Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sockser posted:

Is it normal to be bothered that heads are cut off in nearly all of those?

This seems to be a new thing. Pretty sure most of the Jason Statham's Safe posters do the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sockser posted:

Yeah it's bugging me too. They'd probably look better in a frame on a wall but laid out on a screen like that it looks bad.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sockser posted:

Obviously they didn't want anyone to find out that Bruce Willis is bald.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe me dumb, but I didn't know that was a word. I had to look it up to be sure. I can't tell if I like that or hate it.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Here's all 8 character posters

The last one looks like they accidentally included a Mortal Kombat character.
Edit:

kiimo posted:

Maybe me dumb, but I didn't know that was a word. I had to look it up to be sure. I can't tell if I like that or hate it.

It's French, look at the release date.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thanks for the link! I like those posters.

That last poster is Jinx, who I'm surprised they put in one but am glad they did.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait gently caress, the RZA's in this movie too!?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait gently caress, the RZA's in this movie too!?

Blind karate master RZA who trained Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

The last one looks like they accidentally included a Mortal Kombat character.

To be honest they all kind of look like they could be Mortal Kombat posters. The Rock is Jax of course.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Codependent Poster posted:

gently caress that's awesome.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'd see the movie for that alone.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of heads being cropped off in posters. It's not that it disturbs me, I just don't find it interesting at all. Maybe it's not meant to be anything stylistic but it's kind of lame if it is.

At least it's not like the cropped half-face thing. :xd:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

bobkatt013 posted:

Or the Smallville episode Hero. STRIDE GUM
People remember that over "here, take my Toyota Yaris"?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nothing beats the three episode arc that the Nissan Rogue got on Heroes.

Saved this which tickled my fancy at the time and still does.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/heroes.jpg

(Please please please don't probate me for posting a macro, it is from a different time.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man and here I was going a good couple of years of successfully purging that scene/season from m head. gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well poo poo. Didn't watch the first one but I'll have to make sure I see this one just to help pay for movies featuring Kung Fu and RZA.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

kiimo posted:

Nothing beats the three episode arc that the Nissan Rogue got on Heroes.

Saved this which tickled my fancy at the time and still does.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/heroes.jpg

(Please please please don't probate me for posting a macro, it is from a different time.)

USA Network's The Dead Zone Tylenol placement was HORRIBLE.

*Plot based conversation.
Suddenly, someone has a headache. "Do you have some TYLENOL?"
"Yes, here."
*CLOSE UP OF BOTTLE HAND OFF, LABEL CLEAR TO READ.

They did this multiple times in the final season.

I also seem to recall a clip of a daytime soap opera where a character showed up to a cafe or something with a box of healthy cereal, which they went on to preach about for a few seconds before returning to the plot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What about the Thomas Crown Affair remake which was a serviceable heist movie, except for the bit where Rene Russo's character has to stop everything in the middle of exposition to guzzle down a soda (a Pepsi, I think) while everyone waits patiently for her to finish?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When I saw the promo for this in a theatre, I was convinced that John McClain had made his way into the new GI Joe movie. Not only did it turn out not to be true, but no one else knew who I was talking about.

It was a failure all around. :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Das Boo posted:

When I saw the promo for this in a theatre, I was convinced that John McClain had made his way into the new GI Joe movie. Not only did it turn out not to be true, but no one else knew who I was talking about.

It was a failure all around. :(

loving hell. Find new friends.

--------------------------------------

Here are the character posters for On The Road

triteon
Feb 20, 2005

Those quotations are terrible. I love love.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess we're supposed to immediately recognise the characters or something, but I've never read any Kerouac, so it means nothing to me. I'm sure the people Kerouac based his book on weren't half as pretty as that cast though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is Viggo Mortensen playing William Burroughs? He and Amy Adams are almost unrecognizable.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vagabundo posted:

I guess we're supposed to immediately recognise the characters or something, but I've never read any Kerouac, so it means nothing to me. I'm sure the people Kerouac based his book on weren't half as pretty as that cast though.

All I know about Kerouac is that On the Road is up there with Atlas Shrugged when it comes to books that people cringe to remember liking.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I barely had the patience to put up with On The Road when I read it. The style kind of repulsed me to the point where I don't think I could offer a fair analysis, but I recall it being quite the self-centred ramble.

It's definitely not the kind of story that's built around having a big recognizable ensemble cast (the vast majority of characters only drift through the narrative for brief segments), so the character posters feel like a complete misfire.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Vagabundo posted:

What about the Thomas Crown Affair remake which was a serviceable heist movie, except for the bit where Rene Russo's character has to stop everything in the middle of exposition to guzzle down a soda (a Pepsi, I think) while everyone waits patiently for her to finish?

Yes, this is my go-to example of overbearing product placement. It was a diet coke(EDIT: found a pic, it was Pepsi One), I think, and she just stops her conversation to drink the whole thing, label towards camera, and then pause to look refreshed.

The times product placement bothers me are when it breaks the fourth wall and shows the seams of the movie, so to speak. It takes you out of the story and reminds you of the machinery behind the scenes, and it's a bummer. That said, there are ways to do it that are either funny, subtle, or interesting, and I am all for that.

(Wayne's World, at 4m 52sec, is a favorite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACBAu9coUU

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 21, 2012

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That's pretty neat, where did you find them? Are there more?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, those are pretty cool, though the text on the Gump poster is the wrong way round.

Edit: I'm dumb. It's the text in front of his feet, instead of behind him, that threw me off.

VVV

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 21, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, those are pretty cool, though the text on the Gump poster is the wrong way round.
Except that it's not?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Young Freud posted:

Is Viggo Mortensen playing William Burroughs? He and Amy Adams are almost unrecognizable.

Yep, or "Old Bull Lee" anyway. But will he be better than Peter Weller? Adams is Joan/"Jane" to boot.

Vagabundo posted:

I guess we're supposed to immediately recognise the characters or something, but I've never read any Kerouac, so it means nothing to me.

Is there any reason to care about this film if you don't like the book? I've heard a lot about it, but it's all boils down to "it's the first film adaptation of this well loved book".

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Those are pretty neat, shame they don't reveal anything new or interesting with the POV flipped. That could've made them really cool.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Can't wait for the film adaptation of On The Bro'd:

It's exactly what you think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really wish that if after watching that movie, I could say "yes. That poster was an exact representation of what that movie was all about."

Speaking of obnoxious product placement, it was really weird being lent a copy of Dracula 2000 by a friend, and after a while realizing there is never not a Virgin logo somewhere on screen.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TheJoker138 posted:

That's pretty neat, where did you find them? Are there more?

Dunno. Was in the top images in imgur's gallery yesterday, which means if I go digging around Reddit for a few hours I might find something but gently caress that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It never occurred to me that I would love a product placement.

But Resse's Pieces in ET and Nike in Back to the Future 2. Love them both.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

It never occurred to me that I would love a product placement.

But Resse's Pieces in ET and Nike in Back to the Future 2. Love them both.

The least offensive (for lack of a better word) product placement is when the real company advertises using a fake or future product. The shoes in BttF 2 are a perfect example, or the cars in Minority Report, even if the latter were concept cars and not complete fantasy.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sockser posted:

Dunno. Was in the top images in imgur's gallery yesterday, which means if I go digging around Reddit for a few hours I might find something but gently caress that.

Not being a dick, just for future information: Most of the pictures on imgur have a source link to the right that will take you to the Reddit post they came from. Then usually someone in the comments will have linked the original source.

In this case, they came from a marketing campaign for LG. Those seem to be the only three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there any reason to care about this film if you don't like the book? I've heard a lot about it, but it's all boils down to "it's the first film adaptation of this well loved book".

It's doing a fantastic job in ensuring I'll probably never see the movie with quotes from the book that I'm sure are meant to be profound statements about whatever. "I love love?" "The road is life?" gently caress off.