Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

It never occurred to me that I would love a product placement.

But Resse's Pieces in ET and Nike in Back to the Future 2. Love them both.

You forgot Demolition Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think the beauty of the BTTF2 product placements was that they were sort of in on the joke, and the brand was happy to be attached to whatever ridiculous format that they were presented in, so it felt less insidious.

The whole "vintage converse" thing from I, Robot still leaves a bad taste and I don't even know how many loving years it's been since that film came out. 10?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

kiimo posted:

It never occurred to me that I would love a product placement.

But Resse's Pieces in ET and Nike in Back to the Future 2. Love them both.

I always liked this exchange in the first Back to the future:

Lou: You gonna order something, kid?
Marty: Ah, yeah. Give me- Give me a Tab.
Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.
Marty: Right. Give me a Pepsi Free.
Lou: You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.
Marty: Just give me something without any sugar, OK?

It mentions real world products, but uses them in a joke about Marty being a fish out of water.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus christ, enough with the product placement derail.

I'm in two minds about this design. It's kind of lazy with a lot of empty space, but at the same time, it's sort of reminiscent of road signs which I guess makes sense.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Christ, I can't think of anyone who fits less with those three than Richard Ayoade.

e: And I mean that in the most complementary way to him.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Vagabundo posted:

I'm in two minds about this design. It's kind of lazy with a lot of empty space, but at the same time, it's sort of reminiscent of road signs which I guess makes sense.

I like it, even though it seems a little derivative of the poster for The Devil's Rejects (which I'm sure is derivative of something else).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vagabundo posted:

Not one loving name above the right loving actor

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Sockser posted:

This one isn't even that hard to fix! Just move Ayoade to the far right and it's done with!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sockser posted:

That's not how it works.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This gets explained like 10 times a month, but its about contracts and isn't something to be "fixed".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I know the whole deal but it still pisses me off.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This whole British invasion thing going on is messing with my loving head. Ayoade next to stiller, Cornish working for Spielberg? What planet do I live on?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Vagabundo posted:

I thought they pulled this movie because of what happened to Trayvon Martin.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Slasherfan posted:

I think they pulled the trailer and have 'reconsidered' their advertising campaign, but they can't afford to pull or move the film itself at this point, I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
First Zoolander after 9/11 and now this. Ben Stiller should just stop making movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

This is an earlier poster, with just Stiller, Vaughan and Hill presumably making up the neighbourhood watch, complete with bullet holes and green stuff on a "no skeleton faced silhouettes wearing hoods" sign.

I'm guessing the new design with Ayoade's name added to the billing and then his photo placed as the first person in the ensemble is their attempt to try to let people know that it's not going to be like "George Zimmerman: American Hero" or anything like that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Those two posters look like they aren't even the same movie, I'd have had no idea there's a sci-fi angle to the plot if I had only seen the new poster.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 22, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

Those two posters looks like they' aren't even the same movie, I'd have had no idea there's a sci-fi angle to the plot if I had only seen the new poster.

I didn't even know that was an aspect of the film judging it from the trailer.

I might need to see this now. It's funny how they could completely remove itself from the Trayvon Martin tragedy by playing up the fact there's aliens in that movie.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Young Freud posted:

I didn't even know that was an aspect of the film judging it from the trailer.

I might need to see this now. It's funny how they could completely remove itself from the Trayvon Martin tragedy by playing up the fact there's aliens in that movie.

That's what's surprising about the new one, they completely ignored that opportunity.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Oh look, finally a poster is made so people can't complain that the names don't match the order of the faces! Are you happy now, Sockser?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Tom Waits with a bunny rabbit makes that poster rule.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Tom Waits with a bunny rabbit makes that poster rule.

Martin Mcdonagh making a movie with that cast makes it rule, holy poo poo how have I not heard of this?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ToastyPotato posted:

This gets explained like 10 times a month, but its about contracts and isn't something to be "fixed".

Design the poster around where the names are going to be. If your contractually obligated to put the names in a certain order, figure out the order and then go from there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess having it explained 10 times a month still isn't enough for some people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

uPen posted:

Design the poster around where the names are going to be. If your contractually obligated to put the names in a certain order, figure out the order and then go from there.

Also part of the constantly repeated explanation, is that billing order and poster design elements are often separate contract terms. Some people are obligated to appear more prominent in a poster, even if it just means putting them closer to the center of a group.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Throw all contracts out the window, it's a goddamn poster deal with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So declare all agreements between the parties involved null and void because you have an issue with poster design. Right.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

uPen posted:

Throw all contracts out the window, it's a goddamn poster deal with it.

Celebrities are never picky about contracts or their image so this would work.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Vagabundo posted:

So declare all agreements between the parties involved null and void because you have an issue with poster design. Right.

I imagine that these contracts which have such specific stipulations about elements on a piece of advertisement is mostly why this thread exists. Posters are awful because whoever is designing the poster has to conform to a dozen different parties all with different requirements about how exactly their face will appear on this piece of paper.

Is a poster that's so awful that it's getting publicly mocked still accomplishing it's goal of drawing an audience? I know when I see an awful photoshop hackjob it doesn't make me want to see the film.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

MorgaineDax posted:

I didn't know they were making a Killer Seven movie!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MorgaineDax posted:

Oh look, finally a poster is made so people can't complain that the names don't match the order of the faces! Are you happy now, Sockser?

Wow, this is the most 90s poster I've seen in quite some time. If that Helvetica was in italics it'd be indistinguishable from period - look at the costumes! Is it set in the 90s? Abbie Cornish's shoes are.

(I like it).

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

echoplex posted:

Wow, this is the most 90s poster I've seen in quite some time. If that Helvetica was in italics it'd be indistinguishable from period - look at the costumes! Is it set in the 90s? Abbie Cornish's shoes are.

(I like it).

McDonagh's stuck in the 90s, so it makes sense. (I can't wait to see the movie, mind you)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

I like this poster quite a bit and think it's a clever way of getting around the billing order/lineup issue, tyvm.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

uPen posted:

I imagine that these contracts which have such specific stipulations about elements on a piece of advertisement is mostly why this thread exists. Posters are awful because whoever is designing the poster has to conform to a dozen different parties all with different requirements about how exactly their face will appear on this piece of paper.

Is a poster that's so awful that it's getting publicly mocked still accomplishing it's goal of drawing an audience? I know when I see an awful photoshop hackjob it doesn't make me want to see the film.

Nolan's TDK had a poster where Batman was staring at a beam and it was one of the biggest grossing movies ever. So the answer is yes, it is still accomplishing it's goal, OR posters are a mostly insignificant marketing tool these days and are mostly used as "reminders", where as trailers, which are commercials for movies, are now getting hyped up all on their own.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Nolan's TDK had a poster where Batman was staring at a beam and it was one of the biggest grossing movies ever. So the answer is yes, it is still accomplishing it's goal, OR posters are a mostly insignificant marketing tool these days and are mostly used as "reminders", where as trailers, which are commercials for movies, are now getting hyped up all on their own.

I am unsure of the whole business side of posters versus trailers, but I can say that I have a weakness for a good poster. Trailers can be very persuasive for getting me to see a film, yet I cannot hang a trailer on my wall to admire every day.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Nolan's TDK had a poster where Batman was staring at a beam and it was one of the biggest grossing movies ever.

Yeah, but it also had this:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
And this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But also this

The Dark Knight campaign was more or less focused entirely on the characters, rather than who was in it - up until Heath Ledger passed away. After that, it was "Holy poo poo, look at Heath Ledger as the Joker! HOLY poo poo!"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Man, the Dark Knight posters loving ruled.

Shame it basically went the way of Animal House or Scarface or Resevoir Dogs, though.

vvv I don't think I've even ever seen the playing card one before

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sockser posted:

Man, the Dark Knight posters loving ruled.

Shame it basically went the way of Animal House or Scarface or Resevoir Dogs, though.

I'd still hang the playing card poster on my wall. If I let annoying fans ruin things for me, I'd enjoy very little in life.