Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2960970398.html

What do you guys think of this listing? Long story short, I'm very broke and without transportation, and can't work until I fix that (and I'd rather ride than I would drive). Just need something cheap that won't die on me.

The wording is a little dicey, I'm gonna e-mail the guy and ask if he's actually selling a disassembled bike (and if the tank comes separately?) or what or if there's any way I could test drive it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Nilbog Resident posted:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2960970398.html

What do you guys think of this listing? Long story short, I'm very broke and without transportation, and can't work until I fix that (and I'd rather ride than I would drive). Just need something cheap that won't die on me.

The wording is a little dicey, I'm gonna e-mail the guy and ask if he's actually selling a disassembled bike (and if the tank comes separately?) or what or if there's any way I could test drive it, at least.

Ask if it's got a seat.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

The Saboteur posted:

Any thoughts on this SV? Seems like a good seller, and he's done a lot of great stuff to it, but the price is really high for an SV650.

I really want this bike, but I really don't feel like paying more than 3 for it. Anyone have anything I can come at him with (what the market is usually like, etc.) to help me haggle?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/2960590303.html

Tell him that 2008/2009 SV650's have been going for $4,000 used so his asking price is $1,500-2,000 too high.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Ask if it's got a seat.

Hahahaha, poo poo. Good call.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Looking for some advice from you more experienced folks out there on my first bike. My riding skill is extremely low currently, I have only ridden friends bikes twice and the bikes I rode were a GSXR600 and a SV650 respectively. I didn't have a chance to really do much other than take them for a spin around the parking lot. Since I don't have an M designation on my license yet I didn't want to take them out onto the road.

Anyway, I am a large fellow 6'2" and ~225lbs and I will be taking my basic riders course and getting the M designation on my license in ~3 months(early July) so I have began shopping around and checking prices, etc. My budget is around ~4k for my first bike and I will primarily be using the bike for getting around town and commuting to/from work. I have been looking at the CBR250R and Ninja 250R models primarily because I would be able to purchase one brand new right in my price range and the gas mileage/insurance rates on them are very good.

Would it be a mistake to get a CBR250R or a Ninja 250R for someone my height/weight? Should I be looking at a used, larger, 600cc CBR/Ninja/GSXR/etc to fit into my ~4k budget?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

100% Dundee posted:

Looking for some advice from you more experienced folks out there on my first bike. My riding skill is extremely low currently, I have only ridden friends bikes twice and the bikes I rode were a GSXR600 and a SV650 respectively. I didn't have a chance to really do much other than take them for a spin around the parking lot. Since I don't have an M designation on my license yet I didn't want to take them out onto the road.

Anyway, I am a large fellow 6'2" and ~225lbs and I will be taking my basic riders course and getting the M designation on my license in ~3 months(early July) so I have began shopping around and checking prices, etc. My budget is around ~4k for my first bike and I will primarily be using the bike for getting around town and commuting to/from work. I have been looking at the CBR250R and Ninja 250R models primarily because I would be able to purchase one brand new right in my price range and the gas mileage/insurance rates on them are very good.

Would it be a mistake to get a CBR250R or a Ninja 250R for someone my height/weight? Should I be looking at a used, larger, 600cc CBR/Ninja/GSXR/etc to fit into my ~4k budget?

Don't buy new. Don't buy a 600. At most buy an SV650. If you're worried about being too big, buy a DRZ400SM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Even though they hold their value well, buy a used one and sell it for basically what you paid for it later if you want something a little bigger.

While I am not as much of a size nazi as some (I took my license test on a GL1200 Goldwing) I would recommend starting on something small-ish and cheap that you won't cry as much about if you dump it... and you will cry or at least be incredibly pissed off at yourself if it's a new bike.

If you like the sport bike look, a 250CC is OK for learning as you are admittedly very low, and go up as your confidence builds.

Oh, and take a MSF if you haven't planned on it yet.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Don't buy new. Don't buy a 600. At most buy an SV650. If you're worried about being too big, buy a DRZ400SM.

I am looking more for the sport bike type. Definitely won't be buying one of those motocross looking/styled bikes, just not my style/preference at all. Do you think a Ninja EX500R be too much as well? I have seen a few of those for sale locally on craigslist/ebaymotors that looked to be in good condition and within my price range.

slidebite posted:

If you like the sport bike look, a 250CC is OK for learning as you are admittedly very low, and go up as your confidence builds.

Oh, and take a MSF if you haven't planned on it yet.

Glad to hear this since I mainly want something to learn on and build up my skill so I am not too concerned about the lack of power as long as the 250 will get me up to speed decently enough. The fastest I would be going is 50-55 on my commute to work.

As far as the MSF thing you mentioned, I am taking a basic riders course in a few months so that I can get some information/experience as well as get the M designation on my license. Is that what you mean by MSF or is MSF some other type of class? The one I will be taking is a 3 day, roughly 15 hour course taught at a local community college. I believe its 4-6 hours of classroom time and 8-10 hours of actually being on a bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The 500 is a fine choice and yeah, your riders course sounds like the MSF

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nsaP posted:

The 500 is a fine choice and yeah, your riders course sounds like the MSF

Seconded, the EX500 is an excellent beginner bike. It's only slightly heavier and a good bit more capable than the 250.

What about the Suzuki 500 GSF?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

So in addition to my desire to get another DRZ SM since I miss mine dearly, I've also been considering a TW200/XT225 or another mini-enduro thing, since mostly I'll just be tooling around the city. This popped up near me, and I'm wondering if anybody knows much about them:

'91 Yamaha DT200R 2 stroke, apparently has 32hp and weighs like 225-250lbs.

quote:

Starts and runs great. Completely street legal with factory turn signals, lights, horn, speedometer, tach, oil injection system. Has 4700 miles and counting as I will be continuing to ride it. New top end at 3000 miles and new seat cover just put on this past winter. I have clear title in my name. $1600.

I asked about the top end change and he said it was just to 'freshen things up', is this commonly done with two strokes? Does anybody know about the reliability of these? Apparently these weren't sold in the US, but there is easy parts availability as the engine was in the Blaster quad Yamaha sold for many years.

And how crazy would it be to mount street tires to this? It looks like there's some stuff available, 3.00x21 front, 120/90 18 rear.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 18, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Replacing the piston and connecting rod is very common on two strokes, it will set you back maybe $200 in parts. This is done because blow by is a bigger problem on 2-strokes. It dilutes the intake charge, they start to lose power and become harder to start as the rings wear.

Edit: Or maybe the just lose compression faster, whatever the reason, it's normal.

Zool fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Zool posted:

Replacing the piston and connecting rod is very common on two strokes, it will set you back maybe $200 in parts. This is done because blow by is a bigger problem on 2-strokes. It dilutes the intake charge, they start to lose power and become harder to start as the rings wear.

Edit: Or maybe the just lose compression faster, whatever the reason, it's normal.

Connecting rod replacement requires you split the case. It's not very typical.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I believe there's a DT200R thread on ADVrider in the Thumpers forum.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I'm looking at getting a first bike. I don't have my motorcycle licence yet, and am indeed intending to do a safety course.

I'm looking for a recreational ride, not a daily driver. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but haven't done any significant work on a vehicle since auto shop in high school, many years ago. But I do like the idea of doing my own work on something, especially if it means learning along the way.

Exactly how insane would I have to be to buy something like this: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Royal%20Enfield/Bullet/BRAMPTON/Ontario/19_5298690_/?ms=motorcycles_atvs ?

Its a '94 Royal Enfield Bullet Standard, so its a 350 single. I like the looks of it (my style preferences lean toward vintage) and the design seems pretty simple. Being sold as-is worries me, but as i said, I would like to learn to work on one. Obviously parts would have to be ordered from overseas, which is definitely an issue. It's in a low price bracket (it seems bike prices are pretty high in Canada) so I would still have money for good gear and tools.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You'll be wrenching plenty on a bike that says "needs nothing" so a project bike will mean you won't get any actual riding time in. It's more important that you have a bike to learn on. If you want a project bike, get one in addition to something reliable. (speaking from experience)

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
A friend has emigrated and let me take his '09 Speed Triple with 12k miles on it for a little over $11k. That's cheaper than most around here, which run anywhere from 13k for a 2007 with unknown mileage to $14700 new. I am swayed by the look, the new lights don't do anything for me, but those bug-eyes are awesome. He's also thrown in all his triumph branded gear, alpinestar boots, triumph jacket, riding pants, all of the associated tank bags, storage compartments, and more. Am I doing myself a disservice buying it? It's in utterly beautiful condition, as he babied the bike and it already has crash bobbins, and arrow slip-ons.

Convince me goons!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

St_Ides posted:

Exactly how insane would I have to be to buy something like this: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Royal%20Enfield/Bullet/BRAMPTON/Ontario/19_5298690_/?ms=motorcycles_atvs ?

If it helps you to know, bikes are more maintenance intensive then cars. Expect to wrench a bit more on anything with 2 versus 4 wheels.

sildargod posted:

A friend has emigrated and let me take his '09 Speed Triple with 12k miles on it for a little over $11k. That's cheaper than most around here, which run anywhere from 13k for a 2007 with unknown mileage to $14700 new. I am swayed by the look, the new lights don't do anything for me, but those bug-eyes are awesome. He's also thrown in all his triumph branded gear, alpinestar boots, triumph jacket, riding pants, all of the associated tank bags, storage compartments, and more. Am I doing myself a disservice buying it? It's in utterly beautiful condition, as he babied the bike and it already has crash bobbins, and arrow slip-ons.

Convince me goons!

Buy it, sell it, profit?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

sildargod posted:

Convince me goons!

I don't know where 'around here is' but Triumphs depreciate like mad. Is that US dollars? My dealership had a 2012 Speed that might still have been in the breakin, Arrow slipons, heated grips, rearsets, stealthed radar detector, gel seat and some other bits that they sold for $9500 USD. Keep in mind what you see on Craigslist is the stuff that is priced too high to have sold yet.

Regardless though, if it's your buddy it's really up to you, and depending on the gear and accessories that could be a grand or two right there, which would make the price pretty ok. I'm assuming you have riding experience and own a helmet already.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
What should I look at to start out on with a UJM? For example, I love the look of this, but I don't want to get something that's gonna die on me halfway through the season. I honestly don't know much about UJMs but as someone that wants to work up to a Triumph classic, I'd really like to have something that gets by at a reasonable clip but has that styling. Reliability is a concern since my Dad pretty much has said if I get a motorcycle I can't use the garage space for it.

I'm not buying anything until I finish my BRC in a month and a half though. I just like to be aware of my options and costs on each, as well as hear any downsides to starting on a UJM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Dzus posted:

What should I look at to start out on with a UJM? I'd really like to have something that gets by at a reasonable clip but has that styling.

I bought a CL350 for pretty much that reason. Seemed like just the right amount of power and simplicity with the general layout of a classic twin.

I don't think an XS650 would die on you halfway through the season, but I've heard that you need to watch out for old Yamaha electricals.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Every XS650 I've encountered went something like "oh yeah the horn, taillight, and turn signals work when they want to and the starter doesn't work at all."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I bought a CL350 for pretty much that reason. Seemed like just the right amount of power and simplicity with the general layout of a classic twin.

I don't think an XS650 would die on you halfway through the season, but I've heard that you need to watch out for old Yamaha electricals.

Honda's aren't really any better. Any regulator that old probably isn't worth it's weight in salt.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Honda's aren't really any better. Any regulator that old probably isn't worth it's weight in salt.

Aside from a burnt out flasher relay, I've actually had no electrical problems whatsoever. Nice solid voltage from the R/R and everything. That might have to do with the bike only having about 9400 miles on it, though. Certainly all old bikes -- all old vehicles for that matter -- have less than reliable electrics, but I'd just heard more bad things about Yamaha electrics specifically than any other brand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Aside from a burnt out flasher relay, I've actually had no electrical problems whatsoever. Nice solid voltage from the R/R and everything. That might have to do with the bike only having about 9400 miles on it, though. Certainly all old bikes -- all old vehicles for that matter -- have less than reliable electrics, but I'd just heard more bad things about Yamaha electrics specifically than any other brand.

Spend more time working on old Hondas and I'll bet you encounter just as many problems.
Virago starters are bullshit though.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 28, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lifans are apparently the single exception to the rule that states "Chinese bikes are lovely". Apparently they are acceptably reliable and there are enough of them that you can get spare parts. As to how they compare to something like a Ninja 250, though, I have no idea.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Sagebrush posted:

Lifans are apparently the single exception to the rule that states "Chinese bikes are lovely". Apparently they are acceptably reliable and there are enough of them that you can get spare parts. As to how they compare to something like a Ninja 250, though, I have no idea.

I think Gay Nudist Dad has a bit of experience with them. He said somewhere that he loves their engines, but I don't know if that was in reference to their scooters or motorcycles.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 28, 2019

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dzus posted:

I think Gay Nudist Dad has a bit of experience with them. He said somewhere that he loves their engines, but I don't know if that was in reference to their scooters or motorcycles.

Not personally, no. But for Chinese makes their motors are supposed to be good. Very popular to swap onto Honda CTs and other things, since they make clone motors. The rest of a Lifan-made bike, though? Not as certain.

Why do you want one?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love when people put lots of :effort: into their ads:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I just finished the first half of The MSF course and was looking for a small bike and came across this:

Tenchrono posted:

Northern Virginia, 30ish miles south of DC. I found this in the color I want: http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2929188889.html

He wants 2k for it but kbb says $1000 for trade in value and $1,500 for retail from a dealer, should I offer 1200 and see where it goes?

Obviously I'd have to see it in person first, but does 1200 sound good for a nearly 10 year old 250?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Tenchrono posted:

So I just finished the first half of The MSF course and was looking for a small bike and came across this:

Obviously I'd have to see it in person first, but does 1200 sound good for a nearly 10 year old 250?

It looks pretty mint. Prepare to offer 1400 cash.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Im going to call the guy on monday/tomorrow and see if I can do a quick drive around his neighborhood.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

With some bikes you will put off your target market by being verbose. I listed a KLX300R with a hugely detailed description going into every high point and flaw and got no responses. I relisted it with just a picture and a one-sentence description and it sold the next day. Some people associate :words: with bad experiences, like school or prison I guess.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

EDIT: forgot to add I'm a brand new rider. Like the Sportster 883 style, but am not a huge ran of 550+ pounds and 45 horsepower (plus the cost of HD servicing).

Is there such a thing as a ~400lb cruiser with 45-50 horsepower?

I'd like a little bit of go, but don't want to sacrifice handling/braking. The Vulcan 500 has caught my eye, but appears to weigh almost exactly the same as the Vulcan 750 (which is ~525 wet), which is a much higher performing bike.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

28_days fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 22, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Chris Knight posted:

A flat black VFR800 - sounds like all the description you need. Buy it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

A flat black VFR800 - sounds like all the description you need. Buy it.

Flat black: The easy way to repeatably hide a fuckton of bondo and bad welding caused by numerous drops and layerdawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Flat black: The easy way to repeatably hide a fuckton of bondo and bad welding caused by numerous drops and layerdawns.

:eng101: And look like a baller!