Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

artshavin posted:

If any of you suffer endlessly from shin splints like I do, perhaps there's a bit of preventative advice you could lend so that they don't plague me as bad??

I've discovered this one weird trick to prevent shin splints forever!

Seriously, though, see this post from earlier in the thread, and do this stretch at least every day, more if you can (it's easy to do while you're watching tv or browsing the forums or taking a dump or whatever you like to do while sitting down). I dealt with the same pain for probably a year or more before I started doing this, it's never come back. I don't do the stretch as often now, I usually just include it in my warm-up routine, or rather before I get my gear on, since it's easier to do it barefooted.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=375275177&forumid=175

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That link isnt working for me

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

mixitwithblop posted:

So I've heard this is how you condition yourself to play fullback:

1)Dribble up the pitch
2)Kick ball to starting position
3)Sprint down the pitch

5)Repeat 1 to 3 until you puke

6)Do it again every 2 days

Yup. This. I really just do this as conditioning in general. I look a right git but it works.

ALSO: update on the shin splints. Doing a lot better with stretches and maintenance, still experiencing a lot of tenderness but I think if I keep at it I'll be able to get past any splint pain forEVER.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

mixitwithblop posted:

So I've heard this is how you condition yourself to play fullback:

1)Dribble up the pitch
2)Kick ball to starting position
3)Sprint down the pitch

5)Repeat 1 to 3 until you puke

6)Do it again every 2 days

There is no 4?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Guitar_Hero posted:

There is no 4?

4) ??????

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

That link isnt working for me

Whoops http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=375275177&forumid=175p

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

Thank you very much for this.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Interesting, thanks. I really like what this thread has become :)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I played 75 minutes in a game Sunday, and felt good enough to play in a pick up game afterward....
I got inadvertently hit in the nose. It was bloody, swollen, and crooked. The cartilage looks to be in place now, and a lot of the swelling is gone, but now I have a black eye.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I can reset my nose at will after an elbow in the late 90s. Pops into place if I flare my nostrils tho

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

cosmicjim posted:

I played 75 minutes in a game Sunday, and felt good enough to play in a pick up game afterward....
I got inadvertently hit in the nose. It was bloody, swollen, and crooked. The cartilage looks to be in place now, and a lot of the swelling is gone, but now I have a black eye.

Panda eyes

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Just played 7 on 11 and won 5-1, three man back line with me at sweeper sup

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm going to have to try these exercises. It's hard to stay off my feet though when I have to walk around campus so much and I generally play on Sundays.

Another issue that I think aggravates the pain is getting kicked in the shin too.

I meant stay off your feet as in not running or whatnot. If you get pain from just walking around, that's usually really bad...

quote:

MTSS or stress fracture?

A patient with MTSS has pain at the inner portion of the tibia in the middle of the lower leg and in the surrounding soft tissue (Fig.). A patient with a stress fracture feels pain around the upper outside portion of the tibia. With MTSS, pain usually disappears once the activity that causes the pain is reduced or stopped. With a stress fracture, however, the patient usually experiences pain that does not go away with rest.

The pain often persists with walking and increases when walking up steps or during similar moderate activity. The patient often complains of pain at night. A "one-leg hop test" is a functional test often used to distinguish between MTSS and a stress fracture. A patient with MTSS can hop at least 10 times on the affected leg; however, a patient with a stress fracture cannot hop without severe pain.

I've been in that boat before. Ended up having to cease all exercise for like 6+ weeks because I tried to just tear through it with tons of ibuprofen. Big mistake. I started developing severe SI joint pain as well.

Speaking of which, my shins have actually been acting up again and I'm getting a slight tingle in my lower back / hips for the last few days...

:smith:

Guess I'm going to have to take my own advice for at least a couple days.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Forgot one more thing, if you've got posterior shin splints like I do, taping them up before you play can help a lot. Hell, I tend to leave them taped up in general when it's bad.

There are some crazy methods on youtube, but this simple one seems to work just fine for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRB3OuZXe0

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

I meant stay off your feet as in not running or whatnot. If you get pain from just walking around, that's usually really bad...

I think it has a lot to do with getting hit in the legs and sores from the artificial turf I play on too. I went into the corner 50/50 with a bigger guy and when I hit the ground the top of my knee looked like it had a skin graft.

My confidence on the ball is awful.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I think it has a lot to do with getting hit in the legs and sores from the artificial turf I play on too. I went into the corner 50/50 with a bigger guy and when I hit the ground the top of my knee looked like it had a skin graft.

Mine is too. I love playing, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not the best player and it comes through in how I behave with the ball. The best thing for it, I've found, is to work on my fundamentals. Get together with a friend (or more than one) and just practice passing, passing while moving, one and two-touch passes, and strengthening your weaker foot. Once you get a better feel for the ball it'll come across in your play.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I went into the corner 50/50 with a bigger guy and when I hit the ground the top of my knee looked like it had a skin graft.

Like this?

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/86TfW.jpg:nms:

Yes, those black bits are the stuff from the turf. Three weeks later now and my knee still looks like I'm a burn victim.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Guitar_Hero posted:

Mine is too. I love playing, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not the best player and it comes through in how I behave with the ball. The best thing for it, I've found, is to work on my fundamentals. Get together with a friend (or more than one) and just practice passing, passing while moving, one and two-touch passes, and strengthening your weaker foot. Once you get a better feel for the ball it'll come across in your play.

Sometimes I practice with just my left foot, but the pace of a real game is hard to match. It doesn't help that I play with mostly foreigners who buzz around the pitch like mini-Messis. I either get relegated to defense or I naturally drift to the wing on the right (my better foot and my speed basically).

I dread having to play in goal.

Shrapnac posted:

Like this?

Yep. I hate having to peel that poo poo out of my socks and turning boots upside down makes it rain.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Shrapnac posted:

Like this?

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/86TfW.jpg:nms:

Yes, those black bits are the stuff from the turf. Three weeks later now and my knee still looks like I'm a burn victim.

Four years ago, astro turf did this to me:

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/7Huh6.jpg:nms:

lovely pictures, but that was freshly after i sprayed disinfectant on it and cleansed it.
That took almost two months to heal up properly, still have some sort of scar there.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Same. I'm slowly building up my confidence by progressively working on the skills listed here: http://ballskills.wikispaces.com/

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
We're talking about knee injuries? I can join in on that one!

One of the games I play is a pretty casual affair; between 7 and 11-a-sides depending on how many people turn up. I used to play in goals a lot; then a couple of years ago I got a nasty concussion when I took a shot to the face. I was in hospital for a couple of days and missed a month of work, when I got back my confidence was totally shot so I moved to LB/CB.

A month and a half ago I took a stamp to the ankle from a late tackle. He was wearing blades so it hurt like a motherfucker. I moved back in goals. Suddenly I can play like I used to! It's great, I'm saving all the shots!
Except we now play on astroturf.

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/MXgbt.jpg :nms:
(Just after cleaning)

I have this whole hangup where even though it's a game where we barely even keep score I can't help but try and save everything. Which is why as soon as the damage from that picture had healed over I did this last friday:

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/SDTKK.jpg :nms:

It reopened the old damage then went deeper again. The worst part was this was 5 minutes into a 90 minute match without a break so by the end of the game I was head to toe covered in blood, as was my box.
I'm playing again tonight. I have to remember to stay on my feet. Or at the very least go down on my other leg for once.

My kingdom for a game on grass.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Holy gently caress, get a neoprene sleeve or something to cover it, that's brutal.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Shrapnac posted:

Holy gently caress, get a neoprene sleeve or something to cover it, that's brutal.

After tonight I definitely agree with you. Or maybe I should just stop playing football!

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/M6Pgb.jpg :nms:

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

i wish we had grass. or astroturf. or anything that's not uneven concrete that doubles as a teenage drinking hangout and is usually covered in broken glass.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Soylent Green posted:

After tonight I definitely agree with you. Or maybe I should just stop playing football!

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/M6Pgb.jpg :nms:

not sure if you're playing the wrong or the right way, but you really should stop playing football for a week or two to let that heal.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

all these knee pics look exactly like mine did, I still have a scar there, it's like a dark reddish colour, it took weeks to heal properly.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Dude, they make pants for a reason.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

That recent series of burn-victim photos has at least given me some motivation to go get some thin kneepads before my first turf game this Saturday because gently caress having knees that look like that.

e: Also this is the poster child for "Yeah. You know that thing you're doing. Stop doing that. Yeah, that".

e2: Sspelling.

Thel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 23, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tweaked my hamstring in the last 10 seconds of the game today chasing down a meaningless ball over the top in a game we were winning 6-0. Guess that's what I get for trying to grab an extra goal. The referee even said that time was up while I was chasing it down but he was going to let me play out the sequence. Thanks guy.

Time for some RICE and a couple weeks off probably.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Run it off mate

it's what they do at Arsenal

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm recovering from the flu and I'm playing 5-a-side tonight. What can I do to make the most impact on the game with as little movement as possible? Lie down on the goal line? Do I do a Drogba and carefully select when to turn it on and when to writhe on the floor, holding my groin?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I had a really good game on Sunday morning!! When I was in goal, I saw one of my teamsmates was hanging out by the opposition goal and was tapping his forehead, although he was being marked. So I crossed it from dead-ball in goal - it curved right over the marker's head and the striker didn't even need to move; it bounced of his forehead and the keeper didn't end up diving. Headed goals in those tiny-arse 5-a-side goals are so satisfying! I slipped as I crossed it which ruined the image a bit but God, it felt just like Alex Song crossing it to Van Persie to bury it.

He reciprocated the favour later when he was in goal. He just booted it up front for me to run on to. As it was coming down about 3 metres in front of goal, I dived forward legs first and swung my right boot at it. I probably connected more with my shin than the outside of my boot but it felt like a lovely goal.

So in summary, sometimes the long-ball does work.

Nice knee injuries by the way guys :barf:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you score with your foot more than your shin, you're doing something wrong

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hallowed Turban posted:

I had a really good game on Sunday morning!! When I was in goal, I saw one of my teamsmates was hanging out by the opposition goal and was tapping his forehead, although he was being marked. So I crossed it from dead-ball in goal - it curved right over the marker's head and the striker didn't even need to move; it bounced of his forehead and the keeper didn't end up diving. Headed goals in those tiny-arse 5-a-side goals are so satisfying! I slipped as I crossed it which ruined the image a bit but God, it felt just like Alex Song crossing it to Van Persie to bury it.

In 5 a side dont you play that you cant go above head height?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Taff posted:

Some leagues will have rules about that (head or shoulder height), don't usually bother when just playing with mates though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Not in our games. Only rule is no shooting from your own half.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Taff posted:

Our league games are usually like that but this was a casual game so we're just pissing about mostly, still had an excellent game.

Chas McGill posted:

Not in our games. Only rule is no shooting from your own half.

This too, usually. Also no slide tackles etc. Usual Powerleague rules.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Same here. No slide tackling, although I've broken that myself, and the ball can bounce anywhere just to give me the chance for scissor kick clearances :D We also do "no shooting in the box, no touching it in the box unless its the goalie" and "goalies can only touch it in their box" but it has to be pretty blatant for anyone to give a hoot.

Can't play tonight I'm afraid, girlfriend has a staff meeting which will run late so she needs picked up. Didn't have a game last night either since I had a birthday meal on. Nice too have a weeks break. Just a pity the Diablo 3 beta ended today :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Playing with a colleague who is 6'7" tonight. The long ball might be a viable tactic. Hope he's on my side, though I've no idea if he's any good at football. He's a semi-pro cricketer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chas McGill posted:

Playing with a colleague who is 6'7" tonight. The long ball might be a viable tactic. Hope he's on my side, though I've no idea if he's any good at football. He's a semi-pro cricketer.

Ian Botham was the most pro-cricketer ever and he ended up playing 20-odd games for a professional football team after a recovery from injury.

I'm guessing your mates a bit more of a tall lanky fast bowler though.