Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

Mike Florio posted:

Terrell’s lawyer, Shady Yassin (a lawyer named Shady, really?), says his client is innocent. But Shady made a fairly unconvincing case. “At this point it’s just a matter of one step at a time, trying to take care of everything,” Yassin said. “The law affords him the right of being innocent until proven guilty — and right now he’s innocent. The burden is on the state to prove their case against him.”

Under that standard, everyone who ever has been convicted of any crime in the history of this great nation of ours was, for some finite period of time after committing the crime, innocent.

Reading his whole little article (David Terrel Arrested) he seems to basically argue that the US system of innocent until proven guilty is incorrect, at least in the case of NFL players. Its almost unbelievable, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
From NFL.com

afkdesignz posted:

Goodell makes this league a joke. He is worse than a woman in trying to make his mind up. He needs to take hormones to try to keep his body in check through "the change" and just take a hike to to WNBA or something.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Arschlochkind posted:

I try to stay away from all college football boards for reasons that are abundantly clear browsing this thread.

The thing about stuff like that from NCAA boards though is that the ones I used to occasionally read were frequented without fail by a few giant rear end in a top hat *largest rival here* fans that constantly tried to stir up poo poo (and often easily succeeded). I don't know anything about the UT guys posting in those screenshots but they may be some of that board's resident smug trolls.

I prefer instead to have this solidify my opinion that Aggies are terrible people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ComposerGuy posted:

I prefer instead to have this solidify my opinion that Aggies are terrible people.

Texags was a goldmine the day after the UT loss and also during the coach firing / conference change. I'm not sure if those guys were prominent trolls but that board is one of the easiest to rile up in so many ways.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

ComposerGuy posted:

Of course I may just be a terrible person too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Arschlochkind posted:

Of course I may just be a terrible person too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are fooling me, buddy. I've been to your campus on a game day. :colbert:

Real Talk: I'm just messing with you.

quote:

Texags was a goldmine the day after the UT loss and also during the coach firing / conference change. I'm not sure if those guys were prominent trolls but that board is one of the easiest to rile up in so many ways.

Generally speaking, I find its insanely easy to rile up A&M students/fans. Moreso than any other college I can think of off the top of my head. There is a deeply rooted inferiority complex in that school. It's like part of the culture or something I don't even know. Half their fight songs/chants are about how they aren't UT.

I mean, in fairness, gently caress UT, but still.

They aren't all that way, of course, but there's a general Cult Of Not-Texas vibe that anyone on the outside looking in gets.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
What blows my mind about A&M is just how obsessed with Texas they seem to be. I mean, for fucks sake, the first lyrics of their war hymn is "Goodbye to Texas University". That's pretty damning. The Iron Bowl is a bitter rivalry, but nowhere in our fight song do we reference Alabama because shouldn't a fight song be about...well...your school? And not anyone else's school?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

'Texas Fight' was written in response to an old A&M song and the first words are "Texas fight, Texas fight, and it's goodbye to A&M". UT created the Hook 'Em hand signal in direct response to Gig 'Em. It's not a one-way street. :colbert:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

'Texas Fight' was written in response to an old A&M song and the first words are "Texas fight, Texas fight, and it's goodbye to A&M". UT created the Hook 'Em hand signal in direct response to Gig 'Em. It's not a one-way street. :colbert:

Ah...that's the context I lack not being from that area of the country. So it's not some weird creepy obsession on A&Ms end, just on 65% of their end.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ComposerGuy posted:

You are fooling me, buddy. I've been to your campus on a game day. :colbert:

Real Talk: I'm just messing with you.

Generally speaking, I find its insanely easy to rile up A&M students/fans. Moreso than any other college I can think of off the top of my head. There is a deeply rooted inferiority complex in that school. It's like part of the culture or something I don't even know. Half their fight songs/chants are about how they aren't UT.

I mean, in fairness, gently caress UT, but still.

They aren't all that way, of course, but there's a general Cult Of Not-Texas vibe that anyone on the outside looking in gets.

A&M fans are loving hilarious. The only fanbase I know of that even compares to that level of inferiority complex is Oklahoma State, but they at least can justify it by being on the wrong end of the most lopsided in-state rivalry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Morby posted:

Ah...that's the context I lack not being from that area of the country. So it's not some weird creepy obsession on A&Ms end, just on 65% of their end.

More like 80% on their end. And that's really only with the older people. The true rival for Texas is Oklahoma U.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

I'm an A&M alum and even I'd say it's about 70/30 on our side. Honestly, A&M has an inferiority complex but imagine "an inferiority complex combined with dealing with Texas fans on a daily basis" and it starts to make a little more sense.

Now both sides have to pretend we don't give a gently caress until we play each other again in 2028 or whenever.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
UT fans are obnoxious too, don't get me wrong. I tend to pick on A&M more though because for whatever reason, A&M alumni seem to incorporate A&M into every single aspect of their lives until the day they die. Not a day goes by that I don't see a 40 year old man or woman give the Aggie "Whoop!" or see a bumper sticker extolling the virtues of A&M or "sawing varsity's horns off". It's like they never leave college, they just take it with them. I don't see that NEARLY as much from any other university I have even superficial contact with outside of a game-day or other sports setting.

I mean, jesus. I went to a good school, got a good degree, and then I moved on. Sure, I love my school and all...but there are limits. It's a school.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

I'm an A&M alum and even I'd say it's about 70/30 on our side. Honestly, A&M has an inferiority complex but imagine "an inferiority complex combined with dealing with Texas fans on a daily basis" and it starts to make a little more sense.

Now both sides have to pretend we don't give a gently caress until we play each other again in 2028 or whenever.

This is true. Texas fans are often horrible. The post above raises a good point too in that I run into a lot more A+M people that carry a mentality about the school well far removed from college. Sometimes that can be a little... 'interesting'.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Well, this is topical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdOqgOv51fQ&feature=youtu.be

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Want to make it rain on a statue

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

I...

...yeah that's about right.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Either a genius troll or a horrific trainwreck, I'm not sure which, but this stupid poo poo is going to be stuck in my head for a week.

edit: ahahahaha dancing in the loving racquetball courts, I stand corrected video is awesome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I grew up in College Station :smith:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

the most lopsided in-state rivalry.

Battle for the Rag has got to be close.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

atlas of bugs posted:

God drat

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

atlas of bugs posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedlam_Series#Football

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They call PSU-Temple a rivalry in press releases but its not a real one. But if it was, its like 35-3-1 for PSU.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Temple hasn't beaten Penn State since 1941.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DJExile posted:

God drat

Now you glimpse what it's like to be a Tulane fan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Now you glimpse what it's like to be a Tulane fan.

Hey now, you guys can at least wander off your campus to a waiting streetcar and end up in bourbon in less than an hour. LSU just kicks your rear end at football for close to 50 years. Plus you throw rad welcoming parties that I got to crash.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People at patsfans.com are completely losing their poo poo over the Trayvon Wilson pick. Apparently the 1st round never happened and Belichick has no idea what he's doing with his draft picks. :rolleyes:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People at patsfans.com are completely losing their poo poo over the Trayvon Wilson pick. Apparently the 1st round never happened and Belichick has no idea what he's doing with his draft picks. :rolleyes:
To be fair Jacksonville got crucified for taking Anger in the 3rd and he had a higher draft grade than Trayvon Wilson in the 2nd. Still, the Pats 1st round was super solid.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're probably confusing him with Trayvon Martin and are upset that Belichick would use a draft choice on a dead guy.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

haljordan posted:

They're probably confusing him with Trayvon Martin and are upset that Belichick would use a draft choice on a dead guy.

Bill does like to wear hoodies.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Your guys 1st round was a legitimate B+/A- for need/value/talent

The rest of your draft was pretty lovely, to be absolutely honest. If Denarrd gets off then its an insane steal. If not, it's a wasted pick.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't think a 7th round pick can ever really be considered a "waste."

And the DE in the 3rd round seems like a solid situational pass rusher.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He was a 4th round DE. New England reached consistently through this draft, which is something they can afford to do with their number of picks and quality of team right now.

I know this hurts to think, but Bill Belichick didn't have a good draft. He doesn't need one, obviously, but he had a pretty crappy 2-7.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Considering that the majority of 2nd round picks that were deemed "steals" made during Belichick tenure completely bombed (Butler, Wheatley, Jackson, etc) I'm not too down about it. If it doesn't work out, oh well that's the norm.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's considered more of a run stopping dude and a project as a pass rusher but he had a real good 3-cone and shuttle and the Pats value that highly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering that the majority of 2nd round picks that were deemed "steals" made during Belichick tenure completely bombed (Butler, Wheatley, Jackson, etc) I'm not too down about it. If it doesn't work out, oh well that's the norm.

Yup, that's exactly why I also have the caveat giving the Patriots a lovely grade in that they dont really need to go for value anymore. They're at a point where they are above it.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

From the Texans forums, on the team signing Case Keenum:

quote:

So I take it with this signing the trade of Jacoby for Colt McCoy will not likely happen? :(

blankoblanco
Apr 3, 2009
Posted on the Jaguars website:

quote:

With the offseason pickups of Robinson and Evans, and now drafting Blackmon, did one of our weaknesses become one of our strengths? If you look at the wide receiver corps from top to bottom now, on paper, they look like one of the best in the league.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

blankoblanco posted:

Posted on the Jaguars website:

I mean, that's not totally unreasonable. Blackmon/Robinson/Evans is miles better than what they had last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankoblanco
Apr 3, 2009
Hard not to be miles better when last year they were probably the worst in the league. To now say the Jags have one of the best WR corps in the league, thanks largely to a rookie and Lee Evans? I don't see how that's anything but "totally unreasonable"

• Locked thread