open his door when im home. but he even seems to be content to hangout in his bedroom even with the door open. he doesnt spray or anything so thats good. i will get him fixed asap, after his molars are done though...

the family i rescued him from had him in a 2.5ft x 2.5ft cage.. gross PINE shavings.. no toys or hay. he didnt even know what to do with hay when i first gave it to him. but at least hes eating it for the most part... 60% hay is better than nothing.
do you think if i let him meet a fixed female he will start spraying or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010
One of my bunnies has something wrong with her eye, it is slightly weepy and she is squinting, doesn't seem to be painful though. What could be going on? I will be taking her to the vet, but is there anything I can do until I get her there? I don't have a car until Thursday, can this wait until then or should I try and figure another way to get her there? Before anyone chews me out I will walk there if needed tomorrow.

Why do pets always get sick at the worst time?