Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Bixington posted:

I've been looking around at smaller bikes (between 50 and 250cc) and I'm wondering if any have made it over to the states in enough numbers to get one at a reasonable price.

Aprilia RS50's and possibly RS125's made it over didn't they? The full power RS125 is awesome fun, definitely go ride one if you get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bixington posted:

I've been looking around at smaller bikes (between 50 and 250cc) and I'm wondering if any have made it over to the states in enough numbers to get one at a reasonable price.

Look at this (expensive) Derbi GPR50:

:swoon: Why get a scooter for a small engine when I could have something like that?

I've seen a couple of the smaller (125CC) Hyosungs at the local bike shop. Almost picked one up as my first bike, actually.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 28, 2019

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It'll be fine. Just make sure you go sit on one before buying to make sure you're not (totally) uncomfortable on it. Really it and had the Ninja250 are much-of-a-muchness when comparing the two, can't go wrong with either as a first bike. Although the Honda is available with ABS which is a bonus for a newbie ride. Just don't waste your money buying a brand new one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I haven't ridden one, but I have sat on one, and as a tall dude you'll like the CBR much more. I don't fit right on the Ninja. Besides it being small, the angle of the tank doesn't work with my long legs. The CBR was much more comfortable and my legs fit in the sides of the tank well. You'll be buying pretty new but aside from that it should be great. I'd think the torqueier single would be better for street riding too, but as I said I've only ridden a Ninja. A guy down the street has one of the CBR250s but I haven't caught him outside and been able to say hi yet.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Atleast in my area, the CBR250s are ridiculously hard to find, especially used. We found 2 at a dealership and they weren't even put together. Plus the guy trying to sell them admitted to never even ridden a bike before :wtc:. I really didn't want to spend 5000bux either.

They seem like a better package, but it'll be hard to find one for what you can get a newish ninja250 for. If you are in the states I think the CBR250 has only been around since 2011(?).

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 28, 2019

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm 6'4'' and when I owned Ninja 250's, I weighted 210 lbs, and they were comfy like a sofa. They got me quick up to 70 too. I sat on a CBR250R this recent weekend and its body curves definitely accommodate my body more. This MIGHT give more of a "stable" feeling at highway speeds. If you want to save money and plan on upgrading soon, go for the Ninja.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Although the Honda is available with ABS which is a bonus for a newbie ride.

Do you guys think ABS on a first bike is a good idea? Might build some bad habits... not that I think locking the front wheel and going down is a great way to get an education in braking, mind you.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do you guys think ABS on a first bike is a good idea? Might build some bad habits... not that I think locking the front wheel and going down is a great way to get an education in braking, mind you.

Yes definitely. Anyone who is just going to go "It's ok, I've got ABS!" *jams on front brake* wasn't going to practice stopping anyway, and it won't stop anyone who wants to practice from doing so. Hell, if you can tell when the ABS kicks in it might help as you'll know when you've locked up without actually doing it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Jose Pointero posted:

Yeah I definitely need to go sit on both of them to see how they feel. One "problem" I've found so far on the CBR250 is simply trying to find one. There apparently aren't any used ones here at all, and I'm not sure if any dealers in Austin even has a new one in stock since their websites just say "request a quote".

I think Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown still has a 2011 CB250, but it's been a while since I was up there last. Call them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My local place has two brand-new orange and white CBR250s on the floor, assembled, and the last time I was there poking around at one of them the sales guy came up and said "oh, you don't want THAT thing." This dumb city is about 85% bagger cruisers, 10% liter bikes and 5% anything cool and different.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Jose Pointero posted:

Hey speaking of beginner bikes, what is the consensus on the Honda CBR250R? I know the Ninja 250 has been the default bike for newbies for quite a while now; but as a Honda fanboy I'm finding myself drawn to the CBR250.

I've read that it has slightly less HP yet slightly more torque than the Ninja, but how will that translate into real-world riding for me? I'm 6'4" and about 230lbs, and I'm planning on (eventually) riding to/from work which involves about 15 minutes of highway riding. I really need this thing to get me up to at least 70. I'm also wondering about the suspension, a few reviews I've read said the CBR250 is more sporty where the Ninja is a bit relaxed and more general-purposed.

If anyone has ridden the Honda (or both of them) I'm eager to hear what you think.

One other positive side of the cbr250 is that it is fuel injected.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Why would a salesman working off commission sell you a 250 for 4 thousand when he could sell you at least a 600 for 10k++?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 28, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JP Money posted:

Why would a salesman working off commission sell you a 250 for 4 thousand when he could sell you at least a 600 for 10k++?

Well, had I been interested in buying the CBR250, he would have sold me neither because I would have driven 2 hours to a dealership that doesn't act like they know better what the customer wants.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jose Pointero posted:

As far as the ABS, I'll pass on that. I'd much rather learn to modulate the brakes properly. I think I've already got some bad braking habits from riding in the dirt and mud all these years.

How does ABS stop you learning to brake properly?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 28, 2019

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jose Pointero posted:

Seems like it might be too forgiving, like you wouldn't worry about grabbing a bit too much brake because it wouldn't lock right away. But since I've never rode an ABS equipped bike I'm just making assumptions.

It's still gonna lock, it'll just automatically unlock for you. And it doesn't feel good to trigger ABS, generally. Most of the time the bike suspension rebounds a bit when it cycles and feels unsettled and it's just sort of crappy. But it's much better than crashing.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 28, 2019

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Jose Pointero posted:

a
Ah, I see. Do all ABS bikes work like the CBR250? A review I read said that the front and rear are kinda "linked" by the system and felt strange.

Linked brakes seems to be mostly a Honda thing, in that when you apply the front brake, the rear brake is activated also. It's not applied as hard as what you are applying to the front of course, but it's there, and you can tell. I *personally* don't mind it, but some people really don't like it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do they still do that stupid thing and apply the front brakes if you use the rear on it's own? Because people hated combined brakes for that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do they still do that stupid thing and apply the front brakes if you use the rear on it's own? Because people hated combined brakes for that.

I think this is how it works. Front brake you can apply on its own, but if you apply the rear it applies a bit of front, too. Which would annoy the poo poo out of me.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think this is how it works. Front brake you can apply on its own, but if you apply the rear it applies a bit of front, too. Which would annoy the poo poo out of me.

Depends on the bike. Here's how the ST1300 works - http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/LinkedBrakingSystem

Not all Honda linked systems are like this though.

It's never been a problem for me or countless other riders, but as always, to each their own :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Must make slow speed manuevering fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

My local place has two brand-new orange and white CBR250s on the floor, assembled, and the last time I was there poking around at one of them the sales guy came up and said "oh, you don't want THAT thing." This dumb city is about 85% bagger cruisers, 10% liter bikes and 5% anything cool and different.

Baggers and liter bikes are not cool.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I disagree. After having ridden a CBR1000RR lately and coming from the drz where I am full throttle at literally zero consequence to having the front of the bike lift in 1st and 2nd with minimal throttle roll-on tells me all I need to know about why people own them. It's been a while since I was on a supersport and I totally forgot how mind boggling the acceleration is on a big bike.

I don't condone anyone new owning one but after having ridden it I can see how people get addicted to that kind of power.

Baggers are still lame though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
None of them are lame, all bikes are cool. If you're going to consider Sagebrush's opinion on motorcycles remember that his perspective is from never riding them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Raven457 posted:

Depends on the bike. Here's how the ST1300 works - http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/LinkedBrakingSystem

Not all Honda linked systems are like this though.

It's never been a problem for me or countless other riders, but as always, to each their own :)

The Connie is similar although it has some adjustment. A lot of guys don't like it, but I kind of like it.

Coming from a bikes with zero assists to one with ABS, Traction control and linked brakes, it's actually pretty impressive.

While I could live without linked brakes, I can understand the big deal with ABS and don't think I'd ever buy another bike without it again.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

The Connie is similar although it has some adjustment. A lot of guys don't like it, but I kind of like it.

Coming from a bikes with zero assists to one with ABS, Traction control and linked brakes, it's actually pretty impressive.

While I could live without linked brakes, I can understand the big deal with ABS and don't think I'd ever buy another bike without it again.

Agreed. I could live without the linked setup, mostly because it makes bleeding a pain in the rear end, but it's never caused me any trouble, even in slow speed maneuvering.

ABS is the one thing I sort of wish I had. Buuuuut, I got handed a very sweet deal on my non-ABS 06 (very good price, knew the owner, knew the maintenance history), so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm curious, why did bike ABS take so long to hit mainstream? It sounds like a good thing but it seems pretty new, so out of my reach (mostly looking at used bikes from the 80s and 90s, when ABS started being big on cars). Seems odd that it took so long because it should theoretically be a simpler system on a bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cars also got fuel injection in the 80's and bikes didnt get them till around the 2000's, some still dont have it.

Bikes rarely pick up new tech quickly. We are just now getting traction control as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BMW were early with ABS, they had it on their bikes in the late 80s. But I suppose the bike market is mostly screaming for style and power where car buyers want comfort and safety, the cost of the additional tech didn't help sell more bikes. Or so they thought at least. It's weird how bikes still come without ABS and with single valve, unadjustable suspension which is basically the same as 30 years ago.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I'm curious, why did bike ABS take so long to hit mainstream? It sounds like a good thing but it seems pretty new, so out of my reach (mostly looking at used bikes from the 80s and 90s, when ABS started being big on cars). Seems odd that it took so long because it should theoretically be a simpler system on a bike.

Bikes are already pretty simple honestly. Look how long even FI took to adapt onto bikes. It's probably just a resistance from manufacturers to spend a poo poo ton of money on R&D when they have already working models that they can tweak and still sell for more cash. I think ABS coming now was just where manufacturers had to go to stay competitive since the engines on current gen sportbikes are very good and no longer a competitive angle across the board. The S1000 started off the whole "nuh uh, WE have 200whp!!" debate that kawasaki has answered but it also brought along ABS options and traction control that seems to be forcing yamaha, honda and suzuki to think about new revisions.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Are there ABS retrofit kits?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^^^ Nope.

Also no one buys ABS bikes in the US because a magazine article once showed that ABS is .3 seconds slower a lap around the track because it's just so intrusive. There is a lot of anti ABS sentiment out there but modern ABS is drat good and should be available on more bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I really wish there were ABS retrofit kits. If I had more electromechanical knowhow and tools, I'd like to make my own. I've been trying to figure out how to retrofit an ABS system from a later similar model Ducati onto mine. It doesn't look good, cost wise. I think ABS must be one of the greatest single life-saving devices available on bikes.

edit: Also, as of 2012 all BMW bikes come standard with ABS. This should have been done years ago, and every manufacturer should do it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 18, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's the thing, it seems so drat simple that I really wish I had some fabrication skill.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Must make slow speed manuevering fun.

I don't know if it's speed sensitive or not, but I don't find it obtrusive at all, even at the most aggressive setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Does ABS=no stoppies?