Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

olaf2022 posted:

I had two OCZ SSD's suddenly fail, unable to be recognized in BIOS, while the little LED's were still green. It's most likely dead.

Thanks for the info. I guess I wanted to be sure that I wasn't doing anything stupid because I had literally *just* taken it out of the package OCZ sent it to me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

ryde posted:

Thanks for the info. I guess I wanted to be sure that I wasn't doing anything stupid because I had literally *just* taken it out of the package OCZ sent it to me in.

Just out of curiosity, what brand/model power supply are you using? I've managed to be lucky with the OCZ drives I've bought, but maybe there's a correlation with good power supplies and bad power supplies.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

olaf2022 posted:

I had two OCZ SSD's suddenly fail, unable to be recognized in BIOS, while the little LED's were still green. It's most likely dead.
A'yup. I had an Agility 2 fail on me the same way. The little green LED just shows that it's getting power, I think. It certainly doesn't seem to indicate that it's functioning properly, at any rate.

Personally, I'd RMA it, and when they send you the replacement, drop it on eBay: they still sell pretty close to retail on there. Take the money from that and use it to pay for a drive from a better lineup. I went Agility 2 -> Corsair Force 3 -> Samsung 830 because gently caress SandForce's chips at this point.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I'm considering preemptively replacing my 120GB Vertex 2. Got it (barely) used for a massive discount and it's been fine for the past ~6+ months, but it feels alot like sitting on a ticking time-bomb. Considering replacing it with a larger drive, but even another (reliable) model of the same size seems like a good plan. The best I can do at the moment though is just keep regular backup clones.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

bjobjoli posted:

Just out of curiosity, what brand/model power supply are you using? I've managed to be lucky with the OCZ drives I've bought, but maybe there's a correlation with good power supplies and bad power supplies.

Antec TruePower Trio 550 Watt and Antec TruePower 2 430 Watt

Incidentally, the OCZ I have in my laptop has been working just fine. Of course, since its a Mac with Snow Leopard, I *think* that trim support is off, so maybe that's why?

DrDork posted:

A'yup. I had an Agility 2 fail on me the same way. The little green LED just shows that it's getting power, I think. It certainly doesn't seem to indicate that it's functioning properly, at any rate.

Good to have more data points. All of my Vertex 2 drives had an orange LED when they failed. I tried completely power cycling the Agility 3 (disconnect for 1 hour, reconnect), and I got the orange LED. So, whelp. The irritating thing is that this was fresh out of the package, directly from OCZ, to replace a failed Vertex 2.

Time to buy an Intel or Crucial drive, I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you plan on formatting an SSD with FAT32, be warned that it's going to be really slow.

But the only reason I can see to do that would be a portable drive you're trying to share between a between a Windows and Mac (or whatever) system, so it'll be USB-slow anyway.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-file-system-ntfs,3166.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

evil_bunnY posted:

It's very hard for companies with bad DNA to acquire R&D outfits and not immediately start hemorrhaging talent. See Sun/Oracle.

To be fair, most of the talent from Sun had jumped ship long before Oracle picked them up.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bob Morales posted:

But the only reason I can see to do that would be a portable drive you're trying to share between a between a Windows and Mac (or whatever) system, so it'll be USB-slow anyway.
If you're only sharing a device between MacOS and Winows machines, why wouldn't you be using exFAT already?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr Chips posted:

If you're only sharing a device between MacOS and Winows machines, why wouldn't you be using exFAT already?

Well what about a Tivo or something what filesystems can they read?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bob Morales posted:

Well what about a Tivo or something what filesystems can they read?

Proprietary file system on TiVo, MFS

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Intel's 330 SSD is released. It's a SandForce drive less expensive than than SSD 520 and pretty darn competitive with non-Intel SSDs in terms of price.

Neat!

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Intel's 330 SSD is released. It's a SandForce drive less expensive than than SSD 520 and pretty darn competitive with non-Intel SSDs in terms of price.

Neat!
One thing I'm decently excited about is that it seems like Intel's pretty good at managing to get the stores to sell pretty close to their suggested prices, even in this, the land of 'we ship it over the ocean and drat well know you can't do the same so we charge what we like'. Locally speaking, if they manage to get their suggested pricing the 60gb will be competing with the OCZ Petrol unless you want to pay a premium for Corsair or Patriot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I thought intel was dropping out of the consumer market a while back, or was that just that they were not going to be focused on doing so much of the controller work anymore?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It was stated that they're not in it for the long-term. Some people interpreted that as dropping out then and there, but I think there are still at least a couple years left before the market reaches the maturity that Intel was referring to.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I don't see any reason the 330 couldn't be a consumer drive the way a ThinkPad is a consumer laptop. Hell, Intel SSDs are a specific option on ThinkPads.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

I don't see any reason the 330 couldn't be a consumer drive the way a ThinkPad is a consumer laptop. Hell, Intel SSDs are a specific option on ThinkPads.
Sure, but I think Intel's outlook is that SSD's will quickly become a commodity product like HDDs, where the margins are razor thin and everyone is slitting each other's throats: not really a market that Intel feels like investing too heavily in, or staying in too long. Hence the exit from the controller game, and the eventual exit from the market entirely.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Definitely picking up a 180GB Intel 330 when they're in stock for my new Ivy Bridge build. Pricing is very good for Oz, ~$250 for the 180GB. That includes our 10% GST, so we're not getting hit at all with the usual Oz markup.

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
I'm upgrading from an Intel G2 80GB to something with a bit more space and I've narrowed it down to 3 drives.

Either the 180GB Corsair Force 3 for £165, 240GB Mushkin Chronos for £170 or 256GB Samsung 830 for £205.

I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung due to size/reliabilty. Any thoughts?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe wait and see how the Intel 330 is and how much it'll go for there, only up to 180GB but the announced prices for the US look really good.

Fake edit: £170 from Amazon unless the price changes:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007P3RML0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

DrDork posted:

Sure, but I think Intel's outlook is that SSD's will quickly become a commodity product like HDDs, where the margins are razor thin and everyone is slitting each other's throats: not really a market that Intel feels like investing too heavily in, or staying in too long. Hence the exit from the controller game, and the eventual exit from the market entirely.

This makes perfect sense with what segments Intel has historically remained in to sell consumer-level products: motherboards and network cards, primarily. For either of the aforementioned products, Intel produces them, I think in part, to set a standard or benchmark for the given product bearing those chips. i.e.: you want a standard experience for a Sandy Bridge CPU on a Z68 chipset: buy the Intel board. The other reason, as you mentioned, is that they can be price competitive in those segments.

So yeah, I could see them bailing out of the market in a year or two. Mayhaps, they stay in the enterprise PCIe SSD market.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kween posted:

I'm upgrading from an Intel G2 80GB to something with a bit more space and I've narrowed it down to 3 drives.

Either the 180GB Corsair Force 3 for £165, 240GB Mushkin Chronos for £170 or 256GB Samsung 830 for £205.

I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung due to size/reliabilty. Any thoughts?

Samsung 830 all the way. Not only is it the largest of your options, but none of the others (including the new Vertex 4 and Intel 330) are all that much faster in normal workloads. Samnsung's reliability has also been top-notch since day 1. There's really no downsides to it, other than being a little more than your other options.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171546
What do you guys think about this 240gb Sandisk Ultra for $210? It'll be my first SSD and I'm just looking for general usage, probably nothing more than Win7 plus whatever games I'm playing most frequently. I was originally planning on the Crucial M4 128, but nearly doubling the capacity for a ~25% price increase seems like a good trade-off for slower read speeds. But I know next to nothing about SSDs and wanted to get some extra input from people with experience.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I haven't seen that one before, but I'd be interesting in hearing what goons think as well. Is it as fast as newer SSDs? No, but my main drive is a decrepit 250gb WD drive from six (?) years ago, so even a slow SSD thrashes it. I'd like my games to be on the SSD instead of a mechanical drive as well (otherwise what's the point?), so something inexpensive in the 180gb+ range is needed.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Just remember that there are a lot of games that do not noticeably benefit from being on a SSD. The best games to put on a SSD are actually MMOs (due to their highly unpredictable loading structure), and the worst are your rail-shooter games where the game has a ton of time to load up the next batch of files because it knows exactly where you're going next. This includes pretty much every single game that's been ported from/co-developed for the XBox/PS3. Also, games like CivV, where as long as you have enough VRAM, it'll just load everything it needs on startup and never bother loading anything else for the entire game.

There are a lot of people (myself included) who opted to stay with a faster, smaller drive for Windows and common apps (and games that actually benefit from a SSD), and run a larger normal HDD for mass-storage and games that do not benefit much from better read speeds. So don't feel that you NEED to spring for a 200+GB drive in order to fit all your games on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171546
What do you guys think about this 240gb Sandisk Ultra for $210? It'll be my first SSD and I'm just looking for general usage, probably nothing more than Win7 plus whatever games I'm playing most frequently. I was originally planning on the Crucial M4 128, but nearly doubling the capacity for a ~25% price increase seems like a good trade-off for slower read speeds. But I know next to nothing about SSDs and wanted to get some extra input from people with experience.

It's a last-gen SandForce part (SF-1222)

http://www.storagereview.com/sandisk_ultra_ssd_review_240gb

It's only SATA 2.0 (like it makes a difference), I'd probably pay the extra $40 for a M4 or 830 @ $250. But I'd be all over this drive for $189-$199.

Would it be reliable?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.storagereview.com/sandisk_ultra_ssd_review_240gb

It's only SATA 2.0 (like it makes a difference), I'd probably pay the extra $40 for a M4 or 830 @ $250. But I'd be all over this drive for $189-$199.

Would it be reliable?

My brother used one that croaked about 4 months after upgrading to it. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it but obviously the laptop refused to boot and accessing the drive with another computer was intermittent and slow. He didn't keep any backups of the drive so grabbing his user files off it was like pulling teeth and took hours of baby sitting. The RMA process seemed relatively painless since I didn't hear him complain about it but it did take a month for it to come it. Fortunately, I had him keep his stock drive that has been untouched this whole time so the laptop was back up and running in no time albeit with no data since he did the upgrade. It was a big deal since it was the only computer he had while he was at med school.

The thing, though, is that I'm not sure if my brother just happened to have gotten a bad drive or if they are all or a certain percentage are like that. If you do decide to go with that drive, I'd keep your original drive or have spares on hand and do scheduled backups. My brother got lucky that the contents of the drive were at least accessible.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
SandForce chipsets are almost certainly significantly more likely to fail due to non-manufacturing issues than competing products.

As compared to hard drives, it's hard to say which is better. Probably still the SSDs, except perhaps OCZ.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My iMac just needs a kick in the balls. 3.06GHz i3, 8GB, stock 320GB platter-based drive. I'm sure a 7200RPM 1TB drive would be a big help but $200 isn't much more than $100, and I'm only using 120GB of space as it is. I had Intel drives in my MBP's and had no issues but I can't get a 240-256GB one for $200.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can get 180GB for $234 though! Well when the 330s start shipping at least.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Would it be reliable?

In the last two years, between myself and two friends, we've had 4 Vertex 3's fail, a Corsair Force 3, and an Agility 2. Not one of them lasted more than 11 months, and this was over 4 different computers, so it wasn't a single "killer PSU/mobo" or something.

You do the math.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I've seen 2 of 2 agility 2s die, which is in that same family

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So does anyone make affordable SAS SSD's? Even Intel 710's seem to be SATA only 8(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
What's the difference between the Mushkin Chronos and the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe? One of these two is going in my IB system, but I'm about to slowly gather parts, and the price on both is nice.

edit: i am a retard and can't make url tags properly.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 18, 2012

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
My gut feeling would be synchronous vs asynchronous nand.
EDIT: Wait no, the non-deluxe clearly states itself as asynchronous, crap.
EDIT:

DethMarine21 posted:

http://www.mushkingames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18391

This might shed some light on it.

Oh right, okay, I was right.

is that good fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2012

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
http://www.mushkingames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18391

This might shed some light on it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

quote:

So if you are going to do a lot of data intensive work like editing videos, MP3s, etc. or if you just want the fastest all around drive get the Deluxe
and

quote:

Would you notice a difference between the two drives in normal everyday use, probably not.

Welp. I doubt I'd notice at all, so /shrug.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

DrDork posted:

Just remember that there are a lot of games that do not noticeably benefit from being on a SSD. The best games to put on a SSD are actually MMOs (due to their highly unpredictable loading structure), and the worst are your rail-shooter games where the game has a ton of time to load up the next batch of files because it knows exactly where you're going next. This includes pretty much every single game that's been ported from/co-developed for the XBox/PS3. Also, games like CivV, where as long as you have enough VRAM, it'll just load everything it needs on startup and never bother loading anything else for the entire game.

There are a lot of people (myself included) who opted to stay with a faster, smaller drive for Windows and common apps (and games that actually benefit from a SSD), and run a larger normal HDD for mass-storage and games that do not benefit much from better read speeds. So don't feel that you NEED to spring for a 200+GB drive in order to fit all your games on it.
True, but I personally can't go back to HDD loading times. I don't even bother symlinking the Steam games I have on my HDD anymore. Any game that isn't on my 256gb Samsung 830 is a game that I'm simply not playing.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that was my thought when I originally planned on ~120gigs, mostly because of price scaling. But I think I did overestimate the space a Win7 64bit install wold need. I was assuming upwards of 60 gigs, but it looks to be more along the lines of 30? Either way I'm pretty leery of that 240gig one now that you guys have told me how many failures you experienced in that family. So I'll just go back to hunting for a reliable ~120 with a reasonable price.

edit: welp, nevermind, there was an open box 128 gig Crucial M4 at the Microcenter near me for $135 with tax, so :woop:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 18, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tedronai66 posted:

What's the difference between the Mushkin Chronos and the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe? One of these two is going in my IB system, but I'm about to slowly gather parts, and the price on both is nice.

edit: i am a retard and can't make url tags properly.

Couldn't decide between the Force 3 and Mushkin Enhanced, went with the Mushkin for $10 less. Will be putting it in my iMac once it gets here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

evil_bunnY posted:

So does anyone make affordable SAS SSD's? Even Intel 710's seem to be SATA only 8(

Do you particularly need them to be SAS for some reason? I was under the impression that a SATA drive will typically work fine attached to a SAS controller.

• Locked thread