Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

As Nero Danced posted:

I've been expecting something like this since the evos concept first came out. If anything I was surprised they used that concept's design cues for the fusion/mondeo. A more coupe-like profile might make it more appropriate looking, the concept had a weird four-door gullwing thing going on that made it look more like a hatchback (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Another shot of the concept that shows what I mean.

Modeler was on drugs, there.

Does the windshield fold in half so the doors can open as gull wings or something?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hypnolobster posted:

Modeler was on drugs, there.

Does the windshield fold in half so the doors can open as gull wings or something?

:psyduck:

I wish. The rear quarter panels are nuts, though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
What's killing me is the "fastback" look. It looks more like the rear end-end of a Prius.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

After installing my new rims, I'm getting some squeaking from the front passenger tire under mild/moderate braking only. Any thoughts what it could be?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'll still probably buy the new Mustang when it comes out. Give that Evos concept some bigger, Mustang-y headlights and I'll take one in that same red.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Devyl posted:

What's killing me is the "fastback" look. It looks more like the rear end-end of a Prius.
This is my gripe with it, too. Increase the angle of that back windshield by a whole bunch, or extend it out further or I don't know where I was going with this, and we'll talk.

Personally, I think the car as a whole looks too much like an XK.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

After installing my new rims, I'm getting some squeaking from the front passenger tire under mild/moderate braking only. Any thoughts what it could be?

I know you posted your wheel sizes but I can't seem to find it. I think I remember you throwing on 18's so I'm guessing something wrong with the offset.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

oRenj9 posted:

You think we will get the next Mustang on a FWD sedan/minivan platform? I was under the impression that the Mustang is getting a brand new platform, it just will not be unique to the Mustang any longer.

I think world car is code for two door mkz/fusion with turbos available.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

So are there any rear wheel drive platforms that Lincoln is using? I bet we will get a EUCD platform mustang. RIP 650 hp mustang, you will be missed. Buy them up while you can.

49th anniversary Shelby, the last of the V8 intercepters.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Fifty Three posted:

Personally, I think the car as a whole looks too much like an XK.

The lines remind me of an XK, the proportions make me think of a TT. I'm ok with both of those. My gripe is the back looks like a Civic hatchback.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Elephanthead posted:

I think world car is code for two door mkz/fusion with turbos available.

You seriously think Ford is going to gently caress up one of their two biggest cash cows? Yeah, ok...

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
They're not going to do away with the Coyote. It's still a new engine and still has yet to have DI implemented (it was engineered with that in mind, if I remember correctly.) Granted, they may offer Mustang variants with turbos, etc., but I would be shocked if Ford did away with the V8.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Latest GT500 header update:

I was able to quiet the car down ALOT without spending any money. I had the car on the lift and noticed that the rear exhaust pipes weren't properly aligned. Upon further investigation, the driver side pipe was just barely touching the body right where it crosses over the rear axle. I loosed the clamps, hung on the pipe to roll it over and tightened the clamp again. It eliminated a lot of the drone and resonance. It seemed that the exhaust pipe resonating against the body was causing the trunk to act like an amplifier. Now I can easily use the Sync speakerphone while driving around.

I'm impressed how quiet this car is in the interior with the headers. My previous car was a 2003 Z06 that I road raced and it had Dynatech long tube's, a catted xpipe and GHL bullet mufflers and you couldn't even use your phone while driving. And from the exterior, the Mustang is SIGNIFICANTLY louder.

I haven't had a chance to make any real exhaust videos with the Mustang, but I do have some videos of the Vette from drivebys on the main straight at the track that I'll dig up for comparison.

Some shots of the ol' beast in the pits.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/7089524863_dd206eb268_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/6943455066_4c2a404f13_z.jpg

Edit: While digging through my albums, I found pictures of the 2011 5.0L that really helped me decide that I wanted to get a Mustang. This was back in October 2010, in the middle of goddam nowhere Grande Prairie, Alberta. I was up there for a business trip, had time to kill and the local Ford dealer made the mistake of throwing me the keys to take this car for a test drive.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/6943501970_71579eb2ba_z.jpg

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 18, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Any of you guys own or have driven the GT/CS? I had always heard about them, I saw my first one in person last night.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

Their inspiration is far more obvious

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hadn't seen that comparison. Now that I have, I think sectioning the taillights into thirds like the current body style would look awesome.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

You seriously think Ford is going to gently caress up one of their two biggest cash cows? Yeah, ok...

What makes you think the mustang makes them any money? The unit volume does not support this at all. F150 drives profits, then the Escape, and then the Fusion. You are arguing with your heart not your head. What percentage of mustangs are even sold as GTs anyway? 1/3?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Fifty Three posted:

Hadn't seen that comparison. Now that I have, I think sectioning the taillights into thirds like the current body style would look awesome.

Considering that the Evos was a concept for a 2 door sedanish coupe (So it's obviously not carrying the proper coupe/fastback proportions), I'd imagine they'd do a pretty wicked job applying the design language to the Mustang. I'm excited to see what they come up with and I was already liking the Evos/Fusion styling.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

What makes you think the mustang makes them any money? The unit volume does not support this at all. F150 drives profits, then the Escape, and then the Fusion. You are arguing with your heart not your head. What percentage of mustangs are even sold as GTs anyway? 1/3?

It doesn't matter, the Mustang is currently the aspirational car in the Ford lineup. Ford makes lots of cars that are profitable and sports cars are almost always there to improve the brand and get people into dealerships to sell other models. I'm also relatively sure the the V6 makes Ford a good deal of money while the V8 is there to keep up the impression that the Mustang is a real deal sports car. Without the Mustang what does Ford have to make people excited and get them into the showroom? Even Toyota has their FT-86 now.

Car companies need sporty/sexy/fun cars for young people and the young at heart to drive otherwise it makes the brand look boring and utilitarian. You sell the sexy car, flow down some technology and styling cues to the more mainstream sedans ala Nissan and the 370z and the Altima/Maxima. Chevy looks like it's taking the same route with the new Impala drawing from some of the design cues of the Camaro.

Ford however is particularly bad at using the Mustang to drive design language and in this case they have it backwards, when I see the front of the new Mustang (or what we think it is) all I see is the new 2013 Fusion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kronix posted:

It doesn't matter, the Mustang is currently the aspirational car in the Ford lineup. Ford makes lots of cars that are profitable and sports cars are almost always there to improve the brand and get people into dealerships to sell other models. I'm also relatively sure the the V6 makes Ford a good deal of money while the V8 is there to keep up the impression that the Mustang is a real deal sports car. Without the Mustang what does Ford have to make people excited and get them into the showroom? Even Toyota has their FT-86 now.

Car companies need sporty/sexy/fun cars for young people and the young at heart to drive otherwise it makes the brand look boring and utilitarian. You sell the sexy car, flow down some technology and styling cues to the more mainstream sedans ala Nissan and the 370z and the Altima/Maxima. Chevy looks like it's taking the same route with the new Impala drawing from some of the design cues of the Camaro.

Ford however is particularly bad at using the Mustang to drive design language and in this case they have it backwards, when I see the front of the new Mustang (or what we think it is) all I see is the new 2013 Fusion.

But the new Fusion looks stunning, and when both it and the Mustang are redesigned, it won't matter which came out first.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking of possibly picking up a mustang in few months.

Is there any detriment to picking up a 2012 instead of a 2013? I can use the X-Plan and it looks like the starting price of 2012 GT Premiums are around 29-30k with current incentives.

e: Other option would be an older GT500.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

Is there any detriment to picking up a 2012 instead of a 2013? I can use the X-Plan and it looks like the starting price of 2012 GT Premiums are around 29-30k with current incentives.

As far as the V6es I was looking at went: HIDs, pony projectors, color screens (as opposed to monochrome VFDs), and undoubtedly something else I've forgotten. I went with the 2012.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

b0nes posted:

Any of you guys own or have driven the GT/CS? I had always heard about them, I saw my first one in person last night.

Is there anything functionally different about them? I thought it was entirely visual.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
the cs's have a nicer bumper. and a sticker on the middle of the side on the car ( which looks awful)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Is there anything functionally different about them? I thought it was entirely visual.

You can use the fog light holes to run brake cooling ducts...

It's just an appearance package

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

You are arguing with your heart not your head.

:jerkbag: The Mustang is highly profitable on a per-unit basis, and by Fords own admission, it and the F-150 are the crown jewels of the lineup. Not to mention, Ford already considered the FWD Mustang concept, remember the first gen Probe? The only reason it wasn't badged as a Mustang was because people threw an unholy shitfit about it. I find it hard to believe Ford would make the same mistake twice. I'm not arguing with my heart, I'm just trying to figure out why you're pulling this FWD Mustang nonsense out of your rear end. It's not going to happen.

kronix posted:

Yeah they've been pretty awful at this in the past. But I think the similarity of the new grilles to Astons has blinded people to the fact they're putting big, mouthy grilles that are almost Mustang style (remember when Astons were called "Beverly Hills Mustangs"?) on the rest of their cars.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Plinkey posted:

What are the current incentives?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Q_res posted:

Yeah they've been pretty awful at this in the past. But I think the similarity of the new grilles to Astons has blinded people to the fact they're putting big, mouthy grilles that are almost Mustang style (remember when Astons were called "Beverly Hills Mustangs"?) on the rest of their cars.

People tend to forget, for whatever reason, that Ford usually has a corporate design theme. Just a few years ago it was really thick grill slats.
At any rate, griping over a mouthy grill on a Mustang is rather strange when that was always a feature of the Mustang until the Fox.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coolskillrex remix posted:

What are the current incentives?

pre:
  Model              MSRP        XPlan        Incentives  Net Price
  V6	             $22,310	 $21,990	 $1,000	   $20,990
  V6 Premium	     $26,310	 $25,132	 $1,000	   $24,132
  GT	             $29,710	 $28,180	 $2,500	   $25,680
  GT Premium	     $33,710	 $31,765	 $2,500	   $29,265

These are the 2012s. No xplan prices for 2013 yet.

E: Or do you mean what kind of incentives? I think it's just 2500 'cash back' basically.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 19, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
2012 GT premium under $30k seems like a good deal to me

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I got my 2012 GT premium for $27,500; couldn't pass that up.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Q_res posted:

:jerkbag: The Mustang is highly profitable on a per-unit basis, and by Fords own admission, it and the F-150 are the crown jewels of the lineup. Not to mention, Ford already considered the FWD Mustang concept, remember the first gen Probe? The only reason it wasn't badged as a Mustang was because people threw an unholy shitfit about it. I find it hard to believe Ford would make the same mistake twice. I'm not arguing with my heart, I'm just trying to figure out why you're pulling this FWD Mustang nonsense out of your rear end. It's not going to happen.

I'm too young to remember the Ford Probe poo poo fit. Ford probably dodged a bullet because everyone I knew who owned a probe considered it a giant piece of poo poo from the day it rolled out of the showroom.

That said, I often wonder how profitable the V8 Mustangs are aside from the GT500. The power train itself must amount to nearly half the price of the car on the base GT. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford doesn't make a whole lot of money on the GT and makes up for it with fat profit margins on the V6.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kronix posted:

I'm too young to remember the Ford Probe poo poo fit. Ford probably dodged a bullet because everyone I knew who owned a probe considered it a giant piece of poo poo from the day it rolled out of the showroom.

That said, I often wonder how profitable the V8 Mustangs are aside from the GT500. The power train itself must amount to nearly half the price of the car on the base GT. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford doesn't make a whole lot of money on the GT and makes up for it with fat profit margins on the V6.

Really, I would think the opposite because they make hundreds of thousands of those V8s for the F-series compared with maybe half as many V6s. I'd think the costs to produce either would be pretty drat close, especially considering how close the V6 premium and base GT are after incentives.

Interesting about the Probe though, I've only known two people that owned them, but one was a die-hard enthusiast and owned several of them. The v6 GT had decent power from such a small engine and handled really well, I'm not sure about the four cylinder model though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

kronix posted:

The power train itself must amount to nearly half the price of the car on the base GT. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford doesn't make a whole lot of money on the GT and makes up for it with fat profit margins on the V6.

I seriously doubt the cost of the 3.7 is that much less than the Coyote. But, I'd really have to see some hard numbers before I believed the powertrain in the GT was anywhere near $14000, which is nearly half the X Plan price of a base GT, all by itself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Really, I would think the opposite because they make hundreds of thousands of those V8s for the F-series compared with maybe half as many V6s.

Ford is actually selling slightly more V6 F150s than V8s, when you add both the base V6 and the Ecoboost up against the 5.0 and 6.2.

And yeah, I really doubt Ford's incremental cost to build the GT's powertrain is one cent more than the cost difference between the V6 and the GT - and it's probably considerably less.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a 5.0 crate is only 6 grand through summit, a tremec t-56 is 2900.

This is aftermarket with both ford and summit making a profit. Even if that's what ford pays, i doubt the rest of the driveline parts are worth $5,100

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The T-56 is old tech. It's definitely not the transmission used in the new Mustang.

Fake edit: from Wikipedia:

quote:

All the Mustang's engines were revised for 2011, and transmission options included the Getrag-Ford MT82 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Powershift posted:

a 5.0 crate is only 6 grand through summit, a tremec t-56 is 2900.

This is aftermarket with both ford and summit making a profit. Even if that's what ford pays, i doubt the rest of the driveline parts are worth $5,100

You forgot you need another couple of grand for the ECU and harness
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12284

Also you'll probably want to include in your driveline a flywheel, a clutch, a driveshaft a differential and a little more money for not a T-56 and you're probably not terribly far from that $5,100

All in all I figured the whole drive train is probably around 13k and the invoice(which the dealerships generally pay much less than) is around 27.5k on the base GT. It might be a little bit of a stretch to say half the value of the car, but I wouldn't say it's completely unreasonable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The ECU and harness aren't going to be appreciably different (from a cost perspective) between the V6 and V8, though. Similar sensor counts, plus two more injectors and two more coils. Hell, GM uses the same ECU across all sorts of applications, I'd be surprised if Ford didn't.

Besides, remember that your average car, if parted out at retail, is worth quite a bit more as parts than as a car, no matter who makes it or what car it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The ECU and harness aren't going to be appreciably different (from a cost perspective) between the V6 and V8, though. Similar sensor counts, plus two more injectors and two more coils. Hell, GM uses the same ECU across all sorts of applications, I'd be surprised if Ford didn't.

Besides, remember that your average car, if parted out at retail, is worth quite a bit more as parts than as a car, no matter who makes it or what car it is.

Yeah I was just trying to paint a picture of the overall cost of the power train vs the total cost of a base GT to the guy above who was simply saying Coyote + t-56 = 9k which means I'm an idiot for saying it's close to half the price of the car.