Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

That reminds me, I saw this checklist on the local racer forum:
Don't forget the key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I'll be driving down the night before, so it's good to hear that I can get set up in advance.

Here's another checklist I found on the local riding forum.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I like that one, it even has check boxes!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

anchorite posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll be driving down the night before, so it's good to hear that I can get set up in advance.

Here's another checklist I found on the local riding forum.

Some of that stuff is a little weird.
If you need a sawzall (with extra blades) just pack up and go home, you are having a lovely track day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The sawzall is so you can the record straight with the bike of the guy who took your line last session on your hot lap

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
any houston/texas goons wanna do a trackday at MSR Houston on april 29th?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Gullous posted:

Oh man...

someone tell me how to make this and I'll do it for my first bike

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Gullous posted:

Oh man...

i want it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So today I finished up buying the remaining items to turn my SuperStock legal SV track bike into a wee SV Superbike.

GSXR triples, wheel and 750 forks, off to the local suspension guru for an overhauling. R6 monoblocks, braided lines and a Brembo MC. Can't wait to feel the difference this front end makes.

My bike was setup very nicely from the PO, I've posted about it before, but the guy I bought my SV from poured all his money into it and then sold it to me for basically nothing. The fork internals and the rear shock are setup very, very nicely. Sadly though, they're setup for someone who's 180 lbs, that's not me. So some of the feedback from the front end was a little vague, and a little scary at times. Looking forward to having that all be addressed.

I also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket for a little more oomph to get drive up the inside.

Next things I'll be working on is A) painting the new set of plastics I have set aside and B) getting the power commander I took off the day I bought the bike tuned in correctly.

It doesn't stop me from wanting a 600 for track duty, but it does make me like my lovely little SV a bit more, and that means more skill building.

T minus 16 days till the next track day.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

An observer posted:

Make a subframe tail thing
Cut the fairing up
Bolt on a dirt bike fender, headlight
Cut up your exhaust
spray paint your wheels

Subrame is the hard part

Spiffness posted:

UPGRADEZ

I wanna see rolling 70mph stoppies at every turn. I know you have the feedback, man!
I can't wait to see that thing come together!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 20, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

An observer posted:

If someone sends me a 250 I'll make one of those for them. Gullous?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Veritas posted:

any houston/texas goons wanna do a trackday at MSR Houston on april 29th?

Tease.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Z3n posted:

If someone sends me a 250 I'll make one of those for them. Gullous?

I'll click the gift wrap option :v

The guy does have two $300 ninjas :) I'll click the gift wrap option!

TBH, my brother is eager to get on a bike, and being broke, he's looking for the cheapest ride possible. He got really excited when I mentioned this setup...

He may be manning a corner station May 5/6th for $150!

Regarding 250 racing; I decided its not in the cards for now. I have a good track setup with tons of room to grow. Racing dirt is a cheaper and more accessible sport at this time :)

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i'll be thrashing a friend's endurance 250 around on the 29th. man i miss riding one.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The first trackday at the Ridge ran a new racer school and they were red flagging every session. Here is video I found from one session (2 wrecks):

Mudding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=554s
I know the guy who went off here. He said his rear sunk 3' into the mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=755s
A group rules with C group skills

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gullous posted:

The first trackday at the Ridge ran a new racer school and they were red flagging every session. Here is video I found from one session (2 wrecks):

Mudding

This is my biggest fear about track days, that I'll just be learning and someone else will run into me and wreck me and/or my bike. Is there anything to do to avoid this other than avoiding big packs of riders?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't take a bike to the track if you're going to have serious issues with throwing it in the trash afterwards.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Resource posted:

This is my biggest fear about track days, that I'll just be learning and someone else will run into me and wreck me and/or my bike. Is there anything to do to avoid this other than avoiding big packs of riders?

try not to worry about it to much. most novices wreck on their own accord, not because of someone hitting them. intermediate group on the other hand, has the greatest range of riders. novices that just moved up, and people who think they're Rossi. talk about sketchy moved and F'd up lines. makes me nervous to watch from the sidelines. even with that being said, most wrecks in novice/int are rider error, and not collisions. just go out there have fun, and learn.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That second crash in the first video :doh:
How many people were running in that group? It looked like absolute hell.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Mudding

Watching that video... I thought they were running A group? That looks D group.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Why would they plant trees along a racetrack?!?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Why would they plant trees along a racetrack?!?

This is Washington, it was a forest before the track got there. The trees are, very out of the way. The racetrack isn't actually finished. I know more walls, air walls, and other such things are going to happen this summer, as well as facilities and doing a final paving of the track.

Compared to the other track we have in western Wa (Pacific Raceways) this is like racing on clouds. PR has run off areas that give you about 10 feet before it's just cedar trees

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

This is Washington, it was a forest before the track got there. The trees are, very out of the way. The racetrack isn't actually finished. I know more walls, air walls, and other such things are going to happen this summer, as well as facilities and doing a final paving of the track.

Compared to the other track we have in western Wa (Pacific Raceways) this is like racing on clouds. PR has run off areas that give you about 10 feet before it's just cedar trees

It's not quite that bad... more like 4 feet to a steep rocky slope that goes down to cedar trees. Actually that might be worse.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Its hard to tell from the gopro, but the trees aren't really a concern. Plus what Spiff said.

Don't let this video scare anyone from the track, I've never seen this much drama in B group. That session was "New Racer School" - riders who want to race, but have no experience doing so. There was a read flag almost every session, it was ridiculous. Take all those "Rossi" riders from B group, give them the go ahead to rossi it up, and you're going to see stupid poo poo like this.

Their last session was a mock "race". It was red flagged on the 4th lap.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I signed up for the May 5th & 6th trackdays at Ridge, and picked up 5 gallons of 110 octane for the RS. I'll be bringing the KTM or Husky along as well, the RS may not handle too well with my weight.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

I signed up for the May 5th & 6th trackdays at Ridge, and picked up 5 gallons of 110 octane for the RS. I'll be bringing the KTM or Husky along as well, the RS may not handle too well with my weight.

Husky through the corkscrew would be amazing! What does it top out at? I hope to have my 690 there, too.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Husky through the corkscrew would be amazing! What does it top out at? I hope to have my 690 there, too.

I'm not exactly sure, around 100 I think.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
track tomorrow!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

track tomorrow!

Fun Fact: I had the money to go but sold my leathers to get the money!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
haha nice. good day today. i'm dead tired.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

haha nice. good day today. i'm dead tired.

You ever do ridesmart? I might have to hit up one of those soon since they have the free leathers rental for first timers.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

You ever do ridesmart? I might have to hit up one of those soon since they have the free leathers rental for first timers.

i do if my friends are riding, and it meshes with my schedule. what size leathers do you wear?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

i do if my friends are riding, and it meshes with my schedule. what size leathers do you wear?

I have a size 38 jacket from a fieldsheer 2pc and it's a little small, and I remember the suit being small, so I'm guessing like a 42?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I rode yesterday, 4/30 at the Ridge again. It was a rainy monday, so the turnout was ~20 people. After lunch it became an open track, it was pretty fun, and a great way to learn rain riding.

I bought rain tires; I figured I live in Seattle, it probably a worthwhile investment.

Than I crashed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvQJLSXL1Qw&t=320s

This was later in the day. I follow my friend for a few laps, pass him on T1, and lose the rear as I crest the 70' hill of T3. I was fine, and my CUSTOM frame sliders did their job (I shortened them).

I did the same thing early in the day, too. I crest the hill and find my bike drifting, pointing right and I'm dragging my elbow/thigh. I let go, but my foot is under the tail, so I have to kick it free. All while sliding; it was surreal.

After the early morning spill I focused on smooth inputs and exploring lines. The open and empty track was a rare opportunity.

Ultimately, I exceeded my bike's abilities; both crashes were my fault. With that being said, I think looking at the suspension won't hurt. Both wrecks occurred under intense suspension loads, and the bike's suspension is stock (sprung for 170lbs, I'm 210).

I've heard the superbike tail setup improves feedback. Think switching to a thinner seat pad would help? I'm running the stock seat.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
pic of my buddy dragging elbow through turn 16 & 17 at MSR Houston. he said he slowed down so he could put his elbow down, in front of the photographer. poser.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Veritas posted:

pic of my buddy dragging elbow through turn 16 & 17 at MSR Houston. he said he slowed down so he could put his elbow down, in front of the photographer. poser.

He wlowed down...wow! Do they even sell elbow sliders?

My 2pc zipper was damaged yesterday; one tailor wanted to charge me $125, taking three weeks. The other lady just said no, wouldn't even sell me a zipper. $10 at a fabric supply store and I have have everything I need.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
his suit actually has some magnesium sliders at the elbows. never thought people would use those unless they were crashing.

i have some arlen ness gloves, and boots. i like 'em.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Gullous posted:

He wlowed down...wow! Do they even sell elbow sliders?
They don't. It kind of sucks too because there is a seam right there on most suits (unless they have external armor there). A few of my friends are lanky and will get unintentionally their elbow down when they're going at race pace. Good way to prematurely destroy a suit.

edit, case in point:

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2012

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
that is some wicked lean angle. awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Or you could tuck your elbow in like, oh, I dunno, every MotoGP rider on the planet. :v:

Also it's hilarious to ruin people's elbow dragging photos by passing them on the outside when they park it for the cameras. Bonus if you can do it without even getting a knee down.

• Locked thread