Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

CVagts posted:

This was several years ago, but back in like 2007 or so, TNA PPVs had fallen to about 20k buys, and Bryan commented on a B&V episode that their free episode had about 10k listens. I can't even begin to conjecture how that would have grown in the five years since, but there's a starting point I guess.

I think Genesis did around 10K buys this year. I can tell you that Smart Wrestling Fan, which does pretty well but I assume is less popular than the podcasts mentioned more frequently in here, certainly beats that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

This was several years ago, but back in like 2007 or so, TNA PPVs had fallen to about 20k buys, and Bryan commented on a B&V episode that their free episode had about 10k listens. I can't even begin to conjecture how that would have grown in the five years since, but there's a starting point I guess.

I imagine it more than doubled after the merger.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

If B&V pulls even comparable numbers to Observer Radio, consider me shocked.

It's been pretty much fact for a long time that Bryan and Vinny is the most popular show on the site.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So, per AOW, now Lita lives in Nicaraugua, then?

For part of the year, anyway. It sounds like leaving the business did her a world of good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That makes me think perhaps her and Punk are not dating.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

For part of the year, anyway. It sounds like leaving the business did her a world of good.

There's no bigger business mistake than leaving the El Dandy Express.

Her career has been a downward spiral ever since.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

njsykora posted:

It's been pretty much fact for a long time that Bryan and Vinny is the most popular show on the site.

Before the merger it was my #1 show, but since then it's dropped back for me. It just feels less fun these days, maybe I'm maturing :unsmith:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That makes me think perhaps her and Punk are not dating.

They broke up a while ago.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

They broke up a while ago.
She showed up as Punk's guest to the Hall of Fame ceremony so there was recent speculation.

Today's Bryan & Vinny was a great show.
The podcasts are the silver lining to every bad TNA finish.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
So today, Dave and Bryan wondered if people today would know who Sherlock Holmes is then figure there's enough parodies on cartoons for them to recognize him, disregarding the fact the two Robert Downey Jr movies that came out recently.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I love their wrestling bubble sometimes. I kept thinking one of them would remember the movies, but nope haha.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Perigryn posted:

So today, Dave and Bryan wondered if people today would know who Sherlock Holmes is then figure there's enough parodies on cartoons for them to recognize him, disregarding the fact the two Robert Downey Jr movies that came out recently.

Also, "Sherlock" the BBC series which you all should watch anyway.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Szmitten posted:

Also, "Sherlock" the BBC series which you all should watch anyway.
Oh yeah, I heard great things about that. I just wish I had time off to catch up on all the shows I want to watch...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah just off the top of my head, there's been the 2 Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies, the 2 series' of the BBC's Sherlock which is absolutely brilliant and you should all watch it, the anime series that was pretty much a female Sherlock (yes, this happened) and the fact that the Baker Street tube station has Holmes' silhouette all over it. There's not much chance of anyone really not getting a Sherlock reference, even if they're not me and reading through all the stories right now.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Isn't Sherlock Holmes the most frequently depicted fictional character ever?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just got around to B&V from Saturday night.

"my favorite was the pony we let die in the winter"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

House was one of the most popular shows on television for almost a decade and it's based on Sherlock Holmes as well. The Wrestling Bubble, everybody.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

House was one of the most popular shows on television for almost a decade and it's based on Sherlock Holmes as well. The Wrestling Bubble, everybody.

Also, Batman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shows being based on a subject would be the kind of cultural diffusion they were speculating about. To me the funny thing is they didn't seem to make the connection between a Sherlock Holmes skit and the fact they were in England. I can guarantee you the WWE writers never thought of a British series or maybe even the movies, they just thought "Wow, we're in England. What's English? We have done the Queen, we've done tea parties... we had a guy with bad teeth... I guess that only leaves Sherlock Holmes. I think he's British."

Someone may have then stated they think he's from Belgium and the first guy slapped the second and yelled "That's Hercule Poirot you idiot."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MassRayPer posted:

Shows being based on a subject would be the kind of cultural diffusion they were speculating about. To me the funny thing is they didn't seem to make the connection between a Sherlock Holmes skit and the fact they were in England. I can guarantee you the WWE writers never thought of a British series or maybe even the movies, they just thought "Wow, we're in England. What's English? We have done the Queen, we've done tea parties... we had a guy with bad teeth... I guess that only leaves Sherlock Holmes. I think he's British."

Someone may have then stated they think he's from Belgium and the first guy slapped the second and yelled "That's Hercule Poirot you idiot."

The thing that makes Sherlock the outlier is that Sherlock is still relevant. And the House/Sherlock thing, while true isn't probably a link many people make. I certainly don't think House when considering versions of Sherlock, even though I do love me some House.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

To which Vince would reply "Hercules was Greek you collage educated dolt!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

Then he would powerwalk to Olympic gold, washing the medal in the tears of Kurt Angle.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Gonzo McFee posted:

:eng101: Hercules was the Roman name for Heracles.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cactus Jack posted:

:eng101: Hercules was the Roman name for Heracles.
Well, someone disagrees with you and here's his rebuttal:

Alea iacta est...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Retro observer has a report of Dave going to an ECW show, including a review of the infamous Sandman/Jack match.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Have you seen Meatballs?!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Have you seen Meatballs?!

Oh dear god that entire tangent was beautiful. I was laughing when Dave said Olivia Newton John TURNED HEEL in Grease, but by the time he got to Slap Shot I was in freaking tears.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm probably going to re-up soon, at least for a month, if nothing else but to get updated TNA Adrenaline Flushes. Anyone know what volume they're up to right now?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What I learned from this week's Art of Wrestling: ODB is as dirty as she is on TV.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CaptainYesterday posted:

What I learned from this week's Art of Wrestling: ODB is as dirty as she is on TV.

BAM!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CaptainYesterday posted:

And she wants you to hold the door open for her.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

coconono posted:

And she wants you to hold the door open for her.

And her dad can't keep a picture of her on his desk at work. :smith:

...but he works for Delta Airlines and gives her the hookup on upgrades. :unsmith:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

LordPants posted:

Retro observer has a report of Dave going to an ECW show, including a review of the infamous Sandman/Jack match.

Also from that issue:

quote:

*The Blue Bloods consist of Steve Regal & Bobby Eaton doing a comedy routine with Eaton re-named "Earl Robert" although they don't try to insult the audience and pretend he's not the former Bobby Eaton. Eaton got the spot originally slated for the departed Jean Paul Levesque ...

What could have been :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can Six Drinks In does wrestling and the Punchsport podcast get a mention in the OP?

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
Happy/Hyper Dave Meltzer is the best. You can practically hear him shake in excitement as he talks about Meatballs and Slapshot.

He was even too happy to give a gently caress about Hornswoggle.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"Lance Storm seems like the kind of Canadian who hasn't seen Slapshot" - I died

Also, Granny watches Revenge, she has good taste in TV

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'd have paid money to see Newman get his rear end kicked. Book it Larry!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

Can Six Drinks In does wrestling and the Punchsport podcast get a mention in the OP?

I'll be happy to edit in your podcast when I get home but PSPCast has its own thread so I don't really see the need.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We just put up a new feature on Smart Wrestling Fan Extra that'll be up on the normal feed in the coming days - a Fantasy Federation Draft, where all of the hosts pick their own dream 30-person roster (20 men, 6 women, 2 announcers, 2 wildcards) and eventually make their own WrestleMania card from these rosters. I'd love to get people's thoughts on it if they get a chance to listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Bryan: "Antonio Cesaro... his gimmick now is that he's a former rugby player who wants to be a wrestler"

Dave: "What! They can't... oh Jesus Christ, whatever."

I think they broke Dave.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 21, 2012

• Locked thread