Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
There are handguards on my bike, and I wanted to take them off to put on grip puppies. It seems, though, that the bolts on the ends of the handlebars where the guards attach spin in either direction with no effect. Is there some trick I don't know or am I just being stupid and not turning long enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Pull up a picture of mounting hardware for barkbusters and it will make more sense. You can unscrew it, but that will leave a kind of spreader nut and knurled casing inside. As long as the nut stays put you could just unscrew the bolt.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

MotoMind posted:

Pull up a picture of mounting hardware for barkbusters and it will make more sense. You can unscrew it, but that will leave a kind of spreader nut and knurled casing inside. As long as the nut stays put you could just unscrew the bolt.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Well now. I adjusted my chain. It was about 40mm of play. Now it's down to about 30mm. (Spec is 25-30mm)

The adjuster measurement guides were horse poo poo. One side would move 5-7mm back and forth with the axel nut loosened. So I decided to ignore the poo poo out of them and measure from the swing arm bolt. And I'm OCD. So this took forever.

I also replaced my cracked pillion mount. I hate removing/reinstalling bushings. I'm terrible at it.

I'm still enjoying the bike. Tinker time is happy time. And you get the satisfaction knowing the time was taken to make it right.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
My friend got a KZ1000 last night. Looked it over and he rode it around the block a bit, he says it feels "shuddery". And the steering has some play in it; a little outside the center there is a noticable clinky-feeling before going smooth again.

Is this some kind of tripletree bushing issue?

Also apparently he said in and around 1/4 throttle there's almost no power until you go past it. The handgrip throttle has 2 throttle cables and one is disconnected, is this a/the problem?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 15, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

darkhand posted:

My friend got a KZ1000 last night. Looked it over and he rode it around the block a bit, he says it feels "shuddery". And the steering has some play in it; a little outside the center there is a noticable clinky-feeling before going smooth again.

Also apparently he said in and around 1/4 throttle there's almost no power until you go past it. The handgrip throttle has 2 throttle cables and one is disconnected, is this a/the problem?
Probably needs new steering head bearings. There won't be any bushings in there. Strongly advise not riding it until this is fixed. Any issues with steering on bikes can be real dangerous.

As for throttle, sounds more like a carb issue than cables. The cables just assure smooth actuation between the twist grip and the carbs. If you're getting a flat spot in the power, it's usually the carbs. Crappy power on the low end is usually issues with idle screw adjustment or clogged idle jets.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

darkhand posted:

If it's an old KZ1000 it's got roller bearings for the steering head. Replacing those with tapered bearings is a 1 hour job and totally worth it.

Yes, a missing return-cable is a problem but it's not responsible for 1/4 throttle lack of response - dirty carburetors are.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Thanks I will relay this to him. The bike is in pretty nice shape (LTD) and he got it for 1500$, it seemed like a good deal and if these are cheap/easy fixes I think he did really well. Dirty carbs make sense, the bike didn't sound all that great at idle and he said it started to clean up quite a bit with speed. Most of the plugs were pretty clean except for one, so we'll check that carb first.

I hope the "shuddering" he described is just one of those aforementioned issues. The chain seemed a tad tight, but it had about an inch of play, so it's probably ok.

This bike is almost comically quiet too, I was really shocked when I heard it. Not that that's an issue, it was just weird.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 15, 2012

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
I got a 2005 R6 and I know while they are not the most comfortable of bikes for long distances, I have this weird problem where after riding it for about 40 minutes or so, my right hand/lower arm will fall asleep and get all numb/tingly.

At first I thought because the bike was relatively new and I was holding on to the throttle too hard, but even now after having had the bike for 6 months it still happens. The weird thing is, my left hand does not do that all.

Is that just bad ergonomics, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank in advance!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Glove and/or jacket cuff aren't too tight when you're holding the throttle open?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Do you put a lot of pressure on your wrist on your right hand? By that I mean really lean on it compared to your other hand.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

cixelsyd posted:

I got a 2005 R6 and I know while they are not the most comfortable of bikes for long distances, I have this weird problem where after riding it for about 40 minutes or so, my right hand/lower arm will fall asleep and get all numb/tingly.

At first I thought because the bike was relatively new and I was holding on to the throttle too hard, but even now after having had the bike for 6 months it still happens. The weird thing is, my left hand does not do that all.

Is that just bad ergonomics, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank in advance!

If it's just vibrations, it might be worthwhile to experiment with some heavier bar ends.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Glove and/or jacket cuff aren't too tight when you're holding the throttle open?

I'll try not velcro'ing my right glove next time. The cuff on the jacket is usually a little bit more open so i can try to put the glove in it.

Shimrod posted:

Do you put a lot of pressure on your wrist on your right hand? By that I mean really lean on it compared to your other hand.

I really try not to, I've even tried leaning more on the left hand and that didn't seem to help

Sir Cornelius posted:

If it's just vibrations, it might be worthwhile to experiment with some heavier bar ends.

I bought my bike used and it looks like it has these on it (I thought they were part of the frame sliders *whoops*):
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/44727/ITEM/BikeMaster-Anti-Vibration-Bar-Ends.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Bar%20Ends&WT.MC_ID=10010
Do you have any other suggestions for bar ends I should try?

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions everyone!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

cixelsyd posted:

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions everyone!

Try picking up something like this: http://throttlerocker.com/ a.k.a http://www.crampbuster.com/

My right hand used to cramp up something fierce because I had to maintain pressure on the throttle. This lets me relax my grip when it gets uncomfortable. It's much better.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I just signed up for BRC courses, When they say above ankle shoes, Can I wear my Hi-top DC's or should I go down to walmart and buy work boots?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I wore an old pair of combat boots for mine -- you can get those for like 30 bucks at just about any army surplus place. If you're going to go out and buy something new, might as well splurge a little more and get motorcycle-specific stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Tenchrono posted:

I just signed up for BRC courses, When they say above ankle shoes, Can I wear my Hi-top DC's or should I go down to walmart and buy work boots?

Pretty sure they allowed hi top shoes in my BRC. I wore some hiking boots I had laying around. Don't go all out with gear - it's hot and you'll regret it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks, I'll wear my DC's. The courses provide a helmet but would it look weird if I show up in my own? I'm getting a bike right after and just thought it would be nice to get used to my own.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd take my own instead of wearing a grungy helmet they provide. The sooner you get used to it the better imo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cixelsyd posted:

I'll try not velcro'ing my right glove next time. The cuff on the jacket is usually a little bit more open so i can try to put the glove in it.

Put your gauntlets outside of your jacket, not inside. Used to have a similar problem when I put my gauntlets inside the sleeves rather than outside.

Dsparil
Feb 18, 2012

Gun Addict
Who makes a good solid cruiser motorcycle with an automatic transmission? I've heard Ridley is junk. Does anyone make a decent one?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dsparil posted:

Who makes a good solid cruiser motorcycle with an automatic transmission? I've heard Ridley is junk. Does anyone make a decent one?

Honda had the DN-01, note past tense. And while it's an automatic cruiser, I can't vouch for good, solid or decent. The other automatic bikes I can think of, apart from step throughs, are the Aprilia Mana 850 (naked standard) and the Honda VFR1200 (sports tourer).

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Dsparil posted:

Yamaha FJR1300 has a semi but really, why...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Cruiser? None have ever been made, far as I know. Closest thing is probably a Moto-Guzzi Convert from the 70s. Pretty rare though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Unless you absolutely must have Harley looks, there are plenty of Honda / Yam / Suzuki maxi-scooters with full-size motorbike power, relaxed ergos and auto trans. For effort-free riding they're hard to beat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dsparil posted:

Let's start at the beginning. Do you want an automatic bike because you don't know how/don't want to shift a bike, or are you physically unable to shift a bike?

The right answer to your question depends on that info.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not a cruiser, but doesn't the Arpilia Mana 850 have an auto trans?

Only certain years of the FJR have a semi, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dsparil posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask that question before. Mind if I ask why an auto is desired? Is it because of a disability or something?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pope Mobile posted:

Only certain years of the FJR have a semi, too.
Also IIRC the FJR "auto" is actually just an electronic shift-assist which doesn't automatically choose gears for you. Anyone used one? Confirm/deny this?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Also IIRC the FJR "auto" is actually just an electronic shift-assist which doesn't automatically choose gears for you. Anyone used one? Confirm/deny this?

Confirm. A friend of mine had a 2001 1300AE. I was too bored to investigate exactly how it worked, but it was electrical actuated. No clutch operation, just click.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That has to be quite simple to make. A solenoid that cuts ignition or injection and a stepper motor that rotates the shift shaft. Maybe even an rpm sensor so you can dial in your shift points and just hold the upshift button down and the throttle pinned while the bike accelerates. I wonder how the guy with the dragster Vincent built his shift system (he could tell us, but he'd have to etc).

Just outside my building is a tunnel leading to the highway out of the city. In the evenings when the bikers are riding home from a day of hanging out and posing, they accelerate just here. Bikes with quick shift are something else. Screaming revs into the tunnel and BOOM! backfiring inside it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm looking for a second front brake rotor for my SM wheel set. I've been checking ebay regularly as that's where I snagged a rear rotor for $23 in good shape with no warping. I haven't found one yet but I ran across this while playing with Google.

http://www.roguemotorsportz.com/i29078/EBC_Standard_Brake_Rotor_Front.aspx?sc=Google&ad=Products

It's an EBC rotor, is there any reason it wouldn't work or I shouldn't buy it? It's a good bit cheaper than any others I've found, but I ride fairly hard and working brakes are a top priority for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm looking for a second front brake rotor for my SM wheel set. I've been checking ebay regularly as that's where I snagged a rear rotor for $23 in good shape with no warping. I haven't found one yet but I ran across this while playing with Google.

http://www.roguemotorsportz.com/i29078/EBC_Standard_Brake_Rotor_Front.aspx?sc=Google&ad=Products

It's an EBC rotor, is there any reason it wouldn't work or I shouldn't buy it? It's a good bit cheaper than any others I've found, but I ride fairly hard and working brakes are a top priority for me.

Do you have an SM model or a coverted S model? Inverted forks or no? That'd work fine if you have the inverted forks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Safety Dance posted:

Try picking up something like this: http://throttlerocker.com/ a.k.a http://www.crampbuster.com/

My right hand used to cramp up something fierce because I had to maintain pressure on the throttle. This lets me relax my grip when it gets uncomfortable. It's much better.

These are crap - buy a proper throttle lock like a vistacruise. They don't actually lock the throttle - just make it sticky enough that you can take your hand off. 1000% better than throttlerockers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

These are crap - buy a proper throttle lock like a vistacruise. They don't actually lock the throttle - just make it sticky enough that you can take your hand off. 1000% better than throttlerockers.

I wouldn't say they're crap -- I love mine. I'll look into this vistacruise thing though. I might convert.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Do you have an SM model or a coverted S model? Inverted forks or no? That'd work fine if you have the inverted forks.

I have a stock SM with the inverted forks. I bought a set of wheels off a 2000 E model and swapped my stock rotors/sprocket over to those, but I've been working on getting the parts to make my SM wheels swappable without changing any rotors/sprockets over.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I have a stock SM with the inverted forks. I bought a set of wheels off a 2000 E model and swapped my stock rotors/sprocket over to those, but I've been working on getting the parts to make my SM wheels swappable without changing any rotors/sprockets over.

Yeah that should work fine then.

Dsparil
Feb 18, 2012

Gun Addict

slidebite posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask that question before. Mind if I ask why an auto is desired? Is it because of a disability or something?

Just to make things simpler. I have confidence in being able to shift gears just fine but if the bike stalls out because of improper shifting at 50mph then that isn't a good thing. I'm just kind of thinking to make things simpler. I want to be able to get on the bike to enjoy the ride not to spend the majority of my time worrying about keep my gears up. I ask about decent systems, because while making my riding more fun an unreliable system would definitely make things more complicated. As for the Harley, because it's an American name that I enjoy. I've been on the back of plenty of fatboys and feel they're the perfect bike.

ETA: nevermind, I think I'll stick with manual. Just did some research and I'm not fond of the idea of adding a couple of hundred more lbs to a bike. Nevermind. forget I asked LOL

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I thought everyone recruited for the DN-01 focus groups was...disappeared. Do you remember anything?

Edit: Did your programming just kick back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Dsparil posted:

Just to make things simpler. I have confidence in being able to shift gears just fine but if the bike stalls out because of improper shifting at 50mph then that isn't a good thing. I'm just kind of thinking to make things simpler. I want to be able to get on the bike to enjoy the ride not to spend the majority of my time worrying about keep my gears up. I ask about decent systems, because while making my riding more fun an unreliable system would definitely make things more complicated. As for the Harley, because it's an American name that I enjoy. I've been on the back of plenty of fatboys and feel they're the perfect bike.

If you don't have a disability you really don't need an automatic. Go take an MSF course and come back to us. Shifting gears is half the fun of riding a motorcycle in my opinion and it's something you should be comfortable with. You're not going to stall a bike at 50mph, the engine inertia won't really allow it. It sounds like you don't have much experience with it and it kind of frightens you, and that's OK. Go take a 2 day MSF course and you will see how easy it is. I'm pretty sure you won't be looking for an automatic afterwards.