Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone who would spend nearly $600 on that phone (what with it being a WiMax device) needs to have their head examined.

quote:

The Motorola Photon is the world phone your mom would ask for if she was awesome and had a taste for the top of the line. This 4G smartphone rocks a 1.2GHz dual-core processor and 1GB of RAM to tear through tasks like a rabid wolverine...

Edgy 1990s-style marketing speak is surely an indicator of a fantastic product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

waffle iron posted:

As a heads up, the Burlington, VT area has LTE turned on for the last 3 weeks. Not Sure how far down I-89 it extends but I've got signal from exit 17 to exit 12.

It comes and goes. Parts of Williston and Montpelier have it periodically too. It's pretty nice, about as fast as Comcast's cable service.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone who would spend nearly $600 on that phone (what with it being a WiMax device) needs to have their head examined.

I agree. But, it makes the point that at least it's possible to get 4G on an MVNO. Hopefully, at some point it will be possible to do so, with good hardware and sane pricing, but one step at a time.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Alarbus posted:

It comes and goes. Parts of Williston and Montpelier have it periodically too. It's pretty nice, about as fast as Comcast's cable service.
I've been using Sensorly to map the coverage area:

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Verizon/lte_310verizon#q=south%20burlington,%20vt

I get 1-2 bars in the building I work in and 4 bars in the parking lot. Much faster than the 3G I was getting inside so big podcasts download in under 10 seconds.

Edit: And from the looks of it the Verizon store in Burlington is in a bit of a dead zone.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just got an email about participating in a soak test for my Droid 4. Possible ICS build? :D

vv Well you're a spoilsport.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 17, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kyrosiris posted:

Just got an email about participating in a soak test for my Droid 4. Possible ICS build? :D

Doubt it. It's probably just the same round of patches and radio improvements that the Razr/Razr MAXX got a week or so ago.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
At the rate Motorola releases major updates, by the time they launch ICS, Google will be launching Key Lime Pie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SpacedOut posted:

At the rate Motorola releases major updates, by the time they launch ICS, Google will be launching Key Lime Pie.

Maybe.

But it might actually work correctly too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SpacedOut posted:

Yeah but it probably won't cause your phone to randomly reset or spaz out like all of those HTC updates and the horrific ASUS one they put out for their tablets.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
Speaking of which, any word on Google's Motorola acquisition. Has anything come of it yet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Maybe.

I dont think motorola taking their time has any correlation to a quality product.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SpacedOut posted:

Speaking of which, any word on Google's Motorola acquisition. Has anything come of it yet?

Motorola employees are now google employees and now have my jealousy/envy.

Beyond that? Not so sure, as it's probably going to take a while.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IIRC, Google is going to leave them alone, and they're going to operate just as they have, just with a different logo on their paystub.

Google's primary mission for buying Motorola Mobility was for the patent stores.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you think that Google is going to let Motorola be for any longer than a couple years, you are fooling yourself. Once they clear the rigorous initial regulatory period, the screws are going to tighten. Google makes a lot of money, but has no reason to let Motorola bleed cash on their own.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sigma posted:

If you think that Google is going to let Motorola be for any longer than a couple years, you are fooling yourself. Once they clear the rigorous initial regulatory period, the screws are going to tighten. Google makes a lot of money, but has no reason to let Motorola bleed cash on their own.

Put the screws to them and then a REAL Google phone & tablet every year :neckbeard:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Google cant buddy up with motorola like they want too. They would piss off the government and their partners.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So is the lack of info on the Galaxy Journal because AT&T has an exclusivity agreement on the Note?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Maybe.

Yeah, they did an awesome job with the Gingerbread update for the Droid X. Rebooting, data/telephony drops, keyboard issues, and bricked phones. It took three months for a bugfix release, and then another six until a bugfix release that actually fixed the bugs.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SpacedOut posted:

Yeah right, at this rate I won't be surprised to see phones with Zerbert installed stock.

I just made that dessert up, it's mine don't steal it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay, another quick question about switching to Verizon.

Wife and I would like to switch, she wants a basic phone (Amazon's selection is lovely), and I want a Galaxy Nexus ($49 on Amazon now vs. $299 at Verizon).

Could we ostensibly set up individual plans, her from Verizon's website, and me from Amazon, and then join them together into a family plan? Or will Verizon give us the finger?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My sister's Droid X received an OTA update today. When the device restarted, it came up with a bootloader error. The specific error is "A5,70,00,23." Google turns up two exact results, neither of which are any help at all. Most of the bootloader error threads I'm running into just talk about errors while flashing their own firmware. It seems this has been happening sporadically to people over the past few months. She's spoken with three different VZW customer service reps and hasn't made any headway at all. There isn't any way I'm going to be able to tell her how to flash her own phone's firmware. Is she really going to have to send her phone off to Motorola and pay them to reflash the firmware for her?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Don't buy the Galaxy Nexus. Get a Rezound.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Nostratic posted:

Wife and I would like to switch, she wants a basic phone (Amazon's selection is lovely), and I want a Galaxy Nexus ($49 on Amazon now vs. $299 at Verizon).

Could we ostensibly set up individual plans, her from Verizon's website, and me from Amazon, and then join them together into a family plan? Or will Verizon give us the finger?
Verizon won't but Amazon probably will. Amazon tends to lock you into keeping your current plan for 6 months or they charge your credit card for breaking their terms of service.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for two months now and, no exaggeration, I haven't had a single software issue with it. I thought the speaker was too quiet for alarms, but I'm a jackass and after a few weeks I just started laying the phone face-down. Problem solved. I don't have either a screen protector or case on the phone and it still looks exactly as it did the day I opened it. I was afraid the plastic screen would get a bunch of tiny surface scratches like my Omnia, but so far, so good.

The screen destroys the battery. Wifi/Bluetooth/LTE off, my phone will last for three hours of heavy use using > 65% brightness and almost five hours with brightness around the 10-20% range. Seidio makes NFC-capable 3800mAh batteries for around $60. I'm fairly certain that is a little more than double the stock battery, if you can deal with slightly more bulk. I'm usually up by 7 am and I don't plug my phone in to charge until about 10 or 11 pm. The strange thing is, once my phone is to about 15% battery life, it's super efficient. I've gotten by using the phone (3G) for about an hour once I got the 14% warning.

I've never had a dropped call, but I've probably only talked for a few hours total since I got it. I just hope the LTE portion of my phone isn't bugged because I likely won't find out until after my one year warranty is up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostratic posted:

Buy the nexus off amazon but get the basic phone used off eBay or Craigslist or samart. Don't sign a contract for a $40 phone.

Apr 7, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for two months now and, no exaggeration, I haven't had a single software issue with it. I thought the speaker was too quiet for alarms, but I'm a jackass and after a few weeks I just started laying the phone face-down. Problem solved. I don't have either a screen protector or case on the phone and it still looks exactly as it did the day I opened it. I was afraid the plastic screen would get a bunch of tiny surface scratches like my Omnia, but so far, so good.

The screen destroys the battery. Wifi/Bluetooth/LTE off, my phone will last for three hours of heavy use using > 65% brightness and almost five hours with brightness around the 10-20% range. Seidio makes NFC-capable 3800mAh batteries for around $60. I'm fairly certain that is a little more than double the stock battery, if you can deal with slightly more bulk. I'm usually up by 7 am and I don't plug my phone in to charge until about 10 or 11 pm. The strange thing is, once my phone is to about 15% battery life, it's super efficient. I've gotten by using the phone (3G) for about an hour once I got the 14% warning.

I've never had a dropped call, but I've probably only talked for a few hours total since I got it. I just hope the LTE portion of my phone isn't bugged because I likely won't find out until after my one year warranty is up.

The screen is a Gorilla Glass equivalent, not that this matters because the oleophobic coating scratches like mad anyway.

I've had mine drop to 27% at two hours off the charger with the screen on for half that time.

This:

quote:

Wifi/Bluetooth/LTE off, my phone will last for three hours of heavy use using > 65% brightness and almost five hours with brightness around the 10-20% range.

counts as an issue, software or otherwise. That's out of control.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

LTE being buggy is highly unlikely but if you are worried about warranty there is open enrollment in the Extended Warranty feature for 1.99 / month until the end of April. That extends the warranty until you elect to remove the feature or the eventual heat death of the universe.

The insurance feature is also on open enrollment so you can add it as well, just don't tell anyone if the phone is already broken or lost because then you can't.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Nostratic posted:

Assumptions of Liability void the manufacturer warranty. (ie combining 2 plans into 1 to get a family plan the line that gets combined wouldn't have a warranty unless you take the extended).

See if you can buy the Nexus on Amazon then turn your phone into a family plan with incurring Amazon's own ETF/Plan Change Fee. Like others suggested add a line with no contract using a phone from Ebay/Craigslist

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I'm careful I can make my phone last all day and a little into the next if I don't have an opportunity to charge. What are you guys getting signal wise? If I'm not getting good 4G signal, I drop it down to 3G otherwise it will just eat the battery looking for a signal.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I've had mine drop to 27% at two hours off the charger with the screen on for half that time.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* . Go to battery information and check the scale to make sure your battery isn't shorted. There isn't any reason your phone should drop to 27% that quickly only after an hour of use unless your battery has gone through hundreds cycles.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

LaptopGun posted:

Assumptions of Liability void the manufacturer warranty. (ie combining 2 plans into 1 to get a family plan the line that gets combined wouldn't have a warranty unless you take the extended).

See if you can buy the Nexus on Amazon then turn your phone into a family plan with incurring Amazon's own ETF/Plan Change Fee. Like others suggested add a line with no contract using a phone from Ebay/Craigslist

I've done this research and you can absolutely get a single plan from Amazon and then roll it over into a new family plan through Verizon, even getting the 2nd line from Amazon or Verizon or BYOD.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have an old LG Voyager laying around? I'd like to make sure it has a clean ESN but will pay cash!

(If this is not ok in this thread please let me know)

Apr 7, 2003

Scale is 100 right now, at 36% with 7hr 45m on battery - phone was in airplane mode with wifi on for seven hours of that. Voltage looks good too.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Scale is 100 right now, at 36% with 7hr 45m on battery - phone was in airplane mode with wifi on for seven hours of that. Voltage looks good too.

Your phone is broken, send it back.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kensei posted:

Anyone have an old LG Voyager laying around? I'd like to make sure it has a clean ESN but will pay cash!

(If this is not ok in this thread please let me know)

I have a titanium voyager.

Why would you want one?

Apr 7, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

Your phone is broken, send it back.

AndroidCentral's VZW GN is hundreds of posts deep with people who exchanged three or four to get a functional phone without problems, so it's reasonable to say the LTE model is broken in and of itself.

These are not all isolated examples.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tedious_Bastard posted:

AndroidCentral's VZW GN is hundreds of posts deep with people who exchanged three or four to get a functional phone without problems, so it's reasonable to say the LTE model is broken in and of itself.

These are not all isolated examples.

AndroidCentral is full of spergs who will return a phone if it gets a speck of dust in the earpiece.

So you can either get your phone replaced and see if it helps, or you can be a whiny bitch and keep spouting numbers and percentages of screen on time that NOBODY else here is willing to cosign with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Doctor Butts posted:

I have a titanium voyager.

Why would you want one?

PM sent

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Got my replacement Galaxy Nexus. It's like a night and day difference so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Got my replacement Galaxy Nexus. It's like a night and day difference so far.

I don't understand how this is possible. Someone else had a problem with theirs.

• Locked thread