Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And here it is (crappy cell phone pic). Took a drive this evening down to Dauphin Island for a burger and a couple beers for date night with the wife:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
To anyone who has driven both a circa 2008 and a 2012 v6, should the 2012 brake pedal be much harder? I feel like I have to put more effort to get them to bite.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

To anyone who has driven both a circa 2008 and a 2012 v6, should the 2012 brake pedal be much harder? I feel like I have to put more effort to get them to bite.

That's a good thing. You get better brake feedback and you can heel and toe without putting your passenger's face into the dashboard.

quote:

And here it is (crappy cell phone pic).
I like those wheels a hell of a lot better than the 2011 (non-Brembo) GT wheels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't compare to earlier Mustangs, but I can say that the 2011 brakes are much firmer than the other cars I've driven recently. You get used to it, at which point braking in those other vehicles loses a certain amount of desired subtlety.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Good to hear, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some weird vacuum issue on a brand new car. Honestly its not "annoying". More like unusual. Normal breaking pressure on my 2012 is basically "LOCK THE BRAKES" pressure on the 2008.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
That's interesting, the brake pedal on my '11 GT is close to being family-car mushy. The brakes stop pretty well, but the pedal feel is not good. I don't have the Brembo option if it matters.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
The pedal on my '11 GT with the brembo option is pretty firm. It's no lancer evo, but it's much firmer than even my 330i ZHP was.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The love of my life:

This car seriously has the same ... spirit? ... as me. Loud, brash, fun, impulsive ... I love it. Picked her up with 118k and no serious issues. I'll probably need to do the clutch soon (it engages very near the top of the pedal travel, and the point where it grips moves, as it were. No actual clutch slip whatsoever.) and she could use shocks, but she's been very well cared for.

I've posted about this a bit, but I was driving around tonight and had occasion to throw her in neutral alongside 2 other New Edge GTs - she's definitely louder. In the AM i'll look underneath and try to see why.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Krakkles posted:

I've posted about this a bit, but I was driving around tonight and had occasion to throw her in neutral alongside 2 other New Edge GTs - she's definitely louder. In the AM i'll look underneath and try to see why.

Being a California car I'm going to guess hollowed cats and flowmasters.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Krakkles posted:

The love of my life:

This car seriously has the same ... spirit? ... as me. Loud, brash, fun, impulsive ... I love it. Picked her up with 118k and no serious issues. I'll probably need to do the clutch soon (it engages very near the top of the pedal travel, and the point where it grips moves, as it were. No actual clutch slip whatsoever.) and she could use shocks, but she's been very well cared for.

The best mod I've ever made on my '98 was to replace the yellowed, hazy headlights. Not with stupid bullshit headlights, just replace them with new, normal looking ones - stock if you can find it. Makes the car look years younger.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

vote_no posted:

The best mod I've ever made on my '98 was to replace the yellowed, hazy headlights. Not with stupid bullshit headlights, just replace them with new, normal looking ones - stock if you can find it. Makes the car look years younger.

Agreed. I bought a polish kit because it was ~$10 on amazon for the 3M kit, but I suspect the next move is going to be a new set of headlights.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. I bought a polish kit because it was ~$10 on amazon for the 3M kit, but I suspect the next move is going to be a new set of headlights.

I tried a few different kinds of polish kits for my old '04. Ended up spending almost as much as some replacements would cost on ebay.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Aberroyc posted:

I tried a few different kinds of polish kits for my old '04. Ended up spending almost as much as some replacements would cost on ebay.

Yeah, the only reason I went for this instead of the new housings is that it was about $9.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
On my 330, I just took the housings out then wetsanded them with 1500 and 2000 grit. hit them up with some polish and wax after that. looked like new.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, the only reason I went for this instead of the new housings is that it was about $9.

Definitely worth a shot for $9. My biggest problem is that they would re-oxidize fairly quick after.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Aberroyc posted:

Definitely worth a shot for $9. My biggest problem is that they would re-oxidize fairly quick after.
Yeah, the amazon reviews mentioned that. I figured I'd throw this on, and if it ends up lasting 2 years, do it again. If it lasts 2 months, I'll just buy a new set of housings :)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Anyone noticed a slight "whirring" noise when shifting 1-2 2-3 on the 2012?

e: To elaborate more, it seems to occur actually while my foot is on the clutch in the during a shift and then it goes away.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 16, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

e: To elaborate more, it seems to occur actually while my foot is on the clutch in the during a shift and then it goes away.
I realize it's basically a completely different car, but in my 2000, there's a definite sound from the power steering pump at the same exact moment. At least, that's what it sounds like.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I realize it's basically a completely different car, but in my 2000, there's a definite sound from the power steering pump at the same exact moment. At least, that's what it sounds like.

His power steering pump is electric. ;)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Soooo tempted to get the Borla Type S cat/axleback. Only thing holding me back is the $800 price tag. Also trying to find a standard / non metal 6sp shifter knob. That thing gets HOT.

BTW, what's the best Mustang forums these days (besides this thread, obviously)? Back in the day, corral.net used to be the placed to go, but after spending some time there browsing this weekend...blargh...Maybe I'm just older than I used to be when I was a member there, but good God...

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 16, 2012

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tide posted:

Soooo tempted to get the Borla Type S cat/axleback. Only thing holding me back is the $800 price tag. Also trying to find a standard / non metal 6sp shifter knob. That thing gets HOT.

And also freezing loving cold in mid-winter. Really, it is a very poor choice of material on Ford's part.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have a feeling I'm going to need to order one from Ford - the ones that come on a 'base' GT. Would prefer leather, but that's possibly not an option.

Pun
Oct 7, 2002

I'm not gonna lie to ya, I'm a very big man. A little bit of lube sometimes - it's just the humane thing to do.
I have a '12 base GT and replaced the cheap looking leather shift knob with a Barton one when I swapped out the shifter. They do fit the stock shifter.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tide posted:

BTW, what's the best Mustang forums these days (besides this thread, obviously)? Back in the day, corral.net used to be the placed to go, but after spending some time there browsing this weekend...blargh...Maybe I'm just older than I used to be when I was a member there, but good God...

Modular Fords is my default recommendation.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/04/16/mustang-makeover-what-does-ford-have-in-mind/

Apparently, Ford may style the 2015 Mustang similar to the upcoming Fusion, and therefore similar to their Evos concept.

"The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Don't like it, as a Mustang, anyway.

frozenphil posted:

Modular Fords is my default recommendation.

Thanks!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

To elaborate even more this seems to be shifter vibration. In the middle of a shift, with the engine at 3-4k rpm, it seems that I can get the sound to come up just by moving the shifter to the left (between 1-2) without actually putting it in gear.

Wombot posted:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/04/16/mustang-makeover-what-does-ford-have-in-mind/

Apparently, Ford may style the 2015 Mustang similar to the upcoming Fusion, and therefore similar to their Evos concept.

"The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall."

That's one angry looking car...doesn't look too mustang-y though...

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

If they want to kill the mustang brand making it look similar to that would be a great start.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
If Subaru drops the ball on the next gen STi and Mitsu follows through with their threat to kill the Evo (both looking likely) I will buy that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I just programmed the LearŽ Car2UŽ system in my car for my apartment gate. Besides the wait on hold for a representative (ran the engine and A/C for this), it was pretty easy and they were very friendly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It looks like they're taking some cues from the Toyobaru (and Aston Martin, of course).

Frankly, I like it. But I guess I'm not the typical Mustang enthusiast.

Just got the summer rubber put back on my 'Stang. I love it year-round, but with the winter tires taken off, I love it just that much more!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So are there any rear wheel drive platforms that Lincoln is using? I bet we will get a EUCD platform mustang. RIP 650 hp mustang, you will be missed. Buy them up while you can.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

shodanjr_gr posted:

To elaborate even more this seems to be shifter vibration. In the middle of a shift, with the engine at 3-4k rpm, it seems that I can get the sound to come up just by moving the shifter to the left (between 1-2) without actually putting it in gear.

I get a sound like this in my 2012 boss, but I don't think it is from moving the shifter around. I'll have to play with it on the way home and see if I can replicate it more exactly, I guess.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I still say it won't be a 2014 model. 3 years isn't enough and Ford has kept refreshing the look of the Mustang. I can't believe the current refresh won't get 2 models years. Why bother with all the styling updates if you're gonna ditch it a year later?. 65 is the 50th aniversary so we'll probably see a 2015, introduced in early 2014 as a complete redesign.

Personally I think it looks terrible but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person. I had a feeling they were gonna ruin it when it became a world car because the Mustang is uniquely American, take that away and I think it starts to lose a little bit of what made it special in the first place. This feels a lot like back in the day when the Ford Probe was getting floated as the replacement Mustang with FWD and no V8 option.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gwaihir posted:

I get a sound like this in my 2012 boss, but I don't think it is from moving the shifter around. I'll have to play with it on the way home and see if I can replicate it more exactly, I guess.

Aaaand no dice. I'm pretty sure in my case it only happened when the transmission was cold, and we're already back in to the 90s down here in Florida. I don't know about yours, but my transmission pulls a complete night and day difference depending on the temperature. It *really* does not like shifting 1-2 and 2-3 (although less so this one) when it is cool to cold. Driving around after an hour or on a scorching day and it's smooth as butter snick-snick-snick though.

My damned clutch pedal did start squeaking though! time for some WD40.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Aaaand no dice. I'm pretty sure in my case it only happened when the transmission was cold, and we're already back in to the 90s down here in Florida. I don't know about yours, but my transmission pulls a complete night and day difference depending on the temperature. It *really* does not like shifting 1-2 and 2-3 (although less so this one) when it is cool to cold. Driving around after an hour or on a scorching day and it's smooth as butter snick-snick-snick though.

My damned clutch pedal did start squeaking though! time for some WD40.

thanks for checking it out. It doesn't seem to be a transmission issue since shifts are very smooth (I've driven in temperature ranges from 40 to 80. Yes I can tell the temperature now because contrary to the 08, this gir comes with a thermometer standard =P).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

Make the head lights twice as tall, shrink the height of the grill a bit, add a small bumper, remove the Ford emblem and replace it with a pony on the grill. I suck at Photoshop, but I think those small changes could easily make the car look very much like a modern Mustang.

Elephanthead posted:

So are there any rear wheel drive platforms that Lincoln is using? I bet we will get a EUCD platform mustang. RIP 650 hp mustang, you will be missed. Buy them up while you can.

You think we will get the next Mustang on a FWD sedan/minivan platform? I was under the impression that the Mustang is getting a brand new platform, it just will not be unique to the Mustang any longer.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 16, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wombot posted:

That looks a billion times better than the current Mustang. About time Ford showed some balls about the looks of the Mustang, rather than revisiting old designs.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've been expecting something like this since the evos concept first came out. If anything I was surprised they used that concept's design cues for the fusion/mondeo. A more coupe-like profile might make it more appropriate looking, the concept had a weird four-door gullwing thing going on that made it look more like a hatchback (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Another shot of the concept that shows what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Aberroyc posted:

The Sylvania kit I bought has a UV coat you add as the last step to specifically combat this.